PDA

View Full Version : Another Alizee

crissa
07-26-2007, 10:48 PM
<a href="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=91873894">Alizee</a>

Are you freaking kidding me?!

Zack -Alizee Lover-
07-26-2007, 11:07 PM
So? What's the problem for her to use the name "Alizee".
Nurvo do ur job.

Señor Villa
07-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Alizée or Alizee' is a name that can't be copyrighted .

espire
07-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Well, regardless of the name, she's awful. Just getting implants, wearing low-cut clothing, and "singing" rap, does not make somebody talented. Our Lili is far better looking and better sounding, and she's 100% authentic :p.

Killian
07-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Go to iTunes and search Alizée, there's more than her.

Roman
07-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Please, let us not talk about or bring up such people here. All I can say is that it is unfortunate that she has the same name. Taking such a name is just in bad taste because she ruins it. People all over the world, please don't dilute the special feeling we have by using the name elsewhere.

OGRE
07-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Alizée or Alizee' is a name that can't be copyrighted .

Actually, the rights to a name in the entertainment industry CAN be established in an exclusive manner. I don't think they call it copyright, but there is a legal mechanism to protect the rights of a singer or group's name.

In fact, I've often wondered who has the rights to Alizée. Just because it's YOUR name doesn't establish your right to use it in the industry.

IANAL.

fsquared
07-26-2007, 11:54 PM
OGRE,
That reminds me tangentially of the situation about 10 years ago where Garth Brooks wanted to like get exclusive right to the lowercase "g" in a particular (and very common) font that he was using as his logo. I don't remember what happened, but it seemed a little audacious to me.... :)

espire
07-27-2007, 12:00 AM
OGRE, I'd say that there are limits, but it's possible to have the 'right' to use your name in the industry. An interesting first name such as Alizée can of course be used. However, the question is whether somebody else named Alizée can suddenly come in and start using that name. This other one is ALIZEE' or something like that, not Alizée, so that's of course okay. But what if I name my daughter Alizée, and she has singing talent?

I doubt she would be allowed to be Alizée. She'd have to be Alizée <my last name>, or something else like that. Maybe Lili Zée or something weird like that :p.

thats amazazazing
07-27-2007, 12:36 PM
OGRE, I'd say that there are limits, but it's possible to have the 'right' to use your name in the industry. An interesting first name such as Alizée can of course be used. However, the question is whether somebody else named Alizée can suddenly come in and start using that name. This other one is ALIZEE' or something like that, not Alizée, so that's of course okay. But what if I name my daughter Alizée, and she has singing talent?

I doubt she would be allowed to be Alizée. She'd have to be Alizée <my last name>, or something else like that. Maybe Lili Zée or something weird like that :p.

No. ~

lefty12357
07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Most people WANT a distinctive name in the music business and would not want to use someone else's. They want to develop their own following and identity.

I 'd bet this 'other' Alizee probably never heard of our Alizée.

Alizee_is_Scottish!
07-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm suprised it has been allowed. I think actors are not allowed the same name, even if they are both called that name from childhood. Presume it's the same for singers.

I do think it has been a marketing ploy though, they knew this Alizee was going to come up on the millions of searches for THE ALIZÉÉ. Dropping the accent (right word?) looks like the work of a lawyer.

The law is open to interpretation though, McDonald's tried to copyright their name, but spookily as it has been in use for hundreds of years they were told to, erm go away. (The golden arches are copyrighted / trade mark though).....I think.

Killian
07-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I just realised this "girl" doesn't have a wikipedia page, so I don't know anything about her. I mean, for all I know, her real name may be Alizee and one of her parents may be French. But, if not, I think it would be funny if she was taken to court by Lili's recording label. But, then again, that would make Lili come across as a diva. So maybe live and let live applies here.

Cooney
07-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Alizée has never been published or produced in the USA. Even if there were laws against sharing a name, I'm not sure the US would enforce anything against ALIZEE' for it, being as there is no perception of direct competition.

The rules for actors not having the same name isn't a law at all, it's just SAG union regulations. There aren't any rules for singers, beyond what can be codified in trademark law.

panzerkiller
07-27-2007, 10:34 PM
leave it to louisiana,that "Alizee" is the kind of music the regular american listens to,along with gangster rappers like 50 cent.old school rap "70's-80's" is good though.but if this "singer" thinks she can compete with the real alizee,she's beyond crazy

Roman
07-27-2007, 10:36 PM

I doubt she would be allowed to be Alizée. She'd have to be Alizée <MY name last>, or something else like that. Maybe Lili Zée or something weird like that :p.
I think it is called Trademark. Microsoft Corporation has the right to use Windows and will prevent anyone else from using it. Obviously the word and in computerdom the concept called a window is used in various ways and is common, but you can't call your product anything like Windows. There was a Linux version called Lindows. They axed that! If Alizée had enough money and the desire to trademark and defend her name, she might be able to do it. Of course, if someone just says that their name is Alizée, what are you going to do? I am sure I could call myself Windows Smith or whatever and refer to myself as such, but probably couldn't brand anything having to do with computers with that name and certainly couldn't get any website windows.whatever without being sued up the wazoo by Microsoft.
Cooney has a good point in any case.