PDA

View Full Version : Mylène Farmer

christelle
08-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Do you guys know Mylène Farmer?.

She's a star in France, Russie and in more countries, she found out
Alizee, and her songs are excellent, Alizee's songs and clips are very inspired from Mylène's universe, but funniest!.

The "Parler tout bas " and "Moi Lolita "clips are the ones who are more inspired from Mylène, cause they are like real movies.

Just see the diferent clips of Mylène, and above all " Sans contrefaçons", "Tristana", "Regrets" and more...

Here is the link: http://www.mfarmer.org/index2.php?page=clip_mylene_010.
Sorry I can't put the link other way. There is a link for Alizee too in this site!!.

riva2model64
08-23-2006, 03:29 PM
yup, most of us know of Mylene Farmer, esp. from watching the
Alizée interviews, where Alizée thanks Mylene numerous times and
explains what her relationship with Mylene is

although i don't know much about her apart from that
thanks for the link

also i really liked that Desenchantee remix

brad
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
i didn't know about her, until i discovered alizee .. but i have heard a good bit of her stuff now. she isnt bad, and I can see some of the influence you are talking about.

alizee just has me so biased against all other singers, it is hard for anyone else to compare :)

RadioactiveMan
08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
I like Desenchantee and Libertine, but I haven't really heard much else from her.

Jchase
08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
All I know is she got a song when translated into "F*ck them all." And she inspired Alizee heh.

rwd716
08-23-2006, 09:32 PM
So, is she and Lili done for good. As in, horrible split-up. :confused: I really think that alot of the image and style came from Myléne. I'm interested to see how she changes w/ out her.

Matrix
08-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Oui, I know Mylene Farmer, I discovered her when I discovered Alizee on Youtube. I like the Desenchantee video the best but youtube removed it for copyright infringement, sigh :(

I still got the other Mylene Farmer video saved to my favorites where she strips naked almost. Heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YTIehKBsrE

General Patton
08-24-2006, 05:19 PM
dam i got to be a member....

General Patton
08-24-2006, 05:24 PM
wait I made an account but it still won't let me watch it

RadioactiveMan
08-24-2006, 05:27 PM
You have to be 18 to view the video. I think that you'd have to make a new account and lie about your age if you wanted to see it.

General Patton
08-24-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm not stupid radio I said that I was born in 1980

Jess
06-30-2007, 07:23 PM
This might come as a shock to some, but I really don't like Mylene Farmer. Don't mean to offend anyone, if it does offend someone. I think she has a great voice, and I'm very grateful for what she's done with Alizée. I'll even go as far as to say that I think Alizée was better off staying with her. I just don't like her music, don't like her hair, her looks, her songs, etc,. The first time I saw one of her videos, she was taking her close off, the second time I saw a video of hers she was singing "F.... them all"........ "That was all I needed". ;)

fsquared
06-30-2007, 11:55 PM
I confess that I find Mylene's voice a little too, well, high for my tastes. I like the lyrics, melody, and instrumentation a lot.

marik
07-01-2007, 07:36 AM
yeah manager of Alizée?

Drake498
07-01-2007, 11:21 AM
i didn't know about her, until i discovered alizee .. but i have heard a good bit of her stuff now. she isnt bad, and I can see some of the influence you are talking about.

alizee just has me so biased against all other singers, it is hard for anyone else to compare :)
same with me, i found about Mylene through Alizée, but i'm bais to Lili as well, cant help it :p

Deepwaters
07-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Mylène is awesome! She's got a completely different persona than Alizée, not at all sweet or innocent. Her performances and her music are dark, a little twisted, with a downbeat feel of futility and sometimes rage. But it's all done really, really well.

If you start as an Alizée fan, it's maybe natural to explore Mylène thinking you're going to see similarities, but you won't see many, even though the same team wrote all of Mylène's stuff, too. She's very, very sexy, but her sexiness is a dark kind, conscious of rebellion against society's stuffiness or its cruelty.

My suggestion is to check Mylène out with an open mind and forget the fact that she and Alizée were partners.

Bigdan
07-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Mylène is awesome! She's got a completely different persona than Alizée, not at all sweet or innocent. Her performances and her music are dark, a little twisted, with a downbeat feel of futility and sometimes rage. But it's all done really, really well.

