PDA

View Full Version : Parler tout bas

brad
08-13-2006, 07:39 PM
I am going to be uploading the Parler tout bas music video soon, and was thinking about putting english subtitles on it. I would like to get aFrenchie's and everyone elses opinion on the following translation by The Honorable

I think there is a lot we can improve on this one, read over the original thread (http://www.mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=1940) to see some of the other discussions

Parler tout bas - Speak softly

Les jours de pluie
Mes jouets sont vivants
Les grands ont des griffes
Comme des bouts de ciment
Comment leur dire
Quand on a que seize ans
Le lit qu'on défait, n'a plus
Le goût du zan

On rainy days
my toys are alive
The bigger ones have claws
like little cement bits (1)
How to tell them
when one's not even sixteen
that the bed one defaces, no longer tastes of "zan" (2)

A quoi bon
Les vies chiffons
Les mots d'amour
Qui sont trop courts,
Moi, j' rêve en grand
Comme l'éléphant
Je rêve immense

What's the point of
these old, living rags,
these words of love
that are much too short
I dream big,
as big as an elephant;
so immense are my dreams

Ventre rond
Les yeux profonds
Mon ours dit à quoi bon ?
Son amitié
C'est dur à dire
Dure toute la vie
Alors lui ...

Gentle womb
Profound eyes
My teddy bear says, "What's the use?"
His friendship,
it's hard to say
if it will last a lifetime
So...

Parler tout bas
Trouver les mots qu'il faut
Parler de tout, parler de moi
Pour trouver le repos
Ses bras : la douceur
Il a un cœur à l'intérieur
C'est l'objet de mon cœur
C'est pour lui
Mon poème
Au Monde Inanimé

Speak softly to him
Find the necessary words
Speak about everything, speak about me
To find rest (in)
His arms: sweetness
He has a heart inside
that is the target of my own heart
It's for him
this poem of mine
in an Inanimate World

Les jours de pluie
Mes jouets sont vivants
Les grands ont des rires
Qui vous giflent
En passant

On rainy days
my toys are alive
The bigger ones have smirks (3)
that slap you
while passing by

A quoi bon
L'amour qui fond
Moi j'ai un compagnon
Je voudrais dire
Pas pour de rire
Même si c'est con ...
Je l'aime, lui

What's the point (of this)
love that melts away
I have a friend
I would like to say,
but not for you to laugh, (that)
even if it's stupid...
I love him,...

Parler tout bas
Trouver les mots qu'il faut
Parler de tout, parler de moi
Pour trouver le repos
Ses bras : la douceur
Il a un cœur à l'intérieur
C'est l'objet de mon cœur
C'est pour lui
Mon poème
Au Monde Inanimé

Speak softly to him
Find the necessary words
Speak about everything, speak about me
To find rest (in)
His arms: sweetness
He has a heart inside
that is the target of my own heart
It's for him
this poem of mine
in an Inanimate World

(1) This is a strange line, no doubt. I suppose one can only take it literally for what it is.
(2) According to my dictionary and to everyone I asked, "zan" is not a word that exists in the French vocabulary. Now, I've looked for derivatives in other languages, and the only thing I can find is a reference to some dead tongue derived from Indian or Arabic ("wtf" was my reaction, too...hehe). One alternative is that Mylene is being clever with the language (not exactly a leap of faith...she does it all the time) and is emphasizing a liason; that is, instead of "des ans" she writes "du zan." That is one possibility. Another is she is saying "zan" when she means "sang," as in "blood." Finally, there is the possibility that this is something that will only make sense in that little twisted head of hers (I lean towards this one! Razz). If anyone has any suggestions, please throw them out there.
(3) As Greg commented to me, "les grandes" could be not only a reference to the large bears, but also to adults. In other words, she is expressing the dichotomy and inherent tensions between a child and an adult; the adults "slap her" (metaphorically) by shooting down her dreams (of love, etc.).

--Translation by The Honorable

aFrenchie
08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
The Honorable is probably fluent in English or at least way better than me (I don't know where he's from) so for some parts, he may also be better than me to translate even if his French is not as good as a native. It's easier to translate in your own language than doing the opposite.
I see some little mistakes here though. I'll give more details soon.

