PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's time for a new approach.

Scruffydog777
06-28-2009, 04:25 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ptsh-YRwFQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ptsh-YRwFQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,4,7,1112" ID="MyWMP272428" width="240" height="192"><param name="ShowControls" value="1"><param name="AutoStart" value="0"><param name="AnimationatStart" value="0"><param name="EnablePositionControls" value="0"><param name="EnableTracker" value="0"><param name="Rate" value="1"><param name="ShowPositionControls" value="0"><param name="ShowStatusBar" value="1"><param name="StretchToFit" value="1"><param name="uiMode" value="mini"><param name="SRC" value="http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=1119&CID=272428"><param name="URL" value="http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=1119&CID=272428"><embed type="application/x-mplayer2" Name="MyWMP272428" Width="240" Height="192" ShowControls="1" AutoStart="0" AnimationatStart="0" EnablePositionControls="0" EnableTracker="0" Rate="1" ShowPositionControls="0" ShowStatusBar="1" ShowTracker="0" uiMode="mini" stretchToFit="1" Pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/" Src="http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=1119&CID=272428" Url="http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=1119&CID=272428"></embed></object>
I keep trying to spread the word of Alizée but it's been a very long, slow struggle with very few significant gains. I've given away many dvd's I've made up, and I show her music to just about everyone I can and called music stations asking if there was anyway they could possibly play some of her music but to date, not one station has.Unfortunately I think the fact that most of her better music, especially her songs in English which are so critical for her to have success in this country are over 5 years old, is something radio stations look at if they do ever consider playing her music. Hopefully the release of her new album will change all that.

Her two most recent English songs, Hung up and the Sound of Silence were not original hits and though I enjoy them, quite frankly I'm sure the average listener would much prefer the songs by their original singers. So time I think is weighing heavily against us. Unless this new album has a very good song in English on it, I think were fighting a major battle with a dwindling supply of ammunition, so I think it may be time for a different approach.

I think one thing that could be attractive to some segment of the entertainment industry in this country is the story of Alizée. I've seen the threads for street teams and net teams but that seems to be for contacting the potential fans, or contacting radio stations which in the few times that have worked has only resulted in them playing one of her songs. I think we need to target our efforts in a new direction. Try to get some program to do a story about Alizée that will feature several of her songs. This is what would really get people interested in her music. It's a story that I'm sure a lot of people in this country would enjoy.

How would that story go?

It would start on Corsica, an island off the southern coast of France, where she and also Napoleon were born.
It would also start with her beautiful name. Alizée. Whose parents named her after a tradewind that blows through parts of Africa and the Caribbean because they loved to sail.
Then how she was persuaded by a friend to enter a talent competition as a dancer, couldn't enter the dance competition because it was for teams and she was by herself, so she entered the singing competition instead and came in second, but more importantly, in the process, got noticed by MF (one of France's most successful female artists) and LB (Mf and LB is another interesting story in itself). They talked her and her parents to letting her drop out of high school so she could move to Paris to pursue a career in music, but she still flew home every weekend to be with family and friends.

She released her first song and video when she was still 15. It was controversial, but it was also a huge hit in Europe.

She didn't exactly go from rags to riches, but did go from being a totally unknown to someone who was dancing and singing her way all across Europe in a very short time.

She had a song at #1 on the charts and another at #3 for 3 months in France. Something no other artist had ever accomplished there.

Released 2 albums that met with great success.

Performed at Paris city hall during the 100th running of the Tour de France

Performed at the Eiffel tower on an occassion celebrating the installation of strobe lights all up and down the tower. There were 350,000 people in attendance.

Met a handsome singer/musician. Flew off to Las Vegas to get married!

Disappeared off the radar for over 3 years. Had a baby during that time and is now attemping a comeback.
She released a new album. One that was an experimet for her, trying to find out what style worked best.
Despite doing well in Mexico,she has fallen on tough times in Europe with 2 concerts cancelled within a 6 month span, in Paris, a place she now calls home, cancelled due to low ticket sales (despite what her management says.).

Now she is due to release a new album. Will she have learned from the experiment and once again sell out 6 concerts in one week in Paris as she did back in 2003 or maybe she'll have to cancel another concert, something that would set a more dubious record ( Hey you got to make the story sound interesting if you want someone to cover it.)

Then there's Alizée the person. Who even though she came under the influence of Mylene Farmer at a young age, at a time where she could have been easily influenced by this notorious personality, a very controversial singer/writer who had Alizée singing some controversial songs and wearing some revealing outfits, she never let it affect her as a person. There were never any stories about her being pulled over for dui, no late night parties, no wardrobe malfunctions, no fights with her parents, no train wrecks. Just a person who stayed as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside.

Then there's the two Stars a Domicile shows. The great story of her and Jessica and the first show too, where her reaction on stage showed you a glimpse of what she the person was like.

Then theres the shows shes done for charity.

So this is what I think is a very interesting story. I'd like to know what other people think. Is this a good approach?
Is there more that should be added? Are there things that should be left out?

I've thought Entertainment tonight would be a great show to try and contact, but it turns out they're a very tough outfit to try and contact, with no direct e-mail contacts, but I've found some contact info for some of the producers which I will pursue.

I sent WGBH a letter. They're a public broadcast company. They cover a lot of international topics and often have music specials. I saw somebody else suggest PBS before and the idea wasn't that well recieved. I think mainly because they have a smaller audience than your name brand networks. But if they ever produced and aired a story on Alizée, I'd bet you a magazine like People would be much more likely to do a story on her.

I sent People magazine a letter. A magazine isn't really the type of media I was looking for, but it could be a good target. It would be awesome to see Alizée's picture in People. They have a lot of readers and I'm sure this would generate a lot of interest in her music.

I sent these two letters out last week, so I haven't heard back yet.

I made up a video to send along with the letter. The original was about 271 MB long. It first showcased her songs in English, which like I said before I think is key for her having success or at least having her story told here. Then I included several of her French songs, first starting off with 4 songs from En Concert so they could hear her "live" voice, and also a clip from Stars a Domicile. Unfortunately it's too big to e-mail. Comcast only allows files 5 MB in size, so I signed up for G Mail because that allows 10 MB, but alas I found most of these e-mail attachments can only be 1 MB in size. So I had to do quite a bit of cutting and the final product is of a poor quality but it's that's the way it has to be then so be it. I'll attach them here so you can see both files for yourselves. The original I wanted to send, then the final product.

When possible, If I get a mailing address, I'll send dvd's to these companies with whatever videos I feel will be best suited for each.
I'm sure a lot of these companies are flooded with e-mails and regular mail, a lot of which probably never get read. If I don't hear back from them. I'll contact them again a few weeks later.

So let me know what your thoughts are on the subject. Has anyone tried this approach before?
And if you think it's a good approach, maybe some people could supply contact info for shows that maybe are exclusive to their part of the country but are shows that do cover the entertainment industry. Getting e-mail addresses or regular mail addresses would be a lot more helpful than just the name of a company.

lefty12357
06-28-2009, 04:57 PM
I was thinking about this today as well, after reading another thread. I was preparing a rather lengthy post myself on the subject. I'll put some of it here instead because it follows with what you are saying.

It’s been discussed here before, but it seems people are more likely to become fans if they are allowed to discover Alizée for themselves. We are an enthusiastic bunch and are likely to give people the “hard sell”. People often put up barriers once they are exposed to that.

Getting Alizée played in clubs and on radio would probably work best because it exposes people to her and allows them to discover her for themselves. One of my local radio stations (they do their own programming locally) does requests every Saturday night. They even play Yelle! I requested Alizée and even mailed them Psych so they would have it on hand, but no luck. The wall we have to beat down is mighty strong. Maybe stations like this around the US could be identified and targeted with a more concerted (but measured) effort. We want success, but we don’t want to piss everyone off.

Another possibility is to get the US media to do a story on her. I think Alizée’s story is interesting. She is not like other pop stars, she’s from Corsica, she has US fans and she has been somewhat of an internet phenomenon. There are a lot of interesting angles in which to approach such a story. Disney, what about you? The connection is obvious and I’m sure you could get some mileage out of it as well.

Just a few minutes in prime time is a powerful thing. When I saw like 30 seconds of the video Parler Tout Bas on TV, the imagery, Alizée’s face and voice stuck with me for 5 years. It wasn’t until 2006 that I rediscovered her and put 2 and 2 together. In any case, the seed was planted and I became a fan.

