PDA

View Full Version : Anthony's Analysis of the song Amelie m'a dit

garçoncanadien
04-26-2007, 07:15 PM
source: nidalizee.com

Introduction:

“Amélie m’a dit” is a reference to Amélie, the heroine of the film "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain". Alizée has always liked this character, it is without a doubt from an agreement with Mylène that the photographer Robin proposed her a “reference” to the film (see opposite). The text is quite sad but like in the film a sign of hope comes forth.

1st couplet:

“Solitary, little round cloud
In the sky, some shapes off far…”
Amélie Poulain is a little lonely woman who lives in her dreams, when she was a child she saw animal shapes in the clouds that she took photos of.
“The light, the spark that tells her
Mine misses her so, but”: In the film, the trigger that allows Amélie to realize that her life is monotonous and that she must change it is the death of Lady Diana, which is the spark that Mylène releases again. The second strophe says that Alizée wants a man just like Amélie wants her alter ego, the photo collector.

2nd couplet:

“I stop the shadow
That she makes over me, when she’s not well”: Alizée is in doubt, like every human being she asks herself questions again and asks herself like Amélie what could make her life less monotonous.
“Understand her shadows,
To help her, if she believes in me”: Alizée wants to stand strong against her doubts, she wants to help the other just like Amélie helps the others to live more happily.
“Cut the machine, that makes rain, to change life
That everything is possible, its Amélie, who told it to me…”: Alizée confesses her secrets to Amélie, its her who indirectly showed her the road to happiness, that it is possible to change her life.

Refrain:

“Amelie has gold to give
Melody of life, it’s the journey
Amélie is like friendship
Of poetry on the edge of your lips”: Despite all the traps in life, Alizée invites all of us to find the Amélie in our life that will know how to make each moment shine.

“Amélie has gold to give
Amélie’s words are full of honey
Amélie so tender or flattered
Melody of life, ode to mine”: Here Mylène gives herself the luxury of comparing herself to Amélie, the words that Mylène offers to Alizée through song are full of honey just like Amélie’s words. In the English version the refrain ends on "Mélodie de vie, Mélo d'Amélie" which seems to be a reference to the film when the grocer gives the young lady a last name "L'Amélie mélo".

3rd couplet:

“Lonely in my photo booth
I’m not pretty, but its in unison
That we call each other, find each other, follow each other, but
I watch over. Amélie as well.”: the link to the film is very obvious with the reference to the photo booth that is the link between Amélie and her future lover, in fact, these two find each other at the same time, which is where the words “unison, call, find, follow…” come from.

4th couplet

“The lights of may
So sweet, so wild
Draw the gestures
And of red, on my lips…” The last couplet clearly describes the picture of Renoir that paints man with glass bones in the film, the lights of May so sweet and wild define the palette of colours in the painting, the man draws the features of the girl in the glass of water but her mouth is hidden by the glass, here its Alizée who puts herself in the shoes of the woman in the painting and explains to us that she becomes a woman by the metaphor of the lipstick.

Merci Alizée
04-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Indeed a very good work as with the other songs too. This is one of the earliest songs of her that I liked. This analysis makes me realize once again how beautiful this song is.

Melle Katherine
01-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Thanks for this analysis. I like very much this song and the film too. :)