He's not helped that well apparently, at least by French people (he says he asked to some people), because the (2) point is obvious. Zan (in "le goût du zan") is a candy brand:
http://sucreries.free.fr/images/zan.gif
Also obvious (I mean he should have no doubt) is the pun with "le goût du sang" = "taste of blood"

More later.

riva2model64
08-14-2006, 12:41 AM
this song is pretty deep

seems kinda sad too, like the stuffed toys that have claws
and defaced bed among cement bits, the taste of blood

if they made a video of this song, it might be a little frightening

brad
08-14-2006, 12:46 AM
this song is pretty deep

seems kinda sad too, like the stuffed toys that have claws
and defaced bed among cement bits, the taste of blood

if they made a video of this song, it might be a little frightening

there is a video, and it is kinda weird .. i will upload it soon

Spartan500
08-14-2006, 12:50 AM
dude they did dvtq posted it awhile back I won't tell you whats in it cause it's a little creepy at least to me but yeah ask dvtq I think it's on his website

edit: didn't feel like spamming this thread so yeah i forgot dvtq is running out space but it's all good since brads gonna put it up soon

riva2model64
08-14-2006, 01:06 AM
that would be great brad

and ye spartan dvtq has it on his site, but could not access because dvtq's running out of bandwidth

aditya8617
08-14-2006, 07:23 AM
I have seen the video and it isn't scary but kind of sad maybe, I was more focused on Alizee as she looks quite cute in that video.

aFrenchie
08-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Globally, Honorable translation is good. But once again, it's often done word for word. A real adaptation would be better if they wanted to create an English version for Alizée to sing. Meaning something from scratch with different images, puns, etc.

1st verse:
Quand on a que seize ans
is not
[The Honorable] when one's not even sixteen
but
when one's only sixteen

1st verse:
Le lit qu'on défait
[TH] the bed one defaces
defaces?? Sound strange...
Hard for me to explain since I have no clue about this expression in English! I need some help here:
According to my dictionary, the opposite "Le lit qu'on fait" (note: no "dé-") seems to be the same in English: "the bed that one makes". Let's see if it's ok, do you say for example: "each morning, i make my bed"?
Now it's the opposite: "Le lit qu'on défait". Literally, "défaire" in French means "undo" or "unmake". Now how do you say it when you "reopen" and "undo" your bed each evening so you can go under the sheets and sleep?
And to add to your pain, note that it may also mean that you remove all sheets and covers of the bed to replace them!

Probably none of words above fit? Maybe something like "unpack" would be ok?
Anyway let's say you use "unpack", the whole phrase would be then: "The bed one unpacks" (or maybe "The bed you unpack"?)
Phew... now your turn to suffer with this, Brad :D. At least, I thought TH's "defaces" was just wrong. NOW don't tell me that it's how you say it! :D

2nd verse:
Qui sont trop courts,
[TH] that are much too short
Don't know why he added "much". Just remove it.

2nd verse:
Moi, j' rêve en grand
Comme l'éléphant
[TH] I dream big,
[TH] as big as an elephant;

Meaning (French line): I dream big, as big as an elephant does
I'm not sure it's the same sense without "does" (I ask you actually). For me, that would sound in English that I dream of something that is as big as an elephant :D
Am I right or are you giggling right now?

Chorus:
Parler tout bas
[TH] Speak softly to him
Why "to him"?? Or is it better in English, according to what follows in next lines...
Also I would use "Speaking softly"

5th verse:
Pas pour de rire
[TH] but not for you to laugh, (that)

"Pas pour de rire" (literally something like "not to laugh about") is a way -a little childish- to say that it's serious, it's for real. You might change TH's phrase...

Notes:
(1) I agree with him. It doesn't make much sense in French too.
(2) already explained in another post above. Just leave the candy name, "Zan". You may add: "(French candy)" on your line
(3) he's right about "les grands". Probably right for the interpretation too.

Now good luck Brad :)

aditya8617
08-14-2006, 08:55 AM
:eek: what a big essay aFrenchie!

But neverthless thanks for the info.

brad
08-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Globally, Honorable translation is good. But once again, it's often done word for word. A real adaptation would be better if they wanted to create an English version for Alizée to sing. Meaning something from scratch with different images, puns, etc.

1st verse:
Quand on a que seize ans
is not
[The Honorable] when one's not even sixteen
but
when one's only sixteen

1st verse:
Le lit qu'on défait
[TH] the bed one defaces
Hard for me to explain since I have no clue about this expression in English! I need some help here:
According to my dictionary, the opposite "Le lit qu'on fait" (note: no "dé-") seems to be the same in English: "the bed that one makes". Let's see if it's ok, do you say for example: "each morning, i make my bed"?
Now it's the opposite: "Le lit qu'on défait". Literally, "défaire" in French means "undo" or "unmake". Now how do you say it when you "reopen" and "undo" your bed each evening so you can go under the sheets and sleep?
And to add to your pain, note that it may also mean that you remove all sheets and covers of the bed to replace them!