I like the “Disc Drop” idea too, but I’m not sure if it has been very fruitful to date. It may require a massive effort to work. Winning fans over one at a time by word of mouth is fine, but I doubt it will lead to the success we hope for. I wish I had the knowledge, skills or connections to make any of the above happen, but I don’t. If anyone out there has access to a person involved with radio or TV media, maybe we can get an “in” somewhere, or at least some sound advice on how to proceed in such an endeavor.

We probably aren’t lacking in ideas. We are lacking in organization and effort, but I think its coming. However small, there is the possibility of success if our best ideas are identified and put into real action.

I think the bottom line is putting all our good ideas into action. Scruffy, I think the media idea has great possibilities and I hope you are successful. As I said, I wish we had access to an industry insider. It sure would help.

Alex
06-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I agree with both of you guys we are beginning to really show Alizee to America. However like lefty12357 we lack in organization. There is a big tough barrier we have to bring down but if we get organized and focus our publicity on main targets like cities, age groups, radio/ TV stations we will succeed. I dont know if anyone has tried this but why no contact SONY music here in the US and tell them to start an official publicuty for Alizee. Anyway we are all doing our part, but once again we have to work together and get organized to reach our goal.

Ben
06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Another possibility is to get the US media to do a story on her. I think Alizée’s story is interesting. She is not like other pop stars, she’s from Corsica, she has US fans and she has been somewhat of an internet phenomenon. There are a lot of interesting angles in which to approach such a story.
Know you made the same point Scruffy, but Lefty summed it up well. It's a good idea. What we need is an "EPK", or "electronic press kit": typically a ~15 min infomercial-style video made by an artist's promoter and sent out to the media. Ideally a job for someplace like Sony with original footage, but if they won't do it maybe we can. It would entail more than your average fan vid though, like narration explaining the "Alizée story", etc.

Scruffydog777
06-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Know you made the same point Scruffy, but Lefty summed it up well. It's a good idea. What we need is an "EPK", or "electronic press kit": typically a ~15 min infomercial-style video made by an artist's promoter and sent out to the media. Ideally a job for someplace like Sony with original footage, but if they won't do it maybe we can. It would entail more than your average fan vid though, like narration explaining the "Alizée story", etc.

I'm sure Sony wont do it on there own, so how do we approach them to get them to create such a video? I would think something along the lines of an electronic petition would be good but I think what would be even better is if we could get as many fans as possible to send in individual e-mails with such a request. We'd have to contact the other Alizée forums to get them to help out in order for something like that to work.

Alex
06-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Exactly! We all have to group up and send individual letters to radio/tv stations, and yes contact all Alizee forums here in the US to help out. By them receiving many requests of one new artist they will research who this artist is and how successful she has been internationaly.

Ben
06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm sure Sony wont do it on there own, so how do we approach them to get them to create such a video? I would think something along the lines of an electronic petition would be good but I think what would be even better is if we could get as many fans as possible to send in individual e-mails with such a request. We'd have to contact the other Alizée forums to get them to help out in order for something like that to work.
Well I meant we could make a video like that ourselves, though yeah maybe that's another way to do it.

Alex
06-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Well yeah evryone of us have have different talents and abilities that we could contribute for Alizee's promotion. The thing is whatver we do, is send it all to one place at a time so they could get as many fan promotions as possible. We could work together to do such video organize it well, edited it, mix it and send it. I think we are begginnig to do progress with great ideas!

alizeeindia
06-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Exactly! We all have to group up and send individual letters to radio/tv stations, and yes contact all Alizee forums here in the US to help out. By them receiving many requests of one new artist they will research who this artist is and how successful she has been internationaly.

This one is a real great idea. Only the intensity is required. You need to do what Mexicans did there. But one thing is sure, if she could engulf the entire Europe into her charm, then she can do the same to America as well. And if by the way she becomes a phenomenon in US, she will have some impact in India as Well:).

Best of Luck to you, Guyz:)

Alex
06-29-2009, 01:12 PM
There we go! Thanx Alizeeindia for your support! and yes if we could promeote her the correct way in America she could also become a new phenomenon. I mean come on she has conquered Europe, Asia, Latin America, she only needs the United States. We can do it!

Ruroshen
06-29-2009, 02:48 PM
What we need is an "EPK", or "electronic press kit": typically a ~15 min infomercial-style video made by an artist's promoter and sent out to the media. Ideally a job for someplace like Sony with original footage, but if they won't do it maybe we can. It would entail more than your average fan vid though, like narration explaining the "Alizée story", etc.

This is a great idea. I'm not so much about the video editing, but I'd be interested in writing and/or narrating for it, if this was a project we decided to take on.

AlizéeDuSiècle
06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
i kinda did that on youtube but this idea is cool not as long

exile
06-29-2009, 04:25 PM

C-4
06-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Dave,
Great video and work you did!
Stephen

jung_adore_ALIZEE
06-30-2009, 07:21 AM
yes if we could promeote her the correct way in America she could also become a new phenomenon.

the right promotion in the USA requires new material

I mean come on she has conquered Europe, Asia, Latin America, she only needs the United States. We can do it!

let;s be completely honest here
Europe- she was quite popular there at one time, but now not so
Asia-never was that big a bit of a following in Japan
Latin America- a significant following in Mexico and even there it isn't as big as people think it is

so in conclusion she needs work everywhere at the moment

my .02

Scruffydog777
06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
the right promotion in the USA requires new material

let;s be completely honest here
Europe- she was quite popular there at one time, but now not so
Asia-never was that big a bit of a following in Japan
Latin America- a significant following in Mexico and even there it isn't as big as people think it is

so in conclusion she needs work everywhere at the moment

my .02

I think you kind of missed the drift of this thread. You're right that to get radio stations to play her music might require some new material, especially considering the songs that had the most success are over 5 years old,but what I was suggesting was to get someone to do a program on the story of Alizée, which is a very good story imo, a very interesting story and an on-going story. A story about a woman who is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. A story that is at a very exciting and crucial point. How well will this new album do? Will it be her downfall or will it be a re-birth of her popularity in Europe?

puffyrock2
06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
For me the answer to her becoming popular here is quite simple, and english language album. I've seen it many times, Utada Hikaru and BoA, both of whom sang in japanese and korean, have been making a splash stateside since their english albums.

Most people are too closed minded to appreciate music not in english. Domestic reissues of her existing albums would really help as well. As long as neither of these happen i don't see much of a change.

AlizéeDuSiècle
06-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Most people are too closed minded to appreciate music not in english.

Sounds like my brother

Alizee Nation
06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Interesting subject, where do I start?

I really like the idea of the...shall we say...unauthorized biography. From Corsica to the coloring contest to...well you get the idea. I like it a lot. I believe the shorter the better because the lack of attention spans but realize that everyone of us would want to just load it up because we all find her so interesting. I do think that would be awesome but would like to see it accompanied by a 'trailer', a 30 to 60 second spot designed as a hook for the biography.

Promoting Alizee. This is a tough nut to crack from many perspectives. I have found that just because Alizee is my favorite does not mean that she will be everyone's favorite. As incredulous as this may sound to you now, it is true. You may love a certain car, you think everyone will just love it too, but... Not a reason to not try but just keep that in mind. I started the blog for a lot of reasons, that's a story for another day, but the feedback of information regarding this subject has made me rethink the whole if you build it they will come phenomena business.

There was a thread on here that I think hit home...we are a cult. That is not that far off. There are deadheads and Alizeeheads. Taking that to the next level is a whole new challenge.

Our friend DisqueDrop ran an interesting social experiment in an attempt to hand out free CD's. Just not as easy as it seems.

Then there is Alizee. What does she want to do? No matter what we may all think that she wants we really do not know. I just posted a Motley Fool article in which Alizee is mentioned as a millionaire. I had to sleep on that myself. I know how successful things have been and that she made a lot of money, but to see it in "print" on a financial site, it really made me think. She is just over 7 weeks away from her 25th birthday, a quarter century, married 5 1/2 years, has a 4 year old, has mentioned she wants another child. She is living the European Dream. A new phenomena in its own, surpassing the American Dream. What does Alizee want to do at this point in time? Is America on her 'to do' list? Is it a balance between her career and family? Can we make her a phenom without her help?

