PDA

View Full Version : Help with translation

CWatkins
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I started learning French a while ago so I try to translate random french quotes when I see them and I came across one caption that I was able to figure out what it meant but when I went to double-check myself, I was confused. Can anyone help me?

I was reading some old threads and came across http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4337 with a picture of Alizee with the caption about her playing the Wii that was posted on the first page.

To save time, the caption is: Quand je joue à la Wii, je mute le son de la console et je mets l'album "Histoire de Melody Nelson" sur mon lecteur CD. La meilleure B.O. pour jeux vidéo, sachez-le, cher Serge.

Toc de Mac posted a translation: When I play the Wii, I mute the game, and I play his album "The Story of Melody Nelson" on my CD player. The best B.O. («bande originale»? soundtrack?) for playing video games, know it, dear Serge.»

I know that you can't always translate word for word, but using a french-english dictionary, "je mute" means "to transfer" and not "to mute" like I thought it meant. The translation "to transfer" makes no sense in the context of the caption so I know it's the wrong translation. Does "je mute" have a secondary meaning that's not in the dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

Bigdan
11-19-2008, 01:26 PM
je "mute" is simply NOT french !( in the way she use it )

she means :" i push the "mute" button (she cut the sound)

"Mute" is the english word stick on the gamepad, even in France...:rolleyes:

So the french dictionary can't know this...

and yes, B.O. means Bande Originale = soundtrack

CWatkins
11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for answering the other question I forgot to ask, which was about B.O.

Some more questions if you don't mind...

What word is on TV remotes in France that mutes the sound? Is that also "Mute"? Is this yet another case of incorporating english words into everyday french conversation?

If I wanted to talk to someone in French and I asked them to mute the TV so I can talk on the phone, how do I say the french equilavent of "Mute that, please" or whatever phrase is used for that purpose?

Bigdan
11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for answering the other question I forgot to ask, which was about B.O.

Some more questions if you don't mind...

What word is on TV remotes in France that mutes the sound? Is that also "Mute"? Is this yet another case of incorporating english words into everyday french conversation?

1/Usually it's written :" volume" with a + and a -.
2/ I never ever heard this way of saying that before reading it on this article.
let's say it's a kind of "teen slang" ( I'm maybe too old...;)
Or it"s pure "Alizéism" !

I'm pretty sure a lot of french people doesnt' get it, if you try to use it.

If I wanted to talk to someone in French and I asked them to mute the TV so I can talk on the phone, how do I say the french equilavent of "Mute that, please" or whatever phrase is used for that purpose?

the better :" vous pouvez baisser (ou couper) le son, s'il vous plait?"

= can you fade (or cut) the sound, please ?

CWatkins
11-20-2008, 09:00 AM
That's interesting... Thanks for letting me know.