PDA

View Full Version : Youpidoo english version

Scruffydog777
11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
It seems to me that the lyrics they used for the english version of this song are quite differnet from the french ones which is far as I can tell, seems to be break from the usual routine for her. It seems with most of the songs that the english lyrics pretty much follow the french lyrics even if at the times they don't translate well from french to english.Is there a reason for this or did I just answer my own question?

CFHollister
11-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Probably two reasons: 1) I've been told that the French lyrics don't necessarily make a lot of sense to begin with; 2) Even though the other English versions are related thematically to the French versions, there is so much lost in translation that they are but shells of their French versions (with the possible exception of Amélie) and already "quite different" from their French versions.

RMJ
11-21-2007, 03:06 PM
It seems to me that the lyrics they used for the english version of this song are quite differnet from the french ones which is far as I can tell, seems to be break from the usual routine for her. It seems with most of the songs that the english lyrics pretty much follow the french lyrics even if at the times they don't translate well from french to english.Is there a reason for this or did I just answer my own question?

That's why Youpidoo is so superior out of other English versions. It was basically rewritten from the scratch. It shares very little with the French version, so it just works. It works so good that it easily beats it's original French version.

INT and IFU was messed up badly since they basically are just translations of the French words, with some tweaking on the words to make them flow little better. But because of so many double meanings and questinable phrases... The result wasn't very good... it was just too hard to keep the original idea while translating it into another language. Only reason why these have any value in music business is the fact that Alizée sings them. If someone else would sing them, they'd be long forgotten already.

Amélie was done like INT and IFU, but it works much better. Maybe because it's not so double meaning song. It's beautiful ballad, so it was easy to translate to English, too. And with some tweaking, the flow of lyrics was done pretty good. So it's still one of her most beautiful songs.