PDA

View Full Version : Alizee's Song Titles Translation

rcs
08-01-2006, 05:33 AM
To anyone who may know. We have such great translations for all of Alizee's songs. But, I was wondering if some of the song titles themselves could be translated, or are they specifically french titles without an english equivalant?

garçoncanadien
08-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Some of the translations are already provided on the videos page, but the missing ones are as follows:

Moi lolita = me, lolita
L'alizé = the trade wind
Ella, elle l'a = a combination of french and spanish that means she's got it
La isla bonita = spanish for The Beautiful Island
A contre courant = against the current
Toc de mac = Corsican french for "it's killer" or "it's fantastic"
Youpidoo = hooray, yippee
Mon maquis = my maquis
Gourmandises = delicacies
Amélie m'a dit = Amélie told me

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 09:10 AM
About the lyrics, I don't know if I should try to improve some that I've found here. I think most of them have been made with an online translator and it can't be any good that's sure! But it would be a huge pain in the ass for me since there are many many puns and many many French allusions that wouldn't work in English.

French allusion example in J'en Ai Marre:
J'en ai marre de ces cyniques,
Et dans les prés, les colchiques,

There's a children song in France that NOT ONE French child has missed and that is called "Colchiques dans les prés" ("Autumn crocus in the meadows"). Farmer obviously uses that song as a reference (she would hate that old tune now? :) ) and that would give in English: "In the meadows, (I'm fed up with) Autumn crocus"! Eh? why that when you don't know the old children song?

Now, translator mistakes example in Moi Lolita:

C'est pas ma faute à moi
Si j'entends tout autour de moi
Hello, helli, t'es A (L.O.L.I.T.A.)

giving this in your current translation:

It's not my own fault
If I hear everything around me
Hello, helli, you're A (L.O.L.I.T.A.)

1. A mistake that only a translator would do: "tout" in French (in the 2nd line) may mean either "all" or "everything" depending of the rest of the sentence and unfortunately the translator wrongly chose the latter. I'm sure this is not the same for you:
Correct: It's not my own fault if I hear all around me: "L" "O" "L" "I" "T" "A"
Wrong: It's not my own fault if I hear everything around me: "L" "O" "L" "I" "T" "A"

2. Second: inevitable of course! "Hello, helli, t'es A" is words assembled to simulate the spelling of "Lolita", but as the French spell those letters of course. So "you're A" sure won't do it, even in English :). Could have been put: "Hello Hell Eye Tee A" instead (means nothing but the original line in French neither!)

And I've seen many other bits like that in other songs!

Impurator
08-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I'd actually enjoy reading that sort of "proper translation" quite a bit, aFrenchie. I'm trying to improve my French and it is my understanding that the songs are peppered with colloquialisms and pop culture references, so it would help me to have them explained.

Thanks in advance if you do :)

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Ok Impurator, I'll illustrate other things like that here if you want. To others: tell me if you're interested too. The more of you the more motivated I will be to do it...

I forgot to mention some pun examples in my post above.
"A Contre Courant" is great for that! This song is all about puns with the electricity theme...

Here are two of them:

1. "Mets-moi au courant"
"Mets-moi au courant" that is translated "Keep me informed" in your lyrics version. The translation is correct but you could wonder why she says that. You could have guessed though by her "Mes Courants Electriques" title. In French, Courant means Stream here -> Electric Stream = Electric Energy, Electricity
Other locutions:
Couper le courant: to cut off the power
Courant alternatif: alternating current

2. "Les corps-circuits..."
"Les corps-circuits" in French means... nothing! It just sounds like "courts-circuits" that means "short circuits" in English! (electricity again :) )
Translation in your page here:
"The body currents..." corps = body indeed, "circuits" not really "current" though! but as a whole no pun possible...

dvtq
08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Only lolita , i think someone should explain it , i dont know how to do that though i understand it :)

brad
08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
this is good stuff frenchie... it is hard to translate alizee's songs because there are so many double meanings.

i always liked a lot of the interpretations / translations found here ...

http://mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=1074

I adapted some of those to J'en ai marre and included them on this video.

http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=32

Can you watch that video and see if the subtitles are completely wrong anywhere? i understand it is not a word for word translation, but i wanted to change it enough so it actually made some sense in english.

look it over and tell me all the problems .. lol (if you have time).

i would love to get more of these 'interpretations' of the songs, since you lose so much meaning in just a literal translation.

garçoncanadien
08-01-2006, 03:53 PM
completly should be spelled completely

"I'm fed up with those who whine": crying is a stronger word than whine, maybe you could convey the stronger meaning there?

otherwise, one vote for great subtitles!

garçoncanadien
08-01-2006, 03:55 PM
And afrenchie, tell us about the puns and idiomatic expressions please! I'd be one eager pair of ears/eyes.