If you start as an Alizée fan, it's maybe natural to explore Mylène thinking you're going to see similarities, but you won't see many, even though the same team wrote all of Mylène's stuff, too. She's very, very sexy, but her sexiness is a dark kind, conscious of rebellion against society's stuffiness or its cruelty.

I couldn't say better.:)

espire
07-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Whoever always says it, credit to you.

Alizée & Mylène,
Temptation & Fall

I only wish her voice was at a higher volume in her songs.

Bigdan
07-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Just a souvenir about the time Mylène and Alizée were so close they share their outfits...

http://danbousq.club.fr/universdan/Post/mylen_alizee.jpg

Deepwaters
07-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow, Dan, I never noticed that before! Do you know if it's actually the same hat, or two hats of the same kind?

Killian
07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I've never listened to Mylène . I don't like Pop music and as such never bothered. Does she have any more rock orientated pop songs like Alizée or should I not bother looking her up?

Edit: Nope shouldn't have bothered looking her up :(.

lefty12357
07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
This song rocks a bit, but Mylène's style is much more complex and for some may be an acquired taste. Much of her music is quite melancholy.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0z4-rl_A0UE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0z4-rl_A0UE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I really like the way she puts together her concerts, as seen in this intro to the Mylenium Tour.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/leVBsdctue0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/leVBsdctue0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Bigdan
07-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow, Dan, I never noticed that before! Do you know if it's actually the same hat, or two hats of the same kind?

In the Mylène fans community, everybody according to say they share the same... Probably a gift of Mylène.

espire
07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Mylène has a much more powerful voice than Alizée, and she can hit notes with perfect pitch and not a hint of wavering.

Lefty, I agree with you, her concerts are very impressive. I can also see that she tried to put a bit of that into Alizée's concerts. However, Mylène simply has more experience with the whole "getting audience involved" thing, among others. We'll see Lili with uber concert skillz by the end of the next tour, I think.

lefty12357
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM

You may want to check this thread out:

http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=1404

Martin
07-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I like some Mylene's songs but not all. Some of her work sounds and looks a bit pretentious to me, with no real substance beneath the shiny artistic surface, balancing between art and synthy pop, epic and kitsch. A number of her songs are really good and her singing is passionate and powerful but there is a hyperbole in all this, a lack of down to earth simplicity and connection with the audience. At least to my ears. I cant comment on the lyrics though, so my opinion is not 100% complete I admit.

Alizee on the other hand, is much more direct, more humane and fresh and actually I even find Laurent Boutonant's arrangements in her songs more imaginative than those of Mylene. Hmm, am I biased?:D

CFHollister
07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I like some Mylene's songs but not all. Some of her work sounds and looks a bit pretentious to me, with no real substance beneath the shiny artistic surface, balancing between art and synthy pop, epic and kitsch. A number of her songs are really good and her singing is passionate and powerful but there is a hyperbole in all this, a lack of down to earth simplicity and connection with the audience. At least to my ears. I cant comment on the lyrics though, so my opinion is not 100% complete I admit.

Alizee on the other hand, is much more direct, more humane and fresh and actually I even find Laurent Boutonant's arrangements in her songs more imaginative than those of Mylene. Hmm, am I biased?:D

I might be tempted to agree from what I've seen/heard of Mylène but I really haven't seen/heard enough to form and informed judgment of my own. I can say that Mylène has always embraced being theatrical in her performance. As far as a connection with the audience, it's a kinda hard to argue with her fan base... obviuosly she connects pretty well with them, or at least to their satisfaction.

Deepwaters
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
"Connection with the audience" can be interepreted at least two ways. Mylène certainly makes a connection in that she touches her audience and moves it. But what she touches it with is a construct, an artifice, a brilliantly-painted illusion. What you see on stage is what Mylène wants you to see, not who she is. She is very secretive, very much hidden.

Alizée's performances have always been less meticulously crafted, more natural, more spontaneous. She always makes a very personal kind of contact. She makes eye contact, she waves to individual people in the audience, she gets down among them and touches hands. You get the feeling she wants to hug everyone.

