PDA

View Full Version : Will U.S. radio stations be playing Alizée's music?

Scruffydog777
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM
If it's true that Alizée is coming to the USA, Will U.S. radio stations start playing her music, and when would they start playing it. I would think RCA would have the most control over this and I would think that they'd want to have some songs released pre concert to ensure more sales. Will they play some of her earlier songs or mainly focus on her latest cd? The plot is thickening!

The Cap
05-09-2008, 12:58 PM
If Alizée sets foot on U.S. soil to do a concert, best bet is that she'll be in Puerto Rico, Hawaii or maybe Guam. These are the only places in "the U.S." that she has any substantial fanbase - everywhere else, all she could get to go to her shows would be US, which wouldn't even close to fill up a mid-size hall.

And don't hold your breath waiting for "regular" U.S. radio to play any Alizée songs - broadcasters of the size that could make the difference wouldn't play ANYTHING whose lyrics aren't in English.

JCC
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
DJ greg, who used to come by here alot....don't think his been here lately, did play her music on the air for an indy radio station Back in the East coast, i think it was for college. Other than that, I don't think her music has even been played on Mainstream Radio...unless there is a MASSIVE promotion done by RCA to promote her US concert....then maybe it will be played.....we'll see.

Here's DJ greg's thread: http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=250

C-4
05-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I know a number of us have called, emailed, and otherwise gotten in touch with radio stations around the country. The ones in my area have rejected playing Alizée's music.

I have placed a Corsican curse on them for this dissing!
May their DJ's come down with laryngitis for weeks at a time, and a case of pink-eye, so as not to be able to read their on-air stuff!

Scruffydog777
05-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Thinking about it some more, I think "if" she ever comes to this country to do a show, the only way they would probably promote it is with some one minute commercials with short clips of her different songs and if afterwards, her show was a big success, only then would we see the possibility of her music being played on the radio.

RadioactiveMan
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
DJ greg, who used to come by here alot....don't think his been here lately, did play her music on the air for an indy radio station Back in the East coast, i think it was for college. Other than that, I don't think her music has even been played on Mainstream Radio...unless there is a MASSIVE promotion done by RCA to promote her US concert....then maybe it will be played.....we'll see.

I know a DJ for a late-night heavy metal show at a college and he plays Alizée when I tune in, but I can't imagine college shows having any widespread effect.

Infatuated
05-09-2008, 04:02 PM
I would love to attempt to help out with promoting her stuff to radio stations. I would think the best bet would be to try the colleges first, not sure how the will be received. There is an NPR station that plays indie and non-mainstream rock. But i think its affiliated with a college. That idea would bear more fruit than attempting to get the 4-5 Clear channel stations in my area to play her stuff. All those stations ever play is Ozzy Osborne, AC/DC and Van Halen (wooooopdeee doooo).

Ben
05-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I know a DJ for a late-night heavy metal show at a college and he plays Alizée when I tune in
Sounds like me a few years ago! :p

Tical 808
05-09-2008, 09:52 PM
If Alizée sets foot on U.S. soil to do a concert, best bet is that she'll be in Puerto Rico, Hawaii or maybe Guam. These are the only places in "the U.S." that she has any substantial fanbase - everywhere else, all she could get to go to her shows would be US, which wouldn't even close to fill up a mid-size hall.

And don't hold your breath waiting for "regular" U.S. radio to play any Alizée songs - broadcasters of the size that could make the difference wouldn't play ANYTHING whose lyrics aren't in English.

If she does come to Hawaii and some of you guys come, I can be the tour guid and translator :cool:

Tchaikovsky
05-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I can't ever imagine turning on my radio and hearing some Alizée. Sorry. :(

MonteCristo
05-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Hmmm....
Im Not Twenty and Lily Town are the closest we can get to decent english songs, and even those will only ruffle half a feather on the bald eagle.
Best bet would be to bring out very good translations of her hits, and then maybe they can actually attack the radio stations with it. Another possibility would be a surprise concert in a major city (yeah right, like any french director would agree with that idea on foreign soil where nobody has ever heard of you). Last idea would seem like a more reasonable one, Lily can go onto a popular TVshow and get interviewed or sing a song or two, like American Idol or sumthin

TheBarrett
05-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Intercept Satellite TV and Cable TV, and air Alizée's "La Isla Bonita" cover.

