PDA

View Full Version : I hate my job

nurvonic
09-25-2006, 02:53 PM
i just got done with a 10.5 hour shift at the hospital. for those of you that dont know, i work at a naval hospital at Mayport Florida. we mostly get war veterans and marines and soldiers who were wounded in Iraq. these shifts can be brutal, especially when its mostly changing dirty bedsheets, checking vital signs, and making X-ray runs all day. to tell you the truth, i'd rather be in Iraq giving aid to those wounded marines at the batalion aid station(BAS for short). lol yeah i know i would have be out in the field with them, shooting bad guys and blowing shit up, but that sounds alot more fun than staying at the hospital wiping old ass!

what are some of you guys's jobs?

brad
09-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I am a GIS (Geographic Information Systems) DB admin ...

basically I make maps, but it is a little more complex than that ... lol

nurvonic
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Kool brad...im into maps also

see if you guys can spot your city:

http://epod.usra.edu/archive/images/nightlights.jpg

nurvonic
09-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Im in the pubic area of americas wang(Florida), aka Jacksonville:)

O Rly
09-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Hah, wasn't hard at all. Oooh, and there's RMJ's city... If only i could get about 2 inches to the south west i could see Corsica :)

nurvonic
09-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Hah, wasn't hard at all. Oooh, and there's RMJ's city... If only i could get about 2 inches to the south west i could see Corsica :)

thats great O Rly, now what do you do for a living?

edit: nevermind i forget alot people are too young on this site to have careers lol

Matrix
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Look at Africa on that map you showed with the lights. What is up with Africa? Why that continent is not united like the USA is beyond me. What a huge waste!

Africa could be a world player if they simply became united as one. Africa, get your act together!

jeroh
09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
far far far away....

http://www.moi-alizee.us/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33&stc=1&d=1159214239

Moe
09-25-2006, 04:00 PM
far far far away....

http://www.moi-alizee.us/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33&stc=1&d=1159214239

lol nice....:D

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/mwmace/worthless.gif

i'm still studying...but i resell webspace to fools :D

NANAKI
09-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Look at Africa on that map you showed with the lights. What is up with Africa? Why that continent is not united like the USA is beyond me. What a huge waste!

Africa could be a world player if they simply became united as one. Africa, get your act together!

that is because that is North Africa it is mostly desert.

Shep
09-25-2006, 05:07 PM

I'm not a geologist, but I am a thinker... is there a way to terraform most of Africas deserts into usuable land? maybe mass tilling and irrigation or something?

General Patton
09-25-2006, 05:08 PM
i just got done with a 10.5 hour shift at the hospital. for those of you that dont know, i work at a naval hospital at Mayport Florida. we mostly get war veterans and marines and soldiers who were wounded in Iraq. these shifts can be brutal, especially when its mostly changing dirty bedsheets, checking vital signs, and making X-ray runs all day. to tell you the truth, i'd rather be in Iraq giving aid to those wounded marines at the batalion aid station(BAS for short). lol yeah i know i would have be out in the field with them, shooting bad guys and blowing shit up, but that sounds alot more fun than staying at the hospital wiping old ass!

You would really want to be in Iraq?
I don't you would.... It may be boring, but at lest you have no chances of being, killed, shot up, blown to hell, or whatever.

Bob
09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
i am mostly a student, but i do work part time in the local pet store =)

and im currently training to be a white water rafting guide

NANAKI
09-25-2006, 05:12 PM

I work at a local AMC on the weekends weekdays I'm a student and an Alizée info seeker.

Moe
09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm not a geologist, but I am a thinker... is there a way to terraform most of Africas deserts into usuable land? maybe mass tilling and irrigation or something?

its called the great sahara...that would be for a reason wouldn't it?:D

irrigation costs alot too

Matrix
09-25-2006, 05:48 PM

The MIDDLE map Einstein!