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Brad,

If I compare your own J'en Ai Marre lyrics and those in your 1st link above, I'd say that there are better things in yours and better things in his!
It's too difficult anyway. I've given it a little try myself in a brand new version and I finally prefered to give up. Too many "imageries", double meanings impossible in another language, etc. Farmer is good for that! :)
They did the best thing to do for the "real" English version (I'm Fed Up): rewrite everything from scratch!

Some interesting things if you want to improve it (I've seen nothing good in both translations for those):
- "Des extrémistes à deux balles": in this sentence "2 balles" is for "2 Euros" (well, in fact for "Francs" before the Euro but it's still used!) like when you say "buck" for Dollar, so litterally: "Extremist not worth 2 bucks", I'd say something like "laughable extremists" or simply "stupid extremists"
- "Qui m’expédient dans l’cafard": VERY weird, it's not good French for sure (Farmer's dialect! :rolleyes: ). Although, I'm sure of the meaning: "avoir le cafard" (or "sombrer dans le cafard") = "to feel low / glum / blue", so -> "That make me feel <choose-one-the-best-word-here>"
- "Y’a comme un hic": my dictionary says: hic = snag (could it be good?). Anyway, explanation is always better than word for word attempts: we say "Y a un hic" in French when there's a little problem, a little worry, something unexpected. "Comme" = "Like", so I'd try "there's like a little snag" (if snag is ok for you???)

brad
08-01-2006, 06:44 PM
- "Des extrémistes à deux balles": in this sentence "2 balles" is for "2 Euros" (well, in fact for "Francs" before the Euro but it's still used!) like when you say "buck" for Dollar, so litterally: "Extremist not worth 2 bucks", I'd say something like "laughable extremists" or simply "stupid extremists"

a lot of people think she is talking about 'Male Extremists' here (if you can see the obvious connection). I always knew there had to be something more to that .. just didnt seem right, lol.

- "Qui m’expédient dans l’cafard": VERY weird, it's not good French for sure (Farmer's dialect! :rolleyes: ). Although, I'm sure of the meaning: "avoir le cafard" (or "sombrer dans le cafard") = "to feel low / glum / blue", so -> "That make me feel <choose-one-the-best-word-here>"

This is interesting ... looks like the translation I am using is WAAAAY off here.

- "Y’a comme un hic": my dictionary says: hic = snag (could it be good?). Anyway, explanation is always better than word for word attempts: we say "Y a un hic" in French when there's a little problem, a little worry, something unexpected. "Comme" = "Like", so I'd try "there's like a little snag" (if snag is ok for you???)

After looking at what you wrote, I actually think 'tricky' works here. I think the people that translated this song tried to take a lot of 'symbolism' out of the lyrics .. probably more than there should be. (like why they chose to use tricky here instead of snag)

translations are interesting, because words can have so many subtle meanings when used in different ways. you can really change the meaning of a song just by chaning one word here or there.

I wouldnt mind seeing your version of this song .. but like you said, I think most of these songs are literally impossible to translate.

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 08:02 PM
a lot of people think she is talking about 'Male Extremists' here (if you can see the obvious connection).
Not really (connection) but it may be me. Or is there a possible pun in English, impossible in French, this time? :)
I'm quite sure that the idea is only to laugh at some people that want to prove their (extreme) political ideas when they're just suckers...

This is interesting ... looks like the translation I am using is WAAAAY off here.
You used:
"lead me on like hypocrites"
you probably just changed The Honorable's version a bit:
"Who lead me on hypocritically (4)"
He also added this comment in the forum:
(4) Idiomatic expression....ahhhh! Heh, heh...Did I get this right? I pulled that one out of my memories of French II from back in the days...

Sincerely, I fail to see the idiomatic expression he's talking about! Can't see the connection with hypocrisy...

