PDA

View Full Version : What the French think of Americans

theit77
10-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I just saw this video of Lara Fabian and Melissa Mars, obviously talking about Americans. I picked up a few words of the french, but not much more. Are they mocking us?, what are they saying? I wonder if that's the general feeling the French have of Americans.

<object codebase="http://go.divx.com/plugin/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab" height="400" width="720" classid="clsid:67DABFBF-D0AB-41fa-9C46-CC0F21721616"><param name="autoplay" value="false"><param name="src" value="http://video.stage6.com/1680159/.divx" /><param name="custommode" value="Stage6" /><param name="showpostplaybackad" value="false" /><embed type="video/divx" src="http://video.stage6.com/1680159/.divx" pluginspage="http://go.divx.com/plugin/download/" showpostplaybackad="false" custommode="Stage6" autoplay="false" height="400" width="720" /></object>

Cooney
10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm at work and can't see the vid, but I know Melissa Mars and Lara Fabian did a piece together called something along the lines of "American Men" which is a complaint about exactly that.

brad
10-03-2007, 10:24 PM
im sure some do, they are just jealous they aren't as pretty as alizée

Fish
10-03-2007, 10:44 PM
im sure some do, they are just jealous they aren't as pretty as alizée

A problem that plagues many. Can't compete with perfection, after all.

rwd716
10-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Well, just by them putting my Flag in that barrel of oil, prolly does indicate a dig (not a good one). I dunno, I still never like it when people discrace a flag. I would never do that to anyone's flag, especially an ally's. I can't say what I would do if I saw someone do that in real life--it definately wouldn't turn out good. Ugg, Imma stop now b4 this gets ugly.

theit77
10-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Well, just by them putting my Flag in that barrel of oil, prolly does indicate a dig (not a good one). I dunno, I still never like it when people discrace a flag. I would never do that to anyone's flag, especially an ally's. I can't say what I would do if I saw someone do that in real life--it definately wouldn't turn out good. Ugg, Imma stop now b4 this gets ugly.

I agree, that definately crossed the line

Capn
10-03-2007, 11:04 PM
yeah I can't stand that I don't consider that funny at all thats just not cool

Rev
10-03-2007, 11:31 PM
No country has the corner on stupid and insensitive people. Simply never assume the actions of a few ever represent the fellings of all.

lefty12357
10-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I wouldn’t get too upset about it or take it personally. Every country on earth (including ours) has people who do this sort of thing. I wouldn’t automatically assume a whole nation is in agreement for what a few are saying.

I’d like to see a translation of it though, so I could clearly understand what Lara Fabian and Melissa Mars are saying, and especially how they are saying it. Then I would know what to think of them.

theit77
10-03-2007, 11:52 PM
I’d like to see a translation of it though, so I could clearly understand what Lara Fabian and Melissa Mars are saying, and especially how they are saying it. Then I would know what to think of them.

Here's an online translation of the lyrics:

"Men, When they dance as person When they sing, that that rings astaire to Morrisson Of The yanks, When they
throw good wine One would screw for them bread There, this is more our buddies

Just as we, They do evil just as we, They do the good As one can be animal One also human being Etre
homéricains

Men, When Michael Moore cop On a system "that Bush" one Of Kabul to Enron Of The yanks, When stand up the
false breasts The fast-foods to False every corner meat in the hands

Just as we, They do evil just as we, They do the good As one can be animal One also human being Etre
homéricains

Men, When the lesson that they give Is to be as an alone man To The foot of the turns ghosts

Yanks, When in the name of the divine one They sip their neighbor to be able to fill up

Just as we, They do evil just as we, They do the good As one can be animal One also human being just as we,
They are men We are also yanks Never faith does not abandon The men, the homéricains…"

they're basically just making fun of americans for what americans are usually made fun for: 'fast food and breast-augmentations'

rcs
10-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Ah great...Boobs and Big Macs. We've come a long way since putting man on the moon.:rolleyes:

rwd716
10-04-2007, 03:02 AM
No country has the corner on stupid and insensitive people. Simply never assume the actions of a few ever represent the fellings of all.

I wouldn’t get too upset about it or take it personally. Every country on earth (including ours) has people who do this sort of thing. I wouldn’t automatically assume a whole nation is in agreement for what a few are saying.

I wasn't pointing nething at France. I just don't like people who discrace flags (including ours). But I don't totally understand the context of the song, so I won't get that bent outa shape over it.