That'll get America just what it needs to order Alizée to come to the US.

rcs
05-10-2008, 12:46 PM
If she does come to Hawaii and some of you guys come, I can be the tour guid and translator :cool:

Might have to take you up on that brudda. :cool:

Future Raptor Ace
05-10-2008, 12:58 PM

She has more fans in New York and Los Angles than she does in Guam, Puerto Rico and Hawaii combined. There's more chance of her getting a full house here in NYC or LA than anywhere else. Last I check NYC and LA have the biggest US fan base, so I dont understand where your pulling in these US Providences from and thinking she would get more fans there? If she goes to the US, it will definitely be on the mainland. Im honestly willing to bet New York, as soon as I saw that 50 sixty video I took that as a hint, in fact I even made a topic on it, let me find it.................

edit http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=3661
there

rcs
05-10-2008, 02:25 PM
She has more fans in New York and Los Angles than she does in Guam, Puerto Rico and Hawaii combined. There's more chance of her getting a full house here in NYC or LA than anywhere else. Last I check NYC and LA have the biggest US fan base, so I dont understand where your pulling in these US Providences from and thinking she would get more fans there? If she goes to the US, it will definitely be on the mainland. Im honestly willing to bet New York, as soon as I saw that 50 sixty video I took that as a hint, in fact I even made a topic on it, let me find it.................edit http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=3661there
Gives me good reason to visit New York. Sadly enough, I've never been there. Would you be willing to be my traveling tour guide Ace? If she shows up in NY, I'd like to arrive early to see the sites. Hmmm....traveling within my own country for once, great concept, I like.

Future Raptor Ace
05-10-2008, 03:01 PM
^ Sure why not! It would be fun to show people around!

Amigo!
05-10-2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.yes.com/#Alizee

Rocket
05-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I would LOVE to go to NYC again. "Take me back to Manhatten. Take me back to the crowd. I'm just longing to see once more, my little home on the hundreth floor!" :p

The Cap
05-10-2008, 05:54 PM
She has more fans in New York and Los Angles than she does in Guam, Puerto Rico and Hawaii combined.

Now that I think about it, you're likely right on that one point. An L.A. show might be able to draw a few hundred to maybe a couple of thousand, if for no other reason than the proximity to Mexico. I'll concede your point for almost any location in southern California, and most medium to large cities in the southwest, like Phoenix, El Paso, etc. Texas has a few smaller cities that could support one of her shows in a mid-size arena or concert venue.

There's more chance of her getting a full house here in NYC or LA than anywhere else. Last I check NYC and LA have the biggest US fan base,

As I've already said, I have to concede L.A. as a definitely good possibility. New York is a completely different story.

As far as New York goes - or any major East Coast city, for that matter - there isn't a snowball's chance she could sell out a venue large enough to accommodate the size of show she would want to put on for large fan bases in Mexico, Europe and Russia. An arena on the East Coast - New York or any metropolis east of the Mississippi River - big enough for the show wouldn't come anywhere near selling out.

Without major radio airplay and some substantial retail history here in the U.S., her commercial position here would be worse than an emerging new domestic artist. She's not even a blip on any domestic music sales tracking chart - domestic product and other highly-financed British imports (read: English lyrics to songs) are the only music U.S. corporate-run radio wants to play, and the only musicians domestic record labels will support.

If you totaled up every mainland U.S. Alizée fan who would be willing to travel to a concert some distance from their home, you'd still have an almost immeasurably small percentage of the music-listening public. If you could find a way to magically transport every Alizée fan in the mainland U.S. to one large arena or concert venue located somewhere on the East Coast, maybe - and that's a huge long-shot MAYBE - you sell some seats for one concert. Barring that magical transporter device, there isn't an adequately sized venue on the East Coast that would even sell through to as much as 1/3 or, at best, 1/2 capacity. That means the people who finance the tour would likely be taking a loss on that show, and that's not good business.

Im honestly willing to bet New York,

Then that's a bet I'm dead certain you would lose.

If you want to carry on the pipe dream of some big New York or Chicago or even Dallas concert extravaganza, well then, you've got every right to dream. Personally, when I dream like that, I'm winning a $100,000,000 lottery or spending an all-expenses paid week with a dozen Playboy centerfold models at some luxurious island resort. You dream your dreams and I'll dream mine ... both have about the same odds of coming true.

Future Raptor Ace
05-10-2008, 07:21 PM
See you dont understand what im trying to say. Just because its in the Big Apple doesn't mean it has to be a big concert. There is something called the suburbs or the tri-state area. She could do a concert in the outskirts of NYC maybe 20 miles away or something like that ( Like in Jersey, which also has a huge Lily fan base) and still have that small venue you are talking about with the advantage of being near lots of her fans. Like for example a perfect place for her to do a concert, is in Staten Island (lowest population of the 5 boroughs in NYC) She can do it at Richmond County Bank Ballpark (where the Staten Island Yankees play) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_County_Bank_Ballpark Trust me, its very cheap to hold an event there, this is where my high school graduation is going to be held this June. Now this is just and example but you see where im getting at now?

Rocket
05-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Raptor is right. It doesn't have to be Shea Stadium. She could hold it at Radio City Music Hall or anywhere in the theater district. OOOO I just had a thought...have at the base of Lady Liberty. Nawww ferget about it! :p

Future Raptor Ace
05-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks Rocket. Shea ewhh Mets lol, nahh it should be at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx; just kidding. A Liberty Island concert I would like, but that would be sooo expensive and I dont even think its ever been done before. A central park concert, or one by the Freedom Tower construction site aka (ground zero) would be kool.

