PDA

View Full Version : About the French Language.

Shep
07-24-2006, 01:06 AM
I have heard two sides of the story when it comes to the French and the French language. I've heard that they will appreciate it when you attempt to speak their languages, but I've also heard that they will look down at you if you speak it incorrectly... which is true or are they both?

nurvonic
07-24-2006, 02:39 AM
i actually never heard of that before. us americans usually look down at other people who speak english incorrectly (i know i do) so i would understand if both of those were true

Shep
07-24-2006, 09:09 AM
i actually never heard of that before. us americans usually look down at other people who speak english incorrectly (i know i do) so i would understand if both of those were true

Actually... I try to be as nice as possible to immigrants/visitors who try to speak english. At least I would like to think I do. I think most people I know do the same.

Matrix
07-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Boy this is a loaded question.... Someone standby with a firetruck, lol:p

Shep
07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
I didn't really intend to make it seem "loaded" I'm just trying to get my facts straight. I've heard from several different sources both sides of the question, I would like to know which one's true.

aditya8617
07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, my friend (He is half French and half American) says that most french people do appreciate the attempts u make at speaking their language. But there are some others who don't like if u speak it incorrectly. As a tourist u will rarely come across these types though.

Shep
07-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Well, my friend (He is half French and half American) says that most french people do appreciate the attempts u make at speaking their language. But there are some others who don't like if u speak it incorrectly. As a tourist u will rarely come across these types though.

That's cool. I kinda figured that was the case anyway, just wanted to verify the facts, ya know. Thanks.

Pirate515
07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, my friend (he is half French and half American) says that most French people do appreciate the attempts you make at speaking their language. But there are some others who don't like it if you speak it incorrectly. As a tourist you will rarely come across these types though.That's what I've heard as well. I am this way too, if you make an attempt to speak English here in this country, I will make my best attempt to understand you even if you are not speaking it clearly or correctly. What I sometimes do when I encounter someone who is not speaking correctly is correct them so that they won't make the same mistake again. But to laugh at them and/or snub them is extremely rude.

The people that I do hate are the arrogant types who come to this country with the attitude that we should be speaking THEIR language. Anyone who pulls this in France deserves to get snubbed by the French (and the same goes for all other countries).

Shep
07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
That's what I've heard as well. I am this way too, if you make an attempt to speak English here in this country, I will make my best attempt to understand you if you are not speaking it clearly or correctly. What I sometimes do when I encounter someone who is not speaking correctly is correct them so that they won't make the same mistake again. But to laugh at them and/or snob them is extremely rude.

The people that I do hate are the arrogant types who come to this country with the attitude that we should be speaking THEIR language. Anyone who pulls this in France deserves to get snubbed by the French as well (and the same goes for all other countries).

I agree, 100%.

Spartan500
07-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Same for me

Quentin
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
My experiences have been all positive.