Anyway let's say you use "unpack", the whole phrase would be then: "The bed one unpacks" (or maybe "The bed you unpack"?)
Phew... now your turn to suffer with this, Brad :D. At least, I thought TH's "defaces" was just wrong. NOW don't tell me that it's how you say it! :D

2nd verse:
Qui sont trop courts,
[TH] that are much too short
Don't know why he added "much". Just remove it.

2nd verse:
Moi, j' rêve en grand
Comme l'éléphant
[TH] I dream big,

I'm not sure it's the same sense without "does" (I ask you actually). For me, that would sound in English that I dream of something that is as big as an elephant :D
Am I right or are you giggling right now?

Chorus:
Parler tout bas
[TH] Speak softly to him
Why "to him"?? Or is it better in English, according to what follows in next lines...
Also I would use "Speaking softly"

5th verse:
Pas pour de rire
[TH] but not for you to laugh, (that)

"Pas pour de rire" (literally something like "not to laugh about") is a way -a little childish- to say that it's serious, it's for real. You might change TH's phrase...

Notes:
(1) I agree with him. It doesn't make much sense in French too.
(2) already explained in another post above. Just leave the candy name, "Zan". You may add: "(French candy)" on your line
(3) he's right about "les grands". Probably right for the interpretation too.

Now good luck Brad

awesome frenchie ... this is perfect :)

thanks!

brad
08-14-2006, 09:07 AM
oh .. and to answer your questions. in english we do say 'make my bed in the morning'

if you wanted to say the opposite .. most people would say .. 'turn down the bed in the evening' ... now that I look at that, it doesnt make sense, but that is what people say.

about the elephant stuff .. if you say 'dream as big as an elephant' .. to me that would mean you have really big dreams. where if you would say 'dream as big as an elephant does' .. that somehow assumes elephants have really big dreams themselves .. lol

prolly not a big issue, either one would work.

aFrenchie
08-14-2006, 09:18 AM
where if you would say 'dream as big as an elephant does' .. that somehow assumes elephants have really big dreams themselves .. lol
That's the original meaning though! :) Actually, it implies both... (her dreams are as big as theirs)

brad
08-14-2006, 09:28 AM
i can't tell you how awesome it is to get some real 'French' guidance on these translations .. :D

thanks man

riva2model64
08-14-2006, 10:37 AM
yes, thanks aFrenchie.
your clarifications and translations are always apprecieated!!
thanks for clarification about the the candy and the blood.

the literal meaning of deface means to mutilate, make ugly, destroy, mar
it would seem wierd to deface a bed, so you are probably right aFrenchie, may it is
"unpack the bed" or as Brad says it "turn down the bed"

i didn't know that elephants dream big
maybe the elephants in the zoos dream big because they
are depressed- they long for the freedom that the plains offer them

do you guys feel sorry for the zoo animals?

we have parakeets, and we have a cage, but we don't cage them.
they are free to fly about the house. and each night, they return to their cage at their choosing

dvtq
08-14-2006, 10:55 AM
thank frenchie, how awesome are you :D , all that translate are good

HibyPrime
08-15-2006, 12:45 PM
the subtitles in the song translate 'je l'aime lui' into 'so'

doesn't 'je l'aime lui' mean 'i like him' or 'i love him'?

brad
08-15-2006, 01:06 PM

yes .. you are right. there are a lot of mistakes i made on this, i need to re-upload the video again. i had old subtitles and it seems part of them are from that one, and part are from the new one.

i am going to try and fix it tonight.

aFrenchie
08-15-2006, 01:11 PM

You're right.
"Je l'aime" (note the "l'") = "I love him" or "I love her", depends on the rest (you can't say "j'aime lui" ou "j'aime elle" by the way)
"Je l'aime, lui": "lui" added is a way to emphasise, like saying "him and noone else"

I know this emphasis doesn't exist in English (or does it?).
Another example: "Moi, je m'appelle Lolita", "moi" only accentuates that she's talking about her. Weird eh? :)

HibyPrime
08-15-2006, 01:27 PM
You're right.
"Je l'aime" (note the "l'") = "I love him" or "I love her", depends on the rest (you can't say "j'aime lui" ou "j'aime elle" by the way)

so... any idea why it was translated into "so.." in the video? i would guess it was a typo, but I could be wrong..

"Je l'aime, lui": "lui" added is a way to emphasise, like saying "him and noone else"

I know this emphasis doesn't exist in English (or does it?).

there is something close to that, but not exactly that in english

example:

"I love you"
vs.
"I love you, frenchie"

you would use the persons name, rather than saying 'him' or 'her.'