Infatuated
05-11-2008, 02:28 AM
Raptor is right. It doesn't have to be Shea Stadium. She could hold it at Radio City Music Hall or anywhere in the theater district. OOOO I just had a thought...have at the base of Lady Liberty. Nawww ferget about it! :p

Since the French have helped us out (i.e. financing the Revolutionary War and giving us the Statue of Liberty....i think it only fair we make every attempt to get an Alizée concert in the United States! :):):wub::wub::wub:

fsquared
05-11-2008, 03:07 AM
You know, niche artists have been known to do tours in the US in small venues....as a case study, the chalga stars like Gloria, Kamelia, etc. from Bulgaria occasionally make a US tour, hitting the Bulgarian expatriate centers (e.g., New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, Seattle, etc.) Sure, they don't sell out 50,000 ticket concerts like they do back home; they usually play restaurants (although they usually do a fair amount of that back home too). It can in principle be done, but whether it's in her cards or not is another story.

nightbug
05-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Yeah def. We all have to do everything we can to make this a reality. I'm worried that the US shows may be canceled if they don't sell enough tickets. What we should all do, is buy 5 tickets each, to the show that we are going to attend and give the others to potential fans.

lefty12357
05-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm really pissed at one of my local radio stations. They are a public station that is locally programmed and every Saturday night is all requests. I request Alizée every Saturday night and they never play her. I sent them her new CD so they can't say it's not available, and still they don't play her. Last night they played "A Cause Des Garçons" by Yelle, so I know they play French music. Maybe next Saturday I will post a link to their request page here and hopefully you guys will help me bombard them with requests. I have been requesting Fifty Sixty since it's Alizée's new single and seems to be well liked by most everyone.

I am also worried about a U.S. show being canceled, or for that matter, never even getting booked. Somehow we have to make the U.S. media take notice of Alizée to help generate some awareness and interest. RCA made the first move by mentioning a concert. Maybe the ball is now in our court to demonstrate that we are truly interested. They are probably waiting to see if her U.S. fans will make something happen, like what the fans did in Mexico.

nightbug
05-11-2008, 02:35 PM
YES, we all need to bombard our local radio stations with requests for Alizee.

Yelle is touring the US & Canada this summer. I'm not a huge fan of hers. But it's awesome to see a French artist get some recognition in North America.

I am a huge fan of Emilie Simon. And she has a US record deal now and toured the 10 major US cities as well as the major Canadien cities last year.

DON'T ever let anyone tell you that there is not a market for French music in North America.

I'm wondering whether RCA is planning to give Psychedélicés a US release. What they should do, is throw about 5 extra bonus songs on it, J'en ai Marre and Je Pas Vingt Ans as well as the American versions of those songs and of course Moi Lolita.

It does seem strange that an artist would tour the country when their cd's are only available as imports. Unless of course, she is playing only 2 or 3 shows in the cities with a large spanish population like Miami, Houston and Los Angeles. Which unfourtunately, is probably the case. I live in Western NY, so you can see why I'm rooting for a NYC show. It's only $99 and a 75 min flight to fly there on Jet Blue.

These are the cities that Yelle is playing:
22 : Seattle (USA) War Room
23 : Portland (usa) Wonder Ballroom
24 : San Francisco (usa) Independant
26 : Indio (usa) Coachella Festival
29 : Chicago (usa) Mansion
30 : Toronto Opera House
mai 2008
02 : Montréal (Canada) Club Soda
03 : New York (usa) Highline Ballroom

I would really love to see Alizee do a 10 city US tour and a 5 city tour of Canada. I would think Alizee would be close to the same level of poularity as Yelle is in the US right now. I've been to the Opera House in Toronto and it's gen admission, the capacity is about 450.

On amazon Psychedélicés is #36 in sales for French Pop. We need to get Alizee on the radio so these numbers start climbing!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a station here in Niagara Falls thats really big on pop / alternative and they play alot of 80s dance music on Saturdays. I think Fifty Sixty would fit perfectly into their playlist.

I can't post hyperlinks till I get 5 posts on here
but it's www dot river dot fm/

What we should do is this:

post a hyperlink to your local radio station and then we should all BOMBARD them with requests for Alizee!!!!

Someone did mention that Toronto has a radio station that plays French Music 24 hrs a day. I can't get it here but will look into it.

Let's get going..... let's show RCA were serious about getting Alizee to tour North America!!!!!!!!!!!!
Future Raptor Ace
05-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Since the French have helped us out (i.e. financing the Revolutionary War and giving us the Statue of Liberty....i think it only fair we make every attempt to get an Alizée concert in the United States! :):):wub::wub::wub:

I dont want to get into politics, but France kindve did turn their back on us. We already paid them back by bailing them out in WWII Normandy Beach D-day. They would be speaking German right now if it wasn't for us.

I do agree that we have to get Alizee here though
BTW i was trying to get you guys to do requests a month ago and you all know how that turned out!

