PDA

View Full Version : Electricity and You!

SupaKrupa
08-20-2007, 07:24 AM
So... What seemed a normal day turned out to be pretty frustrating. I got off at my local train station with much anticipation after Mondayitis to a dark, dark city. My suburb, and several surrounding suburbs had no electricity for almost 2 hours! Traffic lights were out, cars were beeping horns loudly, people were walking the streets with torches and beeping their horns loudly too! I wouldn't go as far as to say it was chaos, but it's as much of chaos I've seen (but honestly, I exaggerate. A lot. We're civil down under.).

To be honest, I find it sad that I got frustrated over not having electricity for almost 2 hours. I thought to myself how people 200 years ago could have lived without it.

So... What's the longest you've been without it? How did it affect you? And do you think you could live a few days without? (Going camping isn't an answer)

isabella
08-20-2007, 08:12 AM
ehh..I think 1 or 2 hours:o :)
And no i can't live without i think.
no light, no TV, no computer, no coffee-machine (ok that's for me not a problem, but for my parents. when they couldn't drink coffee in the morning they are frustrated i think, and that's not that pretty, so it's my problem too:D )

OGRE
08-20-2007, 08:23 AM
To be honest, I find it sad that I got frustrated over not having electricity for almost 2 hours. I thought to myself how people 200 years ago could have lived without it.

Of course, those who lived 200 years ago might wonder how we can live without seeing the stars at night (no....I mean REALLY seeing the stars), breathing fresh air, finding organic food the exception (rather than the norm)..yada yada yada.

SupaKrupa
08-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Of course, those who lived 200 years ago might wonder how we can live without seeing the stars at night (no....I mean REALLY seeing the stars), breathing fresh air, finding organic food the exception (rather than the norm)..yada yada yada.

I made a bet with myself that someone would say something along those lines :p - I get to eat chocolate cake now :D

Fish
08-20-2007, 08:29 AM
The most without power was about 2 days-an ice storm knocked out power in 2 counties, and response was (as usual) slow.

I've been without internet for 5 days though-There was a problem with my phone line, and I use DSL. It happened on a Thursday, so no way they were coming out on the weekend, and they didn't get out until that Monday.

Made me realize how much I use the internet-those were some terribly boring days.

Killian
08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Uhhhh, I suppose about 5-6 hours, but we were informed in advance it was going to happen so it wasn't that bad. Light a few candles, play the guitar, it's pretty fun when it's goes out, in my opinion, because it's such a rarity.

Plus the traffic lights go out, so you're never late.

brad
08-20-2007, 08:40 AM
when i was like 10, we lost power for about 15 days after a really bad ice storm. it wasn't that bad for me then, i was happy we didn't have to go to school. Mainly played outside the whole time.

Besides, we didn't have the internet back then anyway, so I wasn't really missing much.

marik
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
oh yeah! elctricity is always needed guys! :) cant leave without the PC Alizée is spying among us :)

Deepwaters
08-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I've gone without electricity for weeks at a time while backpacking. In my normal life, though, never more than 4-5 hours.

Being older than most of you guys, I can remember a time before the Internet and even before personal computers. Dependence on electricity has grown as the world has become more wired and on-line, more interconnected. When I was a kid, losing power just meant you brought out the candles and either ate food you didn't have to cook or fired up the grill, and you read books instead of watching TV, and made your own music. Today, it means you're cut off from the world and it feels like half your brain goes to sleep. :blink:

Tye
08-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I've gone without electricity for weeks at a time while backpacking. In my normal life, though, never more than 4-5 hours.

Being older than most of you guys, I can remember a time before the Internet and even before personal computers. Dependence on electricity has grown as the world has become more wired and on-line, more interconnected. When I was a kid, losing power just meant you brought out the candles and either ate food you didn't have to cook or fired up the grill, and you read books instead of watching TV, and made your own music. Today, it means you're cut off from the world and it feels like half your brain goes to sleep. :blink:

When I have to go without the internet it feels like I am missing a part of myself, because I do so much on the internet. All of my major hobbies are in some way tied to the internet so when it is out I am left with reading books and that is about it.

atra201
08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
on Saturday the power was off from 7 am till 1 pm
god, no conditioning in the summer heat? and the humidity

Zack -Alizee Lover-
08-20-2007, 05:56 PM
when i was like 10, we lost power for about 15 days after a really bad ice storm. it wasn't that bad for me then, i was happy we didn't have to go to school. Mainly played outside the whole time.

Besides, we didn't have the internet back then anyway, so I wasn't really missing much.

Omg that was 200 years ago, right? :p

6 hours for me.