PDA

View Full Version : Alizée America Logo/Symbol

CFHollister
08-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I've had an idea for, what I think would be, an awesome logo/symbol for Alizée America and more specifically USA/French unity in Alizée. Maybe someone that has skill in graphics programs would be able to render it. Anyway, here's the description:

French and American flags (on poles) crossed at 90 degrees (each 45 degrees from level/vertical) superimposed on a stylized torch from the Statue of Liberty (height of the torch equal to the length of the flagpoles). The French flag on the left as you look at the logo (though there may be reason to reverse this order), and the white of the French flag charged with the Moorish head symbol of Corsica. Superimposed on the flame of the torch is a Psychédélices Alizée 'A.' Between the bottom ends of the flagpoles, is "Alizée America" in Alizée hand as the logo here on the site. Perhaps optional rays emanating from the 'A'/flame.

The use of the torch of the Statue of Liberty alludes to a former gift and symbol of unity between France and the USA. Superimposing the Alizée 'A' on the flame of the torch symbolizes Alizée as the source of light (in our world of fans). The rest of the symbolism should be pretty obvious.

Whatcha think?

user472884
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
that sounds cool but extremely complex and detailed for a logo/symbol.

one of my friends who is studying marketing or something told me that the most successful and recognizable symbols are always the simplest ones.

Look at the nike swish.... it is a very, very simple form but anybody could recognize it instantly. Same with the McDonalds M, Target target, Apple apple, Ferrari horse, most car manufacturer's symbols, Chevron chevron....

Now if you would notice the pattern, nearly all successful logos clearly represent the company name... if you see a giant golden M, you know immediately it's McDonalds. If you see something with the American and French flags and such, it isn't quite clear.

Now, If I were you I would rethink the design to better reflect the clear name of this forum, which will then represent what we do. We are very fortunate to have the double A's in our name. This opens up so many more options. Just on first thought I thought of a double A design like /-||-\ but with either the Alizée A (like in your sig) or the Psych A.

Keep in mind your goal is to make a logo, not a heraldic crest.

CFHollister
08-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Keep in mind your goal is to make a logo, not a heraldic crest.

Well actually, that's why I wrote Logo/Symbol... In fact I was trying to develop something more along the lines of a crest ;) Or maybe even something along the lines of "colors" in the biker gang sense :p

Srbski-kralj
08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Well actually, that's why I wrote Logo/Symbol... In fact I was trying to develop something more along the lines of a crest ;) Or maybe even something along the lines of "colors" in the biker gang sense :p

I like ur idea, I think if we were able to make that we could market that on hte T-shirts idea or something in those lines.

edgar93
08-07-2009, 01:02 AM
I love the current logo. It is simple, but it looks very nice, white, red and black look nice as our colours.
CFH's idea is pretty good though, somebody do it!

Rev
08-07-2009, 02:21 AM
How about simply the old and new Alizée A?

CFHollister
08-07-2009, 03:20 AM
I think some people might be slightly confused what I'm proposing here. I'm not proposing this really be a logo or anything actually used on the site in any "official" capacity. I just think it would: 1) just look cool and be a neat combination of symbols; and 2) might be something cool to put on the back of some shirts.

Ruroshen
08-07-2009, 04:38 AM
This sounded like a pretty good idea in theory--I like the symbolism of it, especially the torch--so I've been playing around a bit with a mock-up in Photoshop to see what it would look like. In practice, though, I'm finding that it may actually be too many symbols, all competing with each other.

This is the closest I've gotten to something I kinda-sorta like, and even this I'm not altogether thrilled with:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3424/aamsymboltest.jpg

Notice I left the 'A' off. It looked pretty terrible with it. Both the old-style and the new-style are asymmetrical, and I can't figure out what to do with it that doesn't throw the whole piece out of whack.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or tweaks you'd like to see, and I'll see what I can do.

wasabi622
08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3424/aamsymboltest.jpg

hey, nice work and all.. but looking at that, i don't get any "Alizee vibes" if that makes sense.. doesn't look like anything id related to Alizee, the only that could is obviously her signature.

i just think we need to focus more on something Alizee did that links everything together.. though, i can't think of anything at the moment. :blink:

Ruroshen
08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
hey, nice work and all.. but looking at that, i don't get any "Alizee vibes" if that makes sense.. doesn't look like anything id related to Alizee, the only that could is obviously her signature.

True, which is why I wasn't thrilled with it.