Infatuated
05-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I dont want to get into politics, but France kindve did turn their back on us. We already paid them back by bailing them out in WWII Normandy Beach D-day. They would be speaking German right now if it wasn't for us.

This is a contradictory statement, by saying you don't want to get into politics. Then stating we bailed them out in 2nd World War, you've entered a political discussion.

But i agree, i don't want to get into politics. Besides you're 17 and know everything there is to know anyway, right? :p

Just a Guest
05-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Yes, for that same reason I still blame the Italians, the Scandinavians, the Spanish, the French and the Germans
for what they did in my country. ;)
Or should we call that "history"?:p

BTW i was trying to get you guys to do requests a month ago and you all know how that turned out!
No. Tell us all about it.

Future Raptor Ace
05-11-2008, 09:05 PM
No. Tell us all about it.
^It turned out to be a huge failure and a waste of time bro, it frustrated me a bit. Hopefully someone else can get it done this time

johnnywash
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Remember what was going on in our country when Alizee was appearing on French TV programs just about every week? We were invading Iraq with the strong disapproval of the French government. The right wing media with the likes of Bill O'Reily and Rush Limbaugh were trashing everything French. Remember "Freedom Fries" ? :mad: We missed our chance to get lily's music played on a large scale back then.
Most of us found Alizee on the Web while searching for "cute French Girl". God bless You Tube!
Lily's record company should get her to guest on one of the Network late night shows, we might then have a chance at a small U.S. Tour.
I still think a deal of some kind with Disney and something at Disney World is a good place to start.

Scruffydog777
05-12-2008, 01:58 PM
It still puzzles me why she never came to this country to perform. She's been to Russia, Japan, Korea, England, several European countries and now going to Mexico. I've heard several forum members argue that the potential market here isn't that big for her here which may be quite true but then on the other hand it could be huge. I think if her music had been played here years ago, she would have been a huge success. She didn't have to do a concert here, all she had to do was make one appearance on a show similar to the Top 40 that they have in Europe. That would have told her how well her music would go over here.
She's said she's a big fan of Madonna and Julia Roberts, so you would think she'd love to come over here, but I think someone must have poisoned her as to her feelings about the U.S. Maybe her parents, maybe Laurent or Mylene, maybe one of her friends on Corsica. Who knows!

alizee lover
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM

I think that new york has a big chance of seeing alizee she has some amount of fans you would be impress:D

alizee lover
05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
It would be awesome to have the radio play alizee :D but i doubt they will:o

lefty12357
05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
It still puzzles me why she never came to this country to perform. She's been to Russia, Japan, Korea, England, several European countries and now going to Mexico. I've heard several forum members argue that the potential market here isn't that big for her here which may be quite true but then on the other hand it could be huge. I think if her music had been played here years ago, she would have been a huge success. She didn't have to do a concert here, all she had to do was make one appearance on a show similar to the Top 40 that they have in Europe. That would have told her how well her music would go over here.
She's said she's a big fan of Madonna and Julia Roberts, so you would think she'd love to come over here, but I think someone must have poisoned her as to her feelings about the U.S. Maybe her parents, maybe Laurent or Mylene, maybe one of her friends on Corsica. Who knows!

A few things she’s mentioned are; she prefers to sing in French and she doesn't think that would go over well in the US, she is afraid of the “sharks” in the US music business, she’s afraid her career would become too demanding and time consuming if she got involved in the US market, and she said that the US music industry is on a whole different level. She seems to like a lot of things concerning the US and I don't think she is avoiding it for reasons other than the ones I mentioned.

My take on it is that she is not out to maximize her fame and fortune. She would prefer a career mainly in France that would keep her in the game, pay the bills and still allow her time for her family life. The fact that the reception to her new album has been lukewarm in France, suggests that she and her record company are now looking at international markets, so she may be reconsidering it. It’s hard to ignore what happened with Mexico. Without the international sales, her numbers wouldn't be looking too good right now.

I also think the “sharks” idea is somewhat out of date since the music business is run by multinational corporations nowadays, anyways. She may also be afraid of failing in the US market and she doesn’t want to be embarrassed by it. Between Alizée’s charm, stubbornness and overall sense of balance, I don’t think she has to worry about the US music industry getting the best of her. I think some appearances on TV in the US could at least boost her CD sales a bit, and that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I find it interesting that Mylene Farmer has all of the MCE songs listed with ASCAP, which is The American Society for Composers, Authors and Publishers. It makes me wonder if she did this just in case Alizée took off in the USA, or did Mylene consider a possible run at the US market with Alizée? I wonder if Alizée has made similar preparations for her Psychédélices songs. These organizations are the tool used to collect performance royalties from radio play. Unfortunately, it takes a long time for these songs to show up in the publicly searchable internet databases, so there’s no way of knowing at this point. So far, I’ve only found “Mon Taxi Driver” in the SACEM database, and that’s the French performing rights society!

