PDA

View Full Version : Learning French.

Urb4n
08-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, I'm taking up French now. It's a little more practical I think than the other language I was learning(Japanese). And, I figured I might as well. It can't hurt right? Right.

I just wanted to know if any of you had any tips, knew of any books, any programs that might help and so forth and so on. Is it hard to learn as a native English speaker? How long do you think it'll take? Thanks.

brad
08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
i discovered some really good french podcasts that teach you french. they are free .. and I think very well done.

search for 'the french pod class' on itunes or you can visit the website here ...

http://www.frenchpodclass.com/

I would recommend just subscribing to it in itunes, because there is so much material there .. videos, audio, pdfs and etc .. it would be a lot easier.

bt_bird_90
08-19-2006, 05:30 PM
thanks a bunch, I was JUST going to start a thread about this. I seriously want to get into this language.

Bob
08-19-2006, 06:51 PM
thanks a bunch, I was JUST going to start a thread about this. I seriously want to get into this language.

haha same wit me =) thanks brad ill look into this

Urb4n
08-19-2006, 09:37 PM
um.. Gracias Brad? lol, thanks man

riva2model64
08-19-2006, 10:20 PM
same with me, i'm trying to learn this language

HibyPrime
08-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I've been using french.about.com (http://www.french.about.com/) for almost all of my french learning... It's very easy to use, they have audio dictionaries, hundreds of short lessons and 2 different email subscriptions that send you emails daily/weekly with lessons in a logical order.

Just keep in mind that learning any language is not easy, and you will actually have to work toward it.

Some tips to learn faster: If you are the only person using your computer, you can change the settings (windows + most web pages) on your computer to run in french.. also, If you have any french TV stations where you live, turn on the closed captioning and watch away. Another nice way to help you learn is to listen to french music (alizee anyone?) while reading the lyrics for it. After you know all the words and can sing it without help from the lyrics (I'm sure most of you can w/ alizee's songs, then listen to the songs while reading the english lyrics.

and for god sake, get a french to english dictionary (not an online one, not a pocket one, a full sized one.. shouldnt be more than $10). So many people (including myself) have tried learning french without a physical dictionary, beleive me it helps a hell of alot to have one.

Bob
08-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I've been using french.about.com (http://www.french.about.com/) for almost all of my french learning... It's very easy to use, they have audio dictionaries, hundreds of short lessons and 2 different email subscriptions that send you emails daily/weekly with lessons in a logical order.

Just keep in mind that learning any language is not easy, and you will actually have to work toward it.

Some tips to learn faster: If you are the only person using your computer, you can change the settings (windows + most web pages) on your computer to run in french.. also, If you have any french TV stations where you live, turn on the closed captioning and watch away. Another nice way to help you learn is to listen to french music (alizee anyone?) while reading the lyrics for it. After you know all the words and can sing it without help from the lyrics (I'm sure most of you can w/ alizee's songs, then listen to the songs while reading the english lyrics.

and for god sake, get a french to english dictionary (not an online one, not a pocket one, a full sized one.. shouldnt be more than $10). So many people (including myself) have tried learning french without a physical dictionary, beleive me it helps a hell of alot to have one.

thanks for the tips, i read your siggy.... Jamaican me crazy, thats a Ben and Jerry's flavor =) by chance did you steal that? =)

HibyPrime
08-19-2006, 11:36 PM
I found it on the net somewhere.. I kinda forgot where, but it wasn't in reference to ben and jerry's ice cream

RadioactiveMan
08-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Do those pod casts and internet sites really help? I've taken French in school for six years and I haven't really learned much, but I think that that's more a miracle of the public education system than anything else.

HibyPrime
08-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Do those pod casts and internet sites really help? I've taken French in school for six years and I haven't really learned much, but I think that that's more a miracle of the public education system than anything else.

I took french for 5 years in public school and basically I did not learn anything past salut/bonjour. The thing about learning languages is that you have to take an active interest in it, rather than just listening to lecture after lecture.

Languages are a skill, they cannot be taught from soely a book (or a web-page), what matters is how much practice you put into it.

So yes, the sites/podcasts help, but its up to you to use what you have learned and practice it.

Urb4n
08-20-2006, 01:00 AM
roger that. Yeah, I think I'm in for a ride with this French learning. Japanese is so easy compared to this, they only have one sound for thier vowels.. ever. It's worth it though I think.

General Patton
08-20-2006, 12:53 PM
I might try to learn French on my own, I pick spanish to learn before I saw Alizee, but then again your right you never learn from school anyway esp. languages!

Bob
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
ya im trying out those french podcast things, i think i know more in french then i do in spanish, after taking spanish for 5 years

Spartan500
08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
the samething happened to me general i picked spanish 0ne for next year seeing as how i got the record for the lowest f in any language class lol. but as soon as i found out about alizee i wanted to switch to french lol

General Patton
08-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Yea I have had Spanish classes off and on since 3rd grade and the only thing I know in spanish is to count to ten!

Matrix
08-20-2006, 10:50 PM
I wonder if Alizee is teaching any english to her child, anny-lee? Do you french people do that sort of thing?

rwd716
08-21-2006, 01:50 AM

Uhhh...French for six years and not much learned? Hint: less booze and weed, HOLLA!

Señor Villa
08-25-2006, 02:58 AM
I learning French on my own using French CD's by Michel Thomas which has helped me a lot.

aFrenchie
08-27-2006, 07:54 AM
I wonder if Alizee is teaching any english to her child, anny-lee? Do you french people do that sort of thing?
Only at school and quite late sadly.

RadioactiveMan
08-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Uhhh...French for six years and not much learned? Hint: less booze and weed, HOLLA!
I wondered what my problem was. Thanks!

rwd716
08-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I wondered what my problem was. Thanks!

HAHA! Good game!