PDA

View Full Version : French Novels

Toc De Mac
12-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I hereby propose a thread to discuss the most excellent French novels that you have read. :)

Please also try to classify the novel as either a beginner, intermediate, or advanced French novel.

espire
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
I've read Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers, which was a fun read, but requires an intermediate understanding of French (not according to software, I'm talking about an intermediate level according to a university). Once my knowledge of the language gets good enough, which I hope will be by this summer, I'm going to take a stab at Return of the King in French.

fsquared
12-16-2007, 12:22 AM
En Attendant Godot by Samuel Beckett was interesting, but I don't remember it very well. I don't remember if I actually read much of it in the original French though. If I recall (and I don't recall it very well) the French itself is not that complicated, but since it's an absurdist play, most of the meaning is kind of in the interstices.

Toc De Mac
08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
En Attendant Godot by Samuel Beckett was interesting, but I don't remember it very well. I don't remember if I actually read much of it in the original French though. If I recall (and I don't recall it very well) the French itself is not that complicated, but since it's an absurdist play, most of the meaning is kind of in the interstices.

I actually just found this the other day at the used bookstore, with translations of uncommon words in the back as well. Score ! :)