PDA

View Full Version : Songs and lip sync

snowowle
09-19-2006, 02:57 AM
I noticed that on the concert videos the text says:

"..Alizée sings LIVE (no lip synching).."

I realize that some performers do some lip sync, but does Alizee do more than usual so that it has to be noted when she isn't?

I would definitely hope not as I really enjoy her voice and songs. I also like when I hear songs performed slightly differently over time.

Please don't harsh on me too hard if I am stepping into a sensitive issue.
Just wondered. :)

Thanks.

Moe
09-19-2006, 03:07 AM
well...dancing an singing isn't easy...right...

but when when she does it live...its just amazing...

i read this alot around the alizee fan sites... that lip syncing is ok in europ and its used alot in TV shows and stuff

idk i find it ok :D

snowowle
09-19-2006, 03:20 AM
I definitely 2nd that thought about the live performances being amazing.

I quess I enjoy the singing (esp live) over the dancing.

Well, the videos/dancing are sexy and fun to watch too.

Also, when she comes out with new music there will be new video/dance steps for all of us to enjoy.;) Looking forward to both.

:p

brad
09-19-2006, 09:20 AM
basically all of her performances are lip synched, with the exception of the concert .. and a few random performances here and there.

it is really easy to tell when she is singing live ... because you are so use to hearing the studio recording, it is really obvious.

here is a live performance of moi.. lolita (probably the one you discovered)
http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=23

compared to the lip synched version, like the recent one posted
http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=64

aditya8617
09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Her best performance, live or not has to be the concert, that was quality dancing and singing, just loved it.

brad
09-19-2006, 10:49 AM
could you imagine being at that concert .. right in the front row as that big shoes starts to turn around at the beginning ... man i bet that was a great time.

RMJ
09-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I realize that some performers do some lip sync, but does Alizee do more than usual so that it has to be noted when she isn't?
Alizée doesn't lipsync any more than any other French singer. But she does lipsync 99% of her performances.

The performances she doesn't lipsync are:
ML in Star Ac 3
ML in TOTP Italy
ML in Korea
ML in Studio 22
ML in Eurobest (only latter part of the song)
ML in Amsterdam (only couple first lines)
ML after L'Alizé in Le Grande Hit (only couple lines with audience)
JEAM in Japan (only partial clip exists)
JEAM in SAD2003 (singing with Jess)
Les Enfoirés 2001 & 2002
En Concert

brad
09-19-2006, 11:40 AM
i think that ML in Korea is her best one (performance wise), I wish the quality was a little better though

DJ_Greg
09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Alizée doesn't lipsync any more than any other French singer. But she does lipsync 99% of her performances.

The performances she doesn't lipsync are:
ML in Star Ac 3
ML in TOTP Italy
ML in Korea
ML in Studio 22
ML in Eurobest (only latter part of the song)
ML in Amsterdam (only couple first lines)
ML after L'Alizé in Le Grande Hit (only couple lines with audience)
JEAM in Japan (only partial clip exists)
JEAM in SAD2003 (singing with Jess)
Les Enfoirés 2001 & 2002
En Concert

RMJ is like a walking Alizée encyclopedia.

aditya8617
09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
RMJ is like a walking Alizée encyclopedia.

Our Role Model, He should be! :D

O Rly
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
You know that he has an entire collection of the ACC stuff, singles, promos stuff like that. I think if we liked her as much as he does, we'd know that too. Just that imo, he's really really obsessed with her(aren't we all?), more than most of us.

riva2model64
09-19-2006, 03:50 PM
i think that ML in Korea is her best one (performance wise), I wish the quality was a little better though

Moi... Lolita in Korea rally rocked,
but I also rally much love the Moi... Lolita in Italy top of pops (she looks very shy and nervous in the beginning of that one, poor her, but she rally rocks as the song progresses)

Gatchaman has many of the rarer Alizée vids. . .
here's a link to ML Korea Live for those who haven't seen it (http://alizee.wordpress.com/tag/moi-lolita/)

ye RMJ I think is also one of her "originals"
oh *cry* oh *sob*

oh ye question: why is it called JEAM and not JAM?