Here is something I might take as a hint: from wikipedia
"Following the success of Alizée En Concert and Psychédélices in Mexico, Alizée's former music label, Universal Music released a compilation album, titled "Tout Alizée". The compilation, which is a Mexico-only release"
And even Alizee's official youtube I can not view the featured video due to location restrictions.
No releases in North America?
Yet her web pages and twitters are in English...clearly communicating to North America, I think... geez I'm just not sure. I guess it boils down to a more basic problem for me, woman, I can't read them no matter where they are from. :) or should it be :(

I would like to know more about how things are officially "released". What does it mean? I know someone can help me on that and then throw in what is officially released in America.

At this point I feel there would need to be some type of "Perfect Storm" recipe for success on an 'American phenom' level. The biography idea is a great place to start. Emphasize her uniqueness. For example Alizee's unusual absences make her a more interesting person. Flip a perceived negative to a fascinating positive - it is for me! She has me hooked.

Just some rambling thoughts.
Lefty and Ruro go easy on me

lefty12357
06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Interesting subject, where do I start?

I really like the idea of the...shall we say...unauthorized biography. From Corsica to the coloring contest to...well you get the idea. I like it a lot. I believe the shorter the better because the lack of attention spans but realize that everyone of us would want to just load it up because we all find her so interesting. I do think that would be awesome but would like to see it accompanied by a 'trailer', a 30 to 60 second spot designed as a hook for the biography.

I like the biography idea too.

Then there is Alizee. What does she want to do? No matter what we may all think that she wants we really do not know. I just posted a Motley Fool article in which Alizee is mentioned as a millionaire. I had to sleep on that myself. I know how successful things have been and that she made a lot of money, but to see it in "print" on a financial site, it really made me think. She is just over 7 weeks away from her 25th birthday, a quarter century, married 5 1/2 years, has a 4 year old, has mentioned she wants another child. She is living the European Dream. A new phenomena in its own, surpassing the American Dream. What does Alizee want to do at this point in time? Is America on her 'to do' list? Is it a balance between her career and family? Can we make her a phenom without her help?

I imagine the USA and Canada are not on Alizée’s “to do” list. More than likely Mexico wasn’t either. But Mexico laid the foundation for her and almost handed it to her on a silver platter. How could she resist that? The Mexican fans were even calling her house, if I remember right. I would go so far as to say Mexico helped to keep her career alive.

If Europe continues to not produce the sales needed for her to keep going, I suspect she will take advantage of other opportunities that present themselves in the future. If the USA and Canada can offer her something like the Mexicans did, she may very well accept it. If her new album sells big in Europe, there may be less incentive for her to go abroad.

Alizée may be a millionaire, but there is more to life than money and I would assume she would like to keep recording and performing. I think we all believe Alizée is mostly practical when it comes to money and though she may like to shop, I don’t think she leads a lavish lifestyle. Having said that, I believe she still will need to make money for the long haul to live the life she wants. So I believe she has the desire and the need to keep going, both financially and artistically. New territory may be needed, especially if things fall off a bit in Mexico and Europe doesn’t embrace her again.

Here is something I might take as a hint: from wikipedia
"Following the success of Alizée En Concert and Psychédélices in Mexico, Alizée's former music label, Universal Music released a compilation album, titled "Tout Alizée". The compilation, which is a Mexico-only release"
And even Alizee's official youtube I can not view the featured video due to location restrictions.
No releases in North America?
Yet her web pages and twitters are in English...clearly communicating to North America, I think... geez I'm just not sure. I guess it boils down to a more basic problem for me, woman, I can't read them no matter where they are from. :) or should it be :(

I would like to know more about how things are officially "released". What does it mean? I know someone can help me on that and then throw in what is officially released in America.

At this point I feel there would need to be some type of "Perfect Storm" recipe for success on an 'American phenom' level. The biography idea is a great place to start. Emphasize her uniqueness. For example Alizee's unusual absences make her a more interesting person. Flip a perceived negative to a fascinating positive - it is for me! She has me hooked.

My guess is that she is using English because of its prevalence, and if it isn't your first language, it seems to be everyone's second language. It's probably the easiest way for her to address all international fans. I don't know to what extent it is addressed to those of us in the USA and Canada, but one would like to believe we are in her thoughts as well...:) As far as the video restrictions go, I found it interesting when she put videos on her myspace that were actually linked to fan's Youtube pages so they would show anywhere.

I would say that success is a matter of degree, not an “all or nothing” proposition. If she becomes only somewhat known in the USA and sells between 50,000 – 100,000 discs here, she might consider that a great success and well worth a visit. That may not be an impossible goal to achieve in a market of 300 million people.

I always keep in mind that Alizée’s record company has much to say about all this, and they want to make money and achieve their goals as well. They can also pull the plug on Alizée’s career if the money isn’t there or if she won’t cooperate. Her goals may not be the same as the record company’s, but she must keep them happy as well. So they may decide whether she comes to the North America or not. It’s a balancing act for her. I hope she can have success in all the places mentioned, and still have the life she wants and keep the record company happy.

And yes, she has me hooked too...:D

Vista
06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
There are many elementary, middle and high schools (and colleges) in the USA that teach beginning French language. I suspect that some instructors use music as part of their teaching technique.

What would be the most efficient method to make French language instructors aware of Alizee music (both aural and visual) as a method to teach the language?

What about searching for school web sites that have a French language program and emailing Alizee music links (and links to French lyrics of Alizee songs) to associated department heads and individual instructors? (As many of you know, AlizeeAmerica.com has an excellent reference library of Alizee music videos and lyrics, in French and English.)

lefty12357
06-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Interesting idea. We have at least 2 French immersion schools here and I will look into contacting them and see if they would be interested. I think I've seen one or two posts here or on another Alizée fan site talking about how her music was played in a French class. Since exposure to French is more intense in an immersion school, I would think there would be more of an opportunity for this to work in such a school.

http://www.edina.k12.mn.us/normandale/

http://frenchimmersion.spps.org/

Vista
06-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Google keyword search: french immersion shools
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=french+immersion+schools&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Altavista
http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=french+immersion+schools&kgs=1&kls=0

Dogpile
http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/results/Web/french%20immersion%20shools/1/417/TopNavigation/Relevance/iq=true/zoom=off/_iceUrlFlag=7?_IceUrl=true

Metacrawler
http://www.metacrawler.com/metacrawler/ws/results/Web/french%20immersion%20shools/1/417/TopNavigation/Relevance/iq=true/zoom=off/_iceUrlFlag=7?_IceUrl=true

edgar93
06-30-2009, 05:17 PM
There are many elementary, middle and high schools (and colleges) in the USA that teach beginning French language. I suspect that some instructors use music as part of their teaching technique.

What would be the most efficient method to make French language instructors aware of Alizee music (both aural and visual) as a method to teach the language?

Good idea, which reminds me I had the Benny Benassi JPVA remix played at an event in my school (sorry If I already mentioned it :D), which has a french program.
I never took any french course, but I know that the students think they are boring, not many of them are interested in the French language.
I think the best method to make French language instructors aware of Alizee music is by providing them with CDs. This would work best if you are involved in the course or school, of course.

Alex
06-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I also think it's a very good idea. Vista and Edgar have a ponit; "What would be the most efficient method to make French language instructors aware of Alizee music (both aural and visual) as a method to teach the language? ", and that its true most French learners dont pay attention to the class bacuase it seems boring and not interesting.
By being able to give out these videos they could inlcude like said before, original music videos with English and French Subtitles so students may see both ways and meanings. I am pretty sure it would be something new in the classroom and students would really pay attention to the "new lessons". We would just have to leave them in the teachers' mailbox at school including info about the source and how it would help the students in learning. Pretty good idea Vista.

wasabi622
06-30-2009, 06:50 PM
i dont' know how important the French language is in getting Alizee here.. i mean, i don't speak of word of it, and Im an addict, whereas i've taken 4 years of Spanish, and am a native speaker of Korean.. but don't listen to Spanish or Korean music.

Vista
06-30-2009, 08:18 PM
@wasabi622:
I would suspect a French instructor might use Alizee music to make the French language more interesting. My (our) intent is to provide a greater exposure to Alizee through a viral marketing technique of sorts. I would assess the technique as being successful if only several students of each class developed an interest in Alizee and her music; and those students could in turn influence some of their friends, and so on.

Multiply this type exposure by many French instructors using Alizee music to enhance the students' interest and maybe Alizee's music career may be significantly enhanced in the USA... a win situation for all.

So, me personally, I am interested in promoting Alizee, not learning French in an academic sense. :)

Scruffydog777
06-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I think you're right Vista, but anything that will get more exposure for Alizée is worth the effort and I think contacting French instructors is a great effort. I think trying to get radio stations to play her songs is something we should keep on trying. But the main focus here is to get someone to do a program about Alizée, that would have several of her songs in addtition to telling her story. It would get her the type of exposure in this country that could have great results. It could make her a household name.

jung_adore_ALIZEE
06-30-2009, 09:40 PM
I think you kind of missed the drift of this thread.