Shep
09-25-2006, 06:21 PM
its called the great sahara...that would be for a reason wouldn't it?:D

irrigation costs alot too

I imagine if we were pressed for land and development, we'd eventually get around to it. I think it'd be interesting to form a 100+ year plan of terraforming slowly and maybe work on it someday.

NANAKI
09-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I imagine if we were pressed for land and development, we'd eventually get around to it. I think it'd be interesting to form a 100+ year plan of terraforming slowly and maybe work on it someday.

still most of Africa is just 3rd world countries they don't have the technology that we do.

Urb4n
09-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm a bouncer at a local comedy club for the time being. I wonder if Alizee likes standup.

Shep
09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
still most of Africa is just 3rd world countries they don't have the technology that we do.

Yeah, part of the problem is fighting governments who starve their people to continue war. Part of the program should involve either toppling or reforming those countries and help them care for their own land.

Urb4n
09-25-2006, 08:56 PM

That won't be possible, at least not easily let alone efficiently. It just so happens that the part of the world you're talking about has a climate that has made the land arid and hot, and thats because the surrounding climates (of Europe, Southern Africa) force it to be that way. Assuming we diddecide to terraform the desert into something useful, we're talking about cutting short the natural habitat for lots of species of animals/plants. Part of the problem is maintaining a balance with indigenous species of plants and animals and progress. We have to work with what we are given by nature.

They say in a million years western Europe will become a huge rainforest and the majority of the lower 48 (states) will become a vast desert. With that in mind, how do you think we will be using our land then? Obviously the midwest won't be the breadbasket of America anymore and European countries will be taking an interest in the logging business. The way we live and work is based almost entirely on what geographical location we're in and what is readily available. The Environment changes our habits, we don't change the environments habits.

Same principle applies to your terraforming theory, it's neither economic, efficient, nor easy to accomplish such a feat. Nature will resist the change in the habitat to the end. Ultimately, it'll just displace thousands of animals, and when we give up on the project it'll leave the environment in the area in ruins. Attempting to Terraform an established habitat will not work, plain and simple. Now, Terraforming something like Mars is a different story, theres almost nothing there to screw up.

Ok, I'm done with my little off-topic lecture. (I had the time to type it.:( )

Edit : For a summary, it looks like northern Africa is SoL for a while, it can't be helped.

nurvonic
09-25-2006, 11:56 PM
wow i really should of put that map in a different thread lol

i dont really hear much from africa...all ive heard is the incident in somalia, that movie 'congo', that other movie 'sahara', and that big ass mountain thats losing ice because of global warming(this is gonna turn into a global warming thread now lol)

RMJ
09-26-2006, 12:01 AM

Surprising that it shows up. And even more surprising that you know where it is. :)

It's not big city in world scale (less than 200 thousand people), so I could have thought that it doesn't show up as well as it does.

rcs
09-26-2006, 05:47 AM
Aircraft Maintenance.

Look at Corsica, it's lit up pretty good. I thought it would look more quiet than that. ...Now, where's Alizee's house?

nurvonic
09-26-2006, 09:44 AM
jeroh

LOL! jeroh, heres a better image so you can point out your city a little better
http://www.allsky.de/images/allsky/astro/544.jpg

jeroh
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
better :)?

http://www.moi-alizee.us/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34&stc=1&d=1159282087

nurvonic
09-26-2006, 10:52 AM
yes thats much better lol:)

DJ_Greg
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM

Dude...it's the Sahara...

EDIT: OK, so it took me a while to read this thread...apparently this has already been covered. :D

mibir
09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
I'd hate to get back on topic but, I work as a part time cook.

Matrix
09-26-2006, 04:33 PM

You actually wipe peoples .... butts? That is the most disgusting job in the world... WHY DO YOU DO IT??? Why would anyone pick a job like that?