CFHollister
10-04-2007, 05:15 AM
I was wondering when somebody was gonna uncover/post this thing. It's not exactly flattering, not exactly true, but not exactly false. On the whole, I don't care much for the song or video, but I try not to take it too personally. When I do get that feeling creeping in, I tend to project the resentment on Laura since I tend to like Melissa's other work.

heyamigo
10-04-2007, 06:23 AM
damn melissa with big boobs looks pretty nice actually...lol

rwd716
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
I didn't wanna say it, but def thought it. But I guess now we're fitting our stereotype of liking big tots, haha. O well, sry If melissa doesn't like that about us, lol.

Capn
10-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I didn't wanna say it, but def thought it. But I guess now we're fitting our stereotype of liking big tots, haha. O well, sry If melissa doesn't like that about us, lol.

half the population of men around the world love big boobs lol give me a break

Deepwaters
10-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Not everyone believes in stereotypes, and not everyone fits them. All French people don't believe this kind of thing about Americans, any more than all Americans believe the French are untrustworthy cowards.

There's no point in taking this kind of thing to heart, unless of course YOU fit the stereotype. Then it's an invitation to mend your ways. ;)

Piblokto
10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Not everyone believes in stereotypes, and not everyone fits them. All French people don't believe this kind of thing about Americans, any more than all Americans believe the French are untrustworthy cowards.

There's no point in taking this kind of thing to heart, unless of course YOU fit the stereotype. Then it's an invitation to mend your ways. ;)

Well said. And thinking in terms of "the" Americans, "the" French or "the" Whatever doesn't make any sense to me. Unless you think that foreign countries are inhabited with clones...

Capn
10-04-2007, 02:20 PM
well who said fitting a stereotype is a bad thing ?

Edcognito
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM

YAYYY!! Good one DW! I've seen too many people get "caught up" in what someone else says about them, thier car, thier kids, thier house, their country, thier whatever.........

Until people begin to understand that stereotypes are ONLY that (convienient handles for people that don't want to think) there will be hurt feelings all around. Once you understand that a "stereotype" is a "pigeon hole" that goes around a person (AND their thinking), you can begin to reject stereotypes, and think about PEOPLE.

Alizée should be a clarion call to those Americans who have heard/seen her. If we never looked beyond the familiar - if we never explored new ideas, music, places or PEOPLE - I think we would all be locked into listening to Donovan, and watching re-runs of the Honeymooners and Leave it to Beaver!

Maybe i disagree with what they did to a flag. Maybe i don't - but i would defend thier right to DO IT (say it, think it) to the death.........

Ed:cool:

Capn
10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
as much as I agree no one should be able to take away their right to do so I can't imagine why someone would do something like that to a flag I would never do that to someone else's flag its just not right thats all we are saying

nurvonic
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM

precisely what i felt. disgracing the flag was uncalled for and made me think ill of melissa mars even more.

lefty12357
10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Well said. And thinking in terms of "the" Americans, "the" French or "the" Whatever doesn't make any sense to me. Unless you think that foreign countries are inhabited with clones...

Excellent point, Piblokto. I'm glad everyone is taking this in stride.

Deepwaters
10-04-2007, 05:02 PM
A flag is an emblem of a country, a nationality, a government -- not of a population. If you disapprove of the policies of a country, nationality, or government strongly, and want to make a symbolic, theatrical statement to that effect, using the flag for the purpose makes sense.

Of course it would be offensive to a patriot; however, I think that's part of the idea.

nurvonic
10-04-2007, 05:34 PM
A flag is an emblem of a country, a nationality, a government -- not of a population. If you disapprove of the policies of a country, nationality, or government strongly, and want to make a symbolic, theatrical statement to that effect, using the flag for the purpose makes sense.

im not going to get into why, but i strongly disagree with you on that one.

Killian
10-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I have never fully understood the strong feelings some people have to their flags, particularly Americans. I am not trying to stereotype, but America is the only country where I have seen houses brandishing their countries flag. As Deep said, it is a symbol of the country itself, but not the people. I understand it in sporting events, when people want to demonstrate their nationality and pride in the team. But, that is showing pride in the team and not in the flag.
The whole feeling that a flag is everything, and that damaging one is an attack on an entire people misses me. It may be that I was not raised in such a culture, but I really don't get it.

