PDA

View Full Version : Track

NANAKI
02-16-2007, 11:49 PM
So I said last night I would tell everyone how I did at my track meet today well it blowed I only got 8 feet which I usually go 10 to 11 so yeah not a good meet
I pole vault that is my edit

RMJ
02-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Ermm... what the heck is this about ? What track ? what 8 feet ? :blink:

Rocket
02-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Was that the standing broad jump, the running broad jump or the triple broad jump? Or was it pole vaulting?

c-dawg777
02-17-2007, 05:26 AM
Ermm... what the heck is this about ? What track ? what 8 feet ? :blink:

LOL... so you found something that rmj can't comment on!:D
C'mon, RMJ, You know track and field? Running, Jumping, pole vault, and so on... Or how about the 50% of the summer olympics that is still based on the ancient greek games. Is that better?:confused:

8ft... if thats from a stand still position i sure as hell can't do it:blink:

AlphaDevil2
02-17-2007, 05:41 AM
So I said last night I would tell everyone how I did at my track meet today

Why can't you Americans be much clearer and just say Athlethics?

c-dawg777
02-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Just for the hell of it, I went and saw what dictionary.com has for athletics....

2. British. track-and-field events

so if you're British, call it what you will, but we'll still call it Track and Field on the American website... mmm, K?;)
lol

And btw... Athletics is a lot more vague than track and field. Athletics is anything requiring physical strength and stamina. Track and Field is all stuff done on just a track or on the field.:)

RMJ
02-17-2007, 05:50 AM
LOL... so you found something that rmj can't comment on!:D
C'mon, RMJ, You know track and field? Running, Jumping, pole vault, and so on... Or how about the 50% of the summer olympics that is still based on the ancient greek games. Is that better?:confused:
Sure I know. But why not use the proper names then ?

And what the fuck that 8 feet refers to ?

AlphaDevil2
02-17-2007, 06:07 AM
so if you're British, call it what you will, but we'll still call it Track and Field on the American website... mmm, K?;)
lol

Fair enough! Although as you know non-Amewricans frequent the site, surely it would have been polite to use "Track or what non-americans may know as running events in athletics" at least giving us non-US citizens a chance.

Jeez sometimes I think you Americans have ruined our beautiful English language ;)

bt_bird_90
02-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Ah, the elusive 8-foot marathon, congrats!

rcs
02-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Must be pole vault

NANAKI
02-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Was that the standing broad jump, the running broad jump or the triple broad jump? Or was it pole vaulting?

pole vault probaly should have said that

NANAKI
02-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Must be pole vault

congarts you guessed right you win the honor of being the first person to get it right

SupaKrupa
02-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Track and Field is all stuff done on just a track or on the field.:)

Like football? YOU FAIL! :p

Who am I kidding, we call it track and field too hahaha :o

Sux to hear that you weren't at your best. I know how it feels. Being the sporty person I am, it frustrates me to hell when I know I can do better than what I'm doing. I guess it just "wasn't your day" (it hardly is ever mine... I'm still waiting for "my day" hehe)

NANAKI
03-08-2007, 08:08 PM
I have a meet Saturday against our school district rivals Highland park. We won last year so hopes are high but so are expectations. I'll tell you how it goes on saturday

Zack -Alizee Lover-
03-08-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a meet Saturday against our school district rivals Highland park. We won last year so hopes are high but so are expectations. I'll tell you how it goes on saturday

Good Luck NANAKI!!!!! :D

atra201
03-08-2007, 08:23 PM

you must win this year tooo or don't show up here again. ok

NANAKI
03-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Good Luck NANAKI!!!!! :D

thanks zach

you must win this year tooo or don't show up here again. ok
Alright if we lose I won't come on again and Alizée will be out of my life then if I don't come back here, but let it be known that atra is taking away Alizée fans.

atra201
03-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Alright if we lose I won't come on again and Alizée will be out of my life then if I don't come back here, but let it be known that atra is taking away Alizée fans.

i was simply motivating you

badog7
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
What is weird on this site is seeing 'feet' and 'miles per hour'. When are you yanks gunna grow up and use metric measurements like the french and the rest of the world? HUh?
You proll dont use it coz that would mean your 'measurements' would be too small.. hahahah!
Yeah good luck Nanaki- just think.." now what would Alizee do.."

NANAKI
03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
What is weird on this site is seeing 'feet' and 'miles per hour'. When are you yanks gunna grow up and use metric measurements like the french and the rest of the world? HUh?
You proll dont use it coz that would mean your 'measurements' would be too small.. hahahah!
Yeah good luck Nanaki- just think.." now what would Alizee do.."

lol that is funny what would she do?

MiamMiam
03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Haha this thread gave me a good laugh, but I agree that America really should just start using the metric system like the rest of the world...geez.

nurvonic
03-08-2007, 11:24 PM
royale with cheese anyone?

garçoncanadien
03-08-2007, 11:37 PM
oui oui avec une boisson gazeuse svp ;)

SupaKrupa
03-08-2007, 11:40 PM
lol that is funny what would she do?

She's an angel. They have wings. It's polevault. Maths!

CFHollister
03-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Haha this thread gave me a good laugh, but I agree that America really should just start using the metric system like the rest of the world...geez.