Take 2, this time incorporating the new 'A' and playing with the torch and the flame a bit. I think this is probably closer to what CFHollister was aiming for:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3695/aamsymboltest02.jpg

Better, I think, but still not quite "there" yet.

CFHollister
08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
...I think this is probably closer to what CFHollister was aiming for:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3695/aamsymboltest02.jpg

Better, I think, but still not quite "there" yet.

Wow! :blink: Of course it not exactly the way I imagined it, but only because you don't have telepathic abilities. Based on my description alone, that pretty awesome. :cool: Especially with the incorporation on the 'A' with the flame which is much better than how I imagined it, that is freakin' awesome! I think the torch might do well with a thin black outline and possibly (with very thin black line) some of the internal details (such as the ridged handle). Finally I'd be interested to see it on a more neutral background, possibly white or light grey.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting we use the symbol on the site or anything. Actually my dream application would be the back of leather jacket that has other Alizée details designed in.

Very cool! Thanks!

edgar93
08-07-2009, 04:03 PM
That would look very nice on the back of a white shirt.

Where are the Golden Gods of LillyWear?

Ruroshen
08-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow! :blink: Of course it not exactly the way I imagined it, but only because you don't have telepathic abilities. Based on my description alone, that pretty awesome. :cool: Especially with the incorporation on the 'A' with the flame which is much better than how I imagined it, that is freakin' awesome!

Cool, I'm glad you liked it! It's still not where I want it to be yet, but it's getting there.

I think the torch might do well with a thin black outline and possibly (with very thin black line) some of the internal details (such as the ridged handle). Finally I'd be interested to see it on a more neutral background, possibly white or light grey.

Alright, here we go with takes 3A and 3B, then...one with the torch outlined, and one without:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3892/aamsymboltest03a.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2018/aamsymboltest03b.jpg

Personally I like the abstractness of the torch without the outline. Outlining it just draws attention to the lack of detail in the rest of it, and I suspect adding more detail might just make it look cluttered and less iconic. (It would also be beyond my meager Photoshop abilities, so there's also that. :p)

I do think the handle grooves work well, though. Also outlined the flags so they'll show up better against a white background. The flame definitely needs work, I think, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. Any thoughts?

Again, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting we use the symbol on the site or anything. Actually my dream application would be the back of leather jacket that has other Alizée details designed in.

Heh, that would be awesome!

CFHollister
08-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Looking good. You're right about the outlining being a bit too stark, but I think there still needs to be some exterior definition, perhaps a grey which is enough to provide definition but not so dark as to catch the eye.

About the flame. I think it looks good. More detail in the flames would certainly make it more impressive, but might not be practical, especially if it were to be reproducible on clothing. One thing you can play with is the color of the 'A' itself which you now have in a kind of yellow-green. I'm not sure what would be best until you played with it some, but some ideas that come tp mind are: Red, taking the color of the 'A' from MCE but in the style of Psychédélices; Purple, color of the 'A' straight from Psychédélices and complimentary with the yellow in the flame.

One thing I just noticed that should be fixed one way or the other. The red of the French flag needs to be on the fly and the blue on the hoist. But in a logo that would make it look backwards. This might be an argument for reversing the positions of the flags (USA on left, France on right). I think the American flag would still be plenty recognizable in that position even with the canton more on the right side (due to being on the hoist).

You're doing an awesome job! :cool:

Ben
08-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Looking very cool, and we may actually have a use for this soon (;)).

Just a few comments:

-The flame looks huge now. Dunno how to shrink it and still fit the "A", but it seems very out of proportion with the torch as it is.

-I'd like the see the faces of flags larger, with shorter staffs. Maybe we could "stack" the site logo to make room, like I did here:

http://www.tapatalk.com/directory/files/2009/06/d05b79a6-28d7-537e-90x90.jpg

Ruroshen
08-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Right on. Here we go with takes 4 and 5, then:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7084/aamlogotest04.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1813/aamlogotest05.jpg

I've changed the torch outline to match the grip, and it actually doesn't look too bad. I'm not sure how it'll reproduce, though. We may need to go with a starker contrast by necessity.

I've also reduced the size of the flame (and correspondingly, the "A") by about a third. It's gonna be exaggerated no matter what if we want to keep the "A" in there and have it be prominent, but hopefully this doesn't look as ridiculously out-of-proportion as before.