After looking at what you wrote, I actually think 'tricky' works here. I think the people that translated this song tried to take a lot of 'symbolism' out of the lyrics .. probably more than there should be. (like why they chose to use tricky here instead of snag)
Well, now that I think about it, maybe you/they found very good ways to get around French lyrics when they're impossible to translate similarly! I mean some English tricks that would escape to me because English is not my first language! Then maybe I just should shut up. Ha ha! :D
Can the "Getting there can be tricky" expression (or Honorable's "Getting there is tricky") be a good replacement for the unexpected little problem idea that I explained in my previous post?

I wouldnt mind seeing your version of this song .. but like you said, I think most of these songs are literally impossible to translate.
Ouch, I haven't saved the text! Anyway, I made only a little bit...

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok, I've read The Honorable's posts further in the forum. Now I can see the connection for the extremists: the 2 balls! Ha ha! :D :D
Big problem: it's in French and what he's thinking about are never called "balles" in French. Not even "boules" that would be way more appropriate! We use TONS of other words for that. Just not this one!

brad
08-01-2006, 08:30 PM
how about this ...

Délit docile

i translated it (with a lot of weird research) to be

mildly offensive

That was a really hard thing for me to figure out, i'm not sure if it is correct.

brad
08-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Ok, I've read The Honorable's posts further in the forum. Now I can see the connection for the extremists: the 2 balls! Ha ha! :D :D
Big problem: it's in French and what he's thinking about are never called "balles" in French. Not even "boules" that would be way more appropriate! We use TONS of other words for that. Just not this one!

exactly .. that is what i was thinking, the honorable has a tendency to insert a lot of 'suggestive' lyrics when I don't think they really should be there. still tho, i tend to think his are the most accurate.

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
how about this ...

Délit docile

i translated it (with a lot of weird research) to be

mildly offensive
Why not, yes! It's an "image" (metaphor sense) anyway, even in French, so you surely know better than me in English! Still: "Délit" is a noun, not an adjective. Maybe you should replace "mildly" with "mild"

exactly .. that is what i was thinking, the honorable has a tendency to insert a lot of 'suggestive' lyrics when I don't think they really should be there. still tho, i tend to think his are the most accurate.
He's not bad indeed. He seems to know some French. But this time he made a huge (and hilarious) mistake about the balls :)

brad
08-01-2006, 08:55 PM
well .. babelfish says

Délit = offence
docile = flexible

so that makes me think of (and keep in mind i don't know any french) a nuisance, or inconvenience, or something that just bugs you a little bit.

it is a little bit of a stretch, but if you know what 'mildly offensive' means in english .. Délit docile mean something similar?

for example, some people might find it mildly offensive if you didn't take your shoes off when going into their house... lol

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Literally, Délit is offence indeed, but in the criminal sense, like "misdemeanor" or even "crime". That can be just a theft though. Anyway something definitely reprehensible, condemnable.
I wouldn't think of "flexible" (that also exists in French) for docile. My dictionary says "docile", "tame", "submissive" in English. I think they're all better than flexible.

Actually, both terms are absolute opposites. That's what Farmer wanted of course. You should just try to do the same opposite in English.

brad
08-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Literally, Délit is offence indeed, but in the criminal sense, like "misdemeanor" or even "crime". That can be just a theft though. Anyway something definitely reprehensible, condemnable.
I wouldn't think of "flexible" (that also exists in French) for docile. My dictionary says "docile", "tame", "submissive" in English. I think they're all better than flexible.

Actually, both terms are absolute opposites. That's what Farmer wanted of course. You should just try to do the same opposite in English.

yeah i agree .. offence in english can be another word for a crime, and docile is actually used in english a lot. it means just as you said, tame or submissive .. 'peacefull' maybe.

i basically just tried to find a word that i could stick with offensive, and actually make sense. lol .. again from what you have written, i think it is correct.

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Note: according to my dictionnary "offensive" can be a noun. That's why I suggested "mild". Could have been "mild offence" as well...

brad
08-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Note: according to my dictionnary "offensive" can be a noun. That's why I suggested "mild". Could have been "mild offence" as well...

well .. since you are learning english, i will go ahead and confuse the hell out of you .. lol

mild is an adjective, but 'mildly' is actually an adverb (Adverbs can tell you where, when, how, why and to what extent something happens)

and you are correct that 'offense' is a noun, but 'offensive' is also an adjective.

a literal translation here would work 'docile offense' people would understand that .. but it just isnt used in everyday language and sounds awkward.

all of this over 2 words .. lmao ... this is great though, i have thought about this stuff for a year. im sure i will be bugging you over other things in the future.

aFrenchie
08-01-2006, 09:49 PM
mild is an adjective, but 'mildly' is actually an adverb (Adverbs can tell you where, when, how, why and to what extent something happens)
That's what I thought as well. Hence my suggestion. In "Mildly offensive", offensive was clearly put as an adjective? Couldn't fit the original... Tell me if I'm wrong...

all of this over 2 words .. lmao ...
:D
Mylène probably spent only 2 seconds: "I want an opposite with Délit... well well... Docile! not bad!
Fans will try to figure it out if they want. Next..."

