PDA

View Full Version : Anthony's Analysis of the song Moi Lolita

garçoncanadien
04-26-2007, 07:23 PM
source: nidalizee.com

The title:

“Me… Lolita”, this not-so-benign title that presents at the same time the character of Nabokov (author of the novel Lolita) and the artist “Alizée”. Farmer’s artistic hand stretches so far as to name the official site for this occasion http://www.moi-alizee.com.
The “Me…” therefore references the egocentric side of adolescence (theme that is repeated again in “l’Alizé”).

The first couplet:

“My name is Lolita”: The start of a monologue that revolves around egocentrism, as well as the affirmation of the Nabokov’s Lolita, therefore an adolescent who amuses you with the sole purpose of entertaining herself, she plays with the idea of having a sexual relationship but it stays as just an idea.

“Lo or even Lola”: Lo is one psychological part of Lolita and Lola is another, she will uncover herself during the duration of the song.

“Its all the same”: On first looks it’s a difference in first names that does not bother her. Call me Lo or Lola, you can do whichever you want”. On a more basic level, she informs the other part of her being that it can get to know her and defines it as Lo or as Lola.

“My name is Lolita”: Repetition of the primary idea, in the form of closing in on her prey. She charms him also by this repetition.

“When I dream about the wolves
It is Lola who bleeds”: This is awesome! She reveals her two sides. Lola bleeds (symbolizes evil, the evil of life, anxiousness) when she dreams about the wolves (anxiousness about relationships with men, wolves: sex with men). Lola is therefore the virgin and Lo is the teaser.

“When I say something wrong, I have there
A crazy laugh, as crazy
As a phenomenon”: “Lola” the virgin insinuates adolescent excitement that lives life to the fullest, while “Lo” the teaser talks about the first difficult kisses.

“My name is Lolita”: Reiteration of the charm of “Lo” and the game of “Lola”.

“Lo of life, Lo to the floods of love”: Play on words with “The essence of life”, a reference to the drunkenness of first love, this same love that tones down, Lo accumulates experience.

Refrain

“It’s not my fault”: Lack of concern, eternal childhood, wish that Lola will never die for Lo.

“And when I give up
I see the others
Ready to jump on me”: Me Lo, I become Lola again, I no longer want to charm you. Unfortunately for Lolita the men are not kidding around. She feels what she has done (turn men on) is serious and she knows now that something might happen to her.

“It’s not my fault
If I hear all around me”: I am innocent, Lolita tries desperately to release herself from the men’s grip, she tries to prove that her virginity will protect her against a certain feeling for the man.

“L.O.L.I.T.A. (El Oh El Eye Tee Ay)”: Reference to the novel "She was Lo..., she was Lola, she was L. O. L. I. T. A..." and a play on words that defines the attraction of the Lolita.

“Moi… Lolita”: See title.

The second couplet:

“My name is Lolita”: See first strophe of 1st couplet.

“College student on my bottom half
Methylene blue”: The college refers to the wise and studious side of “Lola”, the bottom half when she talks about Lo’s attire, while the methylene blue serves to refer to Mylène’s blue, through these words, Mylène offers her finery to “Lo”.

“My name is Lolita”: See first strophe of 1st couplet.

“Quick-tempered and not
Half cotton, half wool”: I am not a mixture of myself and Mylène, she helps me but I am not her, I am Lolita, I am Lo or Lola, and don’t get confused! (at the time the media most certainly did not understand this strophe in this way. Lol).

“Quiet mouths that don’t say
To mommy that I
Am a phenomenon”: Lolita maintains normal relations with her mother, she presents herself as Lola, but does not ask her any advice as Lo, and does not talk to her about her loves or her nights.

“My name is Lolita”: Reiteration of the charm of “Lo” and the game of “Lola”.

“Lo of life, Lo to the floods of love”: Play on words with “The essence of life”, a reference to the drunkenness of first love, this same love that tones down, Lo accumulates experience.

Luc
04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks for your translation garçoncanadien!

Joey_adore_Jung
04-27-2007, 03:56 PM
dude that is very cool you put in a lot of work that is bloody awesome

Zack -Alizee Lover-
04-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Anthony really does a good work...
Thx Garco! :D

Joey_adore_Jung
04-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Garcon your awesome at this stuff great to know you put all that work into the translations
GREAT WORK GARCON!:D

Bigdan
06-30-2007, 04:48 PM
source: nidalizee.com

The title:

“Me… Lolita”, this not-so-benign title that presents at the same time the character of Nabokov (author of the novel Lolita) and the artist “Alizée”. Farmer’s artistic hand stretches so far as to name the official site for this occasion http://www.moi-alizee.com.
The “Me…” therefore references the egocentric side of adolescence (theme that is repeated again in “l’Alizé”).

If I can add my modest contribution:
"Lolita", (the young girl who turn on older man in the book) is the character Mylène choose to "create" when she decides to produces music for an another artist than her.And she chooses the young Alizee Jacotet for the part. It was both an artistic and a commercial choice.. ( i think)
Mylène love ambiguity. She know that could be provocative to have this song sing by a real teen...

Refrain

“It’s not my fault”: Lack of concern, eternal childhood, wish that Lola will never die for Lo.

"C'est pas faute à moi !" could be understanding as the claim of a girl who pretend to still behave like a child althought she know she now a woman who turn men on.
She pretend it's not her fault, but she know doing this irritate men around her. it's a kind of game. The purpose of Mylène is to make the people understand that she's not so innocent. ( dispise what she say)

“Quick-tempered and not
Half cotton, half wool”: I am not a mixture of myself and Mylène, she helps me but I am not her, I am Lolita, I am Lo or Lola, and don’t get confused! (at the time the media most certainly did not understand this strophe in this way. Lol).

Half cotton, half wool = mi-coton, mi-laine ( Mi-laine = Mylène.)
Did you get this, in the translation?

well, thats all for tonight.:)

fsquared
06-30-2007, 05:45 PM
BTW, Is there a usual meaning for "mi-coton, mi-laine" in French (e.g., are there some clothes that are sometimes made like that, like stockings or socks)?

espire
07-01-2007, 01:19 AM
To tell the truth, I've always liked interpretations done by The_Honorable the most. Here's his, if anyone cares to read it: http://www.mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=1690

However, this one is also excellent.