PDA

View Full Version : J.B.G Question

OGRE
01-04-2007, 11:15 PM
This is more of a French language question than a translation question.
Excerpt from J.B.G is listed as:

Une James Bond Girl
Ça sauve plus d'une vie
C'est l'ecstasy
Une James Bond Girl
C'est de la dynamite
Ses lettre sont J.B.G.

However, the song is sung as (emphasis added):

Une James Bond Girl
Ça sauve plus d'une vie
C'est l'ecstasy....car
Une James Bond Girl
C'est de la dynamite
Ses lettre sont J.B.G.

Does the "car" server a meaning purpose or is it simply a language construct that makes it easier to transition to "Une".

Seapaddler
01-05-2007, 03:41 AM
car means because

Cooney
01-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Car and Parce Que are basically the same - both mean "because" (though my dictionary gives "for" in the sense of because as an additional meaning on car). I would take a guess that maybe parce que is more formal, as that is what's taught in school, but I don't honestly know.

OGRE
01-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for replies. Anyone wish to venture a guess (educated or otherwise) as to why the written lyrics don't contain the "car".

Each language has words and phrases that are used for transition, sometimes even ad lib, that don't show up in the written lyrics but do exist in the song itself.

I note in the song that there is a long vowel sound (i.e., "une") on the tails of a long vowel sound (i.e., the "e" sounding "y" at the end of ecstasy). In fact the long vowel "e" is applified and extended when sung. Regardless of French or English, we don't like to follow vowel sound with vowel sound, so our language creates constructs to intersperse a consonent inbetween vowel sounds. For example, in English we use "an" (instead of "a") in front of vowel sounding words to avoid having to run vowel sounds back to back.

I was wondering if the "car" is being used to provide a consonent filler between Ecstasy and Une, possibly "ad lib" by Alizée.

aFrenchie
01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I would take a guess that maybe parce que is more formal, as that is what's taught in school, but I don't honestly know.
I'd tend to think the opposite. "Parce que" is more used verbally, "car" more formal...

Cooney
01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I'd tend to think the opposite. "Parce que" is more used verbally, "car" more formal...

Ooh, interesting! Good to know, thanks. Usually my French prof's taught the formal stuff, glad to know they occasionally gave us something useful :-)

garçoncanadien
01-05-2007, 09:23 PM
that is probably accented for a musical reason, maybe to complete 4 beats to a 4/4 measure or to emphasize the downbeat. Similar to how she accents "c'est pas ma faute", when the e is not pronounced in spoken French.

heyamigo
05-27-2007, 11:44 AM
i got a question:

is "james" pronounced differently in french? because when alizee sings "Une James Bond Girl..." the james part sounds nothing like how its pronounced in english. it sounds like some totally different word, i thought she was saing "agent bond girl" at first.

garçoncanadien
05-27-2007, 07:31 PM
it is indeed pronounced differently.

OGRE
05-27-2007, 08:00 PM
it is indeed pronounced differently.

And after pronouncing it the English way for 30 some odd years, it is nigh near impossible to pronounce it in French at the tempo sung in J.B.G.

heyamigo
05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
ok so how is it pronounced?

garçoncanadien
05-27-2007, 08:28 PM
something like

sheims

:)

bt_bird_90
05-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I just hear it as "un japon girrlll".

heyamigo
05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
haha, i just read this translation by someone named squeak at MF int'l forums:

JBG, Mickey me!
Some other girl is
JBG, JBG
JBG, pool envy
Uh, tore the glove
Say lazily JBG

Injun fawn girl
Says I'll feel the beat
Say let's... dance-y!....

another interesting thing i picked up there was that JBG could stand for "Alizee Jacotey, Laurent Boutonnat and Mylene Farmer (real name : Gauthier) "

Zack -Alizee Lover-
05-28-2007, 08:00 PM

JBG, Mickey me!
Some other girl is
JBG, JBG
JBG, pool envy
Uh, tore the glove
Say lazily JBG

Injun fawn girl
Says I'll feel the beat

another interesting thing i picked up there was that JBG could stand for "Alizee Jacotey, Laurent Boutonnat and Mylene Farmer (real name : Gauthier) "

Uhm, i think this was poste before, ill look for the thread :p

found it
http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=1208

nurvonic
05-28-2007, 08:35 PM

JBG, Mickey me!
Some other girl is
JBG, JBG
JBG, pool envy
Uh, tore the glove
Say lazily JBG

Injun fawn girl
Says I'll feel the beat

lol that reminds me of the misreadlyricsguy who tried to understand what the hell pearljam was trying to say in yellow ledbetter. pretty funny

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLd22ha_-VU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLd22ha_-VU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

make me fries!

it would be interesting to see what he would do with french lyrics.