These are differences of style. Alizée is capable of putting up a good screen, but she doesn't do it as reflexively and instinctively as Mylène does, and her performances aren't as theatrical as Mylène's because that would put some distance between herself and the public and that's not what she wants.

fsquared
07-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I really like her duet with Seal (Les Mots) and her duet with Moby (Slipping Away). I have Les Mots, and it's interesting to re-live the evolution of synth-pop from a different perspective (listening to it, I get the impression that Laurent has always been on the cutting edge, and the cutting edge in like ~1985 was a lot like Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark). I wonder if her more recent albums (i.e., past Les Mots, so after 2001) have a little more dance flair to them (I confess that's where my sympathies lie). I got her remix double album but I was a bit disappointed to find it was kind of stereotypical mid-90s club re-hashing.

heyamigo
07-03-2007, 02:58 AM
i think MF is great. but to be honest, it took me a while to start appreciating her music and i agree it's not for everyone. i think older people and people who are more...how do you say..."self-tortured" and dark feel a special connection to her songs. for me, when it grew on me, i was sucked in and there was no going back, but i do i remember i thought her voice was way too weird and too high at first. now i think it's beautiful. but yea although MF produced alizee, their target audiences are totally different, so i wouldn't expect to see most people here who are mostly young to also be her fans. but personally, i am somewhat of a sicko :) and have a thing for dark depressing things and i really enjoy MF's work, especially her older work. i think l'autre is the best album of hers with my personal favorite je t'aime melancolie, and other greats like desenchantee and l'autre.

Deepwaters
07-03-2007, 09:12 PM
the second time I saw a video of hers she was singing "F.... them all"........ "That was all I needed". ;)

Just been studying the lyrics to that song, and thought I'd share.

La nature est changeante
L'on respire comme ils mentent
De façon ravageuse
La nature est tueuse

Au temps des « Favorites »
Autant de réussites
Pour l'homme qui derrière a...
Une « Belle » qui s'affaire... à

Faire... de leur vie un empire
Blood and tears !
Faire l'amour à Marie
Blood and tears !
Et "Marie" est martyre
Blood and tears
Sur le mur : nos soupirs !

Fuck Them All !
Faites l'amour
Nous la guerre
Nos vies à l'envers
Fuck Them All !
Faites l'amour
Nous la guerre
Saigner : notre enfer !
Fuck Them All !
Faites l'amour
Nous la guerre
Nos vies à l'envers
Blood And Soul
Faites-le nous !
Dans le texte
Le sang c'est le sexe

De nature innocente
L'on manie élégance
Et d'une main experte
D'un glaive l'on transperce

Les discours trop prolixes
Que de la rhétorique
Lâchetés familières
Qui nous rendent guerrières

Faire... de leur vie un empire
Blood and tears !
Faire l'amour à Marie
Blood and tears !
Et "Marie" est martyre
Blood and tears
Sur le mur : nos soupirs !

Now let's see if I can manage a translation of the French lyrics. This won't be easy. Mylène's meaning is always hard to get right.

Nature is fickle
One breathes like they lie
In a destructive way
Nature is a murderer
At times of the "Favorites"
As much of the successes
As of the man who falls behind
A "Beauty" whose business
Makes an empire out of their life
Blood and tears!
To make love with Marie
Blood and tears!
And "Marie" is martyrdom
Blood and tears!
Against the wall: Our sighs

Fuck them all!
We make love
Into war
Our lives all reversed
Fuck them all!
We make love
Into war
To bleed: Our Hell
Fuck them all!
We make love
Into war
Our lives all reversed
Blood and soul!
Do it to us!
From the text
Blood is sex

Of innocent nature
One wields elegance
And with an expert hand
One is transfixed by the sword
Discourse too wordy
That rhetoric
Familiar cowardice
That turns us into warriors

Not saying I fully understand all that -- it would take a lot to unpack Mylène's meaning here. I do understand some of it, about the interconnection of life (and therefore sex) with death, and nature's innocent, indifferent cruelty. Just saying, first impressions aren't always good ones to go on. ;)

heyamigo
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM
i don't really like F them all, especially the hey bitch you witch part. usually when i hear english in foreign songs, it just doesn't sound right and wish they wouldn't use english in most cases.

garçoncanadien
07-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Jess listen to Dans les Rues de Londres, Souviens-toi du jour, Redonne-moi, and C'est une belle journée ;) this may alter your opinion a bit :D