Edcognito
05-13-2008, 10:14 PM

I do agree that we have to get Alizee here though

Oh jesus ace, don't go there. In 1940 the majority of US Army training was being done with wooden weapons for rifles and machine guns, cars for tanks, and our TOP of the line fighter was the Brewster (FREAKIN) Buffalo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Buffalo

We would have gone down JUST as fast, our troops weren't trained or equiped well enough to do more than trench warfare... Which the Germans in 1940 weren't fighting...

I would also remind you that France did a HELL of a lot for us to ensure OUR freedom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown

If the French Fleet hadn't prevented Cornwallis' retreat - who KNOWS how the war would have turned out? We might be speaking Kings English right now....

So lets not "France" bash... These guys "Légion étrangère" have been kickin' ass for about 50 yrs. less than we've been in existence....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion

AND we got a certain "landmark":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_liberty , that you may have heard of!

Other countries don't have to follow our foreign policy....

Ed:cool:

lefty12357
05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I couldn't agree with you more, Ed. Thanks for saying it.

Future Raptor Ace
05-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh jesus ace, don't go there. In 1940 the majority of US Army training was being done with wooden weapons for rifles and machine guns, cars for tanks, and our TOP of the line fighter was the Brewster (FREAKIN) Buffalo!

We would have gone down JUST as fast, our troops weren't trained or equiped well enough to do more than trench warfare... Which the Germans in 1940 weren't fighting...

I would also remind you that France did a HELL of a lot for us to ensure OUR freedom:

If the French Fleet hadn't prevented Cornwallis' retreat - who KNOWS how the war would have turned out? We might be speaking Kings English right now....

So lets not "France" bash... These guys "Légion étrangère" have been kickin' ass for about 50 yrs. less than we've been in existence....

actually your wrong, the best fighter we had in the beginning of the war was the P-40 Warhawk which is known as one of the best fighters of all time ;) The P-40s were the first thing put into the sky to chase after the Japanese Zeros at Pearl Harbor. Many great airmen lost their lives trying to be heroes and get their planes into the air, most where shot down during take off, before they even got off the ground; but the few that did make it into the sky where able to get a few Mitsubishi Zero kills. By the late years of WWII America came out with he P-51 Mustang which is considered the best aircraft that ever flew in our sky's. The Mustang was so good, it even flew in the Korean war, even though the propeller age was gone and the jet age was in. The Mustang would still find itself doing missions with one of Americas first operational Jet Fighters, the F-86 Saber.
2nd the troops we deployed in WWII are the finest troops America has ever deployed, America totally dominated both the war in the Pacific and the war in Europe. How can u say America wasn't well trained? Also I believe the US Navy, and Marines were in the war too, not just the Army! Wooden weapons huh? What do you think a Thompson or a B.A.R. (Browning Automatic Rifle) is made out of. Also just because the M1 Garand was made from wood doesnt mean it didn't kick a punch. Other countries, like Germany and France were still using bolt action rifles as their standard weapons. Sure Germany invented the MP-44 the worlds first assault rifle but it was way to expensive to produce, and give to all their soldiers. It was only given to officers.
3rd I was in no way bashing France. Im just saying we dont owe them anything, we paid them back by bailing them out in WWII. Just like France helped us get our freedom, we helped them get theirs back. May I remind you of Nazi controlled Paris and how gruesome it was! The American military I think was at its all time best, in WWII. That's why the US and Russia became Superpowers right after, not France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Italy, or Britain.
4th. The United States took the title of best Navy away from Britain in this dreadful war. Which is why we still have the worlds best Navy today!
5th. Look up the Manhattan Project, If America was so technology unadvanced like you imply, why and how where we the first to develop and use such a sophisticated weapon?
6th. The Americans hardly used trench warfare in WWII. We used flanking tactics, and pins by invading someone from all sides. Trench warfare is WWI buddy, it wasn't used that much by the Americans in WWII.
So I have no clue how you can in anyway slight the best Military unit ever demised, fighting the best and worst war mankind has ever fought in!

Fish
05-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Things started off quite poorly in North Africa. The reason why the war continued with us in a way it didn't with, say, France, is that our nation hadn't been overrun before our military could adapt to the enemy. What Ed said is we'd be in just as bad of shape as the continental European countries were we invaded in 39 and 40. It seems to me your problem with the French is that they didn't help us, and that we don't owe them anything; they don't owe us anything either. But we best keep it to history before things go where we shouldn't take them.

Besides, everyone knows the unending tide of Russians won the war anyways. :p

lefty12357
05-14-2008, 07:57 PM
FRA, I think you misunderstood some of Ed’s points, like about the wooden weapons.

My friends and I don’t keep track of who owes who, nor do we worry about being even. Our friendship and history together means we are in it for the long haul and we figure it all balances out over time. When my friend wants to do something that I think is wrong or stupid, and he asks for my help, I say no. He may be mad at me for a few days, but he knows that our friendship doesn’t require me to always agree with him or do things against my better judgment. A real friend should not expect another friend to compromise their principles. But we are there for each other when it counts. That’s the way I prefer to look at the relationship between France and the USA. There’s a lot of history there and I’m not keeping score on who owes who.