I didn't miss it I was just stating my opinion on what was said ;)

the fact of the matter is that without new material it'll be a stretch to get new fans in the states and an even farther stretch for the media to do a story on her

AlizéeDuSiècle
06-30-2009, 10:20 PM
thank you AI

Karlalizee
07-02-2009, 09:10 AM
there is a alizee fan club that started in mexico city. this club did things like hold garage and bake sales and asked for dontations to get money to promote alizee. they printed t-shirts, visors, posters, photo cards and even cd's with a few of her songs. they visited malls, market places, plazas and radio stations. they brought a boombox, played her music and gave away free stuff all in order to get her name to the public. they hounded small local radio stations to play her music. once it got on the air, people from other cities and towns started hearing and gaining interest. soon more fan clubs started in other towns and as more and more radio stations started playing her music, the faster her fame spread. i hope this is helpful and has given some of you ideas.

Tomtentp
07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
About the "Does she really want to be promoted" thing
The goal with the promotion is to make her bigger thus allowing us to see more of her, it's not like we are trying to save the world or anything (maybe from ignorance perhaps). We do it for ourselves and not neccesary for Alizée (depends on how you view it ofc) so having fun while doing the promotion is essential, we shouldn't make such a big deal out of it.

Of course it's always fun to see the fruit of your achievements and know that you are actually effecting people but I think it's better to do something rather than performing wonders.

Let's do like the mexicans, get togheter, grab a beer, play some Alizée on the loudest volume while having a great time.

*Tomten calls for a group hug*
:)

there is a alizee fan club that started in mexico city. this club did things like hold garage and bake sales and asked for dontations to get money to promote alizee. they printed t-shirts, visors, posters, photo cards and even cd's with a few of her songs. they visited malls, market places, plazas and radio stations. they brought a boombox, played her music and gave away free stuff all in order to get her name to the public. they hounded small local radio stations to play her music. once it got on the air, people from other cities and towns started hearing and gaining interest. soon more fan clubs started in other towns and as more and more radio stations started playing her music, the faster her fame spread. i hope this is helpful and has given some of you ideas.

Yes indeed!
We must get Obama to open up the borders and allow open-minded mexicans to migrate into the states and spread the Alizée plauge!!!!!!

Just kidding ;)

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 06:51 PM
tomtemp i heard you said alizee is fake in a video on youtube tisk tisk tisk lol

wasabi622
07-02-2009, 07:32 PM
i am totally for the t-shirts and hats. we should make some sort of Alizee America t-shirt!

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 07:40 PM
yeah that would own

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-02-2009, 07:45 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/jung159/SDC10121.jpg

or

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/jung159/20081006_3.jpg

wasabi622
07-02-2009, 07:45 PM
the only question is what would we put on it? i mean, what the mexican fans used, the "A" from the psychedelices album was good.. but what would we use?

edit: didn't see jung's post. :D

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
The J'en ai marre writing!

Alex
07-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Well since we are a Fan Club why dont we create our own logo??? To make us more original,serious and proffessional. What do you guys think???

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
yeah but the j'en ai marre writing is fancy we can create our original logo with the j'en ai marre writing

Alex
07-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah good idea dude, I hope we could do the shirt thing it would be really cool!

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
i know right!

Ben
07-02-2009, 09:07 PM
We're working on t-shirts and possibly other items at the moment actually. There might be a thread about that soon.

Alex
07-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Thats AWSOME Ben! really good news I'll keep an eye out for that thread. SWEET!!

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
NICE ben u deserve a cookie

Srbski-kralj
07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Awesome ben tell us if u need donations for the shirts or something.

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
yeah ill donate fo sho

Ben
07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Awesome ben tell us if u need donations for the shirts or something.
Heh well I think we're actually planning to sell them to help raise money for the site... though there will be some freebies along the way. :)

Alex
07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
yeah Ben if you donations or any help do tell us; anything for Alizee and Alizee America

Srbski-kralj
07-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Heh well I think we're actually planning to sell them to help raise money for the site... though there will be some freebies along the way. :)

thats cool, just putting it out there that if you need help in that area or something post it and ill donate.

AlizéeDuSiècle
07-02-2009, 10:06 PM
dont hesitate ben ill donate in a jiffy

wasabi622
07-03-2009, 02:17 PM
omg. we get tshirts, then my working overtime at the theater money will finally be put to good use!

BrianB
07-04-2009, 01:11 AM
We're working on t-shirts and possibly other items at the moment actually. There might be a thread about that soon.
On another forum I'm on they sell t-shirts and bumper stickers to raise money and promote the site. I have found the bumper sticker to be really helpful because people ask me about it all the time. For example, one time I took my car in for service the service manager told me he visited the site after seeing the URL on my car. BTW, I would be definitely interested in getting AlizéeAmerica t-shirts and bumper stickers.
Brian

Karlalizee
07-04-2009, 10:07 AM
i am happy to see that my post stirred some ideas :)

Scruffydog777
07-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I think making up t-shirts with Alizee's picture on it is a good idea even though it is somewhat getting away from what I've been proposing.
The question is, what picture do you use on it or do you use multiple pictures. I think the best pictures for the job are ones from 2003 and the best individual picture would be from her performance at the Eiffel tower that year. Even though she is still a very beautiful woman, I think she had back then, the looks that could launch a thousand ships, the kind of beauty that wars are started over. Even though these pictures are getting close to being almost 6 years old, the people who will be seeing them, don't know that. The goal here is to get them to notice her and I think pictures from back then will do the trick. Once they notice her, half the job is done. The other half is to get them to listen to her music.

The only problem with t shirts or posters is Alizee’s name. I had never heard it before and as much as I think someone might be really drawn to her picture, I think a lot of people would have trouble remembering her name once they got home. I thought a lot about this and came up with I think might be a good way of getting around this. I’m sure you’ve all seen those flyers posted on bulletin boards where someone is selling a car, boat, x-wife, kids, or what ever or promoting a business. The top of the flyer usually shows a picture of what they’re selling along with a description. Down at the bottom of the flyer will be a bunch of tear strips with their telephone number.

Well our flyer would show a picture of Alizee in all her splendor. Down below on the tear strips would be Alizee’s name along with Youtube and the name of a few of her videos. Maybe a couple in French and a couple in English for people who have no interest in hearing songs in French.

I made up a couple of potential fliers to see what members here think of the idea.

This would be a very low cost way to spread the word. Plus we'd be able to see if it's having any success by checking back where we post them occassionaly.

We could post these in supermarkets, gyms, schools, clubs and I’m sure many other places. There might be some places where some people might find the picture of Alizée in the sailor suit offensive in some way. I think if I felt this was the case, I'd post the one with just the single picture.

One other late thought I'd like to add is maybe we could make up some DVD's and add to the flier, "Contact the Alizée America forum for a free DVD while supplies last." I'd be willing to make a bunch up and ship them to Ben and donate some money to help with shipping as I'm sure other people would if they think this idea has any chance of working. This would give us an idea of how many people this might be reaching.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1428/alizeflierwithpictures.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alizeflierwithpictures.jpg)
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1262/alizeflierwithpicture.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alizeflierwithpicture.jpg)

wasabi622
07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
scruffy.. you are so friggen awesome with what you do for Alizee! you should be given the Alizee fan of the year award or something! :p

heres the only hitch with the picture. i don't think we should use the older MCE era pictures.. i mean, that's now what she is anymore, you know? she's just way too different now than she was then to use the old pictures to promote her. dont' get me wrong!! the MCE era.. she was stunningly amazingly stupifyingly beautiful! but now she looks much more different, and her type of music has changed quite a lot too.

then again.. JEAM and JPVA would be very good hookers to drag in potential fans with.. or any of the english songs, though shes heard best in French.

my thoughts anyways.

Scruffydog777
07-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I respectfully disagree wasabi622. I think you have to get them to take the bait first. It's better to offer filet mignon than ground beef. Once they take the bait, you can yank them in the boat, club them and then filet them. Maybe that's not such a good idea. I think the odds are better that they would like the old music and might not like the Psych music that much but realize she has a new album coming out and will want to come along for the ride. If they hear the Psych music first, they may spit out the hook.

wasabi622
07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Once they take the bait, you can yank them in the boat, club them and then filet them.

yeah that'll work too. i mean, i was just talking from what i felt.
i was hooked in with the JEAM dance.. and well, im still here cuz i really love her sincerity(at least, i think, i won't pretend to know her!) both on and off stage.

