PDA

View Full Version : i want to move to paris.

newalizeefan
12-27-2006, 12:35 AM
currently i live in sacramento, california and i hate it.
from pictures/videos/scenery in movies, it seems like Paris is a very great place to live and it made me want to move there.
my plan so far is to
-Finish my education in music
-Learn French and be fluent in it
-Move to Paris
-Teach music there (mainly piano, but anything will do)

i know that will take a great deal of time and im hoping ill be able to fulfill those goals or else im gonna get stuck living a boring life here in sacramento.
well i got some questions to anyone who has ever visited or live in Paris
-How expensive is it to live there?
-How easy would it be to find a job?
-Whats the fashion there (for males)? im a fashion geek and i dress to impress.
-For the future: how much money should i have saved up from the US before i finally decide to move?
-Are the French really rude?
-Lastly, is it worth it?

MaiFromSanFrancisco
12-27-2006, 12:39 AM
yeah... sacramento wats out there.... i live in san francisco. Paris is nice, but i think san francisco is as close to paris u can get, without moving millions of miles.

newalizeefan
12-27-2006, 01:11 AM
well i dont want to live in the US. i just dont like it much here

blueskyy
12-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Are you in high school or college? You will need to do a lot of research on immigration. As I understand it you can't just up and move to wherever you want. One way to do it is to get a job with a company that has a branch overseas and you may be able to transfer over there. It is also possible to contact companies in other countries and apply for a job. If you are hired, usually the company will help you with work visa etc. The hard part is they usually don't bother with foreigners unless you are in a job that is in high demand. I believe the high demand jobs are doctor, teacher, and some other highly specialized technical fields.
This is just general info that I have found out over the years from my own desire to move abroad, it's not specific to any one country. I could be wrong though.

HibyPrime
12-27-2006, 02:20 AM
-How expensive is it to live there?
You can bet it would be like any other city, the better the area you live in, the more $$ you have to fork up.

-How easy would it be to find a job?
There are agencies in just about every major city that will help new immigrants find work, residence and some will even help you get accustomed to the way of the natives.

Can't answer that one for you (obviously), but I would think you should move there first and worry about what to wear after, lol

-For the future: how much money should i have saved up from the US before i finally decide to move?
Depends on a lot of factors, I'll list a few:

1. Do you plan on finding a job right away?
2. What type of neighborhood do you want to live in?
3. What standard of living are you expecting?

and so many more..

-Are the French really rude?

Of course they are, just as all Americans are fat McDonalds loving slobs on welfare.

-Lastly, is it worth it?

If you want it, it's worth it.

If you don't know if it's worth it, these other questions really arent questions you should be asking...

Theres a test that I learned from a life skills coach, it will tell you what you are willing to fight for, and what is just a pipe dream.

Imagine yourself on a skyscraper roof top, there is another skyscraper 50 feet away, there is also a 1 foot wide wooden board bridging the two buildings together. A man is beside you, and tells you "If you cross that bridge, I will take you to Paris and give you everything you need to live there, if you don't cross it, there is no chance whatsoever of you EVER making to to paris." If you fall trying to cross the brige, there is no chance of you surviving.

There are very few things many people would cross the bridge for, just about the only common one between everyone is if that man was going to kill a family member should you not cross the bridge.

Do you cross the bridge?

newalizeefan
12-27-2006, 04:10 AM
well im in 3rd year college but i plan on taking a lot more years of school.

with the skyscraper thing. thats a pretty tough(but good) question.
i guess right now its more of a pipe dream, but in the future HOPEFULLY i can say that i would cross the bridge. its just too early for me to answer that question at the moment though. i mean i never planned on staying here in sacramento, but i also never planned on where i should live in the future either. but i have always wanted to live in a nice city.
there are 2 options that i hope to atleast 1 happening
-move to paris
-move to new york
then theres the other option which if none of those 2 happened then
-stay in sacramento (or california for that matter)...which i dont want

CFHollister
12-27-2006, 05:01 AM
Theres a test that I learned from a life skills coach, it will tell you what you are willing to fight for, and what is just a pipe dream.

Imagine yourself on a skyscraper roof top, there is another skyscraper 50 feet away, there is also a 1 foot wide wooden board bridging the two buildings together. A man is beside you, and tells you "If you cross that bridge, I will take you to Paris and give you everything you need to live there, if you don't cross it, there is no chance whatsoever of you EVER making to to paris." If you fall trying to cross the brige, there is no chance of you surviving.

There are very few things many people would cross the bridge for, just about the only common one between everyone is if that man was going to kill a family member should you not cross the bridge.

Do you cross the bridge?

Interesting test. I'll have to file that one away. Seems good for sorting out the really important stuff. Though it seems to me that there are a range of priorities between willing-to-risk-certain-death and "pipe dream" that it doesn't address.

HibyPrime
12-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Interesting test. I'll have to file that one away. Seems good for sorting out the really important stuff. Though it seems to me that there are a range of priorities between willing-to-risk-certain-death and "pipe dream" that it doesn't address.

It's only really meant for life changing decisions, there really isn't an in-between for those type of decisions. I probably should have said that before.

I think permanently moving half-way across the world counts as one of them big choices in life

RMJ
12-29-2006, 07:50 PM

I know nothing about fashion but since Courrèges had the "pink" ( = Red ) dress on their window month ago, I bet it's in fashion now ! (well, atleast red and white color for sure... again, according to that view on window...)

Oh yea, it's not exactly for males.. but... at least you'd be unique. :blink:

And I'm moving to Paris someday... It will be cheaper to live there than travel to there all the time for few days... :blink:

blueskyy
12-30-2006, 02:24 PM
You may want to look at a book called "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America," by Mark Ehrman.

