PDA

View Full Version : My Version of J'En Ai Marre

ImRawdg
06-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Hello everybody. I have spent last night and all of today working on my own version of J'en Ai Marre. And I found out in the process: Even a decent sound is very, very difficult to achieve. It has a few flaws, mainly because me and metronomes don't seem to get along very well. Also, a few comments/things to keep in mind:

I only spent a day on this

This is instrumental

It is NOT meant to parallel the original version

I only had one mic, so each drum had to be recorded on its own track, and they are a bit imprecise at times; in the end this was probably a good thing

I am a terrible keyboard player, terrible acoustic guitar player, but I suppose I may be a halfway decent bass player

The beat for this song is NOT my style and feels a bit awkward to play (strange to say I am a prog rocker)

It is a bit long and has a long intro, sorry.

Here is the link:

J'En Ai Marre (ImRawdg Version) (http://www.mediafire.com/?h2xcggdylnn)

Zack -Alizee Lover-
06-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Well being that im a J'en ai marre fan and this seems to be ur first try... i gotta say i love it.

The piano just makes it better and it matches.

This song+remembering the concert just makes me shiver...

ImRawdg
06-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Haha, I am kind of nervous because I have never done anything like this before...I have this weird feeling I'm gonna get flamed or something.

fatman
06-21-2008, 03:14 AM
dude that was amazing! Listening to it a second time now!

Ruroshen
06-21-2008, 03:16 AM
A very well-done first attempt, sir. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

tbailey
06-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Haha, I am kind of nervous because I have never done anything like this before...I have this weird feeling I'm gonna get flamed or something.

wow! great job
just listened to it
sounds great!

it has such an easy listen to it
i like the last part

don't worry about getting flamed
i posted some weird stuff and nothing bad has happened :p

LeFantôme
06-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Haha! You took a fun song and made it even more fun! Bravo! :D

Bill Seals
06-21-2008, 04:32 AM
Absolutely loved it; thought it was amazing. I'm going to be hooked onto this one for a while. Puting it on my mp3 player now.

-Ryan Needs Alizee-
06-21-2008, 04:45 AM
nice job I like it It's sweet

Kaptain Kurse
06-21-2008, 07:52 AM
I like it. Good job!

jung_adore_ALIZEE
06-21-2008, 08:24 AM
being flamed happens

anyhow it is rather interesting beginning kind of made me think of convoy odd as it sounds and i really like what you did with the corus and who said pianos aren't cool psft

ImRawdg
06-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Hello again, thanks for the great response! I never expected so many people to reply already.

I wanted to try something I've never done before with this. I put my own influence onto some of the harmonies and in the completely new parts. It was quite an adventure (lots of problems with hardware). No input monitoring so I had to use a splitter to hook one end to the computer and one end to my bass guitar amp... which caused a slight buzz that you may or may not notice. And the reverb effect saved my life with this song too. I sound like a really bad drummer with the tracks separated like they are... I patched it up the best I could.

I am pretty satisfied with the result. I played the instruments pretty well even under the pressure of recording.

Once again, thanks for your great responses.

lefty12357
06-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I liked the intro. That was a good idea. I also really liked the rest of it. You should reward yourself by buying some more microphones and equipment.

As far as getting flamed, I don't think it matters how good of a job you do or how much experience you have, that fear will always be in the back of your mind each time you share a new piece of music with people. You just have to risk it and accept what comes. No matter how good your music is, there will always be someone who won't like it.

As long as you enjoying doing it, that's all that really matters. Keep it up!

C-4
06-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Hello everybody. I have spent last night and all of today working on my own version of J'en Ai Marre. And I found out in the process: Even a decent sound is very, very difficult to achieve. It has a few flaws, mainly because me and metronomes don't seem to get along very well. Also, a few comments/things to keep in mind:

I only spent a day on this

This is instrumental

It is NOT meant to parallel the original version

I only had one mic, so each drum had to be recorded on its own track, and they are a bit imprecise at times; in the end this was probably a good thing

I am a terrible keyboard player, terrible acoustic guitar player, but I suppose I may be a halfway decent bass player

The beat for this song is NOT my style and feels a bit awkward to play (strange to say I am a prog rocker)

It is a bit long and has a long intro, sorry.

Here is the link:

J'En Ai Marre (ImRawdg Version) (http://www.mediafire.com/?h2xcggdylnn)

You captured the essence of the song very well! It had feeling, the intro was not bad, works well in your version, and I got caught up in it, as I do the original.

It's not always how great a musician is, but how they interpret the song, which is all that matters. Congradulations.
Stephen

MonteCristo
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Honestly, do you have to care wether people like it or not? besides, your giving the music to Lilly fans, as long as its something good that you dedicated yourself to with an open heart and a mind to impress the audience, theres nothing you did wrong.