Ben
08-01-2006, 10:13 PM
a lot of people think she is talking about 'Male Extremists' here (if you can see the obvious connection). I always knew there had to be something more to that .. just didnt seem right, lol.
Given the reference to seeing things in black and white in the next line, some people think this may also be a reference to Corsican nationalists (who dress all in black).

brad
08-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Given the reference to seeing things in black and white in the next line, some people think this may also be a reference to Corsican nationalists (who dress all in black).

yep ... thats why i kinda just passed it over, and said 'single minded extremists' .. cover all the bases .. lol

aFrenchie
08-02-2006, 07:31 AM
There's no way Alizée is referencing Corsican's tension in a song. You have to be very competent to sing political stuff in France. She and even Farmer wouldn't be taken seriously but probably laughed at big time! Not their domain, worse, not their competence!

brad
08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I really like getting this 'French perspective' .. One thing is for sure, I am going to have to re-do those subtitles :)

aFrenchie
08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I really like getting this 'French perspective' .. One thing is for sure, I am going to have to re-do those subtitles :)
I wouldn't care if it's a pain to do it. They're good enough... :)

aditya8617
08-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Yea, I think translations are good enough, I doubt most people even pay attention to them once they have their eyes and minds fixed on her dancing so..

Spartan500
08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Yea, I think translations are good enough, I doubt most people even pay attention to them once they have their eyes and minds fixed on her dancing so..
you forgot to mention her singing lol not that her singing is bad so please don't start flaming me lol

Ben
08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
She and even Farmer wouldn't be taken seriously but probably laughed at big time! Not their domain, worse, not their competence!
Mylene definitely makes some political references in a few of her songs and interviews (comments about Le Pen, America, etc.). Usually in subtext, of course, but I'm not surprised she sneaks them in there.

aditya8617
08-03-2006, 01:46 AM
you forgot to mention her singing lol not that her singing is bad so please don't start flaming me lol
I am not complaning about the singing, the place where I come from her music and songs are way better.

Spartan500
08-03-2006, 01:59 AM
I am not complaning about the singing, the place where I come from her music and songs are way better.
no I'm not saying you are complaining I just said you forgot to mention her voice its a joke so don't worry

Roman
01-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Literally, Délit is offence indeed, but in the criminal sense, like "misdemeanor" or even "crime". ... My dictionary says "docile", "tame", "submissive" in English. I think they're all better than flexible.
Thus, mild offense or mildly offensive. Which one of those or how it is taken would really depend on the context. In this case she's either saying that these are the things that she finds mildly offensive or admitting that complaining in this way is a bit childish. Since Délit is apparently being used as a noun, I'd say the docile offense would be the best literal translation (keeping in mind that I don't know French and am basically interpreting the English translation here:p ). That would make the best interpretive translation mild offense or something that doesn't sound kind of strange like docile offense. So, she's admitting to the childish frivolity of making a list of annoyances. You see, getting this kind of nuance can affect your assessment of the personality being portrayed and change your whole attitude toward the persona.
I think unless you really think it is clear that it means something else, it is best to stick as close as possible to a literal translation and then just explain idiomatic phrases.
Then, of course, it is a song and so putting words together often is not meant to do more than give you an idea, a feeling for what the lyrist is trying to say. In this song understanding the words is just a bonus. The way she sings and moves tells us all she really wants us men to know.
"Des extrémistes à deux balles": in this sentence "2 balles" is for "2 Euros" (well, in fact for "Francs" before the Euro but it's still used!) like when you say "buck" for Dollar, so litterally: "Extremist not worth 2 bucks", I'd say something like "laughable extremists" or simply "stupid extremists" Again, I don't think you can say literally unless à means not worth. I don't want to argue your point. It is perfectly good if the idiom is correct, but if it more literally translates to 'extremists with 2 bucks', I prefer that with the explanation of 'extremists that no one can really take seriously' (2 bucks because they aren't worth much) (written this way in order to rhyme) - then we can guess based on any number of things who she's really referring to.
Well, that's my two cents. [idiomatic expression meaning 'that's my opinion' with an offhanded acknowledgment that I'm just one of many with no authority in this situation and thus my opinion may not be worth much.];) (and no I'm not going to explain offhanded)
:D
Mylène probably spent only 2 seconds: "I want an opposite with Délit... well well... Docile! not bad!
Really! Hmm...what might sound clever and at the same time rhym? Aha!
Though the original posters will probably never see this: Thanks again aFrenchie for the invaluable cultural and lingual perspective.:D