BUT! better to get as many people to check her out, than get a few to follow her i guess. :p

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-05-2009, 02:39 AM
I respectfully disagree wasabi622. I think you have to get them to take the bait first. It's better to offer filet mignon than ground beef. Once they take the bait, you can yank them in the boat, club them and then filet them. Maybe that's not such a good idea. I think the odds are better that they would like the old music and might not like the Psych music that much but realize she has a new album coming out and will want to come along for the ride. If they hear the Psych music first, they may spit out the hook.

yes and no there are a lot of people who may either like psychedelices better than the older music and then those who will be disappointed to find out that she has changed style and lose all interest not to mention she is trying to get into her own style now so it's not gonna go back to Gourmandises or MCE era style again

as for pictures I would definitely use current ones as she is trying to get away from the old image ;)

last but not least it is incredibly hard to promote old albums and with a new material coming out soon it may be best to wait a month or two see if we get any new tunes ;)

we do already have a great image with the URL for this site that Miss Amelie made for me a while back

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/jung159/f_Tshirtfrontm_001192c.png

Scruffydog777
07-05-2009, 05:04 AM
yes and no there are a lot of people who may either like psychedelices better than the older music and then those who will be disappointed to find out that she has changed style and lose all interest not to mention she is trying to get into her own style now so it's not gonna go back to Gourmandises or MCE era style again

as for pictures I would definitely use current ones as she is trying to get away from the old image ;)

last but not least it is incredibly hard to promote old albums and with a new material coming out soon it may be best to wait a month or two see if we get any new tunes ;)

we do already have a great image with the URL for this site that Miss Amelie made for me a while back

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm129/jung159/f_Tshirtfrontm_001192c.png

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess that applies to music as well as looks. If this was the first picture I had ever seen of Alizée, I would have never given it a second look. I really dont think it's that good a picture of her. If I was going to use a recent picture, I would use one similar to this, and there are other recent ones where she does look beautiful, but I think using the first one would be a complete waste of time.

As far as her performances. On Pysch, MJ, FS, LT were "good songs" and the related videos were okay, but they're not real attention grabbers. If someone new to her saw one of these for the first time, I doubt if they would look for any further. The one really beautiful song on Psych was PLP, and the stumbling block to this is it's in French and there was no good video to go along with it.

On MCE and Gourmandises, there were so many incredibly beautiful performances. Ones where she was incredibly beautiful, the music was beautiful, her looks were awesome, the dancing out of this world, and everything else was so great. The lighting, the background, it just goes on and on.

IMO, using only Psych material would be a lost cause.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5493/hair3n.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/hair3n.jpg/)

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-05-2009, 10:10 AM
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess that applies to music as well as looks.

sure is

the thing is if you only use old material most people will be highly disappointed once they find out the newer stuff is on a different style which puts off a lot of people

I think one would actually be jumping the gun a bit with new material coming out soon promoting old albums just doesn't work specially when one is in transition to new styles

one thing that I actually like to do is point someone to a youtube channel as apposed to just a video and let them feel around a bit

I'd suggest alizeeMP3's channel or a mix of AC Mixes channels as they have a decent mix of everything alizeemp3 has em all on one channel which makes it nicer though

wasabi622
07-05-2009, 02:50 PM
sort of related to the topic: ok, so i have to return my ipod to the store because i bought one online for cheaper right? so now im debating with myself cuz this ipod i have to return is filled with all my Alizee music. should i erase it all? should i keep it on there so the next person who gets it can potentially join us? or does it even matter, and will the store reset everything anyways?

TheBarrett
07-05-2009, 03:23 PM
sort of related to the topic: ok, so i have to return my ipod to the store because i bought one online for cheaper right? so now im debating with myself cuz this ipod i have to return is filled with all my Alizee music. should i erase it all? should i keep it on there so the next person who gets it can potentially join us? or does it even matter, and will the store reset everything anyways?

Leave a note behind and see what happens. :p
Or just give it to them while it's in the middle of playing a "video", you know, the usual deception this community is renowned for. :)

Scruffydog777
07-06-2009, 12:25 PM
sure is

the thing is if you only use old material most people will be highly disappointed once they find out the newer stuff is on a different style which puts off a lot of people

\

I think you're absolutely right. I think a lot of people would be put off by the newer stuff, but the idea here is to get people to find out about her first. I think the pictures from 2003 are best suited for getting peoples attention. (I'll repost my fliers here) Once we get their attention, we can hopefully get them to Youtube where so many of her videos are posted. Youtube because it's a site that just about everyone knows about.

If they listen to music from her first 2 cd's and like it, then find out she's several years older and her style has changed and are disappointed, well we will have at least done all we can do to get her noticed. If they decide not to stick around, that is their loss. But I think once people find out about her, they too will become fans, regardless of whether they like the newer music or not. They will do like many of us did when we first found out about her. Look for more info about her. The more they learn, the more likely it is they wont be able to turn back.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1428/alizeflierwithpictures.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alizeflierwithpictures.jpg)
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1262/alizeflierwithpicture.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alizeflierwithpicture.jpg)

wasabi622
07-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Leave a note behind and see what happens. :p
Or just give it to them while it's in the middle of playing a "video", you know, the usual deception this community is renowned for. :)

hehehe, so i decided to keep all the songs on the ipod. :D
though, im not too sure as whether or not the store will reset everything.

speakig of which.. i got the new ipod nano, and it shows the picture of the album as a cover thingy.. but though i own all of Alizee's albums, none of alum pictures show up. :blink: what's going on?

and scruffy:
ya know what, i say go for it. the old pictures, espeically the MCE era was the pinnacle of Alizee's beauty, at least, thus far! however.. i think we could somehow mush this together with the hats and t-shirt thingy that ben's concocting on the other tread. now that'll probably be the best.

BlackAnthem
07-06-2009, 06:14 PM
First build up an audience. On popular sites:

Facebook, Myspace, Wikipedia, RCA.com, etc.

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I think..........

you can go ahead and do it however you want to, but I'll say one thing and that is; promoting old albums and style doesn't work specially when the artist herself is trying to get away from said style it just plain old don't work

people here will want to be into the music she is making now not what she used to make

besides what is truly wrong with the new style? it's like people were fans before this new stuff came out and now they kinda just deal with it

Scruffydog777
07-07-2009, 04:54 AM
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3201/stalingradstreet.jpg (http://img9.imageshack.us/i/stalingradstreet.jpg/)
By scruffydog777 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/scruffydog777)

you can go ahead and do it however you want to, but I'll say one thing and that is; promoting old albums and style doesn't work specially when the artist herself is trying to get away from said style it just plain old don't work

people here will want to be into the music she is making now not what she used to make

besides what is truly wrong with the new style? it's like people were fans before this new stuff came out and now they kinda just deal with it

You could be very right that promoting the old stuff wont work because it is indeed old, but I think as of now, it's the only chance she has.

The majority of Psych sucks imho, her dancing now is lame and her appearence "on stage" is that of a housewife, which is a shame because she still looks very beautiful in most of her off stage appearences and if you think my opinion is an isolated one, explain to me why she can't fill up a theater of 2,800 in a city she now calls home, a city of over 12 million people, when the cost of the tickets was only 40 euros.

I work for a major airline in Boston. Over 2 years ago when I found out about Alizée, I made a dvd with several of her performances from the MCE and Gourmandises era on it and played it on the tv in what we call our ready room on a slow morning (maintenance wise that is). Well I tell you the people in that room were just mesmerized. I thought maybe they had grown tired of her over the past couple of years because on numerous occassions,when I happen to be alone in there or with someone I know is a good fan, I'll watch her videos and other people always drift through once in a while and I thought maybe people were getting tired of seeing her. Partly because there's a couple of people who don't like her and are quite vociferous about it, so I seldom put her on now.

Well last Saturday, I finished up early, brought out my laptop, I started working on another Alizée video project I was working on, I actually had the sound turned off because it was a certain part of the video in a clip I was looking for, when another technician sat down beside me and asked me to turn the volume up. I was more than eager to comply. Slowly, one by one, everyone who was in that room started working there way into position behind me and watching and much to my surprise they were all in a trance once again. Some asked me if she had any concerts coming up. I said she's releasing a new album in the fall, so I think there could be one in the spring and a few of them suggested of getting a group together to go over (Working for an airline makes it much more affordable of course even though it's certainly not free). This really floored me, because I knew there were a few good fans at work, but I never thought so many liked her music to the extent of wanting to go all the way to France for it.

