PDA

View Full Version : These are fighting words

ALS
12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Don't these losers know who Alizée is? :mad:

The surge of Gallic pride was provoked by the front page of the latest European edition of Time, which asked readers to name a living French artist or writer of international standing.

The magazine itself came up with just one: the singer Johnny Hallyday - who announced this week that he would stop touring in 2009 due to old age.

It added that thousands of artists were only able to survive because of the huge subsidies France poured into culture, and few have had any success abroad.

France reacts to US magazine's culture jibe
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/05/wfrance105.xml)

C-4
12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
america is so full of itself, thinking that there really is no other place of importance, no other industries but theirs, and no one of any importance that americans should be made aware of in entertainment, blah, blah, blah, not to mention other subjects, that it makes me sick.

European radio if FAR more interesting to listen too, and has more creative artists, singers, musicians playing their music then all the redundant crap we have here, which is constantly shoved down our throats as we are told how great these american performers are like spears and her ilk, that I am just as fed up with it as can be.

No wonder Alizée does not want to come here to perform! Who can blame her for that?!

Besides, Time is such a biased rag with it's own agenda. What an insult to Europeans. No wonder they hate us!

At least the French are promoting culture and not hip-hop and Mc Donald's. We are a country of fads and fast food. France has been around far longer then we have and has far more culture then the average american understands. Sure France has McDonald's and Disneyland, but they have far more in the way of history, culture and refinement then exists here.

DirtyACE
12-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Take a look at this thread. It should answer some questions for both of you as to why Lili and other international artists may have problems braking into US music market:

http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=2907&highlight=supply+demand

Reuben
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
ok that pissed me off...

OGRE
12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
america is so full of itself, thinking that there really is no other place of importance, no other industries but theirs, and no one of any importance that americans should be made aware of in entertainment, blah, blah, blah, not to mention other subjects, that it makes me sick.

Whoa! All that because the WRITERS and EDITORS of the EUROPEAN edition of Time decided it was so? Please don't put the rest of America in lock step with writers and editors of a magazine genre that is by no means reflective of the society from whence they come. Your comment may have merit standing alone, or in response to a more balanced and thoughtful inquiry. Spinning it off Time only diminishes any merit it might otherwise have.

C-4
12-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Ogre,
Once again you show wisdom and balance. I do not take back my statement, but you are very correct in that I should not equate it with Time's European writers and editors.
However, all things considered, I would MUCH rather be living in France, learning the language and enjoying all it has to offer, except for the rioting muslims and africans, of course! wink

Thank you for your input, Ogre.
Stephen