PDA

View Full Version : J'en ai marre will never be the same...

Twitch
09-30-2006, 02:53 AM
I just stumbled upon this analysis of J'en ai marre while digging around in the Alizée Alliance (the French forum linked from Le Nid d'Alizée, the site who's webmaster received the letter from Alizée). I only thought the song was hinting at other things, I mean the conclusions drawn in this will completely change how you feel about the song. It was done by Marine, a 16 year member, but a quick check of the comments show that most people that commented on it seem to agree that it for the most part seems plausible, but might be stretching it a bit. Here's the analysis in French (I'll post a transalation later if wanted). http://www1.france-jeunes.net/lire-de-quoi-parle-j-en-ai-marre-8415.htm

Basically Marine says that although innocent looking at first JEAM is a song all about female masturbation...
Like I said J'en ai marre will never be the same, at least for me...and I was worried about the damn zuchinni line...:rolleyes:

PS: This only applies to the French lyrics as the song was rewritten and not directly translated into English.

O Rly
09-30-2006, 03:59 AM
:eek:

I knew it had a deeper meaning behind it, but not that... lol. Wow... just wow.

Impurator
09-30-2006, 04:04 AM
If she is alluding to that in the song, this just means that Alizée was a much more well-adjusted individual at 19 than most girls that age ;-) That's how you can look at it if your attraction to her isn't necessarily sexual...

RMJ
09-30-2006, 08:31 AM
I just stumbled upon this analysis of J'en ai marre while digging around in the Alizée Alliance (the French forum who's webmaster received the letter from Alizée).
Emilie isn't webmaster of Alizée Alliance. She's webmaster of Le Nid d'Alizée.

I only thought the song was hinting at other things, I mean the conclusions drawn in this will completely change how you feel about the song. It was done by Marine, a 16 year member, but a quick check of the comments show that most people that commented on it seem to agree that it for the most part seems plausible, but might be stretching it a bit. Here's the analysis in French (I'll post a transalation later if wanted). http://www1.france-jeunes.net/lire-de-quoi-parle-j-en-ai-marre-8415.htm

Basically Marine says that although innocent looking at first JEAM is a song all about female masturbation...
Like I said J'en ai marre will never be the same, at least for me...and I was worried about the damn zuchinni line...:rolleyes:

PS: This only applies to the French lyrics as the song was rewritten and not directly translated into English.
This analyze is way too stretched. It is meant to promote the sexual interpretation of the song at all costs. Even the first 3 lines makes you realize that the analyze is way off...

JEAM do speak of masturbation, it is clear. But not in scale that this analyze suggest.

Moe
09-30-2006, 08:48 AM
anyone told you that song was written by ''Mylene Farmer'' :D

aFrenchie
09-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Very very very far fetched for me. It looks like those ever going analysis of Nostradamus thingies. You can make them tell anything you want, and the contrary...

Matrix
09-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Ask Alizee what the song meant? Alizee made a video where she is breaking dinner dishes and saying, " I'm fed up "

Twitch
09-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Emilie isn't webmaster of Alizée Alliance. She's webmaster of Le Nid d'Alizée.

Sorry it was late, but that's the forum you are linked to from Le Nid d'Alizée should have been more clear.:o

Very very very far fetched for me.

I was feeling the same way, nice to have it backed up by someone who's French is better. I mean there is some plausibility to some parts but not to the level that the analysis wants you to believe.

RMJ
09-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Very very very far fetched for me. It looks like those ever going analysis of Nostradamus thingies. You can make them tell anything you want, and the contrary...
Exactly what I meant. Whoever wrote it, wants to believe that it talks about sex in every line.

Which it clearly doesn't do. Some of those notes are totally made up. They are absolutely no connection between the notes and the lyrics.

NANAKI
09-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah what a bunch of ^**holes they just want to start trouble

BlancZulu
09-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Exactly what I meant. Whoever wrote it, wants to believe that it talks about sex in every line.

Which it clearly doesn't do. Some of those notes are totally made up. They are absolutely no connection between the notes and the lyrics.

Wow i hope your are correct ... I nearly broke my neck falling back over my chair!:o

DJ_Greg
09-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Haha...God forbid Alizée sing a song with allusions to masturbation! :rolleyes:

O Rly
09-30-2006, 01:14 PM

Sweet, i really hoped it wasn't true. I tried to read what i could and it seemed kinda untrue. I compared the english translation to the french one and i couldn't belive it (maybe cause i just didn't want to?)