We do... both science (obviously) and the military are all metric. I think we (Americans) should do what the British have done and have a number of "metric" standard units: metric pound (500g), metric mile (1600m), etc. Actually I think for distance we (as in the world, metric countries included) should really use the nautical mile (even on land), but that's another topic entirely. :p

NANAKI
03-09-2007, 12:50 AM
We do... both science (obviously) and the military are all metric. I think we (Americans) should do what the British have done and have a number of "metric" standard units: metric pound (500g), metric mile (1600m), etc. Actually I think for distance we (as in the world, metric countries included) should really use the nautical mile (even on land), but that's another topic entirely. :p

in track races are done in metric we have the 3200m run, 1600m run, 800m run, 400m dash, 200m dash, 100m dask, 50 m dash. Even the hurdle events are in metric. Only the field events aren't measured in metric.

badog7
03-09-2007, 01:45 AM
in track races are done in metric we have the 3200m run, 1600m run, 800m run, 400m dash, 200m dash, 100m dask, 50 m dash. Even the hurdle events are in metric. Only the field events aren't measured in metric.

No wonder you guys cant beat the African 'milers'- you are training at the wrong distance! Should be 1500 metres?..hmmm..:D
So the scientists and the military are in the 'real' world but everyone else is 'imperial'? You guys are so confused!:confused:

Oui- garconCanuck- il y a de l'eau dans le gaz? BURP!. ahhh..:blink:

Sir Wood
03-09-2007, 01:58 AM
No wonder you guys cant beat the African 'milers'- you are training at the wrong distance! Should be 1500 metres?..hmmm..:D

1 mi = 1609 m :p

So the scientists and the military are in the 'real' world but everyone else is 'imperial'? You guys are so confused!:confused:
Tell me about it, my professor tells us engineering students in the US have it tough because we have to learn both international units (SI) and standard USC (US Customary System) which is slightly different from British (Imperial). :rolleyes: It would be a heck of a lot easier if we all went with SI. But politics and business are the actual deciding factors here. :(

http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasures/Publications/appxc.cfm

Spartan500
03-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Ah, the elusive 8-foot marathon, congrats!

this post made me think of the battle of marathon which is probably due to me having just watched a show on the history channel lol

CFHollister
03-09-2007, 04:39 AM

This I knew. Back in my day I was a track competitor (and cross country). My main race was the 1600m "mile" ;)

rcs
03-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Hey Nanaki,

Do you listen to Alizee when you run/train? What's your favorite song to run to?

Spartan, didn't you say you run also?

Rocket
03-09-2007, 08:07 AM
My husband and I both run. Youpidou is a good song to start while Moi-Lolita is a good one during the run.

zpa
03-09-2007, 10:21 AM
About the SI/US units, I read somewhere that NASA lost a satellite/vessel or something because they got the units mixed up. Someone using inches instead of centimeters or similar.. Is this true? :blink:

Sir Wood
03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
About the SI/US units, I read somewhere that NASA lost a satellite/vessel or something because they got the units mixed up. Someone using inches instead of centimeters or similar.. Is this true? :blink:
Unfortunately yes, this did happen.
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Sorry, that this went a little bit off-topic Nanaki. :o

NANAKI
03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey Nanaki,

Do you listen to Alizee when you run/train? What's your favorite song to run to?

Spartan, didn't you say you run also?

I am a pole vaulter we don't run also we aren't allowed to wear headphones when we are at practice

Spartan500
03-09-2007, 07:22 PM
sorry rcs you have the wrong person i don't like to run but i think riva does

rwd716
03-09-2007, 09:53 PM
What is weird on this site is seeing 'feet' and 'miles per hour'. When are you yanks gunna grow up and use metric measurements like the french and the rest of the world? HUh?"

We do... both science (obviously) and the military are all metric.

Ahh, CF, you stole my rebuttal, lol, although not all of the mil's measurement are in metric. We pretty much use both, although I think we still use the English system more. Generally we save metric for the more complex/senstive measurements and english for the "knuckle-draggers" out on the flightline, lol. Also, to go a step further, even though electric terms are the same in different countries i.e. Volt, Amp, Ohm, etc, they're actually different values. The volt we use in the U.S. is like 1.0 blah blah blah of a "true volt." Yeah it would be nice to all use the same measure, but in a way it's like, "Why don't we all speak the same language too?" :cool:

Edcognito
03-10-2007, 02:09 AM
:eek:

Fair enough! Although as you know non-Amewricans frequent the site, surely it would have been polite to use "Track or what non-americans may know as running events in athletics" at least giving us non-US citizens a chance.

Jeez sometimes I think you Americans have ruined our beautiful English language ;)

Americans have ruined the English language.... However... I doubt that any English AFTER shakespear could be considered beutiful! :blink:

rcs
03-10-2007, 08:06 AM
RWD,

You said two words that I am very familiar with, "knuckle-draggers" and "flightline." LOL :D

What's your job if you don't mind my asking?

I'm Sheetmetal. :)

NANAKI
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I vaulted 9'6" would have had 10' but didn't have a trail leg

rcs
03-10-2007, 06:54 PM
9' was my best. I could see that I really needed to build my upper body. I only did track one year. :p