I've left the colour of the "A" alone for now, mainly because I like it--I chose the copper colour to keep it vaguely reminiscent of the Liberty torch (which is very nerdy of me, I know). This is honestly a super easy fix, so it's something we can dither with later, once we've got the rest of it sorted out.

The flag faces have been upsized (and then super-sized in the last one). Unless folks really strongly object to it, though, I'm going to claim artistic license and keep the French flag the way it is, even though the hoist is on the "wrong" side. Putting it the "right" way looked wrong, and reversing the flags and putting the US flag "right" looked even worse. The logo has also been "stacked" in the last one to make room, but I'm not sure I like it.

I also smoothed out the flame a little bit. It looks better, but I'm still not happy with it.

Getting closer, I think. Thoughts?

Ooo, also: how do we feel about the ball-toppers on the masts? Lose 'em, keep 'em, what?

Ben
08-08-2009, 01:06 AM
If you upsize the word "America" a bit, you can bring it up closer to "Alizée". That's what I did in my little logo, and I think it looks better that way.

TheBarrett
08-08-2009, 01:38 AM
You know Ruro, just my cent but I think you should add a ball-topper on the other side of the poles as well. The cut off line effect really doesn't seem too, well you know, there's just something missing over there.

I'd ask for a little ripple-depth on the flags, but i'm not sure how that would turn out, so I guess it's all good no matter what. ;)

CFHollister
08-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I can understand about the flag positions... in a 2D logo format like this I guess it might be more important to deliver on the eye's expectations for the flags to look "right" despite where the hoist is. One more tweak to the French flag would be to darken the red to match the stripes in the US flag; as it it looks slightly pink.

I like the bigger flags but not the supersized so much. On version 4 it looks like the whole thing could still be framed by a circle if you went that far; where the supersized flags push it out to the sides overall so that it would have to be framed by an ellipse.

I still prefer "Alizée America" in a single line. Stacked doesn't necessarily look bad, but "Alizée" looks smaller, but I think it might be an optical illusion. I know Ben mentioned even making "America" bigger, but I like to make sure that Alizée remains prominent.

I like the resized flame; looks good. I also like the outlining in grey, very much; it's a solid compromise. I understand about the color of the 'A'; it does blend rather well with the flame. I'm just concerned that it doesn't blend too well, such that at some distance that the 'A' isn't distinct enough to be seen clearly... Perhaps darkening it a little?

Ruroshen
08-08-2009, 02:07 AM
If you upsize the word "America" a bit, you can bring it up closer to "Alizée". That's what I did in my little logo, and I think it looks better that way.

Cool, thanks. I think I'm with CF in that I prefer the way it looks with "Alizée America" written side-by-side, but I'll give it a try.

You know Ruro, just my cent but I think you should add a ball-topper on the other side of the poles as well. The cut off line effect really doesn't seem too, well you know, there's just something missing over there.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. For the first few takes, I went to the trouble of rounding off the masts, but I've gotten lazy with these last few. I dunno if I'll add another ball on the bottom--I'm not sure I like the look of them on the top, honestly--but I'll definitely throw something on down there to make them look "finished".

I'd ask for a little ripple-depth on the flags, but i'm not sure how that would turn out, so I guess it's all good no matter what. ;)

I don't know that my meager Photoshop skills are up to it, but I can try it and see how it works. Don't hold your breath, though! :p

One more tweak to the French flag would be to darken the red to match the stripes in the US flag; as it it looks slightly pink.

Hmm, hadn't considered that, but I see what you mean. I'll fix it on the next pass.

I like the bigger flags but not the supersized so much. On version 4 it looks like the whole thing could still be framed by a circle if you went that far; where the supersized flags push it out to the sides overall so that it would have to be framed by an ellipse.

OK, that's one vote for the flag-size in version 4. I could go either way, myself. Anyone else have a vote before I start work on the next pass tomorrow?

I like the resized flame; looks good. I also like the outlining in grey, very much; it's a solid compromise. I understand about the color of the 'A'; it does blend rather well with the flame. I'm just concerned that it doesn't blend too well, such that at some distance that the 'A' isn't distinct enough to be seen clearly... Perhaps darkening it a little?

Another really good point I hadn't even considered. I'll try a couple of different colour combinations on the next pass.

Thanks for all your input, guys. This is fun! :D

Ben
08-08-2009, 02:10 AM
OK, that's one vote for the flag-size in version 4. I could go either way, myself. Anyone else have a vote before I start work on the next pass tomorrow?
I like both. Just looking at it I like the larger flags more, but then I get CFH's point about fitting the design in a circle. So I guess it would depend what we're using this for. I'd say go with #4 for now.