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

snowowle
09-30-2006, 03:47 PM
It seems to me that the song it about being fed up. Sick and tired of things, politics, life, sex, etc....

And she's also singing about getting away from it all.

If you want to see that as just relaxing in the tub away from life's troubles, great!

Or it is about melting away life's troubles through some self pleasure.

It is up to you to decide. :) :) :) :) :) :)

HibyPrime
09-30-2006, 04:18 PM
anyone told you that song was written by ''Mylene Farmer'' :D

I don't think even Mylene would write such obsene lyrics. That said, she is a pretty dirty 40 something woman (/cringe), and if she was thinking this while writing the lyrics, I wouldn't be suprised - but I seriously doubt she would have told anyone (even Alizee) that these lyrics really meant that. She is the freaking queen of multiple meaning lyrics.

Ben
09-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Ask Alizee what the song meant? Alizee made a video where she is breaking dinner dishes and saying, " I'm fed up "
Yeah, that's what the song is "about". Saying it's about masturbation is actually too simple, because really that's just one of the things it talks about. Yes, that definitely is a theme in the song, and some of that analysis is probably correct, but a lot of it is looking at the song all from one angle too much like others have said.

I mean, the song is basically a description of a moment: she's in the tub, fed up with the world, starts touching herself, and thinks about all the things she's annoyed with. It's far from innocent, but to me the framework there - the subject of the song - is the stuff she's annoyed about. The masturbation is "just" something that happens along the way. ;)

HibyPrime
09-30-2006, 09:34 PM
The masturbation is "just" something that happens along the way. ;)

Well, I typed about a 5 paragraph response to this, and I then realized I was just babeling, so heres the shortened response.

Where does it say anything about masterbation? I spent a good hour studying this song, and I haven't found a thing other than double meaning lines that could possibly mean she was touching herself, but there is no referrence to that being in a sexual manner.

DJ_Greg
09-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Well, even the lyrics to "I Touch Myself" don't come right out and say "I'm masturbating"...

HibyPrime
09-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, even the lyrics to "I Touch Myself" don't come right out and say "I'm masturbating"...

I'm not asking for a smart-ass respone...

It's a serious question, something is getting lost in translation here.

Edit: I just read the lyrics to the song (I'm suprised I actually remembered the song /cringe at blondie). It quite obviously referrences masterbation..

DJ_Greg
09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm not asking for a smart-ass respone...

It's a serious question, something is getting lost in translation here.

It's not a smart ass response. It's just a short one.

Put another/longer way...
Poetry and music paint pictures in your mind. They don't just tell you what the artist is trying to say, they show you. When Elliott Smith sings about a "skinny Santa selling something to me," he's not actually talking about a guy in a Santa suit, he's talking about a heroin dealer. Not every songwriter is as literal as Fred Durst.

It seems silly for people to expect Mylene to write a song that explicitly talks about masturbation. If she wants to talk about that, she'll do it in metaphor.

Personally, I don't really care what JEAM is about. I can't understand the lyrics anyway. But some people act like Alizée singing about masturbation is like spitting on Jesus, or something. You guys know it doesn't make you go blind, right??

DJ_Greg
09-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Edit: I just read the lyrics to the song (I'm suprised I actually remembered the song /cringe at blondie). It quite obviously referrences masterbation..

Not Blondie...Divinyls.

I <3 Zombies
09-30-2006, 11:28 PM
:mad: Ok, a lot of the words that they were saying the lyrics stated I didn't understand... So I looked them up, just to find that they weren't in the DAMN DICTIONARY, WHAT THE HELL!!! You can't really claim someone is saying something if the words you are using don't exist! Those damn perverts!!!

HibyPrime
10-01-2006, 01:55 AM
It's not a smart ass response. It's just a short one.

Put another/longer way...
Poetry and music paint pictures in your mind. They don't just tell you what the artist is trying to say, they show you. When Elliott Smith sings about a "skinny Santa selling something to me," he's not actually talking about a guy in a Santa suit, he's talking about a heroin dealer. Not every songwriter is as literal as Fred Durst.

It seems silly for people to expect Mylene to write a song that explicitly talks about masturbation. If she wants to talk about that, she'll do it in metaphor.

Personally, I don't really care what JEAM is about. I can't understand the lyrics anyway. But some people act like Alizée singing about masturbation is like spitting on Jesus, or something. You guys know it doesn't make you go blind, right??

erm, I dont have a problem with songs about masterbation, I just don't see where it is used.

