PDA

View Full Version : Proof that Blizzard stole night elf dance from Alizee

Matrix
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Blizzard released World of Warcraft in 2004, november

This video was released in 2003 or earlier! Why doesn't Alizee seek royalties from Blizzard Entertainment? Ten million people play that game, world of warcraft

Why doesn't Team Alizee seek royalties from Blizzard?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sCayBoFlpkg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sCayBoFlpkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Tye
08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Because Lili did not put a claim on that dance. The dance was free for anyone to use. She should have got a copyright put on it.

Fusoya
08-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Maybe blizzard informed her before using the dance?
If not, whats the problem with using it ? :)
Because of the dance in wow I actually discovered Alizée!
And I know a lot of others who have as well.

Tye
08-13-2007, 09:43 PM
The dance has helped a lot of people discover Lili. I didn't discover her this way, but the person who posted her picture for me to discover may have found out about her this way. There are more than 8 million WOW players. That is a lot of potential fans.:)

Matrix
08-14-2007, 10:28 AM
It could be argued in a court of law that Alizee helped Blizzard Entertainment become financially successful even more than they already were soley because of that night elf dance

That night elf dance helped launch World of Warcraft, that dance was there at launch. Therefore Team Alizee could be entitled to the profits of World of Warcraft since the first day of launch

Sure the dance is not copyrighted but it can be argued in a court of law that the popularity of World of Warcraft is due to the night elf dance performed by Alizee before the game went LIVE

:eek:

Tye
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Lili has a family now. The time she would spend in court and arguing the case would waste time she could spend with her family. You can't argu that case. The night elf didn't sell WOW. The fan base that was already built up from the first 3 Warcraft RTS games sold those games. They played them told their friends and so on and so on. Did Blizzard copy the dance? Yes, but that doesn't mean they can sue Blizzard. If there is no copyright on it then the dance is a free for all. Plus, the dance would have to be a named and recognized dance to the public at large (not just Lili fans) for it to be considered and actual dance like the Tango is. There just isn't a strong enough case. I am glad Blizzard did what they did, because the number of people that have been introduced to Lili through that game is pretty high. A lot of American fans found out about her, because they play that game. Blizzard has a huge American fanbase, and becuase of that lots of Americans that might never have found out about Lili did found out about her.

Chommpers
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I have to agree with Tye. Her dance in no way sold that game it was just a little easter egg for those that would get it. Just paying a little credit to something they like and decided to put in their game. There are many other dances in the game too, even one by the famous Michael Jackson. Point is none of these dances in the game sold the games. People are not going to pay for a game monthly because a character can do a part in a dance of any of the famous people it copied. They are not making money on these dances and to take Blizzard to court over it would seem silly to me. Not trying to sound nasty or anything Matrix, so please don't take it that way.

Cooney
08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
She's in Starcraft 2 now as well, or at least she's in the early demo version they used at a recent convention. She appears, doing the "fish" part of the JEAM dance, in a tiny projection above one of the buildings.

As others have said, it's an easter egg, not a sales point. There are no royalties to be had, and obvious copy or not, it can't be proven that one came from the other. Besides, I personally think Alizée would be more flattered than miffed about it.

Tye
08-20-2007, 04:07 PM
She's in Starcraft 2 now as well, or at least she's in the early demo version they used at a recent convention. She appears, doing the "fish" part of the JEAM dance, in a tiny projection above one of the buildings.

As others have said, it's an easter egg, not a sales point. There are no royalties to be had, and obvious copy or not, it can't be proven that one came from the other. Besides, I personally think Alizée would be more flattered than miffed about it.

This is wonderful! This is Blizzard's way of saying "Lili, you are great, and we like you". I am glad that they put her in another one of their games. It means they like her:)

lead2gold
08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Who was the Alizée's record company? Polydor Records

What is Polydor Records a part of? Universal Music

What is Universal Music a part of? The Vivendi megacorporation

Now take a guess at which company owns Blizzard?

Yup, thats correct. Its Vivendi.

