PDA

View Full Version : How expensive is it to live in Paris?

Tye
06-28-2007, 12:52 AM
What is the average income required to live in Paris? I want to kind of have an idea how much money to save up so I can get off to a good start when I move there. Also, what are some good jobs for new comers to the city?

fsquared
06-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Dunno, but Western Europe as a whole is pretty darned expensive by American standards these days.

espire
06-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Tye, I have dreams of moving to France too, but you're taking this stuff up pretty quickly, don't you think? :p

Regardless, living in Paris is extremely expensive. Not as expensive as London, for sure, but you'd be better off living somewhere like Nice. Plus, you can see Corsica from its coast! :D

Alizee_is_Scottish!
06-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Speaking for my home city, a lot of people who are working in Europe for a while are staying in 'backpackers hostels'. (I'm presuming Paris / France has them too?) They are cheap and cheerful and loads of people in the same boat as you, so they know where there are jobs and you can look after each other to a certain extent.

They have their draw backs such as no privacy / noisy and lack of space, but I've worked with loads of people who have used them in Edinburgh. Allows you to find your feet in a city / find a job and so on before you look for something better if you want.

Sounds exciting, I'm jealous!

A quick Google lists loads of hostels: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22hostel%22%22paris%22

Joey_adore_Jung
06-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Honestly it can be a very expensive place to live or a very cheap place.
1) a nice house with a shower, and all those other necessities or you can have a mansion whatever, your choice- can cost a lot
2) if you live say on the streets without the hygiene necessities it won't cost a thing and you wan't have to pay taxes. though you'll probably be the most unattractive person there.

Shinmei
06-28-2007, 02:49 AM
£ has more value than $

Tye
06-28-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks, for the info, Alizee_is_Scottish!

Tye, I have dreams of moving to France too, but you're taking this stuff up pretty quickly, don't you think? :p

Regardless, living in Paris is extremely expensive. Not as expensive as London, for sure, but you'd be better off living somewhere like Nice. Plus, you can see Corsica from its coast! :D

I know I am asking lots of questions, but this is my reason:

Now this may sound weird, but roll with me on this. I can't explain why I love Paris so much. I have never even been there (as far as I know) but something about that city just captivates me. Even when I was little. I have always felt out of place in America, its like I was born in the wrong country. My parents used to tell me how I used to think I was adopted when I was little (I know I wasn't adopted as I have seen my birth certificate) I mean even as a little kid I felt like I didn't belong to the life I was born.I even have strange memories that don't seem to fit anywhere in my life. I don't believe in reincarnation, but it feels like I am split between two lives. And whats even weirder is that I have always felt like I am an older brother to someone I just don't know who. Who knows mabey I have a twin in Paris that I am supposed to meet. They say twins have connections that can affect them when they are seperated. I don't know if you have ever heard someone say this or have experienced it, but have you ever felt that you had to do something so bad that nothing else mattered. There is a reason why I need to be in Paris. I don't know if I am going meet my long lost twin or the person I am supposed to spend the rest of my life with. I just feel like a part of me is missing. I just don't know, but right now all I know is that Paris is where I need to be.

Shinmei
06-28-2007, 02:59 AM
If your'e planning on getting some £ to start out with, bring lots of $ because £ has 25% more value.

And good luck getting to Paris. I want to live in Europe too, I just don't know exactly where, just as long as it's Europe.

espire
06-28-2007, 03:18 AM
Shinmei, you're thinking of Euros, which is €. Regardless, it's not that simple. Things also cost more € in Paris than they cost in $ here, and there are lots more intricacies of the differences between the economies.

Tye, I know exactly how you feel. My feelings are quite similar to yours, though not to the same extent. I do, however, want to do some backpacking around Europe (mostly France), once I finish high school. I also think something like "wouldn't it be great if I lived in Paris?" a lot.

marik
06-28-2007, 03:23 AM
If your'e planning on getting some £ to start out with, bring lots of $ because £ has 25% more value.