Ernest
05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
I don't get what is the real message of this video . . . the only things I got it is the diff. styles of gitarist they did . . . well look they perform well . . . anyway thanks for this f***in compilation . . .:eek:

Drake498
05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
lol that reminds me of the misreadlyricsguy who tried to understand what the hell pearljam was trying to say in yellow ledbetter. pretty funny

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLd22ha_-VU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLd22ha_-VU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

make me fries!

it would be interesting to see what he would do with french lyrics.

LOL freakin hilarious :D :D :D
Make me fries!! :p

alizeeisanangel
07-02-2007, 01:18 AM
she says J.B.G. i though. i dont remember hearing any part where she actually says james bond girl. can anyone link my a video and to time at where she says it if so? thank you.

alizeeisanangel
07-02-2007, 01:21 AM
omg lol that videos is halarios. make me fries! hahahaha

marik
07-02-2007, 03:21 AM
she says J.B.G. i though. i dont remember hearing any part where she actually says james bond girl. can anyone link my a video and to time at where she says it if so? thank you.

i think its from the first in lyrics of the choru!"une jamesbondgirl"

here is the lyrics!

J.B.G., Bikini
Son nom de code est
J.B.G., J.B.G.
J.B.G., pour la vie
Autour du globe c'est
L'égérie, J.B.G.

Une James Bond Girl
Ça sauve plus d'une vie
C'est l'ecstasy
Une James Bond Girl
C'est de la dynamite
Ses lettre sont J.B.G.

Oh, elle est canon
Calibrée, culottée
Un canon de beauté

Canon, car on
Doit tout lui donner
Le bon dieu sans résister, car…

Et si ça se corse,
Elle se décorsette
Une île de beauté

Gare à qui se comporte
Sans l'once d'un tact, et
Son sang n'est pas du lait

i hope i help a lot! and welcome!:)

fsquared
07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I never realized quite the extent of the puns in this song. Am I right that "Un canon de beauté" is a pun on "a beautiful gun" and "a canon of beauty"? Someone on mf-international also said that "culottée" means "wearing the pants" as in "in charge" or "a tough cookie".

And there are several Corsica puns in that penultimate verse....they said "se corse" means "to make things complicated" and "décorsette" is some pun on "fixing things" and "taking off a corset" and there must be something about Corsica too, right? And someone else already mentioned the "île de beauté" =Corsica.

Killian
07-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Isn't Culottée a type of pants the aristocracy of France wore before their revolution, as the army of civilian volunteers used by Robespierre were called the Sans-culottée as they didn't wear the pants because they were middle class? :confused:

RMJ
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Culotte means few different pants and clothes. One type being the pants you mean (breeches?), but for example, it's also pants/panties and certain type of skirt.

Culotté (and it's feminine form, culottée) is adjective and means "cheeky", which also fits in the song. If you need visual reference of this, maybe press did the job while showing certain Alizée's JPVA photos and quoting her as culottée. If you know what I mean...

Killian
07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Breeches, thats them. Guess my 18th century French history is better than thought, :p.

OGRE
07-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I never realized quite the extent of the puns in this song.

Not only the puns, but the phonetic games as well:

C'est l'ecstasy
Ses lettre sont J.B.G.

When sung, the "C'est l'ecstasy" is accenuated in four syllables "C'est...l'ec...sa...zy", which is intended to match phonetically with "Ses...lettre...sont J.B.G"

C'est-> Ses
l'ec -> lettre
sa -> sont
zy -> J.B.G

I know all you diehards know that, but I still think it's cool. Even more so possibly because it's French...and I don't know French well....except I do in this song...now. I guess I feel like I've graduated a level in French when I start appreciating the puns and rhymes as opposed to just trying to figure out what the hell the words mean.