"Hey, dad and mom, guess what I wanna do when I graduate high school? I wanna go wipe peoples butts in hospitals! " Sigh, would Alizee do this?

nurvonic
09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
You actually wipe peoples .... butts? That is the most disgusting job in the world... WHY DO YOU DO IT??? Why would anyone pick a job like that?

"Hey, dad and mom, guess what I wanna do when I graduate high school? I wanna go wipe peoples butts in hospitals! " Sigh, would Alizee do this?

I honestly didnt know that corpsman in the navy did actual 'nurse' work. i thought they were in the naval hospitals taking care of wounded marines and soldiers. if i wouldve known this, i wouldnt have picked this job. but the time will come when my shore duty has ended and i could go overseas with the marines and do some real dirty work;)

Matrix
09-26-2006, 07:15 PM
I honestly didnt know that corpsman in the navy did actual 'nurse' work. i thought they were in the naval hospitals taking care of wounded marines and soldiers. if i wouldve known this, i wouldnt have picked this job. but the time will come when my shore duty has ended and i could go overseas with the marines and do some real dirty work;)

Ah, i see. Well good on you for helping people :) Nurses are underpaid in my opinion just like firemen and policemen.

I think Alizee would pick a vocation of helping people if she wasn't entertaining.

nurvonic
09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Nurses are underpaid in my opinion just like firemen and policemen.

actually nurses make 22 dollars an hour lol...thats pretty good money if you ask me. its better than what im making right now:eek:

Fisherman
09-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Getting back to the subject, I'm a Marine Engineer and we get to design stuff like this:

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/060923-O-0000X-001.jpg

http://www.navy.mil/list_all.asp?id=25737

Fisherman
09-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Oops, guess that image was a little large.

HibyPrime
09-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Getting back to the subject, I'm a Marine Engineer and we get to design stuff like this:

Lol, did they drop the boat from like 20ft off the water surface or something?

I've just started a graphic design business (business logos, brochures and things of that type), and I don't hate my job thank you very much.

Fisherman
09-26-2006, 10:47 PM
It slides down those steel rails sideways, like doing a belly flop and bobs around for a while. This one (1st of its class) was launched this past Saturday.

Twitch
09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
I just finished getting a BFA in Photography with a Graphic Design minor but I was enticed by New Brunswick's new plan to keep people in the province by cutting up to $10 000 off of their student loans and came back to see if I could find anything interesting, if nothing great shows up I'll be moving on. So currently I'm in the listless limbonic void between university and reality and don't really have a "real" job to hate...yet.:)

RadioactiveMan
09-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Graphic Design? Darn, I guess I can't make "all maritimers are fishermen" stereotypes around here anymore, can I?

Twitch
09-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Darn, I guess I can't make "all maritimers are fishermen" stereotypes around here anymore, can I?

Well, you see there when we weren't catchin nothin but the tuna cans and boots cause there weren't no more fishes we had to start picking the potatoes eh...lol:D .

Seriously though I've never been bothered by those jokes, we usually just pass them on to the Newfies(aka Newfoundlanders). A lot of people here say that everybody in BC smokes weed, which isn't true they're just stupid stereotypes, most to funny to let die so don't feel the need to be polite on my account...:rolleyes:

[EDIT] It's probably in bad taste though to make jokes about the collapse of the Atlantic fisheries because although New Brunswick is mostly forrestry and farming, there are a lot of people who lost their livehoods directly or indirectly because of the collapse of the fish stocks.:( And no we don't really talk like that just trying to type the stereotyped accent.

DJ_Greg
09-27-2006, 05:05 PM

It's very respectable and important work, nurv. Props!

rwd716
09-28-2006, 02:29 AM
My job is kinda hard to explain because it does so many things.

I work at a PMEL (Precision Measurment Equipment Laboratory). Basically, anything that needs measuring in the Air Force, I calibrate the equipment that measures it. That includes electronics- volts, amps, ohms, watts, radio frequency, and rf power. It's also physical/dimenstional things like weight (We actually have a machine that if you weigh a piece of paper, then write your name on it, it can tell the difference in weight from the ink), length, volume, torque, speed, force, etc.