CFHollister
07-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Jess listen to Dans les Rues de Londres, Souviens-toi du jour, Redonne-moi, and C'est une belle journée ;) this may alter your opinion a bit :D

Really, in what ways, specifically, were you thinking?

garçoncanadien
07-03-2007, 10:23 PM
these songs show another aspect of Mymy's artwork ;)

CFHollister
07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
these songs show another aspect of Mymy's artwork ;)

Not specific enough, sorry :p

Jess
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Hey guys I'm not saying she's bad, just saying not my taste. It's ok to have different taste, as long as we like Lili's music we'll get along just well. ;) :wub:

garçoncanadien
07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
electronic high five to you :D Jess

lefty12357
07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Souviens-toi du jour has been stuck in my head since the first time I heard it. I'm glad I have the Mylenium tour DVD so I can watch her live performance of that song whenever I want.

lefty12357
07-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Oh what the hell, here it is. Of course you don't have to watch it if you don't want to...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WzGM6q8UBuY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WzGM6q8UBuY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

espire
07-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm intrigued by Mylène's hand motions while she's dancing, it's like graceful sign-language!

fsquared
07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh what the hell, here it is. Of course you don't have to watch it if you don't want to...

Wow, that was just beautiful. Thanks!

garçoncanadien
07-04-2007, 01:43 AM
you all had better read the lyrics to this song now, they are so :( for me maybe you can tell me your opinions :)

fsquared
07-04-2007, 01:55 AM
you all had better read the lyrics to this song now, they are so :( for me maybe you can tell me your opinions :)

You've obviously been through this, since you're on the thread I'm about to post:

http://mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=3830&highlight=souviens

I sort of scanned through them; I guess I didn't mull over them long enough to get much of a strong emotional reaction one way or another. What kind of emotion do they evoke in you in French? Depressive melancholy?

Jess
07-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Here's my alternative to Mylène Farmer......... ;) Happy House. :)

<embed width="440" height="380" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=68kpksm"></embed>

<embed width="440" height="380" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=61jv8f8"></embed>

Amelie
07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Mylene is the best. to me. it's kinda flood, but i can't help with that :)

Jess
07-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Amelie, please don't hate me for my posts here. I still think your cool. ;) :)

lefty12357
07-04-2007, 03:46 PM
For my part, it's all cool, Jess. Just because someone likes something, doesn't mean they should expect everyone else to like it too. I have one friend who likes Alizée and one who really can't stand her. Neither one of them can really clearly explain why they feel the way they do. I guess it comes down to personal taste.

Jess
07-04-2007, 03:53 PM
For my part, it's all cool, Jess. Just because someone likes something, doesn't mean they should expect everyone else to like it too. I have one friend who likes Alizée and one who really can't stand her. Neither one of them can really clearly explain why they feel the way they do. I guess it comes down to personal taste.

"Thanks Lefty", I can respect that........ :)

fsquared
07-06-2007, 09:18 PM
So, who else is a fan of Slipping Away (Crier La Vie) of Moby + Mylene? I read that it debuted at #1 on the French charts and was Mylene's first #1 since 1995. I find it very soothing, and also somehow I prefer it to the English and Spanish versions (maybe because I prefer Mylene's voice to Amaral's and I don't really like the sound of Moby singing in Spanish either...)

CFHollister
07-07-2007, 01:22 AM
So, who else is a fan of Slipping Away (Crier La Vie) of Moby + Mylene? I read that it debuted at #1 on the French charts and was Mylene's first #1 since 1995. I find it very soothing, and also somehow I prefer it to the English and Spanish versions (maybe because I prefer Mylene's voice to Amaral's and I don't really like the sound of Moby singing in Spanish either...)

Yeah, I dig that song too :)

garçoncanadien
07-07-2007, 07:58 AM
You've obviously been through this, since you're on the thread I'm about to post:

http://mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=3830&highlight=souviens

I sort of scanned through them; I guess I didn't mull over them long enough to get much of a strong emotional reaction one way or another. What kind of emotion do they evoke in you in French? Depressive melancholy?

its an everything flooding in at once reaction, this song makes me think about all the wrong steps I took in the past :( makes me want to be a better person now.