If someone is painting 5 different pictures in my mind, with no indication of what is being implied, then I'm probably missing something.. This is what I am asking for clarification on! Like what lines refer to what and so on.. If none wants to do it thats fine, I'll wait until I can understand french a little better

Twitch
10-01-2006, 02:38 AM
If someone is painting 5 different pictures in my mind, with no indication of what is being implied, then I'm probably missing something.. This is what I am asking for clarification on! Like what lines refer to what and so on.. If none wants to do it thats fine, I'll wait until I can understand french a little better
I can toss up a transaltion of what the analysis says tomorrow so you can see what is being associated with the lyrics but most of it is far fetched. At first I wasn't 100 percent sure not knowing if it was more plausible in French French than in Canadian French but aFrenchie found it far fetched too. I mean literally the lyrics say nothing and the analysis tries to say the song is blatently about masturbation, and while I think there might be hints of it, its not to the level indicated. With the translation you'll see better how at times the analysis is really reaching in its conclusions, but with enough imagination you can make up meanings for anything.
And for those of you uptight about a song that might possibly hint about masterbating being marketed to children, children do not contain the necessary semantic information to understand anything but the literal meaning of the lyrics themselves. I should have never started this thread...:rolleyes:

rwd716
10-01-2006, 04:12 AM
You guys know it doesn't make you go blind, right??

Thanks for the info DJ. I can rest at ease now, lol :D

aditya8617
10-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Wow I missed a lot. Can anyone tell me in short what is the final outcome of the analysis of the song. From the English version I can see none of this.

Ben
10-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I agree with alot of what DJ_Greg has been saying. First guys, keep in mind that the "official" English version, I'm Fed Up, is not the same lyrically as the French original. That means you've got to look at some translations if you don't understand French, and preferably more than one translation because no single go at the song will yield every single nuance from French to English. Some good translations to look at are the ones here, the one on alizee-fanpage.com, and the one on mf-international.com. From those I think it's pretty obvious that the song isn't only about masturbation, but that is one of the things alluded to (just look at the last verse). You've got to listen to the song too, it's not all in the lyrics but in the sounds (the "oui"s, etc.), and watch the videos. I mean, just the goldfish for example - it's a bit weird to be taking a bath with a Fish, so clearly this is a metaphor for several things. I think the sexual connotation is fairly obvious, though of course it's not the only one because there's also the expression someone says when they feel trapped and scrutinized: "I feel like a goldfish in a bowl". I think that's what the official video is mostly about: Alizée is the goldfish, in her glass cage, being watched by us her audience / the camera. I've always taken the throwing of the still camera to be a reference to paparazzi.

Matrix
10-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Only Americans get bent over sexual overtones when it comes to music or movies. Compare USA to rest of the world... USA is mostly christain conservative and so uptight when it comes to sex

Come to Las Vegas, we will change your conservative ways, lol :p

Alizee, help us Americans become more sexually in tune with France, lol :)

aditya8617
10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Alizee, help us Americans become more sexually in tune with France, lol :)

She already is, but it would be better if she can come here and do it.

Twitch
10-01-2006, 06:24 PM
For those of you still bothered by this, here is a bad translation (Alizée is translated to Geostrophic, lol:D ) of the first page I linked in the thread, didn't see the point in spending the time to translate it better, a lot is lost in translation but you should be able to see why it was described as far fetched and inacurrate. http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww1.france-jeunes.net%2Flire-de-quoi-parle-j-en-ai-marre-8415.htm&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

And here is a link to a better translation and more reasonable analysis of the song. Which discusses issues like it sounds like it is sung as poisson rouge (red fish/goldfish) but is actually poisson bouge in the CD booklet (It is I checked). And how French idiomatic phrases can be interpreted differently, like deux balles can be meant to mean two balls, or two francs which in pre Euro days meant really cheap, low quality.
http://www.mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=248&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=2d1741372f292a9519156c3dbb5bcc11

Clilcking on Alizée Transalations will also bring up other translations and discussions found here http://www.mf-international.com/viewforum.php?f=8

General Patton
10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I just stumbled upon this analysis of J'en ai marre while digging around in the Alizée Alliance (the French forum linked from Le Nid d'Alizée, the site who's webmaster received the letter from Alizée). I only thought the song was hinting at other things, I mean the conclusions drawn in this will completely change how you feel about the song. It was done by Marine, a 16 year member, but a quick check of the comments show that most people that commented on it seem to agree that it for the most part seems plausible, but might be stretching it a bit. Here's the analysis in French (I'll post a transalation later if wanted). http://www1.france-jeunes.net/lire-de-quoi-parle-j-en-ai-marre-8415.htm

Shouldn't it be for male masturbation?