Roman
01-27-2007, 06:58 AM
That's cool as a way of explanation. Thanks. That makes me think of the bozos who fly a Confederate flag and actually still talk about seceding from the Union. (I don't know if that ever actually happens anymore, but I think I've heard of it happening.) I mean come on people, the Civil War ended like a hundred fifty years ago and everyone knows we're all happier being one country now. I'd just tell them, 'oh, SHUT UP!' (I need the smilely with the annoyed eye roll)

Edcognito
02-09-2007, 05:56 AM
That's cool as a way of explanation. Thanks. That makes me think of the bozos who fly a Confederate flag and actually still talk about seceding from the Union. (I don't know if that ever actually happens anymore, but I think I've heard of it happening.) I mean come on people, the Civil War ended like a hundred fifty years ago and everyone knows we're all happier being one country now. I'd just tell them, 'oh, SHUT UP!' (I need the smilely with the annoyed eye roll)

Unfortunately, people do say that stuff (seceding from the union) :blink:

Of course, that has NOTHING to do with Lili! I love AFrenchie's translations - and i'm sorry if i missed it, but what does "L'E-mail a des ailes" translate as, i'm having no luck with any online translator lately (my computer at home is refusing to acknowledge the internet!).

Ed

aFrenchie
02-09-2007, 08:40 AM
what does "L'E-mail a des ailes" translate as
"The e-mail has wings"

badog7
02-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey all,:)
referring to some of Mylenes lyrics, I wanted to say that, as a sometime writer of lyrics myself, it is so easy to overead it and your function as the writer is to be as ambiguous, fun/serious -depending on the context of the song/poem and make metaphors/alliterations etc however and whenever possible.
So the reference to "Docile<> delit" should be read in context- Mylene is saying it may be a puerile thing to do in the (shadow) of bombes- world wide terrorism- to be taking an indulgent bubble bath and making a lil list of things that annoy --123...no matter how good she looks;) , but that is what JBG are doing here- making "le terror" much more stupid than the (serious) sheer joy :) of imagining Alizee in her bath havin a frisson(!) with her "lil fish"..(heheh..>> ooh lala:wub: ) and no> it wasnt "sismiques" . Did the earth move for you guys?" lol! ! (iT DID FOR ME FIRST TIME i SAW ALIZEES 'ELF DANCE' :eek: WOOHOO!) BUT! there was (y un hic!?):confused: Meaning? Getting there is tricky-oui! just ask my gf! Even funnier! :D
As to 'Des extremistes a deux balles" line, well that simply means '2 bit' radicals like marxist (un idee fixe!) students- they never have any buck$!! :( and they start riots..1968 et al that..hence "leading me on hypocrtically"- Mylene wants to turn things upside down (first line of Toc de Mac) but not violently- she prefers to do it through the medium of a beautiful young star ;) and not be a hypocrite negativing everything else..!but having read alot of Ms Gautier i think there may be a 'cruditee" reference to MCPs there AUSSI! :cool: Mr Honourable may be adroit! haha. J'en ris!:blink:
Oui, j'suis australien! Owyagoin m8?
Ca Va? Ca plus!
La premier poste!
badog7 aka Chienoirsept- not everything noir est mal!
Vive ALIZEE!

Roman
02-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Hey all, referring to some of Mylenes lyrics ...
As to " line, well that simply means '2 bit' radicals like marxist (un idee fixe!)
As for all of your post, yes, I don't think anyone disagrees. By the way, thank you, I forgot about the phrase '2 bit'. That says it perfectly and translates quite well also.
A guy at work said he didn't need the translation for this song. Oh yes, not entirely necessary, but when you get the picture of her having the "frisson" you mention in a bubble bath, well, I told him it does make a difference. It really makes a difference, oh yeahhhhh:D