And good luck getting to Paris. I want to live in Europe too, I just don't know exactly where, just as long as it's Europe.

me too! just in Europe! but im only 14 without a guts!:(

heyamigo
06-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Now this may sound weird, but roll with me on this. I can't explain why I love Paris so much. I have never even been there (as far as I know) but something about that city just captivates me. Even when I was little. I have always felt out of place in America, its like I was born in the wrong country. My parents used to tell me how I used to think I was adopted when I was little (I know I wasn't adopted as I have seen my birth certificate) I mean even as a little kid I felt like I didn't belong to the life I was born.I even have strange memories that don't seem to fit anywhere in my life. I don't believe in reincarnation, but it feels like I am split between two lives. And whats even weirder is that I have always felt like I am an older brother to someone I just don't know who. Who knows mabey I have a twin in Paris that I am supposed to meet. They say twins have connections that can affect them when they are seperated. I don't know if you have ever heard someone say this or have experienced it, but have you ever felt that you had to do something so bad that nothing else mattered. There is a reason why I need to be in Paris. I don't know if I am going meet my long lost twin or the person I am supposed to spend the rest of my life with. I just feel like a part of me is missing. I just don't know, but right now all I know is that Paris is where I need to be.

i've heard similar stories of people yearning to go live in a far away place and later somehow found out that in their past lives, they were a person that lived in that country and therefore have a special connection. i don't know too much on the process of finding out about past lives, but it's very intriguing and i myself am somewhat of a believer in "reincarnation." i know of a story of this one particular american caucasian harvard graduate who felt a yearning to go live in korea for some reason and his path led him to become a buddhist monk there. there, he found out that in his past life, he was a korean who was an activist fighting for korean independence. anyways, i think if you are interested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out buddhist texts or talk to a monk; who knows? :blink:

Unknown
06-28-2007, 05:29 AM
living in France is so cool! but i dont have enough money to go there!
(so sad Slifer!)

panzerkiller
06-28-2007, 05:41 AM
What is the average income required to live in Paris? I want to kind of have an idea how much money to save up so I can get off to a good start when I move there. Also, what are some good jobs for new comers to the city?
well,until the new president starts to cut income taxes,you can expect about 50% of what you made that year to go straight to income tax,poor Alizee,I wonder how she makes it living like that:(

panzerkiller
06-28-2007, 05:47 AM
are you sure its 25%? my dad went to germany and gave the bank $100 and he got $85 back but he's in the military,so maybe they took some off

marik
06-28-2007, 06:59 AM
for me its hard to go in Europe! cause im just a kid!
when i finshed my studies! ill save some money and prepare to go in any part of Europe!:)

so be prepare to see all of you in any part of Europe!:eek::blink::D

maybe someday all of us will see each other because of Alizée right?:p

Uméesha
06-28-2007, 07:06 AM
for me its hard to go in Europe! cause im just a kid!
when i finshed my studies! ill save some money and prepare to go in any part of Europe!:)

so be prepare to see all of you in any part of Europe!:eek::blink::D

maybe someday all of us will see each other because of Alizée right?:p

May be marik, all of them will be having a dream to go to european country... since it's a good tourist spot around the world... so great buildings, idols, wonders, beautiful scenary etc amazing... i would like to visits that country, all the places... i wont miss any of the opportunity..

i have a chance to go to european country through the influence of my company and i am gonna stay for 1 month and going to see alizee:wub: in paris, might be:D ..... if luck is in my side....

marik
06-28-2007, 07:09 AM
May be marik, all of them will be having a dream to go to european country... since it's a good tourist spot around the world... so great buildings, idols, wonders, beautiful scenary etc amazing... i would like to visits that country, all the places... i wont miss any of the opportunity..

i have a chance to go to european country through the influence of my company and i am gonna stay for 1 month and going to see alizee:wub: in paris, might be:D ..... if luck is in my side....

yeah Umesh good luck!
:):D hehehehehehehehheh

Rocket
06-28-2007, 08:14 AM
We're still planning our trip to Paris next year :D

Drake498
06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
yeah, y dont you go to visit first and see if you feel that same way, you probably will, but perhaps you wont, who knows? I AM adopted and have shared similar feelings, i've given consideration about living in Paris or at least just France, however cost is always a factor... regardless, i've fallen in love with paris, but my roots still take me to NY, and thats where i'll reside... maybe that'll change in the future tho? huh who knows? life is full of adventure, so go and check out Paris and evaluate if you really can afford to live there and make a nice living with your wife and kids if you have any, Good Luck man ;)

RMJ
06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Cheapest studio apartments (~25 square meters, if even that) starts from 500 to 600 euros a month. Good studio apartment starting from 900 euros a month, I'd say (what is "good" for me, might not be for you, tho, I'd be more than happy even in those small ones...).

Upper limit for price doesn't exist.

Bigger (2 or more rooms), I don't even know how much they would be...