RMJ
12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I wonder if there is guide to stop making guides. There must be, since there is guide for everything else, too. :blink:

HibyPrime
12-30-2006, 03:41 PM
You may want to look at a book called "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America," by Mark Ehrman.

Your placement of that comma inside the quotation brings much irony

Sir Wood
12-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Your placement of that comma inside the quotation brings much irony
Eeh, care to explain that? :confused:

HibyPrime
12-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Eeh, care to explain that? :confused:

He was talking about a guide to leaving America, and used the American standard of putting all punctuation inside the quotations.

Just a little bit of irony that stuck out when I read it

aFrenchie
12-30-2006, 06:14 PM
And I'm moving to Paris someday... It will be cheaper to live there than travel to there all the time for few days... :blink:
How often do you come in Paris?He was talking about a guide to leaving America, and used the American standard of putting all punctuation inside the quotations.
I've always been shocked by that illogical placement of the punctuation inside the quotations when it should be outside but each time I thought it was a mistake by the author! So it's standard in English?? :confused: (or American English?)

HibyPrime
12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I've always been shocked by that illogical placement of the punctuation inside the quotations when it should be outside but each time I thought it was a mistake by the author! So it's standard in English?? :confused: (or American English?)

It's the standard for American english. The British standard (i.e. just about all other english speaking countries) is to logically place the punctuation in or outside the quotation.

Edit: theres a bunch of sources here. (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=punctuation+inside+or+outside+the+quotation&btnG=Google+Search&meta=)

Azereus
12-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Yea it's an American thing. In Canada, we put the punctuation outside the quotations. Many words also differ in spelling in America compared to Canadian english.
For example, Color= American
Colour= Canadian
(Just incase you didn't know.)
They'res a bunch others as well.

RMJ
12-30-2006, 08:51 PM
How often do you come in Paris?
Well, if the current trend continues, I'd say 4 times a year. :blink:

Well, I have been only 2 times in Paris so far... 3rd coming in end of January. That's 3 trips to Paris in the past 9 months. :blink:

Yea, it's really weird. How can one know if the punctuation is supposed to be part of the quote or is it part of the whole sentence structure ? :blink:

SupaKrupa
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Yea, it's really weird. How can one know if the punctuation is supposed to be part of the quote or is it part of the whole sentence structure ? :blink:

Take this for example:

Think about what the book is called - Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America

The author wouldn't put a comma at the end of it and make it: Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America,

The punctuation is part of the quote if the quote has the punctuations in it (Example: "You're an Alizée fan, RMJ"). If not, it's always outside of the quotes as the punctuation is part of the ENTIRE sentence and not only the quote. In the case of the book, the quote is only the name of the book so it should not have the comma in the quote as the book name is/was not published with the comma in it (I hope not anyways...).

Hope this isn't too confusing :)

HibyPrime
12-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Take this for example:

Think about what the book is called - Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America

The author wouldn't put a comma at the end of it and make it: Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America,

The punctuation is part of the quote if the quote has the punctuations in it (Example: "You're an Alizée fan, RMJ"). If not, it's always outside of the quotes as the punctuation is part of the ENTIRE sentence and not only the quote. In the case of the book, the quote is only the name of the book so it should not have the comma in the quote as the book name is/was not published with the comma in it (I hope not anyways...).

Hope this isn't too confusing :)

You're defining the non-American way of doing it. The American way says the puncuation is ALWAYS inside the quote regardless of wether or not what is being quoted has any punctuation in it.

'You may want to look at a book called "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America," by Mark Ehrman.'

This is actually correct by American standards.

SupaKrupa
12-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Errr yeh, forgot to mention that I was explaining the non-American way... :(

DJ_Greg
12-31-2006, 12:28 AM
You're defining the non-American way of doing it. The American way says the puncuation is ALWAYS inside the quote regardless of wether or not what is being quoted has any punctuation in it.

Except in the case of:

Have you read "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America"?

HibyPrime
12-31-2006, 01:02 AM
Except in the case of:

Have you read the book "Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America"?

Opps! Sorry, question marks don't follow that standard, they are the only type of punctuation that are placed logically in American english.

c-dawg777
12-31-2006, 02:36 AM
Not to proceed more off subject track or anything. When you refer a book, the title should be italisized. If you are refering an article (newspaper, magazine, or whatever), then the title will appear in quotations. The title of the article/book should remain untouched. Meaning all punctuation should be outside the title.

The way it was written.

The way it should have been written.
You may want to look at a book called Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America, by Mark Ehrman.

This, of course, is for American English, as for other countries I have no idea.

"Italics are used for the titles of works of literature and art. (The titles of articles, chapters, and other short works are not italicized but are enclosed in double quotation marks.)"
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style#Quotations)

For further info on the subject... the above website has very good writing tips.

RMJ
12-31-2006, 03:03 AM
LOL

Your posts kinda proves that it is confusing. :p

And SupaKrupa, I wasn't really asking how it works since it's not that hard to understand. :p

It's just doesn't have any point. Why to put comma inside quotes if you aren't quoting it. :blink: Quotation marks excatly what they are called, they marks the text you are quoting. So, if you aren't quoting the comma, then why on Earth to put it inside the quotation marks !

HibyPrime
12-31-2006, 03:43 AM
It's just doesn't have any point. Why to put comma inside quotes if you aren't quoting it. :blink: Quotation marks excatly what they are called, they marks the text you are quoting. So, if you aren't quoting the comma, then why on Earth to put it inside the quotation marks !

Your rationality is scaring me, you remind me of myself (which is a bad thing, I'm pretty sure)...

On topic: I want to move to paris as soon as the money is available, I just have no clue what I'm going to do once I'm there... I figure I'm going to need a shitload of money since I will need to learn to speak the language fluently before I could get a job.. Maybe I could teach english? lol

newalizeefan
12-31-2006, 04:25 AM
i wish i had such a better reason to move to paris...
such as (fake): Paris is the only place where i can teach piano for my age

haha thats fake but thats such a better reason then, i like paris and i hate the US.

