PDA

View Full Version : Amazon.com

Spartan500
07-18-2006, 09:56 PM
How fast does the suff you order get to you and has anybody had any problems I just want to know this cause I really want to order the en concert DVD and then eventually her cds

rcs
07-18-2006, 10:06 PM
How fast does the suff you order get to you and has anybody had any problems I just want to know this cause I really want to order the en concert DVD and then eventually her cds

I was just thinking of this subject. Pony up the bucks and CDs will be in your hands 2 or 3 days after ordering (depending what time you order in the day). It's free of course if you don't mind waiting at least a week.

DVD may take an extra day for others. Both CDs and DVD came in same time for me. It all depends on the availability at Amazon. Good Luck:)

dvtq
07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.fan.pl/shopping/pe.php?id=723410&oknrt=723410 wait 8 days and cheaper , i wrong when i though it bad , but my DVD is awesome and real .

Spartan500
07-18-2006, 10:36 PM
thanks I think I will just wait the 8 days that way I can get a cd withit

Ben
07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
It might be cheaper, depending on shipping to your area, to order from amazon.fr. You can use your amazon.com login and account info there.

droggo
07-18-2006, 10:56 PM
I have had good success ordering those CDs and DVDs from www.caiman.com. Specifically, you should check the availability of the CDs / DVDs you're interested in at both amazon and caiman and see which are in stock.

Good luck,
--droggo

Spartan500
07-18-2006, 11:05 PM
I have had good success ordering those CDs and DVDs from www.caiman.com. Specifically, you should check the availability of the CDs / DVDs you're interested in at both amazon and caiman and see which are in stock.

Good luck,
--droggo
cool thanks droggo I will

dvtq
07-18-2006, 11:15 PM
It might be cheaper, depending on shipping to your area, to order from amazon.fr. You can use your amazon.com login and account info there.
not cheaper with fedexp , cheaper with airmal :D and the price is good
thank drogo , but i dont know how to search T_T

cybersoil
07-18-2006, 11:19 PM

If I remember correctly my "Alizee En Concert" DVD ordered from Amazon.fr was about $36 US with S&H. After buying 2 Alizee concert DVDs from eBay (which I thought were real) they turned out to be blurry 4.7Gb counterfits. The real concert is about 8.5Gb in file size on a 9.4Gb industry standard movie DVD and is super sharp.

If you play the real DVD on your computer you should install the program "DVD Region + CSS Free" first. The link is here: http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm . This is because the real PAL encoded Alizee DVD is made for Region 2 (Western Europe, Japan, South Africa) and not for Region 1 (US & Canada.) This program will automatically switch the region back and forth as needed (in the software) so the DVD will play without a problem.

Although your computer DVD player should (by itself) automatically switch from one region to another a few times, eventually after switching back and forth between regions (about 5 times) it will be locked down in the firmware and you'll never be able to switch it again, unless you use a program like the one listed above, or so I've read. The above listed program solves that entire problem because it loads in the system tray and runs in the background when you watch any videos on your computer.

-Cybersoil

Spartan500
07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
thanks for the link cybersoil I will be sure to install that

rcs
07-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Thank you Cybersoil. That's why I come to this forum, to learn. I didn't know there was a counter. I only knew about the regions. My DVD player was useless when I found out there was no switch to PAL. For now, I've got a portable DVD player that actually plays the disc. Picture qual is not HD obviously because of the DVD player and RCA jack I'm forced to use.

Sorry for the techno babble folks, but for those who are HD buffs, you might be interested in playing the DVD on your HDTV to get a big screen picture. PC rez is awesome for you gamers, but sometimes bigger is better. At first, my PC was the only thing I had. Desperation set in and I just tried my portable DVD player and viola. Alizee was on my 53". Heaven.

Cybersoil, have you tried the DVD on Best Buys new Blu-Ray player (by Samsung)? Again, sorry for babble. I just need assistance. Merci!:)

Spartan500
07-19-2006, 12:01 AM
rcs what portable dvd are you using if not Im gonna get my friend to let me watch the dvd(when I get it) on the bestbuys dvd players and HDTVs. Plus the customers will get to enjoy Alizee.

rcs
07-19-2006, 12:13 AM
I thought it was a piece of junk $100 Mintek DVD player. But hey it works. If it plays on the Samsung Blu-Ray at Best Buy, I'm gonna ask if they can put it up on the multi-display TVs across the wall! FREE EXPOSURE for Alizee. Just one problem Blu-Ray or not, Cybersoil is right when you talk about the regions. If Blu-Ray is coded for 1 only, then you need that portable (or whatever else works) to hook up to the HDTVs at Best Buy. In that case, go for the biggest screen they'll let you.