Of course it's only the earlier stuff that I show them. I wouldn't waste my time showing her Psych to them. I wouldn't show it to my dog and my dog is dead. The only "very good" song on it is PLP. Maybe you think my opinion is an isolated one, maybe you think I don't know what I'm talking about. Well over two years ago, after her Moscow concert, I came out with my Stalingrad post in which I basicly said her career was in serious trouble if she didn't make changes. Well, two cancelled concerts in Paris later, I think it kind of proves I must've known something.

Of course, her new album could change everything. I'm certainly optimistic.
But even if it is a great album, I've heard no mention of any songs in English.
So there's very little chance that any of it would be played in this country except for isolated instances

The original purpose of this thread was trying to promote Alizée in this country. To somehow get the media to play some of her music or do a story on her. To make her a household name over here so that maybe someday she might come over here. If nothing else, it would mean more sales for her. The more money she makes, the more likely she is to keep her career going, and the only music that can make that happen in this country is from the MCE and Gourmandises era.

TheBarrett
07-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Well, just think of how many people here found her post-2004/2005.
They probably found her old stuff first indefinitely, and later accustomed themselves to Psych.
Come on, the old stuff can work, use that as the lure, use the new stuff as a seal, and you've got some new fans!

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-07-2009, 09:45 AM
The majority of Psych sucks imho

the album itself is a fine album, but you are very right on the performances honestly I'm not talking about trying toeven promote Psychedelices either as it is already a year and a half old and in pop that is too old to think about

the thing with getting the media on board with old stuff is that no one cares about pop from 6 years ago specially beings she is trying to get away from that image from posts like you just had it seems that most of the fans are just here because they liked the old and are just hanging out hoping she will go back to a style that she will never go back to

I'd say wait a month or two until we have some new material to work with

as for the concerts yes she can't sell out a concert hall anywhere in the world at the moment because the fans don't like her new style thus we need new fans that like the new style and there are definitely people out there that are into this new style of music it's just the communities are so stuck in the past and won't accept that she has left the past in the past and won't be going back

that is key getting people who like what she is putting out now and they are out there find them and you'll get your media to catch on and until you hit the right audience you are fighting an impossible battle

Ben
07-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Well wasn't the idea of this thread to use Alizée's "story" - her history, etc? That would cover all eras, leading up to where she stands now.
I agree that new material is what we'd have to be promoting, but it could be presented in the context of who Alizée is - past and present.

Scruffydog777
07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
You're absolutely right that this thread is to promote the story. And just like when Hollywood makes a movie, they make commercials promoting the movie using scenes from the most exciting part to lure people in and that's what we have to do, use video from the most exciting part of her career and that would be from 1999 to 2003. Maybe her upcoming album will change that, but for now, that's the plan that I think would work best. We definitely have to includee Psych and her other recent performances but it's MCE and Gour that will draw people in.

wasabi622
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
i don't know about the entire psych ablum being terrible, i mean, there were a few good ones, like MJ, 50/60, Lilly Town, Decollage, and Jamais plus. :D

but her performances?? ohmahgod, what happened? granted, the only recent performance ive seen are from the clips here, but still! its nothing, absolutely NOTHING in comparsion to her amazing performace in the En Concert DVD.

why?? why did she reign in her awesomeness? :(

Scruffydog777
07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I think it just all comes down to who ever is running the show, who ever is calling the shots, dont know what they're doing.

wasabi622
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
i thought Alizee herself would be in control. i mean, that's why she left farmer right? so that she can have more control over herself in terms of performances, the songs, the adverts, pictures, etc?

since she was a dancer before a signer, i was hoping she'd dance more. i mean seriously! the JEAM dance is probably what shes best known for, even if they don't know it's Alizee. It's in 2 of the most popular games for crying out loud! (WOW and Star Craft 2)

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
i thought Alizee herself would be in control. i mean, that's why she left farmer right?

yup ;):cool:

Ben
07-07-2009, 06:02 PM
You're absolutely right that this thread is to promote the story. And just like when Hollywood makes a movie, they make commercials promoting the movie using scenes from the most exciting part to lure people in and that's what we have to do, use video from the most exciting part of her career and that would be from 1999 to 2003.
Well I think it's more like making a trailer to a sequel. You can show clips from or refer to the last installment ("from the director of..." becomes "from the girl who sang Moi Lolita and J'en ai marre"), but you're not going to get asses into seats unless you feature new stuff too. And yeah by that I mean the upcoming album, Psych is already old.

BlackAnthem
07-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't think the story will work.

wasabi622
07-07-2009, 07:23 PM
lol blackanthem. dont' just say it won't work, at least tell us why you think it won't, or offer another solution! it'll help us get to what we're trying to acheive. :D

Scruffydog777
07-08-2009, 11:28 AM
In April of 2008, I went to France for 8 days of vacation. I drove from Paris, over to Normandy, down to Mont Ste Michel, over to Tours up to LeMans, then back to Paris. I listened to the radio all the time, hoping to hear some of her music. In those 8 days, I never heard one of her songs. She was yesterdays news in France. But at this time, she was probably at the height of her popularity in Mexico. Why? Because most of the people down there had just found out about her the year before. Even though most of the good music was at least 4 years old. They didn't care because it was new to them and so too, to the people in this country it wouldn't matter if it was 10 years old which some of it is getting to be. They haven't heard it before. That's all that matters.

I'm sure if anyone in this country who likes the type of music that was characteristic of her in her first few years, would fall in love with Alizée's JAM videos from back in 2003 if they were seeing it for the first time. Do you honestly think they'd suddenly turn around and say, " This music is several years old, I don't think I'll watch it any more" once they found out when the videos were produced? No! If they like this music, they'll be playing it over and over again the way I did when I first heard it and the way I'm sure many other forum members did.

Yes we have to include Psych in any way we promote her and hopefully when the new album comes out, that will be a big help too. But it's MCE and Gour that will win the day.

BlackAnthem
07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
You guys. Keep up the voting for Alizee on Twitter. I am actually going to do inside work with RCA. I have already sent our Twitter efforts to one of the Boss's.

RCA is just debating weather to bring her over. So this up's our chances. If you have anything else for me to say or send let me know and I will do my best!

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Do you honestly think they'd suddenly turn around and say, " This music is several years old, I don't think I'll watch it any more" once they found out when the videos were produced?

honestly there are a lot that will not only for that, but because they may not be into the new style

what is needed to make a good fan base is those that like the new style of hers which is highly lacking right now among old and new members of the community alike

and it's not all about not working because the old stuff may very well work to a limited extent, but what is needed for her to have successful concerts and sales now is for people that like her new style to be into her if one is just in to the old style they won't go to concerts or buy the newer albums all they will do is long for the days of old

new fans that like the new music that is what is needed for her and the communities to flourish

the fans need a weeding

BlackAnthem
07-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I like the little clip with the hat. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Scruffydog777
07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
new fans that like the new music that is what is needed for her and the communities to flourish

the fans need a weeding

The problem is it looks like none of the new music will be in English. It seems like the average person on the street in this country is somewhat narrow minded when it comes to listening to music in a foreign language, and radio stations are overly narrow minded when considering to play it. It really doesn't matter how good it is. The best that would probably come of it is maybe a few stations will play one of her songs once. Too few people will hear. It won't ever have a fair chance to catch on.

Almost sounds like a lost cause. The old music is too old. None of the new music in English. What's the use?

I thought I had a good idea about trying to promote her but it seems like the majority of the people in here think it doesn't have any chance of working so I guess I might as well give up the ship.

Ben
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
The problem is it looks like none of the new music will be in English.
Well we don't know about that. She has been twittering in English. Lets wait and see!

BlackAnthem
07-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Can I download that clip with the hat? If so, how?

wasabi622
07-09-2009, 04:51 PM
HEY! i just had an idea.

Ok, you know how when you go to a electronics store like bestbuy, or circut city, they sell tvs, dvd players and such? well, they are usually playing something... so why not try to see if we can get them to play the En Concert DVD?

Scruffydog777
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I think that's an awesome idea wasabi622, but maybe it should be a modified version because the intro is over 2 minutes long and if we have someone that has a short fuse, they might not be willing to wait that long for some good music to come on. Of course if you convince them your interested in buying one, they'd probabal wait all day. Just watch your back when you're leaving without one.