HibyPrime
12-31-2006, 04:27 AM
i wish i had such a better reason to move to paris...
such as (fake): Paris is the only place where i can teach piano for my age

haha thats fake but thats such a better reason then, i like paris and i hate the US.

Seems like a perfectly legit reason to me.

bt_bird_90
12-31-2006, 05:42 AM
c'mon newalizeefan, please keep the hatred of certain countires to yourself, I can respect your right to an opinion but I'm invoking my own right to be an ass, try to keep that stuff off the forum at least, thanks

rcs
12-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Newalizeefan,

I know what you mean about Sacramento. I lived there for a few years and kept waiting for that city to explode in population and fun. It never happened, but it's what you make of it I guess. If it makes you feel better, I remember reading that Sacto has the most trees for its size just 2nd to Paris. LOL :D

Good Luck with your conquest to move to Paris. :cool:

RMJ
12-31-2006, 06:24 AM
c'mon newalizeefan, please keep the hatred of certain countires to yourself, I can respect your right to an opinion but I'm invoking my own right to be an ass, try to keep that stuff off the forum at least, thanks

Maybe he is from America ? If so, he has all the rights to tell it sucks.

bt_bird_90
12-31-2006, 06:31 AM
... ....... ... .... .

newalizeefan
12-31-2006, 06:51 AM
Newalizeefan,

I know what you mean about Sacramento. I lived there for a few years and kept waiting for that city to explode in population and fun. It never happened, but it's what you make of it I guess. If it makes you feel better, I remember reading that Sacto has the most trees for its size just 2nd to Paris. LOL :D

Good Luck with your conquest to move to Paris. :cool:

lol. yea i might only be hating the US because i live in sacramento lol. theres other factors but id rather not say, considering the truth is hard to handle.

Moe
12-31-2006, 06:52 AM
i would like to hear your humble opinion on the matter, bt_bird_90 :p

bt_bird_90
12-31-2006, 06:54 AM
Maybe he is from America ? If so, he has all the rights to tell it sucks.

Exactly, and my point is that I have the right to say his telling of it sucking sucks; gotta love those beautiful American freedoms. :D

RMJ
12-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Umm...I don't think "freedom" and "America" fits in the same phrase.

bt_bird_90
12-31-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and not type another word, else I could end up getting banned. :D

Good day to you, sirs.

CFHollister
12-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Umm...I don't think "freedom" and "America" fits in the same phrase.

I am an American that is very well aware of this country's many faults, domestically and internationally, presesntly and in history. And I am also an American who is very often critical of my own country and may too chose to emmigrate out of dissatisfaction. However, a realistic assessment of the United States or the "American Dream" should not be taken too far to the other extreme. "America" and "freedom" most certainly are words that belong in the same phrase. Ok sure, not everyone in the United States may be equally free (but this is not a condition that is met in any country in the world), and there may even be countries which in some rational asssesment may be "more free" than the United States, or the way the United States has conducted itself in other countries may not coincide with its own proclaimed ideals of freedom. However, it is simply undeniable that the citizens of the United States enjoy a great deal freedom, especicially compared to many other parts of the world. And I also have the hitorical perspective to know that this degree of freedom in the world is a direct result of the republican movements started in both the United States and France at the end of the the 18th century. Now I have no delusions about the "greatness" of the United States. But at the same time I am fully aware, and greatful, that I live in one of the countries in the world where I am free to persue a life of my chosing within certain economic and social limitations which have not been eliminated in any society now or in any part of history; and that I enjoy the freedom to voice whatever critisisms of this country that I chose... conditions which certainly do not exist in many other parts of the world.

I chose to be realistic about the extent and limitations of "American freedom," but that realism cannot not be taken to the point of your statements. To do so in all seriousness is just as innane as taking an untainted pro-American position, and is likely to illicite even stronger reactions than this one. I suggest that this discussion may not need to take place on a site dedicated to Alizée and may even be removed, not to supress anyone's right of speech, but for lack of appropiateness and towards the intent of this site.

EDIT: I'm here to share in the collective adoration of Alizée and participate in the community of fans brought togther here... not to debate politics or topics that so easily entangle themselves with politically charged issues.

bt_bird_90
12-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Thank you CFHollister.

RMJ
12-31-2006, 08:14 AM
lol... you guys take way too seriously to be American. :p

If I'd say the same words to any other nationality and they couldn't care less what I just said.

That's why it's fun of making fun of Americans every now and then. You know exactly what the response will be. :) It's definitely my second favorite right after religions. :)

Hmm... or should being American to be considered as religion actually ?

CFHollister
12-31-2006, 08:24 AM
lol... you guys take way too seriously to be American. :p

If I'd say the same words to any other nationality and they couldn't care less what I just said.

That's why it's fun of making fun of Americans every now and then. You know exactly what the response will be. :)

Perhaps, let's just try to keep things good-natured and respectful.... regardless of the nationality. That being said, if you come into a forum with so many American members, hosted in the United States, and you say things along those lines... you do have to take some responsibility for what you may unleash. Poking fun and being insulting is a thin line to cross in any text-based communication media that lack the benefits of intonation and facial expression/body language; so one has to be extra careful lest you be misinterpreted.

In addition to my opinions on the United States, I have my thown theories to explain the phenomenon you're describing about Americans (though I truly doubt it's limited to Americans only), but again, that's something I'm not here to discuss.

