PDA

View Full Version : LUCKY 7's

NANAKI
04-11-2007, 09:27 PM
The site has reached 777 members which is a lucky number so something goo probably happened to Alizée today. Also in french I learned what tempete means which is cool I was told it means blizzard or just a really bad storm. So Alizée had a song called terrible storm basically.

I <3 Zombies
04-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Hey, what do you know, there is a blizzard right here in good ole Wisconsin...

Rocket
04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Maybe the Cubs will win the World Series this year. :p

lefty12357
04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey, what do you know, there is a blizzard right here in good ole Wisconsin...

Yeah, neighbor, that storm has been passing through Minnesota today.

Twitch
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Maybe the Cubs will win the World Series this year. :p
It could happen, it did for the Red Sox after all. But being a Leafs fan I can somewhat sympathize with Cubs fans because I know what it is like growing up rooting for a team that never wins, they didn't even make the playoffs this year. Ah well I'm still young hopefully I'll live long enough to see the Leafs bring Lord Stanley's Cup back home to Canada again someday.

SupaKrupa
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
S'ok, twitch. I used to root for a team that was voted wooden spooners. Two years later they won the premiership. The year after, runner ups by 1 point. :) All teams get really good once in a while :D - I wish we played ice hockey :(

NANAKI
04-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I am a soxs fan born on the southside and raised on the southside till I was 13 then moved to the Northshore still loyal

Rocket
04-11-2007, 10:58 PM
The Cubs haven't won a World Series since 1908.

Since that time 10 great things have happened....

10. Haley's Comet has passed the earth. Twice.

9. The NBA, NHL, and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league.

8. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of major motion pictures, the latter giving Cubs fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.

7. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.

6. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to the Union.

5. Harry Caray was born. And drank. And drank. And drank. And died. And had a statue built for him.

4. Men have landed on the Moon.

3. Radio was invented; Cubs fans got to hear their team lose. TV was invented; Cubs fans got to see their team lose. Baseball added 14 teams; Cubs fans got to see and hear their team lose to more teams.

2. Flag poles were erected on the Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team's future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.

1. Alizee was born.

theit77
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
hilarious rocket

SupaKrupa
04-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Suuuuuuch a clown :)

CFHollister
04-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Rocket, that was great. :D

Edcognito
04-12-2007, 05:34 AM
THAT is a true fan!

(I knew all the others, but i never knew about the flag poles!)

Ed

c-dawg777
04-12-2007, 06:59 AM
The site has reached 777 members which is a lucky number so something goo probably happened to Alizée today. Also in french I learned what tempete means which is cool I was told it means blizzard or just a really bad storm. So Alizée had a song called terrible storm basically.

Thus my name has three 7's in it...:D

Also I find it funny whenever i figure out the meaning of a word in a different language...for example the word tempete.
If you thought about it for a while you might be able to figure out that it is close to the word Tempest which also means terrible storm....woooo spooky!;)

And Rocket that was quite clever... what website did you get it from? J/K:)

CFHollister
04-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Also I find it funny whenever i figure out the meaning of a word in a different language...for example the word tempete.
If you thought about it for a while you might be able to figure out that it is close to the word Tempest which also means terrible storm....woooo spooky!;)

Also there's this thing with French where vowels with a circomflex accent followed by a t often have an s inserted between them in English:

forêt = forest
mât = mast
tempête = tempest;)

EDIT: Some more I found:
fête = fest (celebrate/celebration i.e. La fête de la musique)
pâte = paste

SupaKrupa
04-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Thus my name has three 7's in it...:D

And Rocket that was quite clever... what website did you get it from? J/K:)

The french language has done that to me many, many times. Comprendre = To understand (comprehend) is the only one that I've managed not to forget

rcs
04-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Rocket, don't forget:
11. Alizee
:p

RMJ
04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Also there's this thing with French where vowels with a circomflex accent followed by a t often have an s inserted between them in English:

"S inserted in English" is bit silly way to say it since the S was there in French words, too, back in good old times when the word was loaned from French to English or English to French. Both had the S, French just dropped it off later.

Twitch
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm sure the Cubs will win the series in 2008, and then make their fans wait another century until they do it again. I'm only joking :p I actually wouldn't mind seeing them win, I've always liked the traditional ball parks over the newer stadiums and Wrigley is one of the last of them left. (I know they have blocked seats and less amenities but they have a lot more character and each one was unique.)

Which is more than I can say for Maple Leaf Gardens, the Leafs old home, which although is the last of the original six NHL arenas left and probably one of the more famous hockey arenas, is attempting to be gutted and turned into a grocery store with 2 levels of internal parking by its current owner Loblaws. And how did Loblaws get it, well the current owners of the Leafs and their new arena refused to sell the old gardens to anyone who actually planed on keeping it as a hockey arena(and they did get several offers) because they didn't want any competition for the new Air Canada Center, regardless of how important the building's history is to most hockey fans and players (it is featured on the Conn Smythe trophy) . Ah well that's just my gripe for not getting a chance to go skating there before they closed it down.

NANAKI
04-12-2007, 01:43 PM

forêt = forest
mât = mast
tempête = tempest;)

EDIT: Some more I found:
fête = fest (celebrate/celebration i.e. La fête de la musique)
pâte = paste

The french language has done that to me many, many times. Comprendre = To understand (comprehend) is the only one that I've managed not to forget

the thing you have to know is the English language has been based off the French language so therefore there are many similarities

Rocket
04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Rocket, don't forget:
11. Alizee
:p

You are absolutly correct rcs. In fact, I made her No. 1 :D

CFHollister
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
You are absolutly correct rcs. In fact, I made her No. 1 :D

As it should be ;)

garçoncanadien
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
hmmmm any translations plz

I do not understand what is going on with Rocket's list of items :confused:

Rocket
04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
hmmmm any translations plz

I do not understand what is going on with Rocket's list of items :confused:

The Cubs are a baseball team from Chicago. The last time they won the biggest game in baseball was in 1908. Since then they became the butt of many jokes. And the Cubs owners laugh. All the way to the bank. :p Wrigley Field (Home of the Cubs) is the third largest tourist attraction in the city of Chicago. This list was an attempt of humor showing interesting things that have happened over the course of 99 years.

garçoncanadien
04-12-2007, 05:59 PM
ah merci Rocket :) and another translation plz

what does "laugh all the way to the bank mean"?

CFHollister
04-12-2007, 06:11 PM
ah merci Rocket :) and another translation plz

what does "laugh all the way to the bank mean"?

It means that though they are the butt of the jokes, that they get the last laugh because they have been able to make quite a lot of money off of their reputation as losers, generating money as a tourist attraction.

Rocket
04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
What CFH said :)

DesertFox
04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I WISH for the Cubs to win the world series!!! (That will show me if the lamp i found has a genie or not in it) :) GOOOOOOO CUBS!!!

Uméesha
04-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Seven is great number and my Lucky Number......
because seven colors make RAINBOW.
Seven swara makes MUSIC.
Seven day's makes a WEEK.
Seven spellings make FRIENDS.