RadioactiveMan
08-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Another example: "Moi, je m'appelle Lolita", "moi" only accentuates that she's talking about her. Weird eh? :)

In English, you could say "Me, my name is..." but it's not a very popular way of speaking.

brad
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
so... any idea why it was translated into "so.." in the video? i would guess it was a typo, but I could be wrong..

you can blame that on someone who doesn't speak any french, trying to translate a french song ... (and by someone, i mean me)

DJ_Greg
08-15-2006, 02:23 PM
In English, you could say "Me, my name is..." but it's not a very popular way of speaking.

Nor is it grammatically correct. :p

Spartan500
08-15-2006, 02:46 PM
well it sounds right with a pause between me snd my like if she is answering a question and doesn't know who the asker is talking to

RadioactiveMan
08-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Nor is it grammatically correct. :p
Isn't it? I always thought that it was.

DJ_Greg
08-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Isn't it? I always thought that it was.

You know...now I'm not sure. I know it's frowned upon, but I can't find anything on the web about it (either way). I'll have to ask one of my English-major colleagues tonight.

brad
08-15-2006, 05:16 PM
frenchie:

Moi, j' rêve en grand

is she saying ...

I dream big (like she has large dreams, really good dreams)

or

I dream of being big (like she dreams of being an adult one day)

this might not even be 100% clear in french, but i will go with what you think :)

aFrenchie
08-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Actually she sings: "Je rêve en grand" which literally is "I dream in big" but I'm pretty sure that it means nothing in English. If it does, then use it! Unless it's not the same: another example in French, you can also say "voir les choses en grand", literally "see things in big". A good trick to get it in English I think: add a word like format, dimension. "I dream/see things in big format", in big dimension, etc...
It's exactly the idea even though this notion is not implied! :)

Now that I re-read it:
Moi, j' rêve en grand
Comme l'éléphant
Je rêve immense

"Comme l'éléphant" goes with the 3rd line above and not the 1st.
I already said that it means that "just like the elephant (does), she dreams immense"

aFrenchie
08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Note that the notion of big format is a metaphor though -> things are immense in her dreams.

brad
08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
OK .. thanks, that answers it perfectly.

I have fixed a bunch of stuff and I am compressing this video again.

brad
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Note that the notion of big format is a metaphor though -> things are immense in her dreams.

yeah .. i guess i have it framed in my head a certain way, like it seems to make a lot of sense to me for her to be saying 'i dream of growing up' or 'dream of being big' (a kid would say something like that) .. 'dream of being big' (like an adult)

but it seems to me this is not what it really is. she is saying she has wonderful / big dreams, right?

aFrenchie
08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
but it seems to me this is not what it really is. she is saying she has wonderful / big dreams, right?
Exactly!

Technical note: I couldn't enter "Exactly" alone. vBulletin told me my message is too short! :eek:

brad
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
thanks .. i look forward to doing more of these .. lol

HibyPrime
08-15-2006, 09:23 PM
lol brad you are about to hate me :(

she only says 'je l'aime, lui" at the end of the second verse, and you changed 'alors lui' at the end of the first verse to 'i love him.'

google tells me it means 'then him,' but I seriously doubt that is what it means.. it probally means something like 'so you'

frenchie, save us. I have not learned enough french to translate this yet!

brad
08-15-2006, 10:46 PM
she only says 'je l'aime, lui" at the end of the second verse, and you changed 'alors lui' at the end of the first verse to 'i love him.'

nooooooooo, you are right .. i do hate you .... lol

it kills me cause i did the same thing at the beginning already, had to re-compress it again (before i uploaded it last time) cause i left it saying 'larger ones' instead of 'grown-ups' at the beginning

riva2model64
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
nooooooooo, you are right .. i do hate you .... lol

it kills me cause i did the same thing at the beginning already, had to re-compress it again (before i uploaded it last time) cause i left it saying 'larger ones' instead of 'grown-ups' at the beginning

thank for you throubles

Urb4n
08-15-2006, 11:00 PM
I know I'm a big "stay on topic" troll, but I don't care what anyone says, the music video for this song is just plain creepy.

riva2model64
08-15-2006, 11:08 PM
ye, it may be but a little creepy
but as Alizée says
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/riva2/grizzly.jpg
Mon ours dit à quoi bon?

alas, Alizée is in it,
and she is oh-so-cute!!

Urb4n
08-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, Alizee is in it, thats cool. But when a giant creepy doll starts running around in the woods with her, I could care less. Not to mention there were like eight of them. Screw that. I'd be running like hell, or trying to find a big stick.

