PDA

View Full Version : goldfish?

blueskyy
08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
So does anyone know what the significance of the goldfish is? The one mentioned in j'en ai marre.

Bob
08-30-2006, 09:06 PM
she is singing about how "she is a goldfish in a bowl" or like shes trapped... its hard to explain..look at the english lyrics youll find it out

acer
08-30-2006, 09:51 PM
this site takes a stab at interpreting some of the double entendre

http://www.mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=248

dvtq
08-30-2006, 10:07 PM
she's a little fat goldfish at that time ^^

DJ_Greg
08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
this site takes a stab at interpreting some of the double entendre

http://www.mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=248

VERY interesting stuff. Thanks for the link.

DJ_Greg
08-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah, some people have interpreted the song as an ode to masturbating away the bad things that happen in the world (since there's a lot of political references in the song, too).

Bob
09-01-2006, 12:41 AM
I love the Internet ... so much useful information.

Alizée's the reason God made hips.

lol... i agree

aditya8617
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
What a complex song with simple lyrics!

General Patton
09-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Ok ... "goldfish". I love the Internet ... so much useful information.

I, too, was curious about the "goldfish", after I saw the popular "J'en Ai Marre" vid and the fish on the hip. Alizée's the reason God made hips.

Anyways ... after reading a few lyrics translations, connected with the strategic placement of the fish on the shorts, it was fairly obvious what Mylene meant when she wrote the song. But what was the linguistic connection ? How do you associate "goldfish" with ... :o , that ?

So, we all know the literal translation of the lyric isn't "goldfish", but "red fish", ("poisson rouge", I believe). I g**gled for an on-line slang dictionary, something to tell me what "goldfish" has to so with European (especially French) vernacular slang. What I found was that "goldfish" itself relates to several slang terms, the most notable was the word used to refer to "a turgid goldfish" - a female goldfish that is swollen and ready to lay eggs : twat.

Yup. T-W-A-T. Twat. Slang for "a turgid goldfish".

Uh ... huh. Well, then ... :p NOW the lyrics make much more sense. The whole "under me" thing and the sensual nature of the song and the ... ahem ... choreography... well, it all falls into place. That Mylene :p ... I do love a woman with a dirty mind ! (Or at least I'd like to, anyways, from time to time.)

(By the way, for all the Monty Python fans out there, the slang term for the male goldfish that fertilizes the eggs after they're deposited is a "twit". Whooda thunk it ?.)

I never thought of that now the sound makes much more sense...

General Patton
09-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Yeah, some people have interpreted the song as an ode to masturbating away the bad things that happen in the world (since there's a lot of political references in the song, too).

I think its more then some people Greg...

Urb4n
09-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Personally, I always figured that the goldfish symbolized how she was trapped in a glass prison, looking out, but carefree all the while. Deep, but not too deep.

mibir
09-02-2006, 12:58 AM
Personally, I always figured that the goldfish symbolized how she was trapped in a glass prison, looking out, but carefree all the while. Deep, but not too deep.

I forgot which interview it was but Alizee says something along the same line. Besides, it doesn't surprise me patton would take it that way. :rolleyes:

DJ_Greg
09-02-2006, 01:16 AM
I forgot which interview it was but Alizee says something along the same line. Besides, it doesn't surprise me patton would take it that way. :rolleyes:

That's the message of the video, at least.

mibir
09-02-2006, 01:18 AM
That's the message of the video, at least.

Alizee would never sing a song about masturbation, absurd!

Greg, come chat :)

DJ_Greg
09-02-2006, 01:20 AM
mibir!

(That is how I will respond to every post of yours)

rwd716
09-02-2006, 07:00 AM
The music vid suggests she's in a prison, but the live performances suggest "Masterbate." Didn't Lili say in an interview that her songs usually have two meanings? I think so.

RMJ
09-02-2006, 08:43 AM
So, we all know the literal translation of the lyric isn't "goldfish", but "red fish", ("poisson rouge", I believe).
"Poisson rouge" IS "goldfish" in English. Literal translation of course is red fish but you cannot literally translate French to English. There is no other word for "goldfish" in French.

And no, the lyrics doesn't even mention "poisson rouge" ! The lyrics of the song says "poisson bouge" ! Which of course is word play. It gives you the idea of the poisson rouge but it also tells you what the poisson rouge is doing ("bouge" is verb and means "to stir").