Ciberaztec
10-01-2006, 07:44 PM
What Prefer For AlizÉe, A Song That Still Has Subject Even If That Is The Feminine Masturbation Or A Banal Song? Anyway, Children Are Exposed To See And To Hear Much More Aggressive Things In Fact, In Addition A Boy Or Young Person, I Do Not Believe That They Have The Analysis Capacity That Has Marine.

Ale.

P.d. Thanks To Marine Anyway, Now I Like More This Song Than Ever.

HibyPrime
10-01-2006, 07:51 PM
What Prefer For AlizÉe, A Song That Still Has Subject Even If That Is The Feminine Masturbation Or A Banal Song? Anyway, Children Are Exposed To See And To Hear Much More Aggressive Things In Fact, In Addition A Boy Or Young Person, I Do Not Believe That They Have The Analysis Capacity That Has Marine.

Ale.

P.d. Thanks To Marine Anyway, Now I Like More This Song Than Ever.

WHAT??????

RMJ
10-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Yup, you are right. Most of the young people don't see the sexual context of this song. They don't have enough of life experience on that areas so it doesn't have any meaning to them. They only see the outer layer of this song. That's why Mylène's lyrics are excellent. There is double meanings, which you can only see if you understand what they are hinting about. She don't need to say it straight out but through metaphors, and still it's clearly seen if you just understand the metaphor. And that's where you need the life experience, you learn these sub-meanings little by little during your life time.

Ciberaztec
10-01-2006, 10:54 PM
That's Absolutely Right!
Short Ago I Found Something Like That For The Song "hey Amigo", Was Made A Very Good Analysis In Thee. I Hope Some More Song Analysis Be Comming As Well As "glory", 'cos That's What AlizÉe Means For Me.
Ale.

brad
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
That's Absolutely Right!
Short Ago I Found Something Like That For The Song "hey Amigo", Was Made A Very Good Analysis In Thee. I Hope Some More Song Analysis Be Comming As Well As "glory", 'cos That's What AlizÉe Means For Me.
Ale.

http://mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=1074

check out there .. translations / analysis to read for days on end :)

keep in mind though, most of these were done a couple years ago ... and those guys don't like people bumping up old threads.

Ciberaztec
10-01-2006, 11:10 PM
"oky Doky" Thanks For The Link.
Ale.

Twitch
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks brad, I just linked to the forum index and after realising that that thread would be the easiset way to find them all was going to edit my post but you saved me the trouble.:)

General Patton
10-01-2006, 11:48 PM
http://mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=1074

check out there .. translations / analysis to read for days on end :)

keep in mind though, most of these were done a couple years ago ... and those guys don't like people bumping up old threads.
Thanks for linky brad!

riva2model64
10-01-2006, 11:52 PM
thanks for the link brad and welcome to moi-alizee.us Ciberaztec!!

C-4
10-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I feel that people will interpret a song as they hear it and read the lyrics individually. It doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.

As for the zuchini part, Alizée stated that zuchini actually does make her ill...she is allergic to them.

When I hear the song, I hear IV-V-I-VIm and all the musical parts. I hear the production, Alizée's voice and how it makes me feel. I was never much into words as I play music and hear the songs on a different level then non-musicians.

It's all good, but too much over-analying only ruins every aspect of the song to me. It's not a college course, it's a beautiful example of a pop song sung magnificantly with great orchestral arrangement and production values.

By over-analying the song you are mentally masturbating over something that is simply to be interpreted on an individual basis.

The professors that I had in school that tried to over-analyze every thing we read, in my humble opinion are simply full of bullshit and pomposity.

RMJ
10-03-2006, 09:44 AM
It's all good, but too much over-analying only ruins every aspect of the song to me. It's not a college course, it's a beautiful example of a pop song sung magnificantly with great orchestral arrangement and production values.

Why does it ruin the song ?

