PDA

View Full Version : ImRawdg: Toc De Mac and Par Les Paupieres

ImRawdg
06-24-2008, 12:21 AM
I have [painstakingly] created another song. This one is a combination of Toc De Mac and Par Les Paupieres. It begins with Toc De Mac, then about halfway through switches to Paupieres. Toward the end, there is a reprise of Toc De Mac, which is one of my personal favorite parts.

This one showcases a few piano melodies. Some are not in the foreground so you will have to listen for them. The drums were a nightmare this time around: the bass drum was off in many places so I had to fix as much of the problems as I could. I believe the problem is recording latency because the metronome and song are slightly off, so when I was making the final tracks, I didn't know whether to listen to the music or the metronome. So in this song, I may sound like a 6 year old drummer in places. The music is also a bit choppy as far as timing in a small number of places.

BUT, the music itself, when not considering all the timing issues, is okay. The songs are naturally not as catchy as J'en Ai Marre, so it may not strike you all as much as that song did.

This one is 10 and a half minutes, so you might fall asleep!

Here's the link:

Toc De Mac and Par Les Paupieres (http://www.mediafire.com/?jyjzi9tn1ty)

I have decided to include a lower quality version, so the file will be much smaller, because the one that's there now is a little big:

Lower Quality Version (http://www.mediafire.com/?hdbab7zxx90)

TheBarrett
06-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Fall asleep? Are you here to test my training as a prog rocker?

Longer! Longer! But overall it was very, very good. :)

E468807
06-24-2008, 12:47 AM
WOW :eek: I'm quite surprise how it came out. I like it alot definitely at the second half. Par les Paupieres is my favorite song on the album. Im listening to it while im studying. Nice work ImRawdg keep it up:D

tbailey
06-24-2008, 01:18 AM
great job

i like these types of remixes

the new La Isla Bonita - sounds like a monkey wrote it '

but your music has a classical music feel to it

i liked the transition b/w the songs

i would really like to have this on a cd :D

Ruroshen
06-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Well done, sir. I really dig this. I wasn't sure how well these two songs would mesh together, but you pulled it off beautifully. I love the transitions from one to the other, especially with the reprise of Toc De Mac at the end.

It's got a real orchestral quality to it, like a piece that would be used to close out a film as the credits roll. Very well done. It's going on my iPod tonight, for sure.

chazkimies
06-24-2008, 03:08 AM
it's awesome dude. it rocked!
great job, you might wanna mix other song too...

ImRawdg
06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I have uploaded a smaller file (lower quality). See above at the end of my first post for it.

fatman
06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
That was pretty cool. To do these remixes, do you have to play all the parts yourself and just put them together at the end?

I still love the JEAM one better though. I am listening to it right now and I think Lilly should have gone with something like your version instead of her current one. Your just sounds so much warmer and soothing.

ImRawdg
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
To do these remixes, do you have to play all the parts yourself and just put them together at the end?

I play most things on the keyboard, and then I copy and paste the passages where they need to go. But I play most of the bass guitar and drums through the whole song in one take. I have about 150 audio files for this song alone (including some mess-ups). J'en Ai Marre I think I had about 80 including mess-ups. So yes, I have to play every part myself.

Either way, this was all very hard to do, and it will be a while before I do another one.

TheBarrett
06-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I play most things on the keyboard, and then I copy and paste the passages where they need to go. But I play most of the bass guitar and drums through the whole song in one take. I have about 150 audio files for this song alone (including some mess-ups). J'en Ai Marre I think I had about 80 including mess-ups. So yes, I have to play every part myself.

Either way, this was all very hard to do, and it will be a while before I do another one.

What gear you got. I myself use a KORG OASYS for most of my creations, as for basses I have a Fender Jazz (just like most of Alizée's bassists), and Precision Bass. For drums, I have a Portnoy kit i'm working up, but not quite up to Mike's standards yet. :D

ImRawdg
06-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a Casio WK-3000 keyboard, nothing special. A Tama Swingstar drum kit, nothing special either. It has a Tama Artwood snare though, I like that part of it. Then I have a Fender Jazz Bass.

TheBarrett
06-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a Casio WK-3000 keyboard, nothing special. A Tama Swingstar drum kit, nothing special either. It has a Tama Artwood snare though, I like that part of it. Then I have a Fender Jazz Bass.