I think I'd want to cut out a couple of her songs, ones I feel wouldn't completely wow them and should we throw in a couple of songs in English. Maybe you'd want them to see JAM with her sailor suit on instead of the live version. If you really think you might give it a shot, if you don't have the capability of putting together a dvd this way, let me know and I'll make one up with videos in whatever way you want it and send it to you. It could be all of En Concert, minus the intro or whatever.

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
The problem is it looks like none of the new music will be in English.

not to your knowledge anyway

I'll toss out the same names I have been quite often recently

Rammstein
Yelle
Korpiklaani

all sing in foreign languages all have had successful tours and all can get airplay

if Yelle can have a very successful tour, singing all in French, in the states why not Alizee?

Melissa Mars coming to this list soon :cool:

Scruffydog777
07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=jung_adore_ALIZEE;134146]

if Yelle can have a very successful tour, singing all in French, in the states why not Alizee?

QUOTE]

Because she re-orchestrated all her best music into something even the French dont want to hear.

rcs
07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
HEY! i just had an idea.

Ok, you know how when you go to a electronics store like bestbuy, or circut city, they sell tvs, dvd players and such? well, they are usually playing something... so why not try to see if we can get them to play the En Concert DVD?

I tried that a few years ago for the very reason of getting Alizee noticed. It was after I got my En Concert DVD. I wanted it up on the big screen wall that you first see when you walk into the store of Best Buy, but they wouldn't let me. You should try it though, maybe you'll be lucky.

wasabi622
07-10-2009, 11:19 PM
If you really think you might give it a shot, if you don't have the capability of putting together a dvd this way, let me know and I'll make one up with videos in whatever way you want it and send it to you. It could be all of En Concert, minus the intro or whatever.

seeing as how i have no techinal ablity whatsoever, i will need to take you up on this offer.

but i've been trying to figure out a way to carry this out.. i mean, i can hardly just walk in and ask them to play Alizee. (though strangely enough, i was outside starbucks yesterday and these girls came up to me and handed me a flyer with some random guy on it, and it read "download John B---(can't remember the last name) off of itunes!") found it funny that they were doing that as i was trying to figure out what i could do for Alizee. :D

BUT! I do have a success story! so me and my best friend like to just drive around and talk right, and while we do so, since im always driving, im playing Alizee. espeically JPVA, MAH FAVORITE FRIGGEN SONG! and i am happy to say i've played it so many times, he liked it enough to buy it off of itunes.

boohyah. plus 1. :D

lefty12357
07-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Tuesday, July 14 is Bastille Day. In my state of Minnesota, this week is officially declared French Heritage Week. As you may know, much of my state belonged to France at one time. To coincide with the weekend, there are celebrations planned in Minneapolis today. This might be a great opportunity to do some disc-dropping or general Alizée promoting, because the people in attendance already have an interest, or at least an acceptance, of French culture. Unfortunately, this kind of snuck up on me and I am not prepared, but I think I will see what I can still do. I wish I would have thought of this sooner.

It looks to me like other cities around the USA have Bastille Day activities. What’s going on in your city? Just curious...

Scruffydog777
07-11-2009, 11:52 AM
seeing as how i have no techinal ablity whatsoever, i will need to take you up on this offer.

but i've been trying to figure out a way to carry this out.. i mean, i can hardly just walk in and ask them to play Alizee.

I think the way I would approach it is to act like you'd like to buy one. Ask several questions about a certain one. Then I think one thing you should do that leaves you an out is to pick one that's not on sale and tell them it's a little more than you were hoping to pay and ask them if it will be on sale in the next few weeks. I've often done this with items I'm lookiing to buy at a place like Bestbuy. They're having sales all the time and a lot of time the salesmen are well aware of what will be going on sale.

One thing I really enjoy about En Concert in additiion to the great music and gorgeous young woman singing in it is the great job they did with the lighting in so many songs. I would tell them you have a concert video you watch all the time and would like to see how it looks on a tv your buying. I'm sure they wouldn't turn you down.

When I make up the dvd for you, I'll make sure the first couple are ones with great lighting affects so he'll think your on the level.

Ben
07-11-2009, 03:30 PM
En Concert was shot in HD. I wish they'd release it on Blu-Ray. That would really be something to show off in stores. :)

Vista
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
@lefty12357
BASTILLE DAY IN AMERICA - July 9, 2009
Celebrations in different cities and states.
http://www.francetoday.com/articles/2009/07/09/bastille-day-in-america.html

Rev
07-12-2009, 01:46 PM
if Yelle can have a very successful tour, singing all in French, in the states why not Alizée?

One difference may be the type of music Yelle plays, as well as the way they present it. They seem to be much more high energy and playful, as compared to ALizée's more intellectual approach (based on her most recent album).

Yelle is not there to make you think, just to have fun. This translates better.

For ALizée's music, you actually have to know what she is singing, to understand the subtlety, to get the best out of most of her songs.
(Note: Before you jump down my throat, keep in mind I am talking about the average new viewer - not those who have been drawn to her as fans).

I would like to see her move more toward Yelle in SOME of her songs (or The Killers).

I have watched female artists do this again and again. They get popular, and then think they can move away from what got them there. They stop playing what people want and start singing (just) what they want to. They move from upbeat happy music to slower "thinky" stuff. Although a few of these songs CAN be mixed in, the error artist after artist has made is to think that they can now play only what they want to and those that liked the old style will just follow along.

For Alizée, I am not suggesting a return to Moi Lolita - rather, I am suggesting that a more energetic level of music needs to be a larger part of her repertoire. Then, and only then, can she fit in the slower, more thoughtful, pieces.

Most of her potential audience is simply coming to have fun!

She needs to build her audiance for the next couple of abums. Otherwise, she ends up risking becoming a truly marginal player - one who never moves beyond a small following. Based on the size of theatre she is trying to fill (2,000 seats plus), I would guess that she would not be happy playing to 200-500 seat theaters for the rest of her career.

It's her choice, and, based on some of the recent choices we see her making, she may truly have gotten this message and may be acting accordingly.

Time will tell. :)

wasabi622
07-12-2009, 04:35 PM
if she ever has a concert in the US.. i plan on buying like 10 friggen tickets just so that she can't cancel due to low ticket sales. then of course, give 9 of those tickets away. :D

though, i think her new album was quite upbeat, wasn't it? there were a few of those "thinky" songs. at least, the singles from the psych. album were nicely upbeat.

Scruffydog777
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I have watched female artists do this again and again. They get popular, and then think they can move away from what got them there. They stop playing what people want and start singing (just) what they want to. They move from upbeat happy music to slower "thinky" stuff. Although a few of these songs CAN be mixed in, the error artist after artist has made is to think that they can now play only what they want to and those that liked the old style will just follow along.

For Alizée, I am not suggesting a return to Moi Lolita - rather, I am suggesting that a more energetic level of music needs to be a larger part of her repertoire. Then, and only then, can she fit in the slower, more thoughtful, pieces.

In her concerts since her comeback, she threw away the way she sounded, she threw away the way she looked, she threw away the way she performed (danced). When she was done, there was nothing left for her orininal fans to enjoy and Psych wasn't good enough to draw in new fans. It's no wonder she had to cancel two concerts.

Hopefully this new album will change all this. Hopefully she will have learned from her mistakes. I'm optimistic about her chances and looking forward to it's release.

wasabi622
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=Scruffydog777;134368]In her concerts since her comeback, she threw away the way she sounded, she threw away the way she looked, she threw away the way she performed (danced). When she was done, there was nothing left for her orininal fans to enjoy and Psych wasn't good enough to draw in new fans. It's no wonder she had to cancel two concerts.

[QUOTE]

sadly.. its painfully true. i don't know why she did that!

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-12-2009, 11:42 PM
In her concerts since her comeback, she threw away the way she sounded, she threw away the way she looked, she threw away the way she performed (danced). When she was done, there was nothing left for her orininal fans to enjoy and Psych wasn't good enough to draw in new fans. It's no wonder she had to cancel two concerts.

more than two it's just those ones that people concentrate on you gotta count the other 3 in france, 2 in mexico, and others that were in the planning process across Europe

and yes there is nothing left that got the original fans so maybe......she needs new fans?

wasabi622
07-13-2009, 06:24 PM
i love her new(est) album, and her new songs were very catchy and all.. but i sometimes wouldn't have minded if she had stayed with farmer. it wouldn't have been bad if she had stayed with her and kept up with the same type of music as MCE(not to mention that gorgeous look too :wub:)

but i know! people change and move on. more excitement for the new album in that case. :D

Scruffydog777
07-16-2009, 02:46 PM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8605/bumpersticker5.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/bumpersticker5.jpg/)

I made up this bumper sticker. I'm actually going to put it in the back window of my pick up. I would've preferred to have listed a couple of Alizée's French songs like ML or JAM, but I figured these two song titles in English, would be a lot easier for someone to remember.