Ruroshen
08-08-2009, 02:33 AM
I like both. Just looking at it I like the larger flags more, but then I get CFH's point about fitting the design in a circle. So I guess it would depend what we're using this for. I'd say go with #4 for now.

Well, I can actually keep updating both without too much trouble, honestly. It feels like we've got the basic design down now, and it's all going to be fiddly bits from this point on.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't see a practical application for this (*cough*T-shirts!*cough*), but I honestly did start this just because I thought CFH's description was really cool, and I wanted to see if it could work visually. I just love the symbolism of it. The Liberty torch especially is a touch of genius.

Wish I could work a maple leaf in there, too...but enh, you work with whatcha got. :p

TheBarrett
08-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Well, I can actually keep updating both without too much trouble, honestly. It feels like we've got the basic design down now, and it's all going to be fiddly bits from this point on.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't see a practical application for this (*cough*T-shirts!*cough*), but I honestly did start this just because I thought CFH's description was really cool, and I wanted to see if it could work visually. I just love the symbolism of it. The Liberty torch especially is a touch of genius.

Wish I could work a maple leaf in there, too...but enh, you work with whatcha got. :p

Hey you know, you're a smart-aleck, you can screw one in the block somehow. :p

CFHollister
08-08-2009, 03:16 AM

Well the way I see it, you have a couple of options:
1) You can do another variation with a Canadian flag instead of the USA one.

2) You can turn the balls on top of the flagpoles you don't like that much in small black maple leaves (or maybe even read ones outlined in black).

There's also a very much more complicated tack you can take, but you might take that on as a separate project after you feel you're done with this one...
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/Dianemoblood/queen_crest.png
You can imagine a Mexican eagle, wings outstretched, over all clutching a pair of maple leaves. Also, dolphins (Alizée's favorite) supporting (rather in the positions of the lions in the Queen "crest") and also the traditional title given to the heir apparent to the throne of France (;)). Anyway just an idea for continuation of this project (but really a separate one)

Rev
08-08-2009, 05:16 AM
On a shirt, you could add a phrase such as "France's gift to America" or similar.

Toc De Mac
08-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Ruroshen, that design is awesome. Definitely t-shirt worthy material. :D

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/images/smilies/Thumbs%20Up.gif

jung_adore_ALIZEE
08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
as a side note if it will go on a shirt make sure the image is at least 1600X1200 bigger is still preferred ;) a smaller image would work fine for a breast pocket cover or such but for a full back more pixels is better

Ruroshen
08-09-2009, 12:31 AM
as a side note if it will go on a shirt make sure the image is at least 1600X1200 bigger is still preferred ;) a smaller image would work fine for a breast pocket cover or such but for a full back more pixels is better

Ah OK, good to know. I've been working almost that big, but not quite--about 1500X1100. Thanks.

Alright, here we go with round 6. So far I've just updated the "super-sized" flags version, but I can do the other one later once we've decided on a few minor things, here.

What I've changed: deepened the red on the French flag to match the US, and moved the "balls" from the top of the masts to the bottom, which I think looks cleaner. Also changed the logo back to being side-by-side, and pumped up the size of "Alizée" a touch (while reducing the size of "America to make room).

I didn't touch the flame at all on this pass, but for your consideration, here's a few different color options for the "A" to help it stand out more:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1750/aamlogotest06orange.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3605/aamlogotest06red.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6402/aamlogotest06blue.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3465/aamlogotest06purple.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2364/aamlogotest06black.jpg

Let me know what you think works best.

It feels like we're pretty close, here. Thanks again for all your feedback, guys! :D

TheBarrett
08-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I really like number 2, with the Red "A"
It just seems proper in the fire, warm colors complement each other, yet the red is dark enough to make it visible. :)

Rev
08-09-2009, 02:33 AM
As much as I would like to see an Orange version, let me suggest that you stick with the A being a color already present elsewhere on the design.

Ben
08-09-2009, 02:58 AM
I notice with the other colors that the "A" looks kinda pixilated, with some bits in white that should be transparent. I can provide a detailed vector if you need it? The one I was using for the aborted Paris banner...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l245/Snatcher42/LTNY/1defc916.jpg

Chuck
08-09-2009, 04:30 AM
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2364/aamlogotest06black.jpg

RURO and all: Love the design! After CFH dreamt it up, you nailed it!!! Just a couple things that concerned me. So (hope you don`t mind) I posted the logo above on the Lillytown.net forum. To see what the Frenchies thought.