NANAKI
09-19-2006, 05:00 PM
well...dancing an singing isn't easy...right...

but when when she does it live...its just amazing...

i read this alot around the alizee fan sites... that lip syncing is ok in europ and its used alot in TV shows and stuff

idk i find it ok :D

yeah I heard the same thing on you tube that it is okay in Europe to lip synch and often the shows that she appears on made her lip synch in order to get perfection

General Patton
09-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I didn't think that the one in korea wasn't all that special...

mibir
09-19-2006, 06:19 PM
oh ye question: why is it called JEAM and not JAM?

My guess is that J'en is a contraction and when it is spelled out it would make it JEAM. But, i'm not sure what it is spelled out or if i'm even anywhere close to the real answer.

brad
09-19-2006, 06:30 PM
but I also rally much love the Moi... Lolita in Italy top of pops (she looks very shy and nervous in the beginning of that one, poor her, but she rally rocks as the song progresses)

The best part of that video is at the end ... when she says thank you in english :)

Bob
09-19-2006, 06:35 PM
hmm RMJ knows so much about alizee...he also says he is from europe.. anyone seeing a connection? =)

RMJ
09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
I wish there were such connection. ;)

My guess is that J'en is a contraction and when it is spelled out it would make it JEAM. But, i'm not sure what it is spelled out or if i'm even anywhere close to the real answer.
Yup, you are right about it. It comes from Je En Ai Marre, which contracts to J'en Ai Marre. Some uses the JEM short for it but JEAM is more common.

aditya8617
09-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Moi..Lolita in the J'en ai marre outfit!

I think since te sun rarely sets in Finland RMJ barely sleeps and dedicates all his time to Alizee research, or maybe he is doing a Phd thesis on Alizee! So overall he is as crazy as all of us(I would hate to admit anyone is crazier than me).

NANAKI
09-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Moi..Lolita in the J'en ai marre outfit!

I think since te sun rarely sets in Finland RMJ barely sleeps and dedicates all his time to Alizee research, or maybe he is doing a Phd thesis on Alizee! So overall he is as crazy as all of us(I would hate to admit anyone is crazier than me).

Yeah definately the athority on Alizée in this forum thats all he does. I can just imagine it at work hes reading like 20 articles on Alizée when he is supposed to be doing work. After all on his profile it says he is a professional Alizée fan.

aFrenchie
09-20-2006, 08:29 AM
It comes from Je En Ai Marre, which contracts to J'en Ai Marre. Some uses the JEM short for it but JEAM is more common.
There are 4 words indeed. And if you want to keep only 3 of them, that should rather be JAM and not JEM.

RMJ
09-20-2006, 10:15 AM
I wish the sun would still keep up ! But winter is coming fast and sun is less and less up... When we reach mid winter, it'll be up only 4 to 5 hours a day where I live... :(

But what comes to that Ph.D... Maybe. ;) After all, there's a guy on AF who made graduate work, for master degree, on Mylène Farmer (and mentions Alizée in it ! ). :D

Yeah definately the athority on Alizée in this forum thats all he does. I can just imagine it at work hes reading like 20 articles on Alizée when he is supposed to be doing work. After all on his profile it says he is a professional Alizée fan.
Oh no... I don't have work anymore, I quit 3 weeks ago. So, all time is dedicated for Alizée now on. :) (well, little bit for studying, too...)

There are 4 words indeed. And if you want to keep only 3 of them, that should rather be JAM and not JEM.
Hehe, true. Mistyped it. Never use the shorter form myself. :)

O Rly
09-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I wish the sun would still keep up ! But winter is coming fast and sun is less and less up... When we reach mid winter, it'll be up only 4 to 5 hours a day where I live... :(

How far north in Finland do you live? Where i live, the sun's up for about 6 hours or so at winter. It sets at about 4PM, rises somehere around 10AM.

RMJ
09-20-2006, 03:05 PM
In Oulu, ~100km to south from Polar Circle.

I quickly tried out with software to give the exact time for the length of the shortest day (22nd of December), and it gave result: 3 hours 35 minutes (rises 10:29 and sets 14:04).

Today the sun is (was actually) up 12 hours 27 minutes.

At the summer, the sun is shining practically 2 months straight, without getting dark even at midnight...

aditya8617
09-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Do you have a particular time during the year when all day long it feels like it is early evening?