nurvonic
07-19-2006, 12:22 AM
u guys are kool. sorry for the sarcasm

Spartan500
07-19-2006, 12:58 AM
u guys are kool. sorry for the sarcasm
Its kool sarcasm is GREAT and thanks rcs i think Im gonna have to get that POS DVD player.
in case you didn't get it GREAT is supposed to be sarcastic LOL

Ben
07-19-2006, 01:28 AM
This is because the real PAL encoded Alizee DVD is made for Region 2 (Western Europe, Japan, South Africa) and not for Region 1 (US & Canada.)
All three legit copies of the DVD I have from Amazon.fr are PAL Region 0 (Region Free), and play fine on a PC without any added software. They're from the initial pressing with the cardboard slipcover, though. Dunno if they changed the Region after that.

dvtq
07-19-2006, 02:27 AM
humh, i dont know but pc read all. dont need any soft http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4277/neverdy0.gif
and with video cards at this time , i always change my monitor by my Wega :).
find on universal.fr but dont have any info about code or region.

cybersoil
07-19-2006, 04:08 AM
Cybersoil, have you tried the DVD on Best Buys new Blu-Ray player (by Samsung)

No, I haven't but most, if not all, modern DVD players that are made for televisions (not computers) have a PAL decoder chip built-in so they can watch PAL DVDs. I can watch my European region encoded PAL DVDs on my cheap DVD player (for TVs) that I bought from Costco, with no problem at all. Again, any modern DVD player (made for TVs not for PCs) should play the Euro DVDs with no problem. By modern I mean within the last 2 years or less.

Alizee's concert was one of the first to be shot in Hi-Def. A computer screen running with a resolution of 800x600 is considered Hi-Def and Alizee's concert will look magnificantly super sharp on them. But to see the concert in full clearity on a TV set you would need both a Hi-Def DVD Player and a Hi-Def TV set. When I showed Alizee's virtual concert at La Crème Brûlée, back on Dec 16th, I projected it on a 12 feet wide wall at 800x600 and it was super, super sharp. Everyone couldn't believe how sharp the video was, you could even see her individual eyebrow hairs.

Like I said in an earlier posting, by using my Bose speakers and an amplifier, a laptop and a projecter it was almost like being there. The crispness of the quality sound, the beautiful bright and vivid colors, the sharpness and clearity and talent of both Alizee and her team were enough make you believe that you were actually at the concert. Man, it was great! So was the Jenifer Bartoli virtual concert and the Les Enfoires virtual concert. But for about 1 hour before each of the concerts I showed various French live performance videos, including "J'en ai Marre" and other Alizee videos. Everbody loved Alizee! I even had a few people ask me about her. Yep... "J'en an Marre" and J'ai Pas Vingt Ans" gets'em every time!!!!

humh, i dont know but pc read all. dont need any software
and with video cards at this time , i always change my monitor by my Wega :).
find on universal.fr but dont have any info about code or region.

As far as I know, they are not yet making PC DVDs that will view multiple regions codes for any length of time without having the region counter eventually being locked down. But who knows... I may be wrong. I suggest that you read this webpage http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm it should explain it all, more or less.

-Cybersoil

RMJ
07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm . This is because the real PAL encoded Alizee DVD is made for Region 2 (Western Europe, Japan, South Africa) and not for Region 1 (US & Canada.) This program will automatically switch the region back and forth as needed (in the software) so the DVD will play without a problem.

The DVD is region free (or coded for all regions or coded to be region 0. I don't remember right now and I'm too lazy to check it out). If you look at the back of your DVD cover, it will say 'toutes zones' which translates to 'for all regions'.

It is in PAL format. But that doesn't mean it's R2. Don't mix regions and color formats. For example, Europe has PAL color standard and is region 2. Japan on the other hand has NTSC color stand (like the USA) but is still region 2. Japanese DVD's works in Europe, if the DVD supports NTSC color format decoding or the DVD and the TV supports native NTSC. Japanese DVDs plays on American DVD players (NTSC, region 1) fine if they aren't region locked or if they can change the region from menu.

Alizee's concert was one of the first to be shot in Hi-Def. A computer screen running with a resolution of 800x600 is considered Hi-Def and Alizee's concert will look magnificantly super sharp on them. But to see the concert in full clearity on a TV set you would need both a Hi-Def DVD Player and a Hi-Def TV set.