My main concern is the head on the French flag. We might think it was cool if a head like that was on OUR flag, but a lot of Americans would be disgusted or outraged at the very notion. So I don't want this to accidentally piss somebody off. Esp if they're French, as that would contradict the original "international cooperation" intention.

The second concern was the order of the colors on the French flag--is the blue supposed to be THERE, or where the red is?

So I'm waiting a day or so to see what they say in Frogland. If you can wait too, I'd suggest it best not to start printing any shirts just yet.

But on the other hand, like I said, it does look pretty great as is! :o chuck.

Ben
08-09-2009, 05:51 AM
My main concern is the head on the French flag. We might think it was cool if a head like that was on OUR flag, but a lot of Americans would be disgusted or outraged at the very notion. So I don't want this to accidentally piss somebody off. Esp if they're French, as that would contradict the original "international cooperation" intention.
Ooo, good point. Hadn't occurred to me but you're absolutely correct. Especially since the Moor's head isn't just any old symbol, but one often associated with the at times violent Corsican independence movement. Could almost be seen like putting a confederate flag over ours, though even more current!

M'alizee
08-09-2009, 08:37 AM
I notice with the other colors that the "A" looks kinda pixilated, with some bits in white that should be transparent. I can provide a detailed vector if you need it? The one I was using for the aborted Paris banner...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l245/Snatcher42/LTNY/1defc916.jpg

mate thats very nice, but as chuck said it would be also great so see the french flag. :). but your pic is just awesome.

Chuck
08-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi all - WARNING - they're saying the French flag's colors SHOULD be reversed!

Re: the Moor's head on the flag-- so far, it seems most French folks wouldn't bee too offended, but they say there are Corsicans who'd go ape-shit. I'm sorta thinking we could maybe just leave it off? I mean, it's nice, but really not necessary. :o chuk

jung_adore_ALIZEE
08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi all - WARNING - they're saying the French flag's colors SHOULD be reversed!

you are correct it should be blue, white red respectively from the flag poll

http://www.freefoto.com/images/11/08/11_08_12---French-Flag_web.jpg

lefty12357
08-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I can't believe I didn't notice that before.

mavsluver41
08-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I wish I could come to the site more often nowadays: it's stuff like this that used to make me giddy like a little girl :). This design - the symmetry, the symbolism, etc. - is amazing!

About the Moor's head: I agree that we definitely should not superimpose it onto the French flag and that it's not necessary. But if someone was against omitting it completely, there seems to be enough space on the head of the torch (just above the handle) to place the image.

Srbski-kralj
08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I like the black/white letter A. It looks good, but the letter A that Ben used for the abandoned banner looks sick as hell.

lefty12357
08-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't know, maybe you can remove the head and work in the outline of Corsica instead somewhere.

Ruroshen
08-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Sure, that'd be awesome! I've been using a .png that I downloaded from another thread ages ago when I first signed up.

One thing before we go on: I'd just like to remind everybody that this is a mock-up design that is still in development. We're not running to the printers tomorrow--Ben and I haven't even discussed how, when or where we might use this, if at all. This is still very much an unofficial, just-for-fun project at this point...so while I appreciate all the feedback and encouragement, nobody freak out just yet, OK? I'm aware that it's still not ready for prime time. :p

OK, so here we go with take #7, incorporating all the suggestions and critiques that have been made since the last one. (Especially those from our friends at Lillytown.net--thanks, Chuck!)

What I've changed:

Reversed the French flag for the nitpickers, artistic license be damned. ;) If we do eventually put it on a T-shirt or something, and somebody comes up to you and points out that it's "backwards", you explain it to them. I'm washing my hands of it. :p

Also removed the Moor's head from the French flag. :( I'm sorry to see it go, but I appreciate the need for it. I've moved it to the Torch in one of the examples below, but it just looks silly and distracting to me. (I even tried recolouring it to grey to match the torch better, but that didn't look any better, and just opens us up to offending people again, sooooo...) I really don't want to lose it--I know everybody keeps saying it's not necessary, yet it was one of my favorite elements. However, I think it might look better if we did away with it altogether. :(

Kept the 'A' in red, since that was the only colour that really got any response (and is coincidentally the one I like best anyway, heh).