Music is form of art. Extremely fine form of art. And art was born to be analyzed. You cannot understand it if you don't analyze it. You cannot understands painting if you don't look into it. You may see the overall image, but you don't understand the choices made for it, why it looks as it looks. Same with music. Of course, you can form your opinion when listening to music, even if you don't understand it. But if you really want to know what is behind the song, you must analyze it as a whole. If you want to understand the background of the song, why it was written, why it was composed, you need to dig deeper. It may not be relevant to you but to some people it is. They want to see deeper into this art. They want to understand the very nature of the song. They want to know if there is another aspect to this song, if they can see what the writer sees in it or is it another view that they see. Can they catch the feelings of the writer and composer who created it, can they understand why the song was made in the first place. That, is archived by analyzing.

Rocket
10-03-2006, 10:36 AM
LOL I take it you guys never heard the song by Cyndi Lauper...She Bop!

neoteny
10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
i love that song by lauper. funny...how she sings about playgirl magazines and ...other ...things

spysmasher
10-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I’m afraid I have to disagree with you, RMJ, especially when you say “art was born to be analyzed.” On the contrary, I would say that art was born to be enjoyed, savored, admired. “Analysis” is a whole ‘nother critter. I’m not saying that art shouldn’t be analyzed, but such analysis is secondary to what art is all about. To put it another way, analysis is an intellectual endeavor; while art is primarily emotional and aesthetic. Sure, intellect enters into the creation and enjoyment of art, but its role is always secondary. Art aims for the gut more than the head. To bring this back down to earth: one of the things I like about listening to Alizee is the fact that I don’t know what she’s actually saying! This makes listening to her music a more purely aesthetic experience for me, rather like listening to instrumental music with Alizee’s voice as the primary instrument.

All that being said, as a “rational animal” I can’t help but wonder what Alizee is actually saying in her songs, and I have looked at a translation or two (as well as a few commentaries, such as those on J’en ai Marre). And while I would concede that understanding the meaning of the song can enhance one’s enjoyment and appreciation of it, I have to agree with C-4’s contention that over-analysis kills.

brad
10-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I can’t help but wonder what Alizee is actually saying in her songs.

The question you should be asking isn't what is 'Alizee' saying .. it should be 'What is Mylene saying' .. Mylene wrote the songs.

spysmasher
10-03-2006, 05:36 PM
The question you should be asking isn't what is 'Alizee' saying .. it should be 'What is Mylene saying' .. Mylene wrote the songs.

True. Although all I meant there was that I sometimes wonder as to the meaning of the words being sung by Alizee.

RMJ
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I’m afraid I have to disagree with you, RMJ, especially when you say “art was born to be analyzed.” On the contrary, I would say that art was born to be enjoyed, savored, admired. “Analysis” is a whole ‘nother critter. I’m not saying that art shouldn’t be analyzed, but such analysis is secondary to what art is all about. To put it another way, analysis is an intellectual endeavor; while art is primarily emotional and aesthetic. Sure, intellect enters into the creation and enjoyment of art, but its role is always secondary. Art aims for the gut more than the head. To bring this back down to earth: one of the things I like about listening to Alizee is the fact that I don’t know what she’s actually saying! This makes listening to her music a more purely aesthetic experience for me, rather like listening to instrumental music with Alizee’s voice as the primary instrument.
Yes indeed, you can enjoy the song the fullest even without knowing what it is about. But, you don't understand it. You most likely don't see it like the artists. You see beautiful scenery painted, which can be pleasure as is, but why it was painted ? Why did the artist paint that instead of some other scenery ? What is special in that particular scenery, what caught the heart of artist in it... That's why it is important to analyze art. All forms of art. To see the beauty of the art below the outer layer. The outer layer may be pretty but the inner may be something amazing. So, as I said, art is meant to be analyzed. Without it, you will not understand it, you can only enjoy of it.

spysmasher
10-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes indeed, you can enjoy the song the fullest even without knowing what it is about. But, you don't understand it. You most likely don't see it like the artists. You see beautiful scenery painted, which can be pleasure as is, but why it was painted ? Why did the artist paint that instead of some other scenery ? What is special in that particular scenery, what caught the heart of artist in it... That's why it is important to analyze art. All forms of art. To see the beauty of the art below the outer layer. The outer layer may be pretty but the inner may be something amazing. So, as I said, art is meant to be analyzed. Without it, you will not understand it, you can only enjoy of it.

Well, RMJ, I suppose we just have different philosophies of art (which is not what this thread started off being about – sorry for the diversion!). But even if we don’t see eye-to-eye on the role of “analysis” in relation to art, I think we can agree that Alizee’s musical performance (by which I mean the singing, the dancing, the stage presence … the “whole package”) is indeed a work of art, the enjoyment and appreciation of which we share in common.