The original never released material of the En Concert was shot at high definition.

The DVD is normal low resolution DVD. The DVD format is starndard PAL 720x576 @ 25FPS. It is not high definition. DVD does not even support high definition formats.

High Definition formats are 720i (1280x720 interlaced), 720p (1280x720 progressive), 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced) and 1080p (1920x1080 progressive).

DVD is 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC), and can be progressive or interlaced. That makes it Low Definition format. The En Concert DVD is 720x576 progressive (but it's badly done and it has interlacing errors).

HD-DVD and HD-TV won't change En Concert any from the normal DVD and TV, since it's done for low definition standards. Running it on LCD panel or LCD projector can give you artificial feeling of more sharpness over the CRT TV, CRT monitor or CRT projector simply because of the technology used in LCD which creates sharper image (but unfortunately the image has color and contrast problems).

You can study more about DVD and High Definition from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

cybersoil
07-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I was going by what I read. It may not be a Blu-Ray or HD DVD but the genuine article is super, super sharp in clarity (as compared to normal American DVDs) and everyone asked and thought it was HD.

You're right about the Alizee DVD, after looking at the cover it says it is set for all zones, probably because she has fans all over the world and they weren't concerned with releasing the DVD on different dates but most of my other European DVDs are set for region 2.

The only reason they have DVD zoning is to help prevent piracy; they want to be able to release a DVD in Europe (for example) and not have it releasable (watchable) in the US until they decide (for various reasons) to release it here themselves. But with the way technology has been going, pretty much anyone nowadays can blast past region locking protection. Got that from Leoville, the big-wig of Technology in Los Angeles.

DVD Specifications:
Please ... please go into more detail... you didn't insert enough specifications, not enough so that I could understand the underlying technology in its entirely. Please insert the 900 page DVD specification manual here along with pictures, audio recordings of lectures, 10,000 links to reference sites backing up your findings, and the names of at least 10 human beings to reference and prove that you're not a bot.:D

-Cybersoil

RMJ
07-19-2006, 03:22 PM
I could talk whole day about DVD specifications and especially the problems and lack of features of the DVD. But I'll save you from that this time... :wink:

I was going by what I read. It may not be a Blu-Ray or HD DVD but the genuine article is super, super sharp in clarity (as compared to normal American DVDs) and everyone asked and thought it was HD.
The difference is that PAL standard is better than NTSC. PAL provides better colors (more vivid). And higher vertical resolution: 480 in NTSC, 576 in PAL, so the PAL DVD's are siginificantly better looking (if mastered with care).

You're right about the Alizee DVD, after looking at the cover it says it is set for all zones,
Ok, thanks for confirming it.

Could you also install some software that shows you information about the DVD itself. For example DVD Decrypter. When you instert DVD in your computer, it should then be able to tell what region the DVD is. Also tell the protection systems it has. Or simply take screencapture of the DVD Decrypter window.

You can download it from here, for example.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1011845169/1

Google for other mirrors if that doesn't work.

probably because she has fans all over the world and they weren't concerned with releasing the DVD on different dates but most of my other European DVDs are set for region 2.
Most music videos are multi regon or region free since they are not usually localized. But sometimes they might be set to some region.

Movies are practically always only for one region (exception is Australia which usually uses double region system 2/4, so they works also in Europe. And the Australian DVDs are usually identical to European DVDs, just the region is changed to double region.)

The only reason they have DVD zoning is to help prevent piracy; they want to be able to release a DVD in Europe (for example) and not have it releasable (watchable) in the US until they decide (for various reasons) to release it here themselves.
Yes, it was done for marketing. European and American markets would lost big money if Chinese or other Asian DVDs worked here, since the prices in the Asia is much lower. I often by Asian releases which are region 3. Just released brand new authentic DVD costs there usually less than 50% of the DVD in Europe. The single DVD releases might be as low as 8 bucks on release date, deluxe editions (with extra bonus DVD and nicer covers) are usually 12 bucks or lil more. And the prices are after shipping to Europe...

cybersoil
07-19-2006, 03:24 PM
I could talk whole day about DVD specifications and especially the problems and lack of features of the DVD.

EXCITING!!! I've got a stiffy just thinking about it now! But hey... I wanted the manual...:D

droggo
07-20-2006, 12:28 AM
DVD Shrink is an excellent companion program for DVD Decrypter.

You can find it here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

The original homepage is here:

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

A reauthoring tutorial for an older version (although still relevant) is here:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_basic.php

For my fellow Linux geeks:

Check out dvd::rip and DeCSS

--droggo