of their own bullshit medicine.

http://www.gnutella.com/news/20741

Go LimeWire.

Gatchaman
09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Good! Companies need to start standing up against the damn RIAA! :mad:

Twitch
09-28-2006, 06:20 PM
The RIAA should just give up mp3's were transferred through IRC channels long before Napster and if they mess up Limewire people are still going to share their files you can't stop it. And besides some musiciens support file sharing knowing that they make their money through concerts, its the record companies that get the bulk of cd sales.

HibyPrime
09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
You forgot that what the companies actions are violating anti-trust laws. They are trying to control all music distribution methods.

They only have the right to sue the people who upload and download the files.

The US supreme court said that the company has to endorse downloading copywrighted material for it to be illegal. LimeWire has a box when you first goto their downloading site asking if you will use LimeWire to download copywrighted material, clicking yes does not let you download the file. This is a contract, If you violate the contract, it is not LimeWire's fault.

Besides, they are taking down clients that are in use internationally, I don't know about too many other countires, but downloading (not uploading) from P2P clients is not a copy-wright infringment in Canada - it pisses me off that they are trying to stop P2P access here and are getting away with it. I turn of file sharing for this reason :P

If they really want to stop file sharing at the source, then pay ISP's millions of dollars to block Gnutella network access. Most ISP's block some bit torrent ports, so I assume they would be on board with the idea.

Twitch: Downloading MP3's off IRC was really annoying, I kept wondering when they would make a search engine for IRC files. Que Napster :D

jaco
09-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm curious, has this site ever received any letters from RIAA lawyers regarding the videos (& lyrics, those are controlled by the copyright nazis too) hosted on this site? I suppose that there's a pretty good legal case to be made that since most of these videos are on youtube and google video anyway, they can't really enforce their copyright here. Of course, IANAL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL).

RadioactiveMan
09-29-2006, 01:04 AM
I'd hate for any anti-downloading laws to be really enforced. I love to listen to music and I plan to buy every song that I like at some time or another. You don't have a lot of money to buy things when you're a teenager. I don't actually know anyone who uses downloading as a true replacement for purchasing music either.
Downloading, to me, makes it infinitely easier to sample a huge array of different music. Without it, neither I nor the majority of you would be Alizée fans, would you?

DJ_Greg
09-29-2006, 01:58 AM
I'd hate for any anti-downloading laws to be really enforced. I love to listen to music and I plan to buy every song that I like at some time or another. You don't have a lot of money to buy things when you're a teenager. I don't actually know anyone who uses downloading as a true replacement for purchasing music either.
Downloading, to me, makes it infinitely easier to sample a huge array of different music. Without it, neither I nor the majority of you would be Alizée fans, would you?

Co-signed.

C-4
09-29-2006, 07:19 AM
I'd like to see the RIAA get a barbed-wire enema from Limewire and the court system!

Matrix
09-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Uh, people I am sure Alizee is in bed with the RIAA. She is no doubt on the side of the RIAA

I don't want to puts words in Alizees mouth but my GUESS is that she approves of the RIAA

HibyPrime
09-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Uh, people I am sure Alizee is in bed with the RIAA. She is no doubt on the side of the RIAA

I don't want to puts words in Alizees mouth but my GUESS is that she approves of the RIAA

RIAA = American.

?

BTW, I would even approve of RIAA if they were a government sect, because what they are doing is what the government should be doing (minus a few things). They are a Business, not affiliated with the government in the least, other than that they attend court a lot.

nurvonic
09-29-2006, 03:11 PM
RIAA = American.

?

RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America (i think)

HibyPrime
09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America (i think)

Yes that is it...

I think you misunderstood me though, I meant that RIAA is American and does not work to protect copywrights in other countries (even though they end up doing that as a by-product).