Keeping in mind that she's on bubble bath, relaxing, and her "goldfish" is stirring and she's wrapping it tenderly, it's not hard to imagine what double meaning is behind Mylène's words. She's known of these.

Also notice the end of the song.

Pas de secousses sismiques...
Je me prélasse
Et me délasse
C'est mon état aquatique
Y'a comme un hic

After long try, she didn't manage to get her "seismic tresours", so she relaxes and starts to bath...

Even the English version of the song supports this, not with so straight words, tho. Maybe that's why Mylène felt like addings some more moaning in it... to make the thing clear...

But one should not forget that this is just one interpretation of the double meanings. In fact, the goldfish in this song can have even triple meaning. Mylène is amazing with wordings...

brad
09-02-2006, 11:49 AM
And no, the lyrics doesn't even mention "poisson rouge" ! The lyrics of the song says "poisson bouge" !

and I always thought that was a typo, lol ... i even changed the lyrics on this site. I learn something new about Alizee every day :)

RMJ
09-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Mylène's "typos" rarely are typos. :wink:

But it's easy to hear from the song itself. Just try it out. Stay attension on her pronounciation. It's clearly "bouge".

Altho... She does pronounce the end of the word wrong. :) But it's done for better rhyming with other lines. It (both, rouge and bouge) should be pronounced as one syllable, but Alizée pronounces it as two. If you compare it with the other lines at the start of the song, you'll see that they all ends similar way (except "j'en ris" and "lui dit"... which again rhymes with each other).

Bob
09-02-2006, 09:46 PM
haha you learn somthing new every day....

mini.mac
09-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Don't you love French?

It's been called the sexiest language not just by how it sound.

General Patton
09-03-2006, 10:41 AM

Why does it not surprise you???

Justin
09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
lol wow this is like the most confusing thread I have seen yet lol I have no CLUE what the song "Je'n Ai Marre" is about :confused: I never understand what songs are about lol and im sure its not about masterbating lol

SilentFox
09-25-2007, 10:53 AM
just listen to her English version of the song it all there what you want to know

JCC
09-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Um, wow...talk about old. This thread was almost 1 year old. I guess there's not much to talk about.....YET!!

rwd716
09-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Tell me the meaning to any Mylene song, lol.

Justin
09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
I already heard the english version. I still have no idea what the songs about lol actually.... I have no idea what any of her songs are about lol

RMJ
09-25-2007, 12:06 PM
lol wow this is like the most confusing thread I have seen yet lol I have no CLUE what the song "Je'n Ai Marre" is about :confused: I never understand what songs are about lol and im sure its not about masterbating lol
If you don't know what the lyrics means, how do you know it isn't about masturbating ?

There's more than enough clues to support that meaning. But it's not the only meaning.

kdc300z
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
How do you know that she says Bouge? There are definitely 2 meanings to the song I believe. But how do you know for sure she is saying bouge? You can't tell me you can see it in her lips when shes singing.:confused:

lowbeam
09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
The CD Mes Courants Electriques.

The lyrics are in the booklet included: "Mon poisson bouge"

Do not get involved in a land war in Asia, do not go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line, and do not argue with RMJ about anything regarding Alizée. He knows.

SilentFox
09-25-2007, 01:52 PM
dam right, you have a question about Alizee and her music you go to brad or RMJ haha

RMJ
09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
How do you know that she says Bouge? There are definitely 2 meanings to the song I believe. But how do you know for sure she is saying bouge? You can't tell me you can see it in her lips when shes singing.:confused:
Maybe because you can hear her singing so ? (Have you ever listened to the song ?)

Maybe because you can see it from every TV performance she had ?

Maybe because you can see and hear her singing so in her music video ?

Maybe because you can see and hear her singing so in her concerts ? (just watch the DVD)

And maybe because you can read it from the lyrics of the song pressed on millions CDs, singles, promos, and what else... ?

kdc300z
09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Why are you being a jerk? I saw the lyrics in the MCE and confirmed enough said ok? Don't be a d!ck.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
09-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Why are you being a jerk? I saw the lyrics in the MCE and confirmed enough said ok? Don't be a d!ck.

He was actually just answering your question...

Deepwaters
09-25-2007, 04:46 PM
No, actually he was being obnoxious. He's also wrong on a couple of points. On several of the performances, her lips are in the position of saying the "r" sound not the "b" sound, and as for hearing it, no, you can't hear the difference.