And now I've just realized how far off topic we've gotten.

DJ_Greg
07-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Well, there was also this thread (http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=365&highlight=Aliz%E9e+radio%21), but seeing as the links don't appear to work anymore, I guess that's irrelevant.

Crazy that's it's now been over a year since I did a show (and 6 months since I've been to these forums). Those were fun times.

TheBarrett
07-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Welcome back then. :D

C-4
07-11-2008, 07:36 AM

Well stated Ed!

Most of the U.S. radio stations are told what they have to play by their bosses or owners.

While we here would love to see Alizée not only come here, but do well, I feel that this country, at this point in time, has trained most of it's listeners to buy into what THEY want to sell, and not what may wind up being popular based on true fan desires.

As an example, when the Beatles were going full steam in Europe, and the parent record company for Capitol Records, E.M.I., requested on several occasions to play Beatles music in the states, Capitol Records turned them down, saying that american audiences would not go for that type of music. It took 3 number one releases by the Beatles and disc jockeys here playing Beatles music on their own to get the american record companies to concede to let Beatles music finally be played and sold here.
It is far more controlled now then at that time.

Personally, I feel that the French get bad press here and that this country thinks it's shit doesn't stink, while the rest of the free world basically is holding it's collective breath and hoping that we don't create mayhem for them. This is not due to the populace, but more what those in Washington, the elite group, want to do rather then listen to those who have voted them into office. This goes for both sides. They all seem to feel that they can do as they want too, and that we as citizens don't know a damn thing.

I am extremely pro-France since hearing Alizée 4+ years ago and becoming far less enchanted by anything we have to put up with here. I think anyone who has read, listened to or watched the news, and has their ears and eyes open, understands and knows what I am referring too.

I believe that regardless of what we might think as a forum, that Alizée is actually smart in her outlook on where she performs and how she conducts her life. Too bad more people don't follow her example on how they conduct their lives. Entertainment Tonight and the rest of those shows would be all but off the air.

OGRE
07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
There is an insufficient fan base in America to justify a performance here. Well, more precisely, there is an insufficient fan "mass" to support a performance.

I could see her dropping by at some venue (Doesn't RCA have an HQ in New York?) for autographs or a fan meet. This could serve multiple purposes:

1. Alizée gets a trip to the U.S. as a business expense.
2. She gets to meet with RCA Executives (it's always a good thing to meet face to face with your business partners).
3. Alizée and RCA can use the "fan meet" or "autograph session" to gauge grassroots support in the U.S.

Bottom Line: Most Americans want to hear English songs. Those of us who are willing to listen outside those bounds are few and far between.

The reason Alizée does so well in Russia, Mexico, and other countries is because those fans are generally more open to other languages than Americans. That's just the reality of our world today. There are disadvantages in having your native tongue become the language of worldwide commerce....that is often the only language you will ever need to do your business.....or listen to music.

There are also several cultural and political reasons why a French singer is accepted in Russian and Mexico and not in the U.S. But I don't want to go there as we will inevitably diverge into the political and cultural underpinnings and lose track of that which it supports.

C-4
07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
There is an insufficient fan base in America to justify a performance here. Well, more precisely, there is an insufficient fan "mass" to support a performance.

I could see her dropping by at some venue (Doesn't RCA have an HQ in New York?) for autographs or a fan meet. This could serve multiple purposes:

1. Alizée gets a trip to the U.S. as a business expense.
2. She gets to meet with RCA Executives (it's always a good thing to meet face to face with your business partners).
3. Alizée and RCA can use the "fan meet" or "autograph session" to gauge grassroots support in the U.S.

Bottom Line: Most Americans want to hear English songs. Those of us who are willing to listen outside those bounds are few and far between.

The reason Alizée does so well in Russia, Mexico, and other countries is because those fans are generally more open to other languages than Americans. That's just the reality of our world today. There are disadvantages in having your native tongue become the language of worldwide commerce....that is often the only language you will ever need to do your business.....or listen to music.

There are also several cultural and political reasons why a French singer is accepted in Russian and Mexico and not in the U.S. But I don't want to go there as we will inevitably diverge into the political and cultural underpinnings and lose track of that which it supports.

Nicely stated Ogre! While I think learning a foreign language is good to do and helps broaden a person's mind, I would definitely choose French to any other language. In HS, I was told that I would learn Spanish. I had no choice in the matter. It hasn't helped me at all. I am now trying to do my best to understand French. It would have been my personal choice, had I been given the opportunity to choose which language to study as a student.

RadioactiveMan
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Praise Alizée ! DJ_Greg has returned !

http://firstkids.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/worship.jpg

Fralizee
07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
US born Americans are not interested in other countries or their performers if the language is not English. Most of my coleagues don't even know European country locations, never mind their artists. Coming from Europe(the Netherlands) I grew up listening to songs and watching movies in different languages. Here, everything people know from birth is in English, so even a multilingual performer like Celine Dion refrains from singing in French here in the US. Alizee will never make it in the US, unless she sings in English and besides, the competition here is huge and nasty.