Ben
12-31-2006, 08:29 AM
That being said, if you come into a forum with so many American members, hosted in the United States, and you say things along those lines... you do have to take some responsibility for what you may unleash. Poking fun and being insulting is a thin line to cross in any text-based communication media that lack the benefits of intonation and facial expression/body language; so one has to be extra careful lest you be misinterpreted.
Now you really are taking it too seriously. Laugh (or don't) and move on. In such a limited medium, it only becomes an insult (which, btw, in this case I can guarantee it wasn't) when you choose to respond to it as such.

RMJ
12-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Yeah, listen to Snatcher. He knows these things and his even American. :)

But in case someone didn't realize... I don't really said those things too seriously. :rolleyes:

DJ_Greg
12-31-2006, 11:03 AM
bt_bird, I think the smilie you were looking for in that situation was::rolleyes:.

I haven't met a European yet who didn't think he was an expert on America and Americans.

guldebrett
12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
So everybody.. be proud that we all love Alizee. Isn't she beautiful? No need to answer, we all know that one instinctively.

rwd716
12-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Some funny and interesting things have been said on this thread, but this brings up alot of tension.

SupaKrupa
01-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Don't worry Yanks! We Aussies love ya! Afterall, you "Americanised" us :D Mmmmm coke... and Paris... Hilton...? :confused: (That bimbo is all over our news...:blink:)

I've heard a lot of très, très bad things about USA which I hope is entirely false, since it actually concerns the entire globe, but we have a PM who said he wouldn't mind living next door to a nuclear reactor in a very poor attempt to persuade the public that nuclear is the future!

So... Paris eh?... It's amazing that Alizée has done this to me. Before I discovered her, Travelling/moving to Europe (who am I kidding, France) was not an option. But now? It's almost a certainty. How does someone who you don't even know have such an effect on someone?

Sigh... Alizée... damn you for doing this to me!!! but thank you for it even moreso!! :D

c-dawg777
01-01-2007, 06:02 AM
Just out of curiosity... newAlizeefan, what countries have you been to? Or better yet how many states have you been to?

DJ_Greg
01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Don't worry Yanks! We Aussies love ya! Afterall, you "Americanised" us :D Mmmmm coke... and Paris... Hilton...? :confused: (That bimbo is all over our news...:blink:)

I LOVED the time I spent in Australia (east coast trip: Cairns to Sydney in 3 weeks). I wish I had been older when I went - I probably would have appreciated it more at the time. The country was beautiful, and all the people seemed really friendly. I don't think I could have felt more welcome.

I'll never forget the hippie-looking dude who came up to me and my friends and said, "I love your accent!" :D

Sir Wood
01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Going OT/emo (please don't ban me.):

See, this is the reason why I don't like such discussions that involve politics, global or national. Everyone has an opinion. Discussions become heated and things are said that should not have been. Also, this isn’t the best format for such discussions because context is not translated well over the internet (e.g. a person's tone in the message whether serious or joking).

Folks on this site know that I'm glad and proud to be an American. I've served my country honorably. Of the years I’ve served, most have been overseas because I wanted to experience other culture and I enjoyed every moment of it. Granted there are things that we may not be happy with here in the US, but you'll find that any where you go. Where ever you are, the grass well always be greener on the other side. In the end, my belief is nothing beats being home in the good old U.S.A.

Before you start bashing or hating America, I'm specifically addressing fellow American citizens, I suggest you visit your local VA hosipital and tell that to the men/women there. For goodness sake, you're an American. Put your voting rights to use. Write to your congress person. Take part in your given rights and participate in the political process.

I'll get off my soap box now... :rolleyes:

newalizeefan
01-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Just out of curiosity... newAlizeefan, what countries have you been to? Or better yet how many states have you been to?

ive only been to phillipinnes, hawaii, nevada (LV & reno).
not much of a travel person

SupaKrupa
01-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I LOVED the time I spent in Australia (east coast trip: Cairns to Sydney in 3 weeks). I wish I had been older when I went - I probably would have appreciated it more at the time. The country was beautiful, and all the people seemed really friendly. I don't think I could have felt more welcome.

I'll never forget the hippie-looking dude who came up to me and my friends and said, "I love your accent!" :D

Hehe yeh, I like the American accent when I hear it either over ventrilo or in person - not on TV though... just too much of it haha (It's funny. If you were to ask anyone I know to talk in a yank accent, they'd be able to do it) I suppose it's because it's different and I like different things :D

rwd716
01-03-2007, 04:26 AM
I speak fluent "Yank" :p

bt_bird_90
01-03-2007, 05:46 AM
A buddy of mine in the military said he was in a bar in Austrailia and he spilled his drink, then he asked the bartender for a mop so he could clean it up, he said she was so astonished she called some of her friends and they took pictures of this amazing gentleman who offered to clean up his own mess. :eek:

c-dawg777
01-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Yeah... umm... I would deffinately suggest visiting anywhere you plan on living. This of course going out to NewAlizeefan. For example, ever since I was very young, I thought I wanted to live in New Zealand. After spending some time there, I now know that you could not pay me to stay there. I'm not dissing it if there are any Kiwi's here. It's gorgeous and all, just not what I had built it up to in my mind.

SupaKrupa
01-03-2007, 07:59 AM
A buddy of mine in the military said he was in a bar in Austrailia and he spilled his drink, then he asked the bartender for a mop so he could clean it up, he said she was so astonished she called some of her friends and they took pictures of this amazing gentleman who offered to clean up his own mess. :eek:

Hmmm... I guess it depends on how much he had lol. I only turned 18 a few months ago, so I'm not much of a drinker yet... Dunno much about bar life. But my brother drinks and my sister's BF is the biggest tank I know and when they drink, they really lose it. I don't think they'd be mopping a floor... unless it's with their face. So yeh... Umm... I guess that's pretty astonishing for someone to ask to mop a floor...

newalizeefan
01-03-2007, 11:49 AM
of course, i wouldnt live in a place i've never visisted.

