PDA

View Full Version : Alizee/Madonna - La Isla Bonita

JCC
08-08-2007, 02:31 AM
I thought this was an interesting video....Who sings La Isla Bonita better? Alizee or Madonna? Of course, we're gonna be biased here and say Alizee....but Madonnna isn't too bad, either.. What do you guyz think?

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DCTwdykDE4w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

Uméesha
08-08-2007, 03:04 AM
JCC good thread, you have compared Madonna and alizee... both of them sung that song very well, but as far as it concerned to choose any one of them, i would like to choose Alizée for it... the reason why am choosen alizee is for her sweet and lovely voice! great!

but JCC you would have been added a Poll for this thread, that would have been nice.. but anyway... I will vote for Alizee for ever!

Killian
08-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I have listened to both versions, and well, to be frank, I didn't like Madonna's version at all. It could be the fact that I don't really like Madonna, but I just thought it was bland. If I'm not mistaken the original lacked the acoustic guitar solos that Alizée's had. The Spanish guitar added a whole new level to the song I think, that Madonna's was missing.

Plus I did not enjoy he singing in Madonna's, again I don't like her voce, but I loved Lili's...

Although it is a very biased opinion I feel that Lili surpassed Madonna in that song, and made a much better version.

Slightly off topic story: When I was in Costa Rica, we got a taxi to do an ATV tour. The driver turned on the radio, saying somehting about a station European's like. After a song or two, the opening of La Isla Bonita played. I nearly yelped in excitement. Obviously, there was two crucial things I forgot in that moment, Alizée (as far as I know) never released anything in Costa Rica, and it was a Madonna song. When Madonna started singing I felt like a moron, and also died a little inside :(

Deepwaters
08-08-2007, 01:15 PM
WHOOOO!! Nice video!!

Well, being a big fan of both those singers -- I honestly can't choose between them. I might agree with Killian about the musical accompaniment, but that's more or less irrelevant to the pure question of who sings the song better.

This song is Madonna near her best, clear, strong, passionate, soulful. Alizée doesn't put quite as much passion into it as Madonna, but her voice is even stronger and there's more playfulness in her performance, which makes up for it. She is probably the only singer in the world, other than Madonna herself, who could do this song justice. It's a slightly different interpretation, but very, very good.

My absolute favorite Madonna song of all time is Like a Prayer, and what Alizée did with LIB makes me seriously want to hear her cover that, too. I'm not going to say she's better than Madonna singing Madonna's own music, but she's as good. And that really should be tribute enough. I wouldn't say it about anyone else. :wub:

nurvonic
08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
well, the original version is 20 years old, so it still has that 80's feel to it. unlike Alizee's version, where you get an updated 2003 version, so of course its going to sound alot better. but oh well, my biased meter has kicked in and im going to have to say Alizee.

Jess
08-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I thought this was an interesting video....Who sings La Isla Bonita better? Alizee or Madonna? Of course, we're gonna be biased here and say Alizee....but Madonnna isn't too bad, either.. What do you guyz think?

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DCTwdykDE4w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

Not even close...... Alizée by far. ;) No offense to anyone. ;)

brad
08-08-2007, 06:32 PM
first of all, like nearly everyone my age .. I was in love with Madonna back in the day. I even really liked this song before I ever heard Alizée sing it.

That said, Alizée's version is 10000000 times better. However, I do think Madonna could imitate Alizée's performance pretty closely if she wanted to.

But as they stand now, Lili hands down.

Deepwaters
08-08-2007, 09:37 PM
LOL you guys are so loyal. :D

I doubt she would agree with you, though. (Either she -- Madonna goes without saying, but I think Alizée would probably disagree, too.) ;)

JCC
08-08-2007, 09:38 PM
but JCC you would have been added a Poll for this thread, that would have been nice.. but anyway... I will vote for Alizee for ever!

I was in too much of a hurry to add a poll to this thread....was getting ready for work when i posted....feel free to re-post it if you wish :)

Uméesha
08-09-2007, 02:27 AM
That said, Alizée's version is 10000000 times better. However, I do think Madonna could imitate Alizée's performance pretty closely if she wanted to.

yes brad, this is because Alizee is fan of madonna...

Killian
08-09-2007, 06:24 AM
LOL you guys are so loyal. :D

I doubt she would agree with you, though. (Either she -- Madonna goes without saying, but I think Alizée would probably disagree, too.) ;)

Yeah... but everyone likes their ego rubbed once and awhile.

Plus, Alizée is (alot) easier on the eyes than Madonna, which adds to the much improved version when videos are taken into account.

fsquared
08-10-2007, 01:12 AM
You know, I didn't really like the video all that much; I think at least partially because the two performances are in different keys, so it's kind of jarring.

The vocal processing effects seem rather different; probably different effects were in vogue in 1987. Madonna's voice seems a bit shrill in comparison. Probably Alizee's has been "chorused" more heavily.

So, I still never dug up any more covers from that Madonna tribute concert besides the two of Natasha St. Pier (not even the identities of the coverers). heyamigo dug up the complete song list from a vidcap, so they might be out there somewhere...

Tye
08-10-2007, 01:50 AM
I like Lili's. I like Lili's voice alot more than Madonna's, and Lili is extremely beautiful in her performance of La Isla Bonita. Her eyes are unbelievably stunning in that performance.

rcs
08-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Madonna had a great song. Alizee has the great voice. Yes, this video was the one that drew me in with those eyes and Lili's lips as she carefully pronounces each word. Alizee all the way...:rolleyes:

Matrix
08-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I voted for Mad-donna. Madonna has an extraordinary voice let's face it and she sings that song particulary well. I'm not the only one who likes the voice of Madonna... Alizee likes it as well, so much that she recorded the song La Isla Bonita

When Alizee sings La Isla Bonita it sounds magnificent but I give the edge to Madonna on this one

Uméesha
08-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I voted for Mad-donna. Madonna has an extraordinary voice let's face it and she sings that song particulary well. I'm not the only one who likes the voice of Madonna... Alizee likes it as well, so much that she recorded the song La Isla Bonita

When Alizee sings La Isla Bonita it sounds magnificent but I give the edge to Madonna on this one

you are right matrix i accept your comment, since alizee is fan of madonna and she likes her voice and recorded a song La Isla bonita, so the question is....... according to this songs who sings well? so you have voted for madonna.... do u think alizee sung little bit lesser than Madonna?