The Song: Second masterpiece of an Alizee song remake, Moi Lolita Techno Remix being the first
http://www.imeem.com/people/x8Uyn/music/3IdbWZ1U/alizee_mylene_farmer_moi_lolita_techno_remix/

The song started off with a gentle Mozart mystery to it, then biult up to something like a battalion marching into battle. Then that catchy beat comes into play, reminds me of the times me and my friends had over the many summers. Next the thing that probed my mind for the rest of the song, those strings, i think its a bass? And then you did something out of Moi Lolita, the piano(cello) popped into the song. Timing like that boosted your song by a whole lot IMO. Then the song reached its climax when everything started playing at once, and slowly eased to a rest, like it had a very exciting day and it wanted to go to rest in its bed.
BEAUTIFULL!!!

nurvonic
06-21-2008, 02:06 PM
eh, it was only just ok. :p

jk it was awesome. great job dude. you should try doing a version of lilly town ;)

fsquared
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought it was great; pleasant, melodic, and very soothing.

ImRawdg
06-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I am thinking about doing another song...but I don't know which one, but I probably need to start it tonight or I won't be able to get it done tomorrow. Because I need it done by then.

fatman
06-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Do JBG! Or even better JPVA

ImRawdg
06-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Here's my list of choices I think, I am picking songs that I believe may be doable:
(In order of how well I know them)

Toc De Mac
Par Les Paupieres
JPVA

I may even choose to do a medley, because there are some songs that I would love to do but I'm only interested in reworking a small part of it. In this case I may include songs like Juliette and 50/60. I think I may just try that, a medley, if anyone is interested? It may be quite long though, hope nobody minds.

fatman
06-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I am! Go do it now! Can't wait!

ImRawdg
06-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I think I will be doing just a combination of Toc De Mac and Par Les Paupieres. Those songs are somewhat similar; enough to make a good song and put in my own ideas. If I include too many songs, I will have less room to be unique. Plus I am short on time so I think this just might work.

SpeedShift
06-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Just wanted to jump out of my lurking status to let you know how much I loved this version of this song... I love piano music! Great job, music like this is so powerful it almost makes me cry. Dead serious. :rolleyes:
Thanks! I'll be tuned in for more! :)

ImRawdg
06-22-2008, 02:38 AM
Right now I'm about 1 minute into the new song, minus the drums, and I can tell already that nothing in it will hold a candle to J'en Ai Marre. At least at this point. So I guess I'm a bit disappointed in it so far.

TheBarrett
06-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Prog Rocker, well rock on man, that's my kind of stuff as well, I love your interpretation of it, I would have tried to reorchestrate JEAM but I am too hooked on the original to change it. Heck, take it from iTunes, i've played J'en ai Marre a total of 5640 times.

Anyways, try A Contre-Courant, any god-given bass player has to copy that lick and liquidize it a bit. :)
Give it a little bit of edge, a little slap, a little jazz, and of course add some piano, synths, and other bedazzlers, and you'll get yourself an emotional lovely version of ACC.

ImRawdg
06-22-2008, 10:53 PM
For those interested:

My Toc De Mac and Par Les Paupieres Medley is about half done, hopefully it will be done by tomorrow night. I is actually starting to sound better than I expected it would. It looks like it will be pretty long. I haven't even started the Paupieres segment and it's already 5 minutes...

TheBarrett
06-23-2008, 02:29 AM
For those interested:

My Toc De Mac and Par Les Paupieres Medley is about half done, hopefully it will be done by tomorrow night. I is actually starting to sound better than I expected it would. It looks like it will be pretty long. I haven't even started the Paupieres segment and it's already 5 minutes...

Longer the better, i'm working on a 15 minute version of Mlle. Julliette complete with guitar and keyboard solos and a long psychedelic entrance.
Prog rockers unite eh? :p

ImRawdg
06-23-2008, 03:46 AM
You should PM me when you finish it because chances are I won't find it :D

It seems like people here really like piano music. Well, I filled this one with piano, something like 3 or 4 different special melodies just for Toc De Mac. At first I had doubts, but this project is starting to get exciting! If it sounds good without the drums (J'en ai Marre didn't), then I can't wait to get it done and properly mixed. Toc De Mac doesn't seem to get much attention, but I fell in love with that song from the start.

TheBarrett
06-23-2008, 03:50 AM
It's hard being one musician doing all this, especially 15 minutes of it. :D
Considering I am very perfectionist about this, I can never resist to keep adding and adding to work that I haven't even finished.

I mean, i'm turning Mlle. Julliette into a prog metal epic with a riff similar to Dream theater's "As I Am". I've been recording whispered vocals to the Mlle. Julliette lyrics to dub under the original Alizée voice, so it gets sort of a Riders on the Storm effect, maybe even add a little overshadowing echo.

15 minutes+ is not gonna work well on my crap computer, i'll wait til I get a new one. :D

ImRawdg
06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
In case anyone hasn't found it, I just posted my next song, look for it on the forum. "ImRawdg: Toc De Mac and Par Les Paupieres"

Roman
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
As I said in the other thread, I like your songs. I was thinking this song would be good for an introduction to something. The beginning seemed a bit bizzare, however, once it moves into the normal JEAM music, the transition is very nice and seems to make sense at that point. That's kind of like what they did in her 2003 concert tour with the song.

wolfram0790
08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey man very good job with your songs (this and the other ones). They sound smooth and cool.

Congrats :)

wasabi622
11-23-2009, 03:25 AM
got me a bit on the intro, but once ya got rolling, pretty awesome!