General Patton
09-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Wow I would lose it if the sun was up all the time...

mal
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
basically all of her performances are lip synched, with the exception of the concert .. and a few random performances here and there.

it is really easy to tell when she is singing live ... because you are so use to hearing the studio recording, it is really obvious.

here is a live performance of moi.. lolita (probably the one you discovered)
http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=23

compared to the lip synched version, like the recent one posted
http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=64

As I began to realize that a lot of her performances are lip synched I began to worry that she had no real voice but rather a "studio" voice, tweeked to make her sound great. Ive seen many live concerts and thought "wholly cremoly they sound terrible".

Watching the live version which you link here she sounds great and should dump the lip synching. Especially if its common in Europe. She would stand apart from the fabricated reproductions.

Just my 32 cents.

RMJ
01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Watching the live version which you link here she sounds great and should dump the lip synching. Especially if its common in Europe. She would stand apart from the fabricated reproductions.

It's not her decision to stop lip syncing on TV. She has no power in TV production.

It's common thing to lip sync in TV shows. Very few exceptions exist. And those exceptions are usually the shows that are broadcasted in real time, live.

CFHollister
01-05-2007, 04:58 PM
As I began to realize that a lot of her performances are lip synched I began to worry that she had no real voice but rather a "studio" voice, tweeked to make her sound great. Ive seen many live concerts and thought "wholly cremoly they sound terrible".

Just my 32 cents.

Except that she doesn't always sound great without the lipsyncing... I tend to think that it's a function of how much dancing she has to do at the same time. For example, in the concert performances of J'en Ai Marre, and in particular J'ai Pas Vingt Ans, she tends to sing flat IMO. Also after any J'ai Pas Vingt Ans performance that has an interview after it, you can tell that Alizée is slightly winded. So for the most part I might agree with you, but as for the more dance heavy perfotrmances, the pre-records tend to sound better. Not that I'm trying to criticize Alizée at all; I just don't think it's quite humanly possible to both sing to the best of her ability and do some of those more involved dance routines at the same time.

sting87
01-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Has anyone here tried singing (a proper song with a beautiful melody unlike rap) while walking really fast. Well if you didn't it really gets you tired within seconds. And dancing is a lot harder than walking, which is probably the reason why much of Alizee's songs are lip-synced.

brad
01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
the girl can definitely sing. just listen to her in any of the concert vids

http://moi-alizee.us/media.php?sort=4

CFHollister
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
the girl can definitely sing. just listen to her in any of the concert vids

http://moi-alizee.us/media.php?sort=4

You'll get no argument from me... it's just that singing well and dancing at the same time can be hard for anybody, even if they are as talented as Alizée.

neoteny
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
well of course thats the reason!! if i did that sexy little elf dance while at the same time using my voice id pass out on the floor. but thats just me. see, my lungs arent what they used to be? so i get tired alot faster. Alizee's got nice big lungs! come to think of it most singers do.

Cooney
01-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Singed and dancing at the same time is hard! I've done several musicals (I'm an actor by training), where we were jumping around and doing coordinated dances while singing... it wears you down fast. Fortunately, the songs in musicals that have accompanying dance numbers are usually a bit jumpy and up-tempo themselves, so it's a lot easier than the smoother, more melodic songs, to keep it sounding good.

If you ever have any doubts about it Alizée has a voice, watch the amateur video of her doing Papillion De Nuit in school. Yes, she still has some of the amateur/childish sound, in particular on the high notes, but I couldn't believe the huge deep voice that came out of that 14, maybe 15, year old girl.

lefty12357
01-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, Alizée has quite a range. Many parts in her songs are quite low for a woman. It's hard to project your voice when you sing low in a live performance situation. Add the dancing on top of that and I can see why it is preferable to lip-sync during a TV appearance. She may not have an expertly trained voice, but she's a good singer with that intangible quality in her voice that seems to touch every one of us. That's worth more than a highly trained voice any day, in my humble opinion.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Besides that she has a lovely voice, you must agree her body and her look gives her some extra points.

Zack -Alizee Lover-
01-05-2007, 09:47 PM
It looks like she’s lip-syncing in every video I’ve seen. Doesn’t she ever sing live?
That’s just the way the majority of televised musical performances in France (and most of Europe too) are done. Most pop singers do this, not just Alizée, although there are a handful of TV performances where she sings live:

Moi… Lolita @ Top of the Pops Italy, Eurobest, Star Academy & a performance in Korea.

In addition, she sang 100% live for her 2003 concert tour as well as the Les Enfoirés concerts.