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7016/aamlogotest07a.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9659/aamlogotest07b.jpg

Any thoughts/concerns/objections?

TheBarrett
08-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Maybe you should layer everything onto a large Moor's head with like 40 or 50% opacity on the head. Therefore it looks as if the Head is "behind" it all.
It's throwing and idea into the dark but I thought it would work to make a more full appearance and get rid of white-color in the middle. :p

Ruroshen
08-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Maybe you should layer everything onto a large Moor's head with like 40 or 50% opacity on the head. Therefore it looks as if the Head is "behind" it all.
It's throwing and idea into the dark but I thought it would work to make a more full appearance and get rid of white-color in the middle. :p

Tried it. It's either so obscured that you can't tell what it is, or you have to go so ridiculously massive with it that it just overshadows everything else and becomes the dominant image, which kinda goes against the spirit of the piece.

Thanks, though. I appreciate the thought.

Chuck
08-10-2009, 03:53 AM
OK, so here we go with take #7, incorporating all the suggestions and critiques that have been made since the last one. (Especially those from our friends at Lillytown.net--thanks, Chuck!)

No, thank YOU Ruroshen. Amazing work! Like you, I hate to see the moor's head go, and I was almost about to suggest putting it on the torch. But ultimately, you've got to economize.

When you say there that there are no printing plans in place... that's fine, sorta what we really expected. But could the final art just be posted on this site for any of to use individually? (with due credit to this site and Ruroshen, of course.) That way, if any of us takes a silkscreening class, or happens to go and get 10 of these printed by accident, well, there they'd be.

Also regarding the final art - some folks are still talking pixels and "resolution", while Ben was suggesting vector (outline pattern) art. That's really the way to go, for any size! If conversion from raster to vector is an issue, I'd ask Ben first, he seems an expert. But if everyone else is busy, I can do it too. - Chuck :D

wasabi622
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
ok, maybe this was discussed earlier.. but what's the significance behind that head figure?

Ruroshen
08-10-2009, 01:24 PM
ok, maybe this was discussed earlier.. but what's the significance behind that head figure?

The Moor's Head is the symbol from the flag of Corsica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Corsica).

Karlalizee
08-10-2009, 01:30 PM
The Moor's Head is the symbol from the flag of Corsica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Corsica).

i am happy you said that ruroshen, i too was wondering why it was there.

Chuck
08-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Whoa, hi again!

Actually, I'd like to rephrase my "advice", above, about converting final art to a vector file-- traditionally, vector is better suited to T-shirts, where more solid colors and solid lines are the norm. And the resizeability of vectors is an advantage. I think the thing LOOKs like it would be a very natural vector file, if it isn't already...

But if this symbol were to be used for, say hats, bumper stickers, or (a thought) added to the top of our home page here, then bitmap will allow for more layering, shading, sparkles added, realistic flames, etc...**

And these days, most respectable T-shirt shops can do pretty amazing stuff with bitmaps and even photos, if the pixels are there. (Of course, the prepress costs will be more with more complex stuff) :D

----------------------------

RE: THE COST - Say, when design is finalized, can we mass-e-mail the picture to all our registrees (2000 +) ? with an explanation, suggested price, and asking if they'd be interested in one. Maybe even get size/style info from people (boy t's and girl t's might be a good option to offer) Once we get some responses, we could probably safely order, like 30 %- 50% of total "intended" demand... Probably wouldn't hurt if this website could sell 'em directly from here... Also wouldn't hurt to post it on our partner sites- if they'd agree- lots of Alizee fans from everywhere would probably be interested in a cool, colorful, "AlizeeAmerica" Tshirt. (Some of those folks are avid collectors. Serious. )

OH! CANADA!! (and making this symbol thing more complex again)
Which makes me want to say another thing - I personally don't see why we shouldn't have a Canadian Flag in there, BUT (and I'm not TRYING to make Ruroshen work, I'll try to do something like this myself, hopefully...) ..BUT-- if we have Canada, we gotta add Mexico. And Germany, and India, and Austria, and Barrettland...and all the other homelands that make up this forum. AND Corsica, too, while we're at it!

** - In fact, I'd sure love to see what this would look like if Barrett gave it some GIMP treatment! Or anybody else here???

edgar93
08-11-2009, 01:16 AM

yep, I'm still confused, what are we using this for :o? I'm sure you guys have something on mind but maybe I missed it ?