I added the last line because I thought some people might think " If she's so good, why isn't she on any U.S. stations?". The yet implies that, that day is coming!

wasabi622
07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8605/bumpersticker5.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/bumpersticker5.jpg/)

I made up this bumper sticker. I'm actually going to put it in the back window of my pick up. I would've preferred to have listed a couple of Alizée's French songs like ML or JAM, but I figured these two song titles in English, would be a lot easier for someone to remember.

I added the last line because I thought some people might think " If she's so good, why isn't she on any U.S. stations?". The yet implies that, that day is coming!

id def suggest the JEAM picture man. cuz that's hotter stuff. :D
im sure that outfit will capture the attention of many many males.

Fyrel
07-17-2009, 04:35 AM

Nah, I think this picture is much better than the JEAM one. The other might be more attention grabbing, but it's not something she does anymore, so it doesn't represent her very well.

puffyrock2
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Excellent and very eye catching! It would look great on a '72 Cutlass Supreme, no?

wasabi622
07-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Nah, I think this picture is much better than the JEAM one. The other might be more attention grabbing, but it's not something she does anymore, so it doesn't represent her very well.

well, if you think that way, that picture is of her JPVA style (i think.. or just MCE), and she doesn't do that anymore either.

im just saying that the JEAM is sexy as heck, and will sure as hell grab peoples *ahem* mens attention.

Scruffydog777
07-17-2009, 02:45 PM

I thought very strongly about using a Jeam picture, but I think there would be a problem with scale. To get the whole sailor outfit on something the size of a bumper sticker, you'd have to scale it down to a point where it would lose a lot of it's awesomisatude. As it is, I have to increase the boldness of the font where it says "Alizée" because it doesn't stand out enough. That I can easily fix.

I put it on my truck the other day and it does look good.

wasabi622
07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I thought very strongly about using a Jeam picture, but I think there would be a problem with scale. To get the whole sailor outfit on something the size of a bumper sticker, you'd have to scale it down to a point where it would lose a lot of it's awesomisatude. As it is, I have to increase the boldness of the font where it says "Alizée" because it doesn't stand out enough. That I can easily fix.

I put it on my truck the other day and it does look good.

ohh. i didn't think of that. good catch then!
once i get a car of my own, i'll get me some Alizee bumper stickers. i can hardly stick them on my dads car now, can i? :p

jung_adore_ALIZEE
07-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Because she re-orchestrated all her best music into something even the French dont want to hear.

that is exactly why she needs new fans who like the new material ;) and I know there are people out there that enjoy the style

Scruffydog777
07-17-2009, 09:35 PM
that is exactly why she needs new fans who like the new material ;) and I know there are people out there that enjoy the style

Apparently none of the people who enjoy the new style live in Paris.

wasabi622
07-20-2009, 07:44 PM
anyone know how many italian fans shes got? i think i read that corsica is influenced by both french and italian culture. so naturally, i wonder if italians are open to her?

Srbski-kralj
07-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Idk it could be, Italy is one great place, full of history and culture. Now their soccer team is questionable lol, but the country is awesome. Preaty much Itally has seen all the history's gratest battles.

nomdeplume
07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I suppose I'm a little late to join this topic, but I skimmed through the conversation and I hope it's ok for me to jump in now. :)
Earlier someone mentioned targeting highschool French teachers/classes, and I think that would be a good idea, especially because the original French versions of the songs would be used. Even if the only thing that happens is that some kids get the JEAM tune stuck in their head--hey, that's how I became a fan of Alizee!

Also, people mentioned bombarding radio stations/ misc. businesses with emails requesting them to play or utilize Alizee's music in some form, and I think that if enough people did that, it might produce some results. Anyway, I think it's worth a shot. We should make a list of those places...organize our efforts, as yet another earlier conversation talked about.

wasabi622
07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Idk it could be, Italy is one great place, full of history and culture. Now their soccer team is questionable lol, but the country is awesome. Preaty much Itally has seen all the history's gratest battles.

freaking. true!

never thought id actually hate a sports team, seeing as how im not that into sports anyways.. but they, they push it.

Srbski-kralj
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
freaking. true!

never thought id actually hate a sports team, seeing as how im not that into sports anyways.. but they, they push it.

You know every team does pull off some sneaky tactics here and ther but with Italian team dang man it seams like they do it every minute just to get closer to the goal and a chance of scoring. Funny as hell match with Brazil back in 06 Italian player was going to the goal the Brazilian goaly dived and grabed the ball from him feat, normal thing to do. After they both got up walked a little the Italian player out of nowere just drops down to the floor screaming that his shin hurt, like come on dude its not like the whole world saw you get the pall taken away for it. he was actually moving away from the goaly and just did the cheating fall move. It was hillarious the refs were looking at him like wtf are u doing. lol. Edgar can probably back me up on this lol, but jsut to sure if in 06 or earlier matches. Cant find that video again it was removed.

wasabi622
07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
You know every team does pull off some sneaky tactics here and ther but with Italian team dang man it seams like they do it every minute just to get closer to the goal and a chance of scoring. Funny as hell match with Brazil back in 06 Italian player was going to the goal the Brazilian goaly dived and grabed the ball from him feat, normal thing to do. After they both got up walked a little the Italian player out of nowere just drops down to the floor screaming that his shin hurt, like come on dude its not like the whole world saw you get the pall taken away for it. he was actually moving away from the goaly and just did the cheating fall move. It was hillarious the refs were looking at him like wtf are u doing. lol. Edgar can probably back me up on this lol, but jsut to sure if in 06 or earlier matches. Cant find that video again it was removed.

i basically started hating them after the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

those bastards... they refuse to take back a Korean soccer player, who played for them before the world cup, just because he scored against them in a match against them. (at least.. that's what i was told, verify anyone? the player is Ahn Jung Hwan)

as for the hollywood bullcrap... grow up!

nomdeplume
07-22-2009, 10:06 AM
This is actually what I have been doing the past few years. As a part of learning about French culture, and how they speak, live, and everything else, we've been singing some of Alizée's songs for usually 5 minutes at the end of each class. Songs including Moi Lolita, J'en ai Marre, Mademoiselle Juliette, and Veni Vidi Vici. Mostly MJ, but still singing. And I actually was able to find that a lot of people actually liked her music, even the new material, and wanted to borrow the CD that I made so they could listen to the songs.

Other than that, I guarantee that anybody that I meet casually as an acquaintance, or friend, I tell them about Alizée, and challenge them to make their life seem 100x brighter for one day, by going on YouTube and typing in her name. NONE, have regretted it.

Really? Wow, that's great! I'm taking French this coming year, and I hope I can repeat your success. Taking a CD of Alizee to class was one of the first things I decided to do when I joined this site, and it's definitely encouraging to hear that. I was beginning to doubt how well it would work since I let some of my friends listen to her music and they didn't show much interest in it.

Three
07-22-2009, 12:47 PM
This is actually what I have been doing the past few years. As a part of learning about French culture, and how they speak, live, and everything else, we've been singing some of Alizée's songs for usually 5 minutes at the end of each class. Songs including Moi Lolita, J'en ai Marre, Mademoiselle Juliette, and Veni Vidi Vici. Mostly MJ, but still singing. And I actually was able to find that a lot of people actually liked her music, even the new material, and wanted to borrow the CD that I made so they could listen to the songs.

Other than that, I guarantee that anybody that I meet casually as an acquaintance, or friend, I tell them about Alizée, and challenge them to make their life seem 100x brighter for one day, by going on YouTube and typing in her name. NONE, have regretted it.

Really thats great.
I was kind of doing the same thing with the frecnch class at my school I showed a song of Alizee to the french teacher and she liked it very much and asked me if I could do a whole CD for her.

wasabi622
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM

*sigh*

my friends, most anyways, absolutely refuse to watch Alizee.. but they get their comeuppance when they need a ride from me: its my car. my music. my choice in volume. :D

i showed them the mythical JEAM dance video, and they were like "meh" :eek:

then again.. one is a redneck, so he's all taylor swift like.