C-4
07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
US born Americans are not interested in other countries or their performers if the language is not English.

You are very correct, and unfortunately for these types of people, they don't know what they are missing out on.

Fralizee
07-11-2008, 01:48 PM
I would hate to see Alizee get hurt by the American media who, I'm sure, would have a field day with her.
Let her perform in countries that she feels, are appreciating her, rather than trying to make her way into a country that is oblivious to artists from outside its borders.
Just consider the word "World Champions" as we call our US baseball , football and basketball champions. What world other than the US and Canada did they compete with?
As long as this kind of ignorence exists, foreign , non English artists will have a hard time making it here in the US.

OGRE
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I still sometimes wonder if Les Mots (it's a Mylene song) could crack the U.S. It has Mylene singing in French and Seal singing in English. There is some precedence for American acceptance of songs that mix English with another language. Adding to the possibilities is the French portions of Les Mots are relatively easy to comprehend (several words are phonetic cousins to their English counterparts) once someone points them out. And the flow of the song is slow enough that the words (linguisitic pun intended) are easy to follow.

For those who haven't heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyPTj-fjfck

mibir
07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
GREG ! It's been so long :(

And Fralizee, I've often thought about that same thing. How can they call themselves "World Champions". By the way, we mustn't forget that we have a very large portion of our population that not only wouldn't listen to foreign music, they HATE the French.

TheBarrett
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
...they HATE the French.

...and have no idea why they hate the French, but their little minds tell them to hate them!

:blink:

DJ_Greg
07-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Praise Alizée ! DJ_Greg has returned !

GREG ! It's been so long :(

Hey! How have you guys been?

Topaz
07-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Bonjour DJ Greg!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/sml.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/wav.gifhttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/small-1-1.gif

Tical 808
07-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Topaz, you have the best sigs and pictures. Do you ever run out? :p I see a new one every post.

Topaz
07-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Topaz, you have the best sigs and pictures. Do you ever run out? :p I see a new one every post.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/merci.gif
I adore pictures,finding them + taking them. ;) I might run out sooner or later. :)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/self07.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/small-1-1.gif

TheBarrett
07-11-2008, 08:11 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/merci.gif
I adore pictures,finding them + taking them. ;) I might run out sooner or later. :)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/self07.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/small-1-1.gif

Doubt it. :p

Topaz
07-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Doubt it. :p

It's possible. ;)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/DG.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m301/alizee_1984/small-1-1.gif

Back to topic:

Many many calls might get the songs on the air. One can only hope. :)

Martin
07-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Haven't I Muvrini performed concerts in US? I think I read that somewhere. They are from Corsica and they sing in their native language. Though they fall into the ethnic category that seems more acceptable than "french pop" perhaps. That duet with Sting might have helped also.

TheBarrett
07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I think her start should be a performance cameo role in a movie. Sort of like Cannibal Corpse in Jim Carrey's "Ace Venture 2".

I'm sure several if not a lot of celebrities have heard of Alizee. I know Johnny Depp would have a huge chance of hearing her considering he lives in France and is married to a French singer (albeit Vanessa Paredis).

Sir Wood
07-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Well, there was also this thread (http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=365&highlight=Aliz%E9e+radio%21), but seeing as the links don't appear to work anymore, I guess that's irrelevant.

Crazy that's it's now been over a year since I did a show (and 6 months since I've been to these forums). Those were fun times.

Dang dude, long time no hear, what's up!!! BTW, I've all your shows downloaded on my work computer. Unfortunately, I've no place to host it for streaming. Perhaps I'll pack it into one file and make the download available. ;)

DJ_Greg
07-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Dang dude, long time no hear, what's up!!! BTW, I've all your shows downloaded on my work computer. Unfortunately, I've no place to host it for streaming. Perhaps I'll pack it into one file and make the download available. ;)

Hey! I'm doing pretty well. You?

Unfortunately, I also have no place to host those files. It would be great if you wanted to package them into a zip/rar - I'd post the link on the main page of the old thread - but don't feel obligated! Altogether, the Alizée-featured shows (#32-55) are over a gig in size. That's a lot to download.

(Potentially interesting side-note: It seems I never posted the last two shows I did. It's possible that was because I didn't play Alizée songs, but at this point I can't remember. It was over a year ago, after all...)

puffyrock2
07-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I think her start should be a performance cameo role in a movie. Sort of like Cannibal Corpse in Jim Carrey's "Ace Venture 2".

Perhaps Cannibal Corpse could put her in a music video of theirs. She would make a beautiful zombie.

NarutoSoul
07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
*sigh* I hate living in this crude country... It's not really radio, but some of Alizée's songs should appear in the Singstar games, they are both Sony, after all.