My job can be tedious because everything is so anal, haha. But when you think about it, there isn't anything that can't be traced back to my job. Lol, someone told me that, and I was sure I could think of something that didn't need all those bs measurments to be accomplished, but I really couldn't think of something. So go ahead and give it a shot (I just know Patton will come up w/ something, lol)!

christelle
09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm manucurist I've got my own enterprise and I love my job.

Sir Wood
09-28-2006, 10:46 PM
I work at a PMEL (Precision Measurment Equipment Laboratory).

That's what my father (retired MSgt) wanted me to get into when I joined the AF. But I got into the comms billet.

I currently work for a telecomm company as a Circuit Designer. In laymans terms, we create CLRs - Circuit Layout Records - that shows how a circuit (DS0 thru OC48, etc.) will be delivered through our network/switch equipment to the end-user based on the available equipments in our inventory. Techs follow these blueprints to make the end-to-end connections.

I don't hate my job, just some of the "stuff" that comes from management... :mad:

rwd716
09-28-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't hate my job, just some of the "stuff" that comes from management... :mad:

Good 'ol AF magagement, ehh?

RadioactiveMan
09-29-2006, 12:52 AM
I started working at the new Canadian Tire in my town tonight. I had submitted my resume last week and got a phone call asking to work last night. I'll work there after school for a couple of months until the store is ready to open. After that, more permanent employees will be chosen from those that worked while the store was being built and made ready.
I don't remember if I mentioned before, but I also referee soccer. The last soccer weekend of the season is this weekend and I have three games to referee.

neoteny
09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
lol...i just of thot of nurv being a male nurse...wipe those butts!

con_eng
09-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Getting back to the subject, I am an Electrical & Electronics Engineer. I am pursuing my master degree. Next year I hope to attend a large university to obtain Phd in USA. However, at first I must pass Toefl and GRE :(

Nitro
09-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I am a computer scientist. Currently, I'm in the software consulting business, but I am hoping to eventually get out of the consulting game as I am starting a new company.

rwd716
10-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Getting back to the subject, I am an Electrical & Electronics Engineer. I am pursuing my master degree. Next year I hope to attend a large university to obtain Phd in USA. However, at first I must pass Toefl and GRE :(

The more I work w/ electronics and the more I find out that I don't know, the more I hate all those damn electrons, lol.

Impurator
10-01-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm a computer scientist and I love my job nowadays. I hated being a consultant, too much waste and excess for my tastes. But now, I'm doing programming/database support/new technology stuff for one of 14 Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the US. Technically I am on the University's School of Medicine payroll, but I do far more work with hospital and Cleveland Clinic personnel than University folks. I'm currently doing support for a project that is trying to prove that something called Barrett's Esophagus is an inherited defect. Barrett's is a very good "early warning sign" for throat cancer (Esophageal Adenocarcinoma in fancy doctor-speak), and of course the earlier cancer is detected the easier it is to treat.

I usually just tell people that I work in cancer research. :D

riva2model64
10-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Fisherman that was an amazing photo!!
Did you take that if so wow!!

oh ye, I am student right now and work part time at a retirement restaurant.

zemasterzzz
10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm in grade 11 now and work at the Dominion (Grocery Store) across the street. I hate being a buggy pusher, it's so boring, besides everyone in the store is like 40 years older than me. Guess that's why I'm quiting on Sat.

You guys all sound intimidating with all this talk of master degrees, electronics engineers and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Sound cool tho.

spysmasher
10-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I am a librarian and Latin teacher at a small, private boarding school (grades 9-12) ... and I love my job!

Jchase
10-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Im in the pubic area of americas wang(Florida), aka Jacksonville:)

Yea I'm bout an hour south of you in Daytona Beach.