HibyPrime
01-03-2007, 01:05 PM

I don't think that had anything to do with the country, I think it had to do with the calibur of the bar he was at..

Sooner or later everyone will realize all westernized countries are identical in nearly every way.. I have a dream! lol

OGRE
01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
currently i live in sacramento, california and i hate it.
from pictures/videos/scenery in movies, it seems like Paris is a very great place to live and it made me want to move there.

Not to sound too trite, but comparing the experience in ONE city (U.S., or otherwise) to pictures, videos, and scenery of another city (U.S. or otherwise) is not a balanced comparison. Language excepted (or maybe not), you can get as much culture shock moving from Sacramento to other cities in the U.S. as you can moving from Sacramento to Paris.

Finish my education in music

Yes, finishing education is a good plan.

Learn French and be fluent in it

Have you considered a student exchange program? There is no substitute for being THERE, when fluency is your goal. And a music exchange program would also establish connections you would need when/if you decide to move there.

Are the French really rude?

No nationality is rude per se. People are rude. You really gotta take 'em one at a time. There is also a vast difference between city, suburban areas, and country. And age plays a role as well. However, there is friction between the U.S. and France right now. That friction tends to set the foundation for first impressions, on both sides of the pond. The media and information outlets like to stir the pot. I have a strong feeling the general popuation on both sides have a skewed (and incorrect) perception of the general population on the other side. Hence, first encounters will likely be guarded, which can be interpreted as "rude". The best ice breaker is language. Speak fluent French, and that will go a long way toward knocking down the barriers errected by politicians, media, and our preconceptions.

Unknown
07-10-2007, 05:42 AM
moving in Paris is too expensive for me!
lol just kid! 14 year old guy have dream! to move in Paris lol!

marik
07-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Slifer sometimes dreams come true but if you want to reach it! believe in yourself!
i know someday we will see each other in one place of France!:)

Killian
07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Panzer, I think he meant that all French people are rude, in the same way that all Americans are fat slobs. In other words, it a small proportion that was turned into a ridiculous stereotype. Like all Irish people being drunks, or all Britsh people having bad teeth.

elfman5150
07-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Well, I was born in France, though I did not live in Paris. I can address a few of your concerns. I grew up in Lyon, and I suggest that if you are considering moving to France, you should look into moving to Lyon. I lived on the river Rhône, and the whole area was beautiful. Of course, most of France is great, with good food, great scenery, and people. No, the French are not rude, as this is a common belief. If we were rude, then we would have not helped in the American Revolution more then likely.
I have visited only a few times, but I can tell you that like Lyon, Paris it is a great place. Be careful, because many people there are expert pick-pocketers, which i guess is kind of rude. If you have any more questions, please ask me. Thanks
Oh and by the way, France (especially Paris) is going to be a lot colder then what you are used to, so be prepared!

Killian
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
No, the French are not rude, as this is a common belief. If we were rude, then we would have not helped in the American Revolution more then likely.

Well, that example doesn't really apply. In essence you helped the Americans because of your deep rooted rivalry with the British. Then, afterwards, when your monarch tried to raise taxes to help regain funds because of the crippling effect helping the Americans, your people revolted. Obviously, there were other reasons for the rebelion which were very valid, and I completely agree with the rench for having rose against the first and second estates. But the lengths people went to ensure the success of the rebellion were quite horrific. But you did eventually regain peace so all is well again, I suppose.

Bear in mind that I am, in no way, implying that the French are rude. On the contrary, I have been to France many times and found the people to be warm and welcoming. Obviously some people were not, but this is to be expected anywhere. The many spoil it for the few as they say.

elfman5150
07-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Well I'm going back to France for Bastille Day. I am leaving this Friday the 13, which is actually good luck in France (America is just weird and calls it bad luck lol). I am staying for 20 days, visiting realatives and such, then coming back. I guess I'll find out if Paname (Paris) is filled with rude people nowadays.

Tye
07-10-2007, 03:57 PM
The whole rude thing I think is differences in culture. It is the same with Americans from the South and those from the North. A lot of people from the South, at least where I live, have this scewed conception that people from the North are snobs or stuck up. It is all about how open minded you are.

When you move to a new place you get out of it what you put in it. I don't expect every French person to return all of my smiles or my thanks, but will this make me think any less of them, no. I will be an outsider to them when I first get there, and I don't expect them treat me like a native born.

And to everyone who does not think they have the ability, funds, or opportunity to move to a new country: you can do almost anything you put your mind to. If you would have asked me in May if I would ever live anywhere besides my home town I would have said "no". This is because I love my family and felt if I left them I would be abandoning them. I didn't even want to move two hours away to go to college, and this was really going to effect the job I was able to get. Now I realize I am at the age where I am going to be moving out own my own anyways so why not move where I want to. Plus, I don't want to screw up my future and diminish my chances of getting the job I want because I am afraid to leave home. Now, I look foward to leaving America, and making it own my own in a new place. No one in my family has moved anywhere outside of the country in a long time, and I want my family to branch out beyond America's borders. I love this country, but I don't want my family anchored here. I want some cultural diversity in my family.

French Fan
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Hahahahaaaaa this thread makes me laugh...:D

French Fan
07-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, I was born in France, though I did not live in Paris. I can address a few of your concerns. I grew up in Lyon, and I suggest that if you are considering moving to France, you should look into moving to Lyon. I lived on the river Rhône, and the whole area was beautiful. Of course, most of France is great, with good food, great scenery, and people. No, the French are not rude, as this is a common belief. If we were rude, then we would have not helped in the American Revolution more then likely.
I have visited only a few times, but I can tell you that like Lyon, Paris it is a great place. Be careful, because many people there are expert pick-pocketers, which i guess is kind of rude. If you have any more questions, please ask me. Thanks
Oh and by the way, France (especially Paris) is going to be a lot colder then what you are used to, so be prepared!