Capn
10-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Of course it would be offensive to a patriot; however, I think that's part of the idea.
That is so untrue the flag symbolizes everything your country stands for including its government and people. The people are part of the government and make up the government and its policies. By attacking our flag you are attacking our government our people and our beliefs it is not just a symbolic protest it is an attack on that nation as a whole politically and socially.

nurvonic
10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
I have never fully understood the strong feelings some people have to their flags, particularly Americans. I am not trying to stereotype, but America is the only country where I have seen houses brandishing their countries flag. As Deep said, it is a symbol of the country itself, but not the people. I understand it in sporting events, when people want to demonstrate their nationality and pride in the team. But, that is showing pride in the team and not in the flag.
The whole feeling that a flag is everything, and that damaging one is an attack on an entire people misses me. It may be that I was not raised in such a culture, but I really don't get it.

so someone disgraces your flag, its a slight against your government and not ireland as a whole? i think the flag represents anything and everything of that particular country, especially its people.

maybe you've never seen your flag burnt while people cheered and stomped on it, or seen it dumped in a vat of oil, so thats why you dont understand, but i find it very offensive.

this is getting a little off point. bottom line, the song is offensive to americans and thats the whole purpose.

Killian
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
so someone disgraces your flag, its a slight against your government and not ireland as a whole? i think the flag represents anything and everything of that particular country, especially its people.

maybe you've never seen your flag burnt while people cheered and stomped on it, or seen it dumped in a vat of oil, so thats why you dont understand, but i find it very offensive.

this is getting a little off point. bottom line, the song is offensive to americans and thats the whole purpose.

I suppose the circumstances have to be taken into account.

If it was burned, or whatever, during the troubles as a kind of attack on the Irish Republic that would be, in a sense, offensive as that is how it was meant. But it also has to be considered that the people doing it are scum who shouldn't be given the satisfaction of your reaction.

But, if it is done as a skit or a joke, and is in good humour, I don't see the problem at all to be honest, and that is what I was talking about.

Deepwaters
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
so someone disgraces your flag, is a slight against your government and not ireland as a whole? i think the flag represents anything and everything of that particular country, especially its people.

The problem with that idea is that there have been periods in America's history (and that of any other country) where the nation was seriously divided, and in America, it sometimes happens that the flag is seized by one side of the conflict or the other and used to augment its own position, implying a lack of patriotism for the other. What's more, the side inclined to do that is typically the one least entitled to claim to represent America in terms of the nation's founding ideals. The first time I experienced this, I was quite young, not old enough yet to take part in the conflict, but old enough to see it and form opinions about it. The end result for me has been a separation in my mind of the flag as symbol from the ideals America was founded on, and that the flag is supposed to represent, but at that time most emphatically DID NOT.

An experience like that stays with you. I am inclined to agree with Samuel Johnson: patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Capn
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
well the flag is meant to represent the country and everything the country stands for as far as its policies and general population you cannot let an issue where someone else says it stands for something else blind you from that purpose of the flag and I am a patriot and love my country and everything it stands for. Now people may criticize America because of a couple of mistakes it has made but lets look at all of these other countries that are criticizing us they have 100% made more mistakes and have done 10 times worse than what America has done in its short time as a country. This conversation as far as I am concerned is over you may continue to argue your point but this is where I stand so I won't bother adding any more commentary. (I just threw in the mistakes thing in because a lot of people like to hold the Iraq war over my head like I care)

Killian
10-04-2007, 06:25 PM
you cannot let an issue where someone else says it stands for something else blind you from that purpose of the flag

So, if someone defecates your flag, you should ignore them? That is what I was saying, if they believe your flag represents one thing, you are likely to believe it means another. So, you should accept their opinion and if they are sad/stupid/pathetic enough to believe their opinion's ae more important their your, let them. If you, then, verbally attack them, aren't you as bad as them?

Capn
10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I said I wasn't going to reply but let me clarify I meant if they verbally attack what my flag stands for its different than physically attacking and destroying the flag. To explain it let me switch it up to another scenario. Someone is walking down the street and all of a sudden starts screaming at you and calling you names. I can deal with this and ignore them however if they physically attack me I am going to hit them back.

CFHollister
10-04-2007, 06:30 PM
[steps onto soapbox]

I know this topic lends itself so easily to going in this direction, but lets try to steer this topic away from the political arena. Failing that, the Mod Squad will have to go into action:(. Not that we are trying to repress people's views, only that this site is not a forum for political debate... I'm sure there are other places in the vastness of the internet for that. This is a place for us to enjoy Alizée and each other as a community of her fans. Thank you for your cooperation;).

[steps off of soapbox]

nurvonic
10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
maybe i got a little out of hand. im going to close this thread to cool myself and other people off.