O Rly
09-29-2006, 03:21 PM

I agree with that. I personally download songs and stuff illegaly before i buy the real thing. I use it as a preview of some sort. Take this for an example: I have a CD which is broken now and i can't listen to it (happens a lot if you have a 5 year-old brother around...), so i go and download the thing, since i already paid my money for the thing and i'm not gonna buy another one, except if it had any cool extras and stuff on it. (i've had to do it about 4 times now)

DJ_Greg
09-29-2006, 03:32 PM

Pretending for the moment that the RIAA is an international corporation, what makes you think so? Lots of artists disapprove of the strong-arm tactics of the RIAA. MOST musicians who care about their music dislike record companies, but see them as a necessary evil to distribute their music. Remember, Alizée is technically an independent artist right now (no label). She might have some hard feelings after the split with Polydor.

nurvonic
09-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes that is it...

I think you misunderstood me though, I meant that RIAA is American and does not work to protect copywrights in other countries (even though they end up doing that as a by-product).

ohh...im sorry i havent had a drink since this morning

Pirate515
09-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm curious, has this site ever received any letters from RIAA lawyers regarding the videos (& lyrics, those are controlled by the copyright nazis too) hosted on this site? I suppose that there's a pretty good legal case to be made that since most of these videos are on YouTube and Google Video anyway, they can't really enforce their copyright here. Of course, IANAL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL).I think the reason why RIAA is not touching this site is because Alizee's fan base here in the US is pretty limited. Has this been a Britney or Eminem fan site, it would have been shut down a long time ago. Likewise, has Alizee been really popular here in the US, they would have went after this site as well.

The mindset of RIAA is really simple: if an artist is really popular and his/her name is on a tip of everyone's tongue, they need to get people to buy as much of their merchandise as possible. And of course, they need to get rid of anyone who's trying to make that artist's work available for free.

IMO this site is pretty safe as long as Alizee is not a huge superstar here in the US. If that changes, as much as it would be great news for all of us, Brad might want to pull a disappearing act.

brad
09-29-2006, 06:37 PM
When / If youtube removes Alizee videos from their website, then I will most likely do the same. Most of these videos are television performances .. so I am not sure how that falls into the RIAA domain? I would think it would be the broadcast companies that would be making the complaints.

Pirate515
09-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Uh, people I am sure Alizee is in bed with the RIAA. She is no doubt on the side of the RIAA.

I don't want to put the words in Alizees mouth but my GUESS is that she approves of the RIAA.I wouldn't bet on it unless/until I hear the above coming from Alizee directly.

Yes, her first two albums were recorded under Polydor/Universal, which is a very prominent member of the RIAA. However, in case you haven't heard, she has since left them, as well as her producers Mylene Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat. No one other than the ones involved knows the reason for the split, but I've heard plenty of rumors that a part of it has something to do with Universal/Polydor and Mylene/Laurent ripping Alizee off. Also, no one knows what label Alizee is working with on her third album, and whether this label is a member of RIAA or not.

If anything, I think that Alizee doesn't blindly support everything that RIAA does, but I don't think she's dumb enough to publicly open her mouth against them either. After all, first and foremost she's a singer, and plans to continue to do what she does best, which is sing and dance. I don't think it would be wise for Alizee to get involved in politics. Besides, in case you haven't noticed, most of the "artists" who cry about piracy are usually aren't that good, and Alizee is the total opposite of that. The only fact that people still care about her music despite the fact that she hasn't been active for 2+ years proves that.

aditya8617
09-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Pirate has got a point. Anyways how much do these music cd's cost? I think they must be kind of costly if so many people download music for free. In case of Alizee videos, there is no way one can see her tv performances unless they are posted on youtube or fansites, so how would that be illegal?

HibyPrime
09-29-2006, 10:32 PM
In case of Alizee videos, there is no way one can see her tv performances unless they are posted on youtube or fansites, so how would that be illegal?

Copywright > Logic.

The entire idea that a if I take a picture of someone other than myself, I own the copywright is just stupid anyway. The person pictured should own the copywright - jointed with the photographer. This also ties in with video AND music - the labels own the copywright, not the artist.