Tama Artwood snare, yeah i've loved those forever, I might try to find one later on just to add it as a piece.

neoific
06-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Here are my critiques as a picky project-studio owner:

At 00:00:58:00 where the second synth comes in, try to do it in a split keyboard next time. It is pretty obviously off, and it'd be easier to just do a split keyboard and cut yourself in and out before/after that part.
The snare is a little too early in a few spots, enough for me to tell someone to do another take
The phase issue with your hihat distracts me
The snare needs more "pop" from the head, try a SM57 at 7 o'clock on the head, at around 20 degrees on the y axis.
Kick drum is lost entirely, move it closer to the head
The cymbals could use the mic being closer to the center, underneath. It'll get rid of some of your "live" sounding qualities.
00:06:30:00 the lead synth line, the modulation is a bit heavy. Just ease up a little on it.
Toms need more bass
It might be fun to use a brush at 00:08:15:00 instead of the water noises, just an idea
The electric guitar reminds me of a saxophone

Try some of this stuff on your next recording and it'll sound a whole lot better. You have the skills in playing/arranging, now let's get your recording up to par!

If you want you can call me if you have any questions. My toll-free number is +1.866.850.7557 extension 201. Anyone else can call me at any time too, I'll answer but I might say I'll call you back.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
06-26-2008, 01:25 AM
I loved it.

ImRawdg
06-26-2008, 01:42 AM
In response to Neoific:

I have almost no experience with any of this. I had to record the drums one by one because I have one mic. Recording latency causes the music and metronome to be off so the drums are confusing to record because I am sometimes listening to the music and sometimes the metronome. So yes, they are off sometimes and are way too time consuming to fix, although I do try. The modulation of that lead synth line is just a part of that patch, I couldn't control it, it didn't sound bad to me at the time. I have no idea how to place microphones on any drum and I just grabbed a mic and used it. I will take that advice, especially when I can get some drum mics. And I have zero skill at electric and acoustic guitar and I did what I could to the sound. The distortion in my software (Acid 4.0) sucks, and the guitar was kind of out of tune and I honestly don't like how that part turned out.

I do agree that brushes would have sounded good where you said, the idea to include the water was just the first thing I could come up with.
I'm no professional, I'm 16 years old, and I was in a hurry. My recording device is a little USB external sound card.

I am wondering what the meaning of a split keyboard is. I have never heard that.

TheBarrett
06-26-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm no professional, I'm 16 years old, and I was in a hurry. My recording device is a little USB external sound card.

And this is all that should be taken into consideration, unless you devote yourself completely to it like Petrucci-Portnoy style, then this is preferably a great job. Now you can only grow from this, sure it was a bit off, but without full analytical studying, hardly any is noticed, and it's all in due process of your musical journey. Hope to see you hit the charts one day if music is your passion, cause I sure as hell wanna be up there in the charts with ya. :)

Ben
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Just want to say that I really love this, especially the Par Les Paupieres part. Some of the sounds you use there remind me of the fantastic soundtrack to my namesake video game, Snatcher. :)

ImRawdg
07-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Well now I want to do a smaller project, I have been playing with the song "Idealiser" and I want to do a piano interpretation of it, with some synths in the background too. I am going to spend a day or so arranging it, but, being the beginner keyboard player I am, I may have to resort to sequencing it. However, with the two projects I've done so far, I have vastly improved my keyboard playing and realized I can create piano lines pretty easily. My computer is no longer in the basement and there are people in the house again, so I can't be doing anything with drums or anything. I have my eye on about $1000 worth of recording equipment in hopes of doing some decent recording, and doing more songs, maybe some originals. But working at a pizza restaurant won't make that money too quick. If I'm lucky, I may be able to get help from my parents but it's doubtful. I may decide against the idea entirely.

Roman
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I like these. I think the audio level was a bit low on this recording. Even though these are two different songs it still works fine putting them together. However, either I have a bad download or there's something wrong with this file which stops suddenly at some point.

Idéaliser
08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Once again this is awesome, good work, though it is a tad bit quiet it seems

and you like that flute huh? XD

mavsluver41
08-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I've already commented on how great I think all your interpretations are, but I just wanted to thank you for this wonderfully relaxing piece. I played the song while doing my physics homework and finished the assignment at like three-times the regular pace. Something about this version is very conducive to clearing the mind before diving into the drudgery of school work *sigh*. Anyway, the music made it just bearable enough, so once again thanks.

ImRawdg
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I've already commented on how great I think all your interpretations are, but I just wanted to thank you for this wonderfully relaxing piece. I played the song while doing my physics homework and finished the assignment at like three-times the regular pace. Something about this version is very conducive to clearing the mind before diving into the drudgery of school work *sigh*. Anyway, the music made it just bearable enough, so once again thanks.

Haha, thanks for the compliment!

I'm so glad I didn't take physics at my school. Good luck with it.

Roman
08-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Haha, thanks for the compliment!

I'm so glad I didn't take physics at my school. Good luck with it.
Ah! But physics is the most fun subject. Well, that and maybe music for some people, eh?