HibyPrime
08-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I know I'm a big "stay on topic" troll, but I don't care what anyone says, the music video for this song is just plain creepy.

are you kidding? I love this video, its by far my favourite..

she looks so damn cute in the bed with her pjs

Spartan500
08-15-2006, 11:23 PM
suse i'm with you urb4n the dolls are creepy ecspecailly when they are in the trees or when that one is holding her hand and running through the woods. hey not sound like a panzy ceramic dolls are freaken scary

riva2model64
08-15-2006, 11:28 PM
those ceramic dolls are pretty scary (ye i agree the part where the doll runs),

but the mere presence of Alizée in the video is enough to make it all pleasant

DJ_Greg
08-15-2006, 11:31 PM
There's something very "French" about that video. I don't know first-hand, but in conversation with people who do, I've been told that French art (music, movies, etc.) is generally "darker" than the American mainstream counterparts.

So we have this innocent-looking girl, rolling around in a bed, singing a pretty-sounding song...with all this creepy sh-t going on around her. You wouldn't find that in a Jessica Simpson video. It's too risky for Hollywood.

Urb4n
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
So we have this innocent-looking girl, rolling around in a bed, singing a pretty-sounding song...with all this creepy sh-t going on around her.

hehe, that about sums it up.

riva2model64
08-15-2006, 11:34 PM
yeah you're right Greg

it was designed to be like that,
and it's clear that this music video strikes up rather powerful emotions in people

now that's a quality music video

Spartan500
08-15-2006, 11:36 PM
yes it is gosh i hope this is long enough lol

HibyPrime
08-15-2006, 11:40 PM
and it's clear that this music video strikes up rather powerful emotions in people

lust, lust and more lust..

I ignore those dolls, when they come on the screen I yell "PUT ALIZEE BACK ON RIGHT NOW DAMN YOU!"

DJ_Greg
08-15-2006, 11:42 PM
It actually reminds me more of a Marilyn Manson video than an "American pop princess's" video. You have these images that people wouldn't normally expect to see juxtaposed.

Manson does it to make people question cultural norms, but I think the "message" of Parler tout bas is essentially more simple than that: it's about growing up. She buries the teddy bear she used to hug, so that she can be with (literally "hug") the man. Innocence, symbolized by the bear and the other toys, must be left in childhood so that she can enter adulthood.

Bob
08-16-2006, 02:30 AM
There's something very "French" about that video. I don't know first-hand, but in conversation with people who do, I've been told that French art (music, movies, etc.) is generally "darker" than the American mainstream counterparts.

So we have this innocent-looking girl, rolling around in a bed, singing a pretty-sounding song...with all this creepy sh-t going on around her. You wouldn't find that in a Jessica Simpson video. It's too risky for Hollywood.

lol so true it made me laugh =)

aFrenchie
08-16-2006, 07:48 AM
lol brad you are about to hate me :(

google tells me it means 'then him,' but I seriously doubt that is what it means.. it probally means something like 'so you'

frenchie, save us. I have not learned enough french to translate this yet!
This part is quite weird even in French...
"Alors" can have lots of meanings. "Then" is one of them, but here I'd rather think of "So": "So him...". Looks like an introduction before the chorus, like she's telling us: "Now, about him..." or "And him?" (or do you say "and he?"?). Could "then" be ok? Maybe, if you say something like that:"And then him...". Or do you never say this that way?!

HibyPrime
08-16-2006, 08:25 AM
This part is quite weird even in French...
"Alors" can have lots of meanings. "Then" is one of them, but here I'd rather think of "So": "So him...". Looks like an introduction before the chorus, like she's telling us: "Now, about him..." or "And him?" (or do you say "and he?"?). Could "then" be ok? Maybe, if you say something like that:"And then him...". Or do you never say this that way?!

Keeping in mind the next line is "speak softly/slowly," saying "and him/he" would not make sence. In this case, lui probably translates into "you."

So him speak softly
So you speak softly
And him speak softly
Then he speak softly
So he speak softly
And you speak softly
Then you speak softly

I'll leave it to you, frenchie, to tell us which one she is trying to say.

rcs
08-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Maybe it's just me, but some european music can have a dark side to it at times. I once lived in Germany and it always rained (or was cloudy). The weather sometimes dampened my mood. I learned to embrace the weather, music, and artists (not saying weather is associated with music, but this is a different culture). Alizee is definitely in contrast to the rest of this video. She brightens the mood of the vid. Interesting...but them dolls are spooky. I'm not so sure us americans could pull something like this off.

aFrenchie
08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Keeping in mind the next line is "speak softly/slowly," saying "and him/he" would not make sence. In this case, lui probably translates into "you."