Salut excuse moi j'ai vu que tu étais français(e) alors pour une fois qu'on peut parler dans la langue de Molière ici j'en profite mdr...
Dis-moi d'après ce que j'ai compris tu es né(e) en France et a vécu(e) à Lyon mais dis-moi tu t'es exilé aux US ???
En tout cas ton anglais est vraiment bon tu as vraiment de la chance ;)
Enfin tout ça pour dire que si tu pouvais m'en dire un peu plus sur toi car c'est cool qu'il y ait d'autres français ici sur ce forum dédié à la belle Alizée ;)
Et les US alors c'est comment? Tu vis dans quelle ville là-bas?...

@+ ami(e) français(e) => (ouais dsl je sais pas si tu es une nana ou un gars...Lol)...

Deepwaters
07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Just a couple of thoughts for you, NewAlizéefan;

First, Sacramento sucks swampwater. It's hot, it's in the central valley, there's nothing to do, and you're too close to Ah-nold. Come here to the Bay Area, or maybe go down to LA -- I don't know, some people like it there, and at least the surfing's good. ;) Just because you hate Sacramento don't judge all of California or certainly not all of America by that. I love it here myself.

Second, when you're thinking about going to a place as different as Paris, visit first, don't just move there. Take your time. You've got plenty of it. Maybe you'll hate it. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll hate Paris but like other parts of France. Maybe you'll hate France but love Switzerland or something. Anyway, test the water first before you plunge.

Goes for anyone else, too. Grass is always greener, and like that.

Deepwaters
07-10-2007, 04:34 PM
@+ ami(e) français(e) => (ouais dsl je sais pas si tu es une nana ou un gars...Lol)...

Le nom "ElfMAN" l'indique "il" pas "elle", probablement. ;)

Killian
07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Just a couple of thoughts for you, NewAlizéefan;

First, Sacramento sucks swampwater. It's hot, it's in the central valley, there's nothing to do, and you're too close to Ah-nold. Come here to the Bay Area, or maybe go down to LA -- I don't know, some people like it there, and at least the surfing's good. ;) Just because you hate Sacramento don't judge all of California or certainly not all of America by that. I love it here myself.

Second, when you're thinking about going to a place as different as Paris, visit first, don't just move there. Take your time. You've got plenty of it. Maybe you'll hate it. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll hate Paris but like other parts of France. Maybe you'll hate France but love Switzerland or something. Anyway, test the water first before you plunge.

Goes for anyone else, too. Grass is always greener, and like that.

Well, that's a bit harsh. I've spent the past two summers in Folsom, and I didn't think Sacremento was that bad. But i will say, i do prefer the old culture of Europe to the commercialism of America.

And, why move to the Bay Area, you'd be further from Tahoe, by far the most beautiful place in California, and the Sequoia NP, I love them!

Deepwaters
07-10-2007, 04:40 PM
And, why move to the Bay Area, you'd be further from Tahoe, by far the most beautiful place in California, and the Sequoia NP, I love them!

Well, it's true, those places are nice. But so are San Francisco and Berkeley, and the beaches and shops in Monterey and Carmel, and Santa Cruz with its laid-back hippie style, and Yosemite, and Big Basin, and Point Reyes, and you're still within a pretty easy drive to Tahoe from here.

Killian
07-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, living in Ireland all my life I'm pretty used to having everything a fairly close (less than two hours) drive from me. As for Monterey and Carmel, I've been to both and loved them. San Francisco, and San Diego, were the two nicest (American) cities I've been to, and Yosemite was spectacular. California is like a mini country in it's diversty.

Just out of curiousty, what's your favourite place here?

Deepwaters
07-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Just out of curiousty, what's your favourite place here?

Oh, man, that's hard. My favorite city is definitely San Francisco. If my novel does well so I can afford it, I'll probably move there. (Unless I end up moving to France, but that's by no means certain.)

My favorite winery is the Navarro Vineyard in Mendocino County.

My favorite wilderness area is probably Point Reyes overall, although Big Basin and Yosemite are both more spectacular, my problem with them being they're also more crowded.

The thing I like best of all about this area is the variety. You can do city stuff, you can do wilderness stuff, and it's all in easy reach. I had the same feeling in Seattle when I lived there.

Tye
07-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, California is definitely like a seperate country itself. I was going to visit California, and maybe get into the film business, but I can't stand the heat. I can't stand America's climate. This was another thing that influenced my discision to move to Paris. I want a climate that doesn't go above 80 degrees farenheit at all except in rare cases. I realize there are places in America like this, but I don't feel like staying in America.

French Fan
07-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Le nom "ElfMAN" l'indique "il" pas "elle", probablement. ;)

héhé thx I didn't notice that...
Tu es français toi aussi ? o_O

Deepwaters
07-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Tu es français toi aussi ? o_O

No, I've just been studying French for a few months and by now can usually understand what I read and occasionally manage a phrase or two. I'm still pretty bad, though. :(

French Fan
07-10-2007, 05:30 PM
No, I've just been studying French for a few months and by now can usually understand what I read and occasionally manage a phrase or two. I'm still pretty bad, though. :(

Ok dude don't worry ;)
I could teach you some french and you some english (I need to improve mine...:( )

Deepwaters
07-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Ok dude don't worry ;)
I could teach you some french and you some english (I need to improve mine...:( )

Deal. :D

Stupid minimum post length . . .

French Fan
07-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Deal. :D

Stupid minimum post length . . .

OUAIS !!!! :D

Killian
07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Oh, man, that's hard. My favorite city is definitely San Francisco. If my novel does well so I can afford it, I'll probably move there. (Unless I end up moving to France, but that's by no means certain.)

