PDA

View Full Version : Is this computer worth it?

Ioku
08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
http://alienware.com/product_detail_pages/area-51_m9750/area-51m_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M9750&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Area-51 m9750

* Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors (4MB Cache, 667MHz FSB)
* Intel 945PM + ICH7M-DH Chipset
* Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
* 2 dedicated SO-DIMM slots for Dual Channel DDR2 Memory

Graphics & Video

* Single Graphics Card
512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX GDDR3
* Dual Graphics Cards
512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX GDDR3
NVIDIA nForce 100 with NVIDIA® SLI™ technology
* Connectivity
o Video in: Integrated TV Tuner (Coaxial) - Optional
o Video in: One S-Video in connector
o Video out: One VGA Connector
o Video out: One DVI-D Connector
o TV out: One S-Video out connector

Storage

* Easily-removable Slot Loading Hard Drives
* Single Hard Drive
o 5400 RPM - Up to 250GB SATA with NCQ
o 7200 RPM - Up to 200GB SATA with NCQ
* Dual Hard Drives in RAID 0
o 5400 RPM - Up to 500GB (2 x 250GB)
o 7200 RPM - Up to 400GB (2 X 200GB)
* Optical Drives
o 24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW
o 8x Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW
o 8x Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW w/ LightScribe Technology
o Dual Layer Blu-Ray/DVD±R/W/CD-RW Burner

But check out the other tech specs, is it worth it for $2,099 or so.

Hey I wish I knew more about computers so I could build my own. I plan on using the notebook for school, some computer games and rendering do you think this computer is worth it?

lohssanami
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey Ioku...I found a review of that notebook, and you should probably just check out as many reviews...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Area-51+m9750+reviews

...as you can to get a good opinion. The subjectivity in buying a notebook is hard to gauge, and only you will know if it has exactly what you are trying to get out of a purchase, that will hopefully last you more than a few years.

The following review (best to read whole thing)...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/alienware_area-51_m9750/

...talks alot about whether or not it is worth the price, and you may just have to add the extras you want to see if it is for you. It's not the Santa Rosa platform (800MHz bus), but it's still a nice notebook.

Also, you will have alot of people giving you opinions to buy (great notebook, etc...), and alot giving you opinions not to buy (overpriced, not 800FSB, etc...). You will tear your hair out going back and forth. The best thing is to read reviews on the web, both from magazines...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2159613,00.asp

...and from notebook forums...

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=201946

...and in the end, if you like the reviews and can afford to buy it, then do it.

I work in the IT industry, and I always see customers/friends/associates hemming and hawing about buying something new. In the end, as long as you're not getting a refurb or a lemon deal, then you don't have much to lose.

Note: This isn't a notebook that will allow long battery life and super mobile computing, but it is a heck of a system if you want to have a laptop you will use as both a desktop and a mobile system when needed. Get an extra battery if you ever plan on needing more than 1 hour of battery life.

Hope this helps, although you're probably saying, "...thanks for making this decision harder!" LOL.

Good Luck.

Ioku
08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
aww really it will only have 1 hour of battery life? Is that upgradeable? Thanks for listing so many reviews and getting back to me so fast.

lohssanami
08-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Here's a quote from the last review...

Despite the short battery life, the m9750 was not designed to be an ultra mobile notebook. The hour of battery life will allow simple tasks under emergency circumstances with no outlet to plug into.

If battery life is the most important aspect of your future notebook, then just buy a less expensive notebook that has 3+ hours battery life, and buy a desktop to have in your room for the gaming and rendering. The price should come out close to the same, and if you don't need gaming on the go, then you don't need a high powered gaming laptop.

Just make a guide for yourself and grade each one.

Battery life - on a scale of 10.
Internet browsing - on a scale of 10.
Gaming - on a scale of 10.
Video editing or rendering - on a scale of 10.
Document management (writing papers or other things) - on a scale of 10.
Laptop weight/size - on a scale of 10.

Example:

Battery Life: 10/10
Internet browsing: 9/10
Gaming: 5/10
Video: 6/10
Document management: 9/10
Weight/Size: 9/10

..then you should get a different laptop.

If it is...

Battery Life: 5/10
Internet browsing: 5/10
Gaming: 10/10
Video: 10/10
Document management: 4/10
Weight/Size: 5/10

...then get this one.

You also have to consider the weight, since you will be lugging this around in your backpack/computer bag. It is 8.5 pounds!!! Pretty heavy to carry around all day compared to a 4-6.5 pound alternative.

Hope this helps...

lohssanami
08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Or you can just throw all reason out the door, and get the 15 pound, 19" widescreen beast here.

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Aurora_mALX/aurora-m_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-ALX&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Crazy fun...

Zack -Alizee Lover-
08-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I personally think Alienware is just for games...

riva2model64
08-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Iohssanami already made some good points. if you're gonna have that laptop mostly plugged into the wall, it's a good choice. if you're going to be mobile with it and have it running off of battery often, get something else, like the Panasonic Toughbook. Price is kinda hefty, but if u can afford it, then get it.

The laptop has a DX9 card, and DX10 is going to be the new standard for games. I don't know when DX10 cards are going to be available for laptop. could be very soon or not so soon, if you're willing to wait.

Intel will also release a slightly updated line of processors in the next few months.

As you may know, Dell recently acquired Alienware, so u might want to check out their laptops too.

brad
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
in my opinion, if you want a gaming machine get a desktop.

and if you want a laptop, get a thinkpad. best laptops out there by far. and pretty cheap too.

riva2model64
08-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Brad makes a good point, if u have enough space for a desktop in your dorm room. if u want the most processing power, getting a new powerful desktop and a $100 laptop off of craigslist for writing reports and researching might be a good idea. You'll end up saving money that way, too.

if space is an issue and u want to pack the most power in the least space, there isn't that much out there other than your alienware choice.

lohssanami
08-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Brad and ...riva... are right on.

Approximate price for the 9750 with appropriate upgrades.

$2100-4000

Less expensive appropriate truly mobile notebook.

Easily less than $2000 and possibly under $1000 with everything you need.

Great gaming desktop and monitor.

Less than $1500.

I think we are all in agreement...lol.

marik
08-21-2007, 12:07 AM
that Laptop is awsome!

brad
08-21-2007, 12:15 AM
yeah you can get a really nice thinkpad for around $900

and you can get one really tricked out for 1200. now it isn't a 'gaming' machine, but definitely good for design work / modeling and etc.

espire
08-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Remember, when you pay for an Alienware you're paying for the Alienware name. If you need the power, I'd recommend instead getting something like a high-end Acer laptop of the like, which means the same parts for a better price. You could also go to your local small computer shop, and see what the guy can do for you. Remember that bargaining is always an option there.

Otherwise, I agree with everybody here. A "gaming" laptop is big and bulky, yet weak for the price. My friend has one, and it's the worst of both worlds, not the best. Why don't you either get a desktop, or a cheaper yet mobile laptop that will be able to play games for a good while? It won't be as long, but for the money you save you'll be able to replace it more often.

Buying a cheaper computer almost always tends to be a better deal. For one thing, low-end computers have less manufacturer markup than high-end ones. However, the real bonus is that you can replace it more often and then have extra computers that are still great for uses other than gaming or video editing.

Mmm... I await the day that I'll be able to recommend Macs to people like you, but I'll have to be content with my MacBook and my non-gamer self for now.

marik
08-21-2007, 07:37 AM
yeah cause Riva and Brad i think is a Computer good choicer! or Laptop Choiser! good in some points(most likely!) and good in choosing the quality of a PC parts so expect that Riva and Brad is giving you some good tips! for the Computer Stuff! Iouku! :)

lohssanami
08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
yeah cause Riva and Brad i think is a Computer good choicer! or Laptop Choiser! good in some points(most likely!) and good in choosing the quality of a PC parts so expect that Riva and Brad is giving you some good tips! for the Computer Stuff! Iouku! :)

Hey...what am I? Chopped Liver?:D

Ali
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
If you are going to spend that kinda of money you might as well get a desktop. With that kind of money you could get a PC with Quad Core and 8800 Ultras in SLI and whats more they are DX10 and you will be able to play upcoming games like Crysis, Gears of War, UT3 with everything in high, unlike the GO 7950 that comes in that Alienware which is only DX9. I personally have laptop with a GeForce GO 7600 that costs less than $900 and its similar to the Alienware m5550 except that its a lot cheaper and mines is 17" widescreen while that is 15.4" widescreen. I could play Doom 3 at High/Ultra quality at 1024 x 768 and it runs silky smooth, by the way.:)

Tye
08-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Are the Mac laptops good?

Ali
08-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Mac laptops are good, but they cost significantly more than a similar configured laptop that is Windows based. But you could always dual boot and have for example, OS X and XP/Vista on the MAC if you want both the MAC OS and Windows.

Ioku
08-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I think I am just going to go with a desktop and than a cheap notebook. Any ideas on what desktop I should get and where to buy it? I don't know any local computer stores here and I don't think I want to buy one from Frys or Best buy.

Ali
08-22-2007, 09:36 AM
How about this gaming computer?

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=119

You could get a Core 2 Duo E6550 processor, 8800 GTS, 18X Double Layer DVD Burner, 2 gigs and 160GB all for less than $1000.

riva2model64
08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
you could buy all your parts from newegg.com. they have an excellent reputation and excellent service.

u want dual-core, or quad core? well, they cost the same might as well go with the Q6600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017). If u want to save cash, get a dual-core processor like e6750.

for motherboard, the ASUS P5K (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131196) is a fine choice, and is compatible with Intel's upcoming Yorkfield processor because it's a P35 board. If u want to save cash, get the Biostar P35.

atleast 2gb dual-channel if u plan on using vista and playing future games.

the hitachi 7k/t7k hard drives are fast. . 320gb can be had for $70 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145129).

for video card, u'll want an 8800 GTS. . whether u should get the 320mb or 640mb version, depends on how high res u'll be playing at.

for power supply, don't get generic. buy from companies like Fortron, Akasa, PC Power & Cooling, etc.

case is subjective. get an ATX case that u think is pretty and that has good airflow.

a system equipped like the above should cost around $1000.

marik
09-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey...what am I? Chopped Liver?:D

ohh sorry i forgot you! no your not a Chopped liver! your good too in all of the reviews and tips!

:(