So him speak softly
So you speak softly
And him speak softly
Then he speak softly
So he speak softly
And you speak softly
Then you speak softly

I'll leave it to you, frenchie, to tell us which one she is trying to say.
"Parler tout bas" definitly applies to her having to speak softly. It's infinitive mode in French by the way, which in English most often translates like "Speaking softly" (present participle)
I wouldn't link "Alors lui" with the 1st line of the chorus. It's like she's telling "now I'm gonna talk about him..." before the chorus. And again, even in French "Alors lui" doesn't make much sense here.

DJ_Greg
08-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Maybe it's just me, but some european music can have a dark side to it at times. I once lived in Germany and it always rained (or was cloudy). The weather sometimes dampened my mood. I learned to embrace the weather, music, and artists (not saying weather is associated with music, but this is a different culture). Alizee is definitely in contrast to the rest of this video. She brightens the mood of the vid. Interesting...but them dolls are spooky. I'm not so sure us americans could pull something like this off.

American artists could (and have), but not in the world of pop music. There's some really good American art being produced, but it'll never be mainstream. I think that might be the big difference between American and European entertainment: our mainstream is always "fluff," with everything else relegated to the shadows.

For example, a movie like Donnie Darko: great movie, very creepy, confusing plot elements. It's a "cult" classic because mainstream America wouldn't touch it.

Roman
05-25-2007, 02:58 AM
1st verse:
Le lit qu'on défait
[TH] the bed one defaces

Phew... now your turn to suffer with this, Brad . At least, I thought TH's "defaces" was just wrong. NOW don't tell me that it's how you say it!

Ok, so it just means "turn down the bed" or "turn down the sheets" in order to get into bed, yes? An internet search on the former shows it pretty much always referring to what a hotel does for one (part of "turn down service"). I would only have been able to think of "unmake", not that anyone ever says "I'm going to unmake my bed now". By the way, my internet research shows the Spanish phrase "hacer la descubierta" meaning "to turn down the bed".
I have some difficulting relating. Some people have a more formal relationship with their bedding than I ever have. I certainly understand "stripping the bed" – removing all the blankets and sheeting in order to put clean sheets on.
It's hard to put an appriate word or phrase since it is kind of ambiguous, which is of course because it is simply part of a metaphor and not really important in itself.
in context:
[Comment leur dire
Quand on a que seize ans
Le goût du zan]
[How to tell them
when one's only sixteen
that the bed one turns down
no longer tastes of Zan]
At least I think I understand the main idea here:
She's asking how she can explain to her toys (or to adults if you take the suggestions of the double meaning of Les grands) that she no longer relates to her surroundings like a child would. That seems like a rather sophisticated way of getting the idea across, but what the hey, it rhymes, right?
I don't really understand how that suggests 'tastes of blood', though (Le goût du sang). Other than the similarity of the sound of the word, how is there a connection of meaning?

2nd verse:
Moi, j' rêve en grand
Comme l'éléphant
[TH] I dream big,

I'm not sure it's the same sense without "does" (I ask you actually). For me, that would sound in English that I dream of something that is as big as an elephant
Am I right or are you giggling right now? That's what I thought. Literally, "like the elephant". Yes, aFrenchie is right (post 27) that it goes with the third line anyway. 'like the elephant, I dream immense'. Either way, you get the point.

Chorus:
Parler tout bas
[TH] Speak softly to him
Also I would use "Speaking softly" I thought that was to take care of the preceding line "alors lui" being rendered as "So...". Where did the "lui" go? (see next comment)
lol brad you are about to hate me she only says 'je l'aime, lui" at the end of the second verse, and you changed 'alors lui' at the end of the first verse to 'i love him.' google tells me it means 'then him,' but I seriously doubt that is what it means.. it probally means something like 'so you' frenchie, save us. I have not learned enough french to translate this yet! I hate to challenge aFrenchie, but couldn't that be exactly what it means? Check it out…
[Gentle womb (misinterpretation?)]
Belly round
Profound eyes (those two lines are describing her bear)
His friendship,
it's hard to say
Then he… (says? or just meaning that is what HE does?)

Speaking softly
To find the necessary words
To speak about everything, to speak about me
(Isn't a verb with the typical "er" also like an infinitive, which could also translate in this case to "to speak"?)
This way, the refrain "Speaking softly…" makes sense even after "Je l'aime, lui", the lui in which is just for a kind of emphasis according to post 18.