My favorite winery is the Navarro Vineyard in Mendocino County.

My favorite wilderness area is probably Point Reyes overall, although Big Basin and Yosemite are both more spectacular, my problem with them being they're also more crowded.

The thing I like best of all about this area is the variety. You can do city stuff, you can do wilderness stuff, and it's all in easy reach. I had the same feeling in Seattle when I lived there.

That's what I love about Ireland. It has all that, but on a smaller scale. It has mountains, a karst region, countless valleys, great beaches, and some wonderful cities. If you were planning on moving to Europe, I would strongly recommend checking out Ireland. The culture is different to the countries of mainland Europe, as the history is so different, we were never invaded by the Romans and remained Celtic.

garçoncanadien
07-10-2007, 05:43 PM
OUAIS !!!! :D

hey French Fan quand il y a un français parmis nous chacun des membres se feront un plaisir de lui écrire en français :D:D:D

French Fan
07-10-2007, 05:45 PM
hey French Fan quand il y a un français parmis nous chacun des membres se feront un plaisir de lui écrire en français :D:D:D

Bah merde et moi alors je vais faire comment pour améliorer mon anglais...:D
Ca fait plaisir de te revoir en tout cas garçoncanadien car ça commençait à faire un bail que j'avais pas remis les pieds sur ce forum...

Sinan je sais pas si tu as vu mais le space officiel d'Alizée est en cours de reconstruction et réouvrira fin juillet...Un nouvel album???...Wait & see...

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Bah merde et moi alors je vais faire comment pour améliorer mon anglais...:D
Ca fait plaisir de te revoir en tout cas garçoncanadien car ça commençait à faire un bail que j'avais pas remis les pieds sur ce forum...

Sinan je sais pas si tu as vu mais le space officiel d'Alizée est en cours de reconstruction et réouvrira fin juillet...Un nouvel album???...Wait & see...

Believe it or not, i understood perfectly what French Fan said, and believe me my french skills arent that good at all.:blink:

Ill be waiting as well French Fan (Alizée) :D

garçoncanadien
07-10-2007, 05:51 PM
nan c'est une blague :D ne t'en fais pas ;)

quand tu veux l'anglais, nous parlons en anglais :D

quand tu veux le français, nous essayons de parler en français :D

et si tu veux parler avec des personnes qui savent tres bien l'anglais parle-nous sur le Ventrilo, comme je te l'ai dit dans un PM ;)

pour la langue écrite, je te recommande vivement de lire le www.msnbc.msn.com, online.wsj.com, www.nytimes.com chaque jour et de nous poser beaucoup de questions :)

French Fan
07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Believe it or not, i understood perfectly what French Fan said, and believe me my french skills arent that good at all.:blink:

Ill be waiting as well French Fan (Alizée) :D

LOL

T'es d'où? USA je présume...?:confused: :D

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
LOL

T'es d'où? USA je présume...?:confused: :D

Naaa, je suis de le mexique :blink:

French Fan
07-10-2007, 05:55 PM
nan c'est une blague :D ne t'en fais pas ;)

quand tu veux l'anglais, nous parlons en anglais :D

quand tu veux le français, nous essayons de parler en français :D

et si tu veux parler avec des personnes qui savent tres bien l'anglais parle-nous sur le Ventrilo, comme je te l'ai dit dans un PM ;)

pour la langue écrite, je te recommande vivement de lire le www.msnbc.msn.com, online.wsj.com, www.nytimes.com chaque jour et de nous poser beaucoup de questions :)
Oui j'avais reçu ton MP et je t'en remercie :p
Le Ventrilo c'est quoi exactement un chat instantané :confused:

:D ...J'essaierai de lire souvent tes liens mais c'est pas sûr que je le fasse tous les jours:D Et puis déjà vous lire en anglais sur ce forum ça m'apprends pas mal de mots et expressions c'est plutôt cool :cool:

garçoncanadien
07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
French Fan le Ventrilo c'est un logiciel avec lequel tu peux nous parler et écouter donc là-bas je vais essayer de te parler en l'anglais de Grande Bretagne ;)

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Oui j'avais reçu ton MP et je t'en remercie :p
Le Ventrilo c'est quoi exactement un chat instantané :confused:

:D ...J'essaierai de lire souvent tes liens mais c'est pas sûr que je le fasse tous les jours:D Et puis déjà vous lire en anglais sur ce forum ça m'apprends pas mal de mots et expressions c'est plutôt cool :cool:

Non, est un endroit où vous pouvez entendre d'autres gens vous peut pouvoir communiquer avec un microphone, si vous avez reçu celui.

Pardonnez-moi s'il y a une faute.

French Fan
07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Merci Zack et garçoncanadien pour ces petites précisions ;)
Zack ton français comporte de petites fautes mais il est vraiment excellent sinan ;) Bravo :)

Autre question, ou est-ce que je peux trouver ce soit disant "ventrilo"?...Un lien SVP ?

garçoncanadien
07-10-2007, 06:11 PM
c'est ici www.ventrilo.com

French Fan
07-10-2007, 06:14 PM
c'est ici www.ventrilo.com
Merci et euhhhh désolé pour le HS :rolleyes:

garçoncanadien
07-10-2007, 06:22 PM
ne t'en fais pas pour le HS comme j'suis mod ici je vais te protéger s'il y a des problèmes :rolleyes:

French Fan
07-10-2007, 06:26 PM
ne t'en fais pas pour le HS comme j'suis mod ici je vais te protéger s'il y a des problèmes :rolleyes:

:o thx
And I will be on your back too if there are any pbs :mad:

garçoncanadien il est sympa (finger's up):cool:

Amazed
07-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Ventrilo c'est excellent. C'est comme ça que j'ai apris à parler anglais. Encore faut-il avoir quelqun à qui parler. ;)

Deepwaters
07-10-2007, 06:45 PM

No, I hadn't seen that. End of July? Hmm . . . I'll be watching. ;)

Killian
07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow, my French is bad. I vaguely get the gist of what you are talking about, but I'm not sure.