RMJ
10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Of course it's wonderful as is. How could it not be when she's doing it.

But also, don't you want to know how she feels when doing so ? Don't you want to know what brings that cute little smile to her face when performing and singing ?

spysmasher
10-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes, of course. When I first stumbled across Alizee a couple of months ago, I thought she was amazing. I enjoyed her music immensely before I knew a thing about her. But, naturally, my enjoyment of her music awakened in me a desire to learn about her, to find out who she is, what she’s like, etc. Hey, that’s what led me to this site in the first place! But learning about Alizee herself is not primarily what I had in mind when talking about “analyzing” her music. I was thinking mainly of picking apart the lyrics of her songs (like J’en ai Marre) … which, as Brad pointed out, Alizee herself did not even write. I think C-4 was making the point that you can get too bogged down in that sort of thing and spoil the pleasure of just listening to the song … and I agree with him on that.

Believe it or not, I actually tend to be very analytical most of the time. I suppose that’s why I take so much pleasure in being able to shut off the “analysis mode” and just enjoy Alizee’s music without trying to understand it.

Ciberaztec
10-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Good, very good men, do not fit doubt, there are much intelligent people around this forum, we all have different points of view respect to art, and in my opinion all points of view are valid and interesting, but the best thing of everything is feedback us with the diversity of opinions with respect to this topic, remember, there is no learning without contradiction, we have something in common, we all enjoyed Alizee's songs from our personal point of view.

Marquis<3Alizée
08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Wow very intresting, damn I singing the lyrics in my head and it's sorta turning me on jajajaja j/k

alizeefan
08-10-2010, 08:51 PM
It seems to me that the song it about being fed up. Sick and tired of things, politics, life, sex, etc....

And she's also singing about getting away from it all.

If you want to see that as just relaxing in the tub away from life's troubles, great!

Or it is about melting away life's troubles through some self pleasure.

It is up to you to decide. :) :) :) :) :) :)

I was going to say the same thing here it is up to the listener to decide .
Most musicians write that way as well usually won't commit when interviewed that a song is about one specific meaning . I cant remember who it was i think David Byrne of the Talking Heads once in an interview stated while talking to a fan about a song meaning something he had never heard before and he agreed with the fans reasoning . Saying he was right it is about that and it was something he the writer even had never thought of . Which was many decades after the songs release , Mr Byrne adding again my main point that it will have multiple meanings depending on the listeners perspective .

All " good " composers will play on words and sounds like that because when you have to think about it then it keeps you interested to think more about it . Anyway . . .

I think ALL who think it is about any ONE idea are missing the MAJOR point of this song please read the lyrics below - lament - obsess over a fixed idea . Life is about choices and being open not it is this ONE thing and thats how it is . Again it is up to the listener to decide ., today you may think one thing but tomorrow another and each day or year that passes again more variations .

I'm fed up with those who cry,
Those who don't go faster than 2 kph,
Who lament and who obsess
Over the idea of a fixed idea,

Which is funny that in the song itself is fed up over the idea of fixed ideas yet some will do exactly that over the song with those lyrics .

I agree with alot of what DJ_Greg has been saying. First guys, keep in mind that the "official" English version, I'm Fed Up, is not the same lyrically as the French original. That means you've got to look at some translations if you don't understand French, and preferably more than one translation because no single go at the song will yield every single nuance from French to English. Some good translations to look at are the ones here, the one on alizee-fanpage.com, and the one on mf-international.com. From those I think it's pretty obvious that the song isn't only about masturbation, but that is one of the things alluded to (just look at the last verse). You've got to listen to the song too, it's not all in the lyrics but in the sounds (the "oui"s, etc.), and watch the videos. I mean, just the goldfish for example - it's a bit weird to be taking a bath with a Fish, so clearly this is a metaphor for several things. I think the sexual connotation is fairly obvious, though of course it's not the only one because there's also the expression someone says when they feel trapped and scrutinized: "I feel like a goldfish in a bowl". I think that's what the official video is mostly about: Alizée is the goldfish, in her glass cage, being watched by us her audience / the camera. I've always taken the throwing of the still camera to be a reference to paparazzi.

Well put... Now where is that Goldfish smiley . . . <.)
One thing though my thoughts were it/she was a Goldfish toy , kinda like a rubber ducky , not a real fishy :p But again i agree with your gist .