By the way, the video still has alors lui saying I love him. And, the video subtitles don't match what is in the side bar. :( I'm not complaining. It's great that Brad has done all that he has here.:) It's just a little messy. It would be nice to have a sticky of the translations with a concensus posted at the front and a link to that thread at the front of the video discussions. Even though we have people who speak both French and English commenting (Frenchie, Garçon), I end up piecing some of it together myself.

Also,
"Mon poème
Au Monde Inanimé"
Would this be better translated as "my poem of an inanimate world", meaning that is what it is about?

Obviously the dolls are supposed to be scary. They chase her! Ok, I don't think it's really supposed to be all THAT scary, though. It is obviously metaphorical and they are really more corralling her. They are forcing her to bury the bear it seems in the scene where they're in the tree. (though the one does help her run away)
This song is really interesting. I probably wouldn't get the meaning of some of it without seeing the video. Even now, I'm not completely certain. As a song, though, it is so bitter sweet. I get choked up every time I listen to it (well, maybe not every time anymore). It is very emotionally evocative. Everyone can relate, I think.
As far as comparing it to a music video from America, well yes, Alizée (and by proxy Mylène and Laurent) is astounding. Is it too risky for Hollywood? I think that's oversimpifying the situation. I think it's more like, no one over here thought of it or figured out how to make it work. It maybe wouldn't stand alone, but would need the rest of Alizée et al's performances. It may be a more French thing, but that doesn't mean it was obvious to the French, does it? Don't you think that it could largely just be that they are great artists and others would have a hard time coming up with such great material?

garçoncanadien
05-25-2007, 03:50 AM
Ok, so it just means "turn down the bed" or "turn down the sheets" in order to get into bed, yes? An internet search on the former shows it pretty much always referring to what a hotel does for one (part of "turn down service"). I would only have been able to think of "unmake", not that anyone ever says "I'm going to unmake my bed now". By the way, my internet research shows the Spanish phrase "hacer la descubierta" meaning "to turn down the bed".
I have some difficulting relating. Some people have a more formal relationship with their bedding than I ever have. I certainly understand "stripping the bed" – removing all the blankets and sheeting in order to put clean sheets on.
It's hard to put an appriate word or phrase since it is kind of ambiguous, which is of course because it is simply part of a metaphor and not really important in itself.
in context:
[Comment leur dire
Quand on a que seize ans
Le goût du zan]
[How to tell them
when one's only sixteen
that the bed one turns down
no longer tastes of Zan]
At least I think I understand the main idea here:
She's asking how she can explain to her toys (or to adults if you take the suggestions of the double meaning of Les grands) that she no longer relates to her surroundings like a child would. That seems like a rather sophisticated way of getting the idea across, but what the hey, it rhymes, right?
I don't really understand how that suggests 'tastes of blood', though (Le goût du sang). Other than the similarity of the sound of the word, how is there a connection of meaning?

just a pun as far as i can see :D zan/sang.

That's what I thought. Literally, "like the elephant". Yes, aFrenchie is right (post 27) that it goes with the third line anyway. 'like the elephant, I dream immense'. Either way, you get the point.

I thought that was to take care of the preceding line "alors lui" being rendered as "So...". Where did the "lui" go? (see next comment)

somebody scan the leaflet inside the CD box plz :D

I hate to challenge aFrenchie, but couldn't that be exactly what it means? Check it out…
[Gentle womb (misinterpretation?)]
Belly round
Profound eyes (those two lines are describing her bear)
His friendship,
it's hard to say
Then he… (says? or just meaning that is what HE does?)

ventre rond = round belly. gentle womb = a poetic interpretation of "round belly".

Speaking softly
To find the necessary words
To speak about everything, to speak about me
(Isn't a verb with the typical "er" also like an infinitive, which could also translate in this case to "to speak"?)
This way, the refrain "Speaking softly…" makes sense even after "Je l'aime, lui", the lui in which is just for a kind of emphasis according to post 18.

Strict translation? Speaking softly = parlANT tout bas. To speak softly = a more by the book translation of "parler tout bas" so you are right Roman :)

By the way, the video still has alors lui saying I love him. And, the video subtitles don't match what is in the side bar. :( I'm not complaining. It's great that Brad has done all that he has here.:) It's just a little messy. It would be nice to have a sticky of the translations with a concensus posted at the front and a link to that thread at the front of the video discussions. Even though we have people who speak both French and English commenting (Frenchie, Garçon), I end up piecing some of it together myself.

indeed thats why i'm making srt files for all the music videos.

