PDA

View Full Version : Anthony's Analysis of the song Coeur déjà pris

garçoncanadien
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Le source de cette analyse est le nid d’alizée

Anthony’s personal translation for the site Alizée’s nest. Please do not take this and put it on your sites.

The song “Heart already taken” that ends the album “My electric currents” seems quite simply to retrace Alizée’s frustration to not be able to live her love with the man she loves, this being “already taken”.
And still, it would be too reductionist to associate this magnificent text from Mylène to a simple broken love. Let us take this opportunity to quiet all those ladies and gentlemen who cause greater and greater scandal by saying that Alizée singing is a joke. “Heart already taken” justly reflects the subtlety of talking about a subject but not naming it directly in the text: classic Farmer style.
While reading these words you may ask yourself what is it talking about? So, “Heart already taken” is nothing other than an Alizée style monologue about someone who she loves but who is dead…

In the first couplet she explains to us that the “enemy” is not what we believe it is, the enemy in actuality is not a woman, it represents death that has taken away who Alizée loves.
“Go and understand, that it is time that will unite us?”: only Alizée’s death will make her be able to rejoin who she loves.
Several questions come in the young singer’s spirit, about death.
There, she tries to understand “why…”:”While sleeping, is she a “canvas”? Is she tender, are her hands loving?”.
I see her gestures, that resemble mine”: Alizée”: Alizée dreams about the charm that death has given her beloved just like she was able to do in the past.
“Is she young, I leave the weight of my destiny… in … your hands”: Alizée is talking to death, she gives it her destiny and with this tells it “choose the moment when I will be able to find him again”.

The refrain is the message that Alizée sings to the ghost of who she loved. She asks him to keep her in his heart, she apologizes for being at fault because she cannot stop herself from forgetting him, seeing him, loving him, and to not give herself up to his new lover which would be death.

The beginning of the second couplet relates the facts that we frequently have in our mind or are thinking about after the death of somebody.
“But surprise All the unsaid things”.
“I lose my voice When I am close to you”. This strophe has two meanings, we see a fluttering heart in the presence of a person who we love dearly or the fear of being in the presence of a ghost.
“If it is time that will forget us?”
Alizée observes that she can no longer live without him, time forgets him, only death resembles them, this horrible negotiator between the two lovers.
The questions about death come back, Alizée states a metaphor of death by a “star”, she tries to charm this death in order to flatter it, and maybe, that it will agree to give her back her darling loved one.
At the end of the second couplet, Alizée perceives a lost message, but like all Farmer style endings, it will be a tragic ending: The message from her loved one was not addressed directly to her, he prefers to use the negotiator (death) and tells it “I leave the weight of her sadness… In… your hands”, said in other words, he leaves Alizée’s sadness in death’s hands and abandons Alizée for paradise…

Anthony... http://www.pardonnenous.com

Moe
04-04-2007, 08:34 AM
wow very interesting, thanks for the translation Gc

RMJ
04-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Nice. :)

Except that I again say that it's very annoying to read text that has names translated...

Don't you think so, canadianboy ? :blink:

It makes reading it so difficult when you every time to think what you might mean with each translation. 99% people would never guess what is Alizée's nest for example. Since they don't know French, they cannot make the connection.

JCC
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Interesting analysis :confused:

garçoncanadien
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice. :)

Except that I again say that it's very annoying to read text that has names translated...

Don't you think so, canadianboy ? :blink:

It makes reading it so difficult when you every time to think what you might mean with each translation. 99% people would never guess what is Alizée's nest for example. Since they don't know French, they cannot make the connection.

plz tell me what are your criteria for translating and not translating :) and i will try to do it next time.

Interesting analysis :confused:

why confusion? i am :confused: also now :D

Twitch
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Well I find that it is preferred that if you are going to provide the English translations of song titles, etc.. it is better to put the French titles first, as that is what they are actually called (and what most people know them as), and then put the English translations for them in brackets, separated by a slash, or whatever. Because, like RMJ said, if you only understand English you probably won't be able to translate them back into French to know what is being discussed. The same might be be good for any quotes from the lyrics that are discussed, although one would think that by the time you're reading an analysis you would have actually read a translation if you yourself don't understand French. But then there's no pleasing everybody is there.

RMJ
04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
plz tell me what are your criteria for translating and not translating :) and i will try to do it next time.
Like said, it causes confusion. You don't call Alizée Tradewind either. Even if it's the translation for it (well, it's not, but close enough).

Mes Courants Électriques = Mes Courants Électriques
À Contre-Courant = À Contre-Courant
Le Nid d'Alizée = Le Nid d'Alizée (or Nidalizée if you are lazy to type)

There's no point translating names. You can provide the translation of course like:

Alizée's first album, Gourmandises ( Delicacies ), was huge hit world wide. Gourmandises sold over 1.5 million copies.

Notice how I provided the translation without losing the the original name. Just when it's first used, provide translation of it (if it's not self-explanary, or impossible to trasnlate, like Youpidou for example ), putting it in brackets for example (like I did, but I don't mean it's only way to do it).