NarutoSoul
07-18-2008, 06:19 AM
I can't wait for the day I can move out of this country... >:'( I can't stand the populace or the leadership... One thing's for sure, I will not be raising my children here.

TheBarrett
07-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I can't wait for the day I can move out of this country... >:'( I can't stand the populace or the leadership... One thing's for sure, I will not be raising my children here.

:) Raise them in Amsterdam :D

NarutoSoul
07-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I dunno if my fantasy Corsican wife would like that. Plus, I wouldn't want my precious children, Lili Cosette and François Philippe, to be exposed to drugs, would I?

TheBarrett
07-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I dunno if my fantasy Corsican wife would like that. Plus, I wouldn't want my precious children, Lili Cosette and François Philippe, to be exposed to drugs, would I?

Hmm, those are potential names, my fantasy Corsican wife would have two children named Sylvain and Jean-Piére.

But other than pot and hookers, it's a nice city. :p
I'd raise them in Bordeaux or Bastia.

NarutoSoul
07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Nice names, but I like mine better. :p

wasabi622
06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
ok.. so what exactly went down in mexico?? is there anything that the mexican fans did that we aren't? and i agree with the statements that all Alizee forums and such should work together!

Alex
06-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah man we have done some work towards promoting Alizee in the U.S., but nothing like what the Alizee mexican fans have done over there, we really have to look up to those guys. They worked hard to promote her throughout Mexico and their result was having an Alizee Tour, autograph sessions, and more.
I mean look at what these guys have been up to!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb_vWDysSFE&feature=related
promotion begins at 1:18 min in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gosyNj8Bc

That is a just a part of how hard these guys work and didicated they are.
But we can accomplish the same but the thing as we have said before we have to get organized and WORK TOGETHER!

Amigo!
06-29-2009, 11:58 PM
They do play her near where I live quite often... Well sort of, they do play the same song... Guess which one. :rolleyes::p

http://www.yes.com/#Alizee

But things might change soon around here... We'll see :cool:

SimonH
06-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Intercept Satellite TV and Cable TV, and air Alizée's "La Isla Bonita" cover.

That'll get America just what it needs to order Alizée to come to the US.

Ye it will.

wasabi622
06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah man we have done some work towards promoting Alizee in the U.S., but nothing like what the Alizee mexican fans have done over there, we really have to look up to those guys. They worked hard to promote her throughout Mexico and their result was having an Alizee Tour, autograph sessions, and more.
I mean look at what these guys have been up to!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb_vWDysSFE&feature=related
promotion begins at 1:18 min in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gosyNj8Bc

That is a just a part of how hard these guys work and didicated they are.
But we can accomplish the same but the thing as we have said before we have to get organized and WORK TOGETHER!

wow. he's either freakishly dedicated or.. yeah. i mean, to walk around with a sign saying "IM A FAN OF ALIZEE"?

kudos brother, kudos to ya.

edgar93
07-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Some of the Toronto Radio Stations:

CHUM FM 104.5
http://www.chumfm.com/Contact/ContactUs.aspx?songid=1

CIUT FM 89.5
http://www.ciut.fm/contact.php

JACK FM 92.5
http://kiss925.ca/forms/signup.html

VIRGIN 99.9
http://toronto.virginradio.ca/contactus

We should have a directory :)...

VVVACCPLPNLY
06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
The short and sweet answer to this thread has finally been reVealed: YES!!!

Fèvier
06-11-2010, 04:46 PM
The short and sweet answer to this thread has finally been reVealed: YES!!!

I think the word is actually: OUI!!!!! :p

User22
06-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Mission accomplished:D Thanks to Scruffy and others:)

Marquis<3Alizée
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Some of you who are doubting the fact that they won't play any Alizée music on the radio. Just give them "Limelight" they'll play that. I think a lot of people would like it it's got that 80s elctronic pop to it.

Edit:

wow. he's either freakishly dedicated or.. yeah. i mean, to walk around with a sign saying "IM A FAN OF ALIZEE"?

kudos brother, kudos to ya.

BAM! That's the perfect idea we all or some of us should go around and make signs saying "I am a fan of Alizée" or it could be " I am a fan of Alizée and you should be one to" IDK I think it'll work.

ptjmwa
07-06-2010, 03:02 PM
it also doesn't help that americans don't really like foreign music.

MYGOGT
07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
it also doesn't help that americans don't really like foreign music.
Funny how true this is. I was camping last weekend and put En Concert in the CD Boombox and I heard comments like WTF? Oh, that's your French girl isn't it?
But after a few songs I was hearing things like..."I can't understand any of it but she sure sounds good."
So, I think one can get past the negativity if they turn off their brain and just listen for a while.

VVVACCPLPNLY
07-06-2010, 10:29 PM
And speak of the devil! Lol I was just saying the L'e-mail thread I hadn't seen you in a while... Anyways, I also agree. When I have managed to get someone to shut up with their complaints about not understanding her, if they enjoy pop, I have never had a negative response.