Also,
"Mon poème
Au Monde Inanimé"
Would this be better translated as "my poem of an inanimate world", meaning that is what it is about?

that would require it to say "D'UN monde Inanimé". Sorry, "of an" is too stretching the hairs for me ;)

Obviously the dolls are supposed to be scary. They chase her! Ok, I don't think it's really supposed to be all THAT scary, though. It is obviously metaphorical and they are really more corralling her. They are forcing her to bury the bear it seems in the scene where they're in the tree. (though the one does help her run away)
This song is really interesting. I probably wouldn't get the meaning of some of it without seeing the video. Even now, I'm not completely certain. As a song, though, it is so bitter sweet. I get choked up every time I listen to it (well, maybe not every time anymore). It is very emotionally evocative. Everyone can relate, I think.
As far as comparing it to a music video from America, well yes, Alizée (and by proxy Mylène and Laurent) is astounding. Is it too risky for Hollywood? I think that's oversimpifying the situation. I think it's more like, no one over here thought of it or figured out how to make it work. It maybe wouldn't stand alone, but would need the rest of Alizée et al's performances. It may be a more French thing, but that doesn't mean it was obvious to the French, does it? Don't you think that it could largely just be that they are great artists and others would have a hard time coming up with such great material?

Well, lets just say its super difficult to have that much success in the music world. you need the right combination of politics and talent to become such a successful musical team.

Roman
05-25-2007, 05:28 AM
Chouette! Such a quick response!
...indeed thats why i'm making srt files for all the music videos... Alrighty then, and thank you for that!

that would require it to say "D'UN monde Inanimé". Sorry, "of an" is too stretching the hairs for me ;) Ok, something about that translation just didn't quite look right. I guess it is easy to get too involved with doing a translation and end up wanting things to look the way one wants them to, if you know what I mean.

Well, lets just say its super difficult to have that much success in the music world. you need the right combination of politics and talent to become such a successful musical team.
Uh. Ok. Well, I'm sure you're quite right about that.

lefty12357
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Here's a scan of the CD booklet:

http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=parlertoutbasvenivedividk0.jpg

Jess
05-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I first saw the Stars à Domicile - (June 6, 2001) at another website and then I saw the video here with The Honorable & aFrenchie translation, and I have to confess that my initial interpretation was totaly off and so much sader. Not knowing the language fluently, and seeing her cry before performing this song combined with the translation of the video. I interpreted the song to be a metaphor about child abuse, dum uh. When the song speaks of rainy days, I interpreted bad days. When she said my toys come alive I interpreted that she forgets about the moment by playing with her toys. When she speaks of the grown-ups, I interpreted adults. When she said how to tell them when your only sixteen, that the bed you turned down no longer taste of candy (my heart melted), I thought incest. When she said I dream big like an elephant, again I thought she's thinking of ways to forget about the moment. The teddy bear to me was a metaphor for someone who someday would rescue her from her conditions, like her knight and charming prince, and in the end when she burries the bear he appears making it a happy ending...... So thanks to everyone for clearing this out for me, and for Anthony's analysis. http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=1677

Edcognito
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
When she sang the bit about the "belly profound" - i totally got something different! I thought she was saying she was pregnant! :O

I thought that she (in the video) was starting a new chapter in her life, and being pregnant - she had to put away childish things.

I TOTALLY missed the inference back to the teddy bear, which makes the video more about the changes in life that come with growing up, not growing up AND pregnant!

I love the translations they've done, and I love the video!

The dolls don't really scare me, or seem weird to me - i got that part! She is surrounded by childish things (teddy bears, toys & dolls) and the dolls are a metaphor for the "trappings of childhood". As such, they follow her around, until, like the teddy bear, they are left behind....

Such a bittersweet song, that when i first saw it, and read the lyrics/translations, i didn't like it. Now though, its almost one of my favorites! :)

Again, thanks to all who put so much effort into the translation / subtitles!

Ed:cool:

CFHollister
09-02-2007, 02:15 AM
When she sang the bit about the "belly profound" - i totally got something different! I thought she was saying she was pregnant! :O

LOL! yeah, that would change things a bit:)

Cooney
09-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Thing is though, it's "Belly round, eyes profound" (Ventre rond / les yeux profonds) rather than "Belly profound" (Ventre profond).

Actually, I guess a round belly would give the same image if you miss she's talking about a teddy bear though...

Edcognito
09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Thing is though, it's "Belly round, eyes profound" (Ventre rond / les yeux profonds) rather than "Belly profound" (Ventre profond).

Actually, I guess a round belly would give the same image if you miss she's talking about a teddy bear though...

This is why i appreciate all the hard work (labor of love) that all the translators do for the rest of us uneducated cretins! :) I would TOTALLY have missed the direction of the video w/o your great translations. Did miss it actually! :o

Thanks much to everyone who does the translations!:D

Ed:cool: