PDA

View Full Version : Mdr?

fsquared
10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi all! What does the French abbreviation "MDR" stand for?

RadioactiveMan
10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
It's the equivalent of 'lol.'

espire
10-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Mort de Rire, "Died of laughter"

RadioactiveMan
10-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Know-it-all.

Steven0022
10-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Know-it-all.

That a kid espire you get a gold star!!!

espire
10-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't want my nap :(

Cooney
10-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Back when aFrenchie was around, he posted a good collection of assorted French net abbreviations, of which mdr is a drop in the bucket :-P

An interesting thing with French internet slang is that it's very phonetic. While there are of course abbreviations, most of the time when one sees internet-speak, it's actually just in phonetics (kind of like use ur for you're, or sk8 for skate). My dictionary has a page dedicated to French phonetic netspeak :-P

Capn
10-03-2007, 08:14 AM
oh excuse us you have a fancy dictionary ;) lol I learn something new everyday

Sir Wood
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Back when aFrenchie was around, he posted a good collection of assorted French net abbreviations, of which mdr is a drop in the bucket :-P

An interesting thing with French internet slang is that it's very phonetic. While there are of course abbreviations, most of the time when one sees internet-speak, it's actually just in phonetics (kind of like use ur for you're, or sk8 for skate). My dictionary has a page dedicated to French phonetic netspeak :-P

zut... what's the name of your dictionary?

rwd716
10-03-2007, 11:25 PM
zut, lol. I remember a french "learn yourself" book I have says that means "darn it." But I'd prolly never say it cause I dunno how cheezy that really sounds to a Frenchie, lol. I'm trying to shoot for least embarassing when I speak French, lol.

Tye
10-04-2007, 04:05 PM

What dictionary do you have?

Sir Wood
10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
zut, lol. I remember a french "learn yourself" book I have says that means "darn it." But I'd prolly never say it cause I dunno how cheezy that really sounds to a Frenchie, lol. I'm trying to shoot for least embarassing when I speak French, lol.
I think it also means "shoot" or "blasted." Guess, we'll have to let a native francophone tell us if it is "cheezy." :D

RadioactiveMan
10-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I remember "zut" from my French textbooks, so it must be cheesy.