It is true that the printed lyrics on the MCE album insert say "bouge." It is not true that the meaning is as unequivocal as RMJ is suggesting. And it is also true that "poisson rouge" fits the self-pleasuring subtext better than "poisson bouge" does, because "poisson rouge" is slang for a clitoris.

This is Mylène Farmer we're dealing with, remember: mistress of double-meanings and suggestive naughtiness. So in one sense or another, both words are correct. Actually, the fact that the "official" word is "bouge" supports the idea of that masturbatory subtext, because Mylène seldom comes right out and says things up front, e.g. her refusal to allow Julien to change "chat" to "chatte" in ML. As with ML, in JEAM the idea is to have multiple layers of meaning.

heyamigo
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
lol...knowing RMJ, he went easy on you, kdc. you're lucky he didn't tear you apart like some people.

i'm sure mylene told her to make it look like she was saying rouge since she slapped on the goldfish on her ass. i'm not so sure alizee knew what it really meant though. but very clever antics on mylene's part.

Deepwaters
09-25-2007, 05:10 PM
i'm not so sure alizee knew what it really meant though

I've heard that suggested but I just can't believe it. She grew up speaking French, including all the slang stuff and typical school-kid talk (up to age 16 anyway, after that she dropped out of school). How could she not have known?

RMJ
09-25-2007, 05:51 PM
No, actually he was being obnoxious. He's also wrong on a couple of points. On several of the performances, her lips are in the position of saying the "r" sound not the "b" sound, and as for hearing it, no, you can't hear the difference.
Yeah right... :rolleyes:

I have even made several animations clearly showing what she says. Find them while you aren't too busy.

It is true that the printed lyrics on the MCE album insert say "bouge." It is not true that the meaning is as unequivocal as RMJ is suggesting. And it is also true that "poisson rouge" fits the self-pleasuring subtext better than "poisson bouge" does, because "poisson rouge" is slang for a clitoris.
Eh... Forgot to read the thread ? Or did you not understand it ? It's clearly stated on first page by me that the line means both. But the line still goes "poisson bouge". It only suggest the "poissoin rouge". Which is picked up by many, excatly like I said, it's a word play. On the otehr hand, you can read it: "poisson rouge bouge". She just said it with two words.

brad
09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Do not get involved in a land war in Asia, do not go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line, and do not argue with RMJ about anything regarding Alizée. He knows.

haha .. man that is weird, I was just trying to remember that quote today at lunch when a girl was talking about the princess bride

espire
09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
It's been four years, and Mylène's work is still causing the same effect that it was obviously written to cause.

Deepwaters
09-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I have even made several animations clearly showing what she says.

I've seen them. I don't agree that it "clearly shows" anything of the kind.

It's clearly stated on first page by me that the line means both.
Then there's no need to be so vehement, to the point of insulting people, in claiming that it only says "bouge," is there?

RMJ, this is a trivial disagreement as to the word itself. Your own approach is what makes it serious.

CFHollister
09-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh god... it's the "rouge" vs. "bouge" argument again:rolleyes:

RMJ
09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
I've seen them. I don't agree that it "clearly shows" anything of the kind.
Look again.

Then there's no need to be so vehement, to the point of insulting people, in claiming that it only says "bouge," is there?
Well, should I lie then ? Ok fine... It says poisson mousse...

espire
09-25-2007, 07:26 PM

You know... I think we should stay away from that idea.

There are minors around.

Tye
09-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Look again.

You know... I think we should stay away from that idea.

There are minors around.

I am not a minor, what does poisson mousse mean?

fsquared
09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
I am not a minor, what does poisson mousse mean?

Isn't that the stuff that you make by mixing fish with creme fraiche and some spices (often pink and made with salmon)?

http://forum.aufeminin.com/forum/f474/__f3_f474-Mousse-de-poisson.html

I think someone's trying to make another innuendo but I don't know what it is.

Tye
09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Isn't that the stuff that you make by mixing fish with creme fraiche and some spices (often pink and made with salmon)?

http://forum.aufeminin.com/forum/f474/__f3_f474-Mousse-de-poisson.html

I think someone's trying to make another innuendo but I don't know what it is.

I think I know the other inuendo they are referring to, but I don't want to post it, because I don't want to get in trouble. But now that it has been mentioned I want to know if the other inuendo I am thinking of is what they are thinkg of.

espire
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Um... right, I think I'll retract my statement now :blink:

Anyway, somebody should close this thread. These arguments never go anywhere, there's no reason that this one will be different.

RMJ
09-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Lucky me I didn't mention poisson pousse...