EDIT: My bad, its Vivendi, not Viacom.

Tye
08-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Who was the Alizée's record company? Polydor Records

What is Polydor Records a part of? Universal Music

What is Universal Music a part of? The Vivendi megacorporation

Now take a guess at which company owns Blizzard?

Yup, thats correct. Its Vivendi.

EDIT: My bad, its Vivendi, not Viacom.

Lili's record company is no longer Polydor. Why would they be promoting Lili in a new game? Is it to give a little nod since they were at one time her record company?

lead2gold
08-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Lili's record company is no longer Polydor. Why would they be promoting Lili in a new game? Is it to give a little nod since they were at one time her record company?

When WoW was made, they were her record company. All the "new" little dances and emotes in the Starcraft II holograph things are just recycled WoW animations. Or so I've heard.

Chommpers
08-20-2007, 05:08 PM
This is wonderful! This is Blizzard's way of saying "Lili, you are great, and we like you". I am glad that they put her in another one of their games. It means they like her:)

That's how I have always seen it and I would guess thats why it's in Starcraft II. I don't think they would add it just because they were a part of the record company because that would just be annoying to code into the game just for that reason.

lead2gold
08-20-2007, 05:27 PM
That's how I have always seen it and I would guess thats why it's in Starcraft II. I don't think they would add it just because they were a part of the record company because that would just be annoying to code into the game just for that reason.

No I agree, someone at Blizzard is definitely a fan. (Or was at one time.) But I was just explaining to show that from a legal standpoint, they are both owned by the same company.

Ioku
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Someone at blizzard is a huge fan probably one of the animation directors
If you look closely at Starcraft 2 trailer you can see a girl danacing similar to Alizee on top of one of the buildings.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
08-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Someone at blizzard is a huge fan probably one of the animation directors
If you look closely at Starcraft 2 trailer you can see a girl danacing similar to Alizee on top of one of the buildings.

And if you read previous posts you will see Cooney already said that.

deadxohead
08-21-2007, 07:14 PM
yea so did I

Stumpy298
12-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Maybe blizzard informed her before using the dance?
If not, whats the problem with using it ? :)

Haha, me too! and im very glad i did.

ajaccio corsica
12-06-2007, 05:29 PM
hi
some ppl saw her dancing and said "wow, wow, wowiiiiiiiiiiie" and then they discovered the game
cheers

SilentFox
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
hi
some ppl saw her dancing and said "wow, wow, wowiiiiiiiiiiie" and then they discovered the game
cheers

Well alot of WoW player's do wonder what type of dance that is...well i did at the time and thats how i found Lili!!!!!

Youpidou1
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Sadly I discovered Alizée by that stupid game. I wish I could have discovered her some other way maybe a friend or I could have just strolled onto a video. But after seeing her video...1 week later I quit that dumb game canceled my account and stopped paying for it. And I still listen to Alizée. I lost time but I gained a fantastic singer.

SilentFox
12-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I feel your pain there Youpidou..thats how i found her to.....but i also quit it but not as fast as you did though!

Youpidou1
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I feel your pain there Youpidou..thats how i found her to.....but i also quit it but not as fast as you did though!

Not going to speak my problems but I kind of thought that people would look at someone different if they actually paid for a game. 15 dollars a month I could save plus countless hours lost there. I know people who still play but I drag them away from the computer to do other things.

SilentFox
12-06-2007, 07:11 PM
I fully understand you there...but if it was not for the countless hours i played WoW i would have never heard of Lili...so really i am kinda glad i did!

Youpidou1
12-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I fully understand you there...but if it was not for the countless hours i played WoW i would have never heard of Lili...so really i am kinda glad i did!

You sir have a point. I am greatful for one to have found Lili PERIOD. Sometimes I think good comes from that game. I learned to talk better because there are many sophisticated people playing. And I learned that anger toward a video game is wrong

espire
12-06-2007, 11:13 PM
There's Intellectual Property...

and there's Intellectual GROOVE Property.

There are special fair use laws for the second (but only I know them).