In restaurant you can get meal at 25 euros, with tap water. From kebab/pizza place you can get food at 5 euros (depends a lot what kinda place it is). Food prices in stores are prolly around same as in any big city I guess. At least what little I have bought has been affordable. And I have not even cooked there (so I haven't tried the basic food, just some ready made stuff, bread, cheese, wine, juices, yogurts, etc.)...

Transportation is affordable (montly metro card isn't too expensive).

Living outside Paris (like the 10 million other Parisians), cuts the living cost some what. Tho transportation will be more expensive then, since only the City of Paris (14km in diameter) is inside zone 1 metro/RER system. So either more expensive metro card, or car is needed. But practically, the near by suburbs are so close to Paris center that you wouldn't even know you'd be living outside Paris.

Buying apartment from Paris is not only expensive, but it's also very, very hard. Since there's way too few apartments available.

Of course there will be other expenses, too, but those to give some rought idea... and well, I haven't been living there myself yet...

espire
06-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Though living outside of that circular highway that encircles Paris makes the Metro more expensive, it wouldn't really be of concern, as Paris' metro is pretty much the cheapest around. It's something like €10 for ten ticket thingies, if I'm not out of date.

Tye
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
i've heard similar stories of people yearning to go live in a far away place and later somehow found out that in their past lives, they were a person that lived in that country and therefore have a special connection. i don't know too much on the process of finding out about past lives, but it's very intriguing and i myself am somewhat of a believer in "reincarnation." i know of a story of this one particular american caucasian harvard graduate who felt a yearning to go live in korea for some reason and his path led him to become a buddhist monk there. there, he found out that in his past life, he was a korean who was an activist fighting for korean independence. anyways, i think if you are interested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out buddhist texts or talk to a monk; who knows? :blink:

Who knows maybe I was a 17th century aristocrat? It would explain a lot.

RMJ
06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Though living outside of that circular highway that encircles Paris makes the Metro more expensive, it wouldn't really be of concern, as Paris' metro is pretty much the cheapest around. It's something like €10 for ten ticket thingies, if I'm not out of date.

Carnet is 12 euros if I remember right (one ticket is 1.40 euros).

But you'll be broke in no time if you are gonna use that kinda tickets and live in Paris... I managed to use two carnets on my last 5 day trip... (and even so, I walked miles a day :blink: )

Of course you buy monthly metro pass, which gives you unlimited travels during one month.

espire
06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, touring Paris is different from Living there. You don't usually use 4 a day, and even if so, it's lots cheaper there than in other places. The Washington subway costs 2 bucks US a pop. The Toronto subway is $2.50 Canadian, which is a bit more, and the transport system is much less developed than in Paris.

But yes, the monthly pass would be quite cheap. My guess is that many people rely on this to get around, as cars in large cities are a bad idea.

Jess
06-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I know I am asking lots of questions, but this is my reason:

Not weird at all Tye, as I too have had this feeling since I can remember. I have always felt out of place here in the USA, and for whatever reason I have always felt a need to go to Europe. Without revealing to much details of my personal life, I will say that I don't know where my real parents are from. It would be great to find out that I have relatives in Europe......... ;)

Le Parrain
06-28-2007, 06:09 PM
if i ever decided i wanted to leave this americanish lifestyle, first place i would want to move is Paris.
Seems unfortunate since i have such a low paying part-time job and im lazy as a mofo.

Rev
06-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I can't explain why I love Paris so much. I have never even been there (as far as I know) but something about that city just captivates me. Even when I was little. I have always felt out of place in America, its like I was born in the wrong country.

I don't believe in reincarnation, but it feels like I am split between two lives. And whats even weirder is that I have always felt like I am an older brother to someone I just don't know who.

I don't know if you have ever heard someone say this or have experienced it, but have you ever felt that you had to do something so bad that nothing else mattered. There is a reason why I need to be in Paris. I don't know if I am going meet my long lost twin or the person I am supposed to spend the rest of my life with. I just feel like a part of me is missing. I just don't know, but right now all I know is that Paris is where I need to be.

You might want to check out a movie titled "Being Human" (Robin Williams was in it). Or possibly, after that one, another movie (also with Robin Williams) titled "What Dreams May Come."

Based on what you said, I think you will find them interesting. :)

Fusoya
06-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Nice is a really pretty place, I've been there with my family in the year 2000.
By then I was just 10years old and I did not know anything about france actually.
But really....I didnt know Corsica was that near Nice :s
I have been so close :p
Btw...I must say...I really would like to live in France for some time when I read this haha

espire
06-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Nice is on the south-east coast of France, on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea.

