PDA

View Full Version : Mylène Farmer album?

Terry
07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I was first introduced to Alizee thru utube and this site. I have her three offerings and love the videos you guys provide. I've never really been introduced to any of the Mylène Farmer material and might be interested in sampling an album/cd. Anyway, I looked on Amazon and can see quite a listing. There is the "Les Mots" offering there for around $25. What do you think about buying a "best of" selection of songs?

What I really would like would be the new Alizee album.......

Terry

B_M_E
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
'Les Mots' is Mylene's greatest hits album. If you are interested in other Mylene albums then I recommend:

- L'autre ... the best Mylene album IMO
- Anamorphosee
- Avant que l'ombre
and
- Innamoramento

and of course we all want the new Alizée album ^^

Bigdan
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I think its a good choice. "Les mots" can show you all the aspects of the Mylene Farmer univers. But you must know that's it's really different than what she and Laurent ( her composer) did for Alizee. It's more adult and dark in some ways. And I must say also that without her music videos ,you miss 50% of the experience...

heyamigo
07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
yes, i would first get the les mots, the 2 CD set. there is a "best of" les mots, which is 1 CD and a collectors edition 3 CD les mots, but i think the 2 CD set is fine to start with containing her most important hits. after that, if you don't want to buy a lot of albums, i would maybe go with her most recent avant que l'ombre live album because this album contains some of her older hits in addition to the aqlo songs. 96 live a bercy album would also be a nice addition as well since it also contains songs from multiple albums. if you want some of her older studio albums (not really necessary in the beginning if you get the les mots compilation), i would recommend l'autre (her best studio album, imo) and then ainsi soit je to start with. also, i'd stay away from her remix albums, they're not very good. but most of all, i recommend you to watch her live concert DVDs and music videos because that's how i got hooked on her.

ps. you can search for her concert and music videos on youtube and dailymotion. there's plenty out there.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
J'ai rêvé qu'on pouvait s'aimer
au souffle du vent ;)

Yes, buy "Les Mots"

Terry
07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess for a first time look, I'll go with the compilation. I know that even with my favorite artists, there have always been 'some' deadspots on the album I didn't really like. I'm sure that probably is true here. Actually, in reference to Alizee, I bought her second album first and liked it immensely and then bought her first one. I initially thought that one was a bit weaker, though I have warmed up to more of the material as I listen to it. My wife printed out the translations for me, but I prefer the French much better. I thought some of the songs were a bit fluffy (hmmm - what an absurd critique, but you know what I mean, I hope) once I knew what they meant. Some of those songs hold up very well for me in music and vocals, but fail in message. Anyway, I digress...

Terry

As you can tell, I don't speak French, but I did stay in Paris for a week once in 1973. It was August and most of the inhabitants seemed to have gone on vacation. And hot! It was a scorcher... Also, They still had the old metro and street bathrooms.

fsquared
07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess for a first time look, I'll go with the compilation. I know that even with my favorite artists, there have always been 'some' deadspots on the album I didn't really like. I'm sure that probably is true here. Actually, in reference to Alizee, I bought her second album first and liked it immensely and then bought her first one. I initially thought that one was a bit weaker, though I have warmed up to more of the material as I listen to it. My wife printed out the translations for me, but I prefer the French much better. I thought some of the songs were a bit fluffy (hmmm - what an absurd critique, but you know what I mean, I hope) once I knew what they meant. Some of those songs hold up very well for me in music and vocals, but fail in message. Anyway, I digress...

Terry

As you can tell, I don't speak French, but I did stay in Paris for a week once in 1973. It was August and most of the inhabitants seemed to have gone on vacation. And hot! It was a scorcher... Also, They still had the old metro and street bathrooms.

I got Les Mots too, and the (1994) 2-CD remix album. I agree that this remix album isn't all that hot (generic 90's club remixes in my opinion). One interesting impression was that I thought Les Mots was a fresh perspective on the evolution of electronic music over the last 20 years as well.

I'm not at all an expert on Mylene lyrics but they're often very intricate (including lots of allusions and wordplay) and so they often suffer in translation. The commentaries at mf-international.com seem to be overall quite enlightening.