This is common standard everywhere in the world really. You don't translate names unless you specifically want to know what it means (if anything). Translating it causes confusion, because then people don't know what it originally was. And if they needs to find the original, they have no idea where to find it because they don't know what it's really called.

Think about conversation between you and person2.
*garçon the enters chat*
garçon: hi!
person2: hi!
garçon: have you heard lili's new single ! I'm not twenty !
person2: it sucks.. it's lyrics are plain silly. the music is ok tho.
garçon: what do you mean silly ?
person2: well, how it talks about boogie-woogie
garçon: uh... ? it doesn't mention boogie-woogie
person2: sure it does. if you newbie cannot read then get lost !
garçon: fine... piss off !
*garçon leaves the chat*
person2: newblet...

But what we never found out is that garçon was actually talking about J'ai Pas Vingt Ans ! Not about I'm Not Twenty ! But world will never know....

Of course that's not quite real life situation... or who knows.. but anyways, you get the point. Translating song names is bad in text. Only translate if you want to understand the meaning of the title. Like in next day happens:

*garçon enters the chat*
person2: great... this newblet again...
person1: comon, he ain't that bad !
garçon: hey, have you heard coeur déjà pris ?
person2: woah... he has learned something O_o
garçon: like what ? uh... well, anyways... what do you think it means? I mean it means "heart already taken" but what's the deeper meaning of it. How it relates to lyrics and the message of the song.
person2: well, it means that rmj never had a chance with her, jrm took the heart first.
person1: lolz
garçon: ah alright. too bad for rmj. hope he survives. but anyways, coeur déjà pris is excellent song.
person2: yea it is. welcome to chat btw.
garçon: merci
person2: sigh... this isn't some fricking french chat...get lost !
*garçon leaves the chat*
*person1 kickbans person2 from chat*
*person1 changes nick to Alizée*
Alizée: ah, finally peace again
rmj: yeah, about time
Alizée: so, how's it going ?
rmj: not too bad... but could be better if ya'd come tonight here. Got Amélie DVD ready
Alizée: ooh! it's my favorite ! i'll be right there
rmj: ok, cya.
Alizée: à très vite !
*Alizée quits the chat*
rmj: :wub:

disclaimer:
No Lili was harmed during this chat conversation...

RMJ
04-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Btw, garçon... right now would be good time to stop by the chat. ;) (since she's still on the way to my place...)

(well, Lili isn't there but all the others are. :p )

madraven
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
*garçon enters the chat*
person2: great... this newblet again...
person1: comon, he ain't that bad !
garçon: hey, have you heard coeur déjà pris ?
person2: woah... he has learned something O_o
garçon: like what ? uh... well, anyways... what do you think it means? I mean it means "heart already taken" but what's the deeper meaning of it. How it relates to lyrics and the message of the song.
person2: well, it means that rmj never had a chance with her, jrm took the heart first.
person1: lolz
garçon: ah alright. too bad for rmj. hope he survives. but anyways, coeur déjà pris is excellent song.
person2: yea it is. welcome to chat btw.
garçon: merci
person2: sigh... this isn't some fricking french chat...get lost !
*garçon leaves the chat*
*person1 kickbans person2 from chat*
*person1 changes nick to Alizée*
Alizée: ah, finally peace again
rmj: yeah, about time
Alizée: so, how's it going ?
rmj: not too bad... but could be better if ya'd come tonight here. Got Amélie DVD ready
Alizée: ooh! it's my favorite ! i'll be right there
rmj: ok, cya.
Alizée: à très vite !
*Alizée quits the chat*
rmj: :wub:

disclaimer:
No Lili was harmed during this chat conversation...

haha, thats great RMJ! :D :D

Zack -Alizee Lover-
04-04-2007, 11:11 PM
LOL RMJ, thats what happens when RMJ starts to dream on and on... :D

atra201
04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
RMJ tell me this if you would
What is your favorite type of a movie ? Drama?

RMJ
04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I like 'em all.

CFHollister
04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Well back on topic, very interesting analysis. Thanks for the translation garçon.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
04-08-2007, 05:19 AM
If i die someday and alizee is still alive, i would stay here just to still watch alizee :D she would be like my paradise...
Thanks garco for the translation, as always a good work.

Euphoria
03-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Wow, I just heard this song for the first time (just got my Mes Courants Électriques cd:D) This song is absolutely amazing, my favorite out of all of her songs. And the lyrics are so beautiful. Classic Mylène....but its extremely beautiful.:wub:

Toc De Mac
12-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I hadn't listened to this song in quite a while, and I must admit that it never fails to give me goosebumps.

lefty12357
12-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I hadn't listened to this song in quite a while, and I must admit that it never fails to give me goosebumps.

I love this song and it never fails to move me too. It's what I call a "driveway moment" song. When I have the MCE CD playing and I pull into my driveway, if this song is playing, I'll sit in my car until it's done.

Oh hell, who am I kidding - all of Alizée's songs from all her CDs are "driveway moment" songs.:)

Ruroshen
12-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Wow, some serious thread necromancy going on, here! :D

It is a beautiful song, though. I tend not to listen to it as often simply because it's not uptempo, but it really does rank as one of my favorites.