PDA

View Full Version : Support - French words for website links

Seapaddler
01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
As you browse French websites you'll have to learn what the Menu links mean. Some of the common ones I find.

French Website Menu navigation

À propos – by the way – About Us
Accueil – reception – Home
Ancien site – old site – Old website (old version of their website)
Actualités – current events – News
Agenda – diary – Diary (daily or weekly news log)
Aide – Help – Help
Annuaire – directory – Directory
Approfondie – comprehensive – Advanced (re: searching)
Bas Débit – low throughput – Low bandwidth (for slow connections)
Cliquez ici – click here - Click Here
Connexion – to connect – Login
Contacts– contacts– Contacts
Courriel – Electronic mail – Email
Divers – varied – Miscellaneous
Dossiers – files – Files
Écrivez-nous – write us – Write Us (web form)
Envoyer un message – send a message – Send a message
Équipe – team - Team (of the website)
Fichiers – files - Files
Haut Débit – high throughput – High bandwidth (for fast connections)
Haut de la page - top of the page - Top of page - Top
Inscription – enrolment – Register
Liens – links – Links
Liens Utiles – links useful – Useful links
Livre d’Or – book of gold – Guestbook
Mise à jour - update - Update
Nos – our – Our (such as ‘Nos partenaires’ - Our partners)
Nous contacter – contact us - Contact Us
Outils – tools – Tools
Ouvrir session – open session - Login
Page d’accueil – page of reception - Homepage
Plan du Site – layout of the site – Site Map
Précédent – pevious – Previous
Partenaires – partners – Partners
Quoi de neuf - what of new - What’s new
Recherche – Search – Search
Rechercher – to search – Search – research
Sondage – survey – Survey or Poll
Suivant – next – Next
Téléchargements – downloads - Downloads
Télécharger – download – Download
Votre compte - your account - Your Account

Other common words

Chargement – loading – Loading
Chargement en cours – loading under way – Currently downloading
Membres seulement – members only – Members Only
Mots clés – Key words (for searching)
Passer l’intro – pass the intro – Skip Intro
mot de passe - word of pass - Password

aFrenchie
01-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Good job Seapaddler. A few comments though:

- À propos – by the way – Our purpose ( by the way the purpose of our website is…)
"À propos" actually stands for "by the way" (indeed) and "About" (you can add "us": about us). Never heard of purpose as a translation of it.

- Acien site – old site – Old website (old version of their website)
You forgot the "n", Ancien site

- Actualités – current events – Current Events
"news" is more common translation for actualités

- Dossiers – files – Files
Dossier can be file, but more often "folder" or even "project" or "dossier" (used in English too)

- Chargement en cours – loading under way –
"en cours" is under way indeed but the whole phrase better translates "currently downloading"

Cooney
01-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Great list, thanks!

One other that I found useful recently, was "Mise à jour," which means "update."

Seapaddler
01-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll make those corrections thanks.

I'm surprised I hadn't run into Mise à jour yet.

I often see the English word "News" used in French menus also. The "our purpose" was more of an explanation rather than a translation I didn't know what else to put, About hadn't donned on me :rolleyes: . Every time I came upon those links I would read a paragraph such as a mission statement or "the purpose of our website is ..." dialogue. Ah quite right About Us makes better sense.

One thing that I find extremely frustrating when reading translations is that the words are often translated for the benefit of the English reader and not for a person learning the French. If I read a translation of Chargement en cours to be Currently Downloading which of course makes better sense in English but would frustrate me because the word actuellement (currently) is not present here and I would be no better off when trying to learn the French :D . I prefer the exact direct translation because it helps to understand what is written not just the meaning, but I digress.

aFrenchie
01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
One thing that I find extremely frustrating when reading translations is that the words are often translated for the benefit of the English reader and not for a person learning the French.
I agree with you, but the best translation is actually "adapting" and not really translating to the other language. That's the reason why I ask garçoncanadien to improve mines because they are made too much word-for-word :). Mines would be boring for English speakers when it's an interview for example...
But now in your special lesson threads, I think that you had a great idea in putting both word-for-word transcription and the real translation :). For example, "Livre d’Or – book of gold – Guestbook" is excellent for the info (although "golden book" would have been better! ;)).

If I read a translation of Chargement en cours to be Currently Downloading which of course makes better sense in English but would frustrate me because the word actuellement (currently) is not present
Although, "currently" can also mean "couramment" that is maybe based on "en cours" ;)

Cooney
01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I daresay what I'd use for "Chargement en cours" is fairly literal, "Download in progress." That avoids the "currently" issue, if it's bugging you :-)