Fusoya
06-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah , I realized that now.
Had to check a map on wikipedia.
This really makes me a bit upset :p

Tye
06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Not weird at all Tye, as I too have had this feeling since I can remember. I have always felt out of place here in the USA, and for whatever reason I have always felt a need to go to Europe. Without revealing to much details of my personal life, I will say that I don't know where my real parents are from. It would be great to find out that I have relatives in Europe......... ;)

My mom's side of the family mainly began in Switzerland. (Which is cool because it is next to France and I am feeling a strong pull to France.) That can't be coincidence. All my family knows about the original bloodline in Switzerland is that they were rebels against the government and fiecre fighters. The family split off and dispersed to different parts of Europe and a few ended up in America. This is how my mom's side of the family got to America. Some of the original bloodline is still in Switzerland, but the American part of my mom's side of the family have not had contact with them in hundred's of years. Switzerland is right next to France, maybe the reason why I feel such a strong pull towards France is because my bloodline started in Switzerland, and I still have relations there. This is getting interesting.:)

Bigdan
06-30-2007, 02:21 PM
if your really gonna live in Paris, you have to take a "carte Orange", a 1 month ticket for Metro and Buses. ( it's 55 Euros, now)

For the food, it depends of what you eat ! French food has generally a very good quality.
For an exemple of price, a "baguette" (you know what it is, don't you?) is now 1 Euros ( in Paris. 0,70 euros in South of France).

You can eat in a fast restaurant ( french sandwiches, not Macdonald) for 8 to 10 E. And eat in a good restaurant for 15 to 25 euros.

But i think that you must foresee to have more money to invit a french young and famous singer in a famous restaurant on the Champs Elysees..
;)

Deepwaters
06-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks for those prices, Dan; let me do some quick conversions here and comparisons with the Bay Area.

if your really gonna live in Paris, you have to take a "carte Orange", a 1 month ticket for Metro and Buses. ( it's 55 Euros, now)

€ 55 = $74.36; by comparison, a monthly transit pass in the South Bay costs $60.00 and I'm almost sure the Paris version is better.

a "baguette" (you know what it is, don't you?) is now 1 Euros ( in Paris. 0,70 euros in South of France).

Yes, I know what a baguette is. :)

€ 1 = $1.36; by comparison, a baguette here runs about $3. Cheaper in Paris, which is not surprising.

You can eat in a fast restaurant ( french sandwiches, not Macdonald) for 8 to 10 E. And eat in a good restaurant for 15 to 25 euros.

€ 9 (splitting the difference) = $12.17; a decent fast-food place with a good sandwich will usually run about $7-8 here, so that's up a bit. € 20 = $27.03. The last time I ate in a really nice restaurant, I spent about $35, but I can see dining quite well for under $30 so that's really comparable.

I suspect it's housing that would really put on the bite, but that's true in any big city where people want to live.

But i think that you must foresee to have more money to invit a french young and famous singer in a famous restaurant on the Champs Elysees..
;)

Well, being a gourmet cook, I'd just invite her over to my place. :)

bt_bird_90
06-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for those prices, Dan; let me do some quick conversions here and comparisons with the Bay Area.

My sister took a trip up there recently and I finally know what you people mean :)

Deepwaters
06-30-2007, 06:18 PM
My sister took a trip up there recently and I finally know what you people mean :)

Simple enough:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/briandrush/sfkeymap.gif

The Bay Area circles San Francisco Bay. There are three main cities, San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose, plus many smaller towns. It's not a single big city with suburbs like Los Angeles (or Paris).

Fusoya
06-30-2007, 09:36 PM
From what I understand its cheaper in France than Norway at least.
In Norway a baguette would cost about 2€ at least ,or almost up to 3€ I guess.

bt_bird_90
06-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Simple enough:

The Bay Area circles San Francisco Bay. There are three main cities, San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose, plus many smaller towns. It's not a single big city with suburbs like Los Angeles (or Paris).

Yeah, I get it now, I just never pictured 'Frisco with suburbs. And it's just been wierd to me that people I've met from around there can intoduce themselves from "The Bay Area" and somehow other bay-area-ians catch on.

Deepwaters
06-30-2007, 11:12 PM
It's pretty much the standard term, Bird. Unless you live in San Francisco or Berkeley. Then you'll say you're from San Francisco (or maybe "The City"), or from Berkeley (or "Berserkeley"). Otherwise, it's TBA.

espire
07-01-2007, 01:14 AM
I wonder if a lot of demons hang out at the Mt. Diablo Park :p