I have three years of French under my belt, but after two terrible teachers (one of which had it out for me), it feels more like two weeks.:(

French Fan
07-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Ventrilo c'est excellent. C'est comme ça que j'ai apris à parler anglais. Encore faut-il avoir quelqun à qui parler. ;)

Un français hourraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D

garçoncanadien
07-10-2007, 06:55 PM
alors nous pouvons parler ensemble sur le Ventrilo :D cherche-moi sur le Ventrilo tout le monde :D

CFHollister
07-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I know that,and I just don't want anyone sounding like al gore saying things he "knows"are 100% true while the whole time he's talking about a make-believe topic. Do you get where I'm going?

Uh, I think so... How old are you again? :rolleyes: ...

Toc De Mac
07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
J'entrerais dans Ventrilo si vous (les français) parleriez français à moi (et bien je pourrais vous parler en anglais). Ca aidera tout le monde! :D Mais il faut que je le dise: je ne sais pas si vous me comprendrez quand je parle... :o

SupaKrupa
07-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Ahh oui, notre anglais est très bien quand on parle en anglais sur le ventrilo (peut-être quand on ne chante pas lolol). Mais ton angalis est bien aussi ne t'inquiete pas :) Je ne vois pas une erreur.

Apparently my comp's psu died on me though so I won't be on until I verify somehow that it's the psu and not the cpu or mobo and then go out and get a new whatever.

espire
07-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Naaa, je suis de le mexique :blink:

Au Mexique, je crois. Oui, garçon?

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Au Mexique, je crois. Oui, garçon?

je ne comprends pas :blink:

Killian
07-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Bhuel, má tá sibh ag caint as Francais, beidh mé ag caint as Gaeilge :P. Is mo ghrá í Alizée mais ní thuigeann aon duine anseo mé agus stadfaidh mé anois.

fsquared
07-11-2007, 02:08 AM
je ne comprends pas :blink:
Presumably that was a grammatical correction....that you're supposed to say "Au Mexique", not "de le Mexique" or something like that?

Bhuel, má tá sibh ag caint as Francais, beidh mé ag caint as Gaeilge :P. Is mo ghrá í Alizée mais ní thuigeann aon duine anseo mé agus stadfaidh mé anois.

Ní thuigim. Conas déarfá é sin as Béarla? :)

Amazed
07-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Un français hourraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D

Français dans la vie, English on the web!

I concider myself a french american. (French canadien is the actual truth tho)

But back on the topic, when I went to France in 2003, I was deeply shocked to see the way people live there. I imagine how my life would be if I'd live there. A part of me still beleive I should move there. I fell in love with Besançon, a small town near Dijon. I miss Paris a lot too. Only spent 5 days there, its not enough! I can totaly understand someone to want to move there.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Presumably that was a grammatical correction....that you're supposed to say "Au Mexique", not "de le Mexique" or something like that?

Then again he is wrong, because i dont live in Mexico City.
lets just say "je suis de mexique"....

Amazed
07-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Then again he is wrong, because i dont live in Mexico City.
lets just say "je suis de mexique"....

the correct form would be "Je suis du mexique" ;)

I know its wierd, but its how it is!
others ex.:
Je viens du canada.
Je suis originaire de france.
J'arrive du mexique.
Je vie au mexique.
J'habite en france.

garçoncanadien
07-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Je vie au mexique
Je vis au Mexique Amazed ;)

Zack en español decimos soy de Mexico, entonces en francés la traducción sería"je suis du Mexique".

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-11-2007, 02:03 PM
the correct form would be "Je suis du mexique" ;)
Je vis au Mexique Amazed

Zack en español decimos soy de Mexico, entonces en francés la traducción sería"je suis du Mexique".

Ahhh,Merci pour la correction. I wonder how many times i used "Je suis de le mexique." :blink:

Toc De Mac
07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
alors nous pouvons parler ensemble sur le Ventrilo :D cherche-moi sur le Ventrilo tout le monde :D

Does this site have a Ventrilo channel?

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Does this site have a Ventrilo channel?

oui
Ip = 70.84.146.90
Port = 3831

Killian
07-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Ní thuigim. Conas déarfá é sin as Béarla? :)

An thuigeann tú Gaeilge? Tá athas an domhain orm. Cheap me go raibh i m'aonar. Cá raibh tú ag staidear?

fsquared
07-11-2007, 08:25 PM
An thuigeann tú Gaeilge? Tá athas an domhain orm. Cheap me go raibh i m'aonar. Cá raibh tú ag staidear?

Sorry, I actually know essentially no Gaelic whatsoever. I tried to pick up a few phrases for the time I visited Galway (in the heart of the Gaeltact, right?) but I didn't actually try to use any of them. I did have a very nice Irish stew at a restaurant though, and was quite amused by a dictionary of Cork slang that I saw at a bookstore.

Edit: Boy, I've become a real off-topic offender lately. I should find out if there's a polite way to continue conversations in threads that go off-topic without dragging the thread further off-topic....

Killian
07-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh, okay. I got excited there for a second. Nice to know you enjoyed my country.

And, your right let's leave this conversation now, and let the thread attempt to get back on the weathered road.

fsquared
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh, okay. I got excited there for a second. Nice to know you enjoyed my country.

And, your right let's leave this conversation now, and let the thread attempt to get back on the weathered road.

Actually, you have to admit this is a pretty multilingual thread....French, Spanish, and Gaelic so far. Just for the off-topic "delice", Има ли някой български фен тук? (Are there any Bulgarian fans here?)