ImRawdg
08-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Maybe get a profile picture of Alizee and put that white thing around the head to imitate the Corsica head... :p

I think a photo or otherwise some picture of her should go *somewhere*

Ruroshen
08-11-2009, 02:05 AM
yep, I'm still confused, what are we using this for :o? I'm sure you guys have something on mind but maybe I missed it ?

I honestly did start this just for fun, to see if I could take CFH's awesome description and make it work visually...but from the responses here and the few PM's I've gotten about it, it's apparent that people want a T-shirt, and maybe some other AAm-themed swag as well (hats, iron-on patches, stickers, etc.). Ben and the staff need to hash out the details before anything is announced, though. We'll let you know!

Actually, I'd like to rephrase my "advice", above, about converting final art to a vector file-- traditionally, vector is better suited to T-shirts, where more solid colors and solid lines are the norm. And the resizeability of vectors is an advantage. I think the thing LOOKs like it would be a very natural vector file, if it isn't already...

It's not a vector file. I've been working in Photoshop, in very large dimensions similar to what Jung quoted earlier, and shrinking it down into a JPG for easy viewing on the forum. I agree that converting it over to a vector file would be ideal for the resizeability factor, but I know diddly-squat about Illustrator. Once we get the final design locked down, I'll need some help with this.

(Snipping some stuff about sales and production. Chuck, I'll PM you and pick your brain about this, if that's OK?)

Which makes me want to say another thing - I personally don't see why we shouldn't have a Canadian Flag in there, BUT (and I'm not TRYING to make Ruroshen work, I'll try to do something like this myself, hopefully...) ..BUT-- if we have Canada, we gotta add Mexico. And Germany, and India, and Austria, and Barrettland...and all the other homelands that make up this forum. AND Corsica, too, while we're at it!

Well, for the initial design, I'd like to keep it simple and iconic...but one of the great things about it is how easy it would be to swap out flag styles. It's entirely possible that we could offer different "insert your flag here" versions at some point without too much trouble.

** - In fact, I'd sure love to see what this would look like if Barrett gave it some GIMP treatment! Or anybody else here???

Oh, absolutely. Barring some minor tweaks in colour or placement of the elements, I think I've taken this just about as far as I can. Anyone who wants to build on this or reinterpret it in their own style is more than welcome! :D

TheBarrett
08-11-2009, 02:08 AM
^ Technically this is Alizée America, meaning the American flag is prominent. So is the French flag, as this is an American-based site based on a French singer. :p

I think if someone wants to swap the American flag for a flag of their own country, it would have to be custom ordered from (You) :p
I don't think mass productions of shirts with the "Mexican Flag" and "German Flag" customizations would technically uphold the name, nor would it be wise, for this site is a great way to unite all nations under Lili's banner, and America's. :p

But what do I know? :)

Ruroshen
08-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Maybe get a profile picture of Alizee and put that white thing around the head to imitate the Corsica head... :p

I think a photo or otherwise some picture of her should go *somewhere*

This may prove to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm more comfortable keeping Lili's likeness out of it, actually. She's well-represented by the "A" and her signature.

^ Technically this is Alizée America, meaning the American flag is prominent. So is the French flag, as this is an American-based site based on a French singer. :p

I think if someone wants to swap the American flag for a flag of their own country, it would have to be custom ordered from (You) :p
I don't think mass productions of shirts with the "Mexican Flag" and "German Flag" customizations would technically uphold the name, nor would it be wise, for this site is a great way to unite all nations under Lili's banner, and America's. :p[

Ah, but see, this is how you get people to buy TWO shirts...the initial offering with the American flag, and then later, a custom one with their own flag! It's all about putting asses in the seats, dammit! :p

Seriously though, if we were to say, use a Print-On-Demand model, I don't think mass-production would be an issue. And while, yes, we're an American fan site, the makeup of the community is really quite international. Why not show that off, too? America will still be well-represented, what with the Liberty torch being the dominant image, and all... ;)

...but this is honestly all pie-in-the-sky at this point, anyway. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

FireCanine
08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I thought I'd give the logo design a try: what do you think?
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/Alizeenewlogo.jpg

CFHollister
08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
A lot has happened with the design in the few days I've been gone. I'm glad to see someone come down strongly for reversing the colours if the French flag. I'm also sad to see the Moor's head go, but I completely understand the reasoning. Even when I had the idea of charging the French flag with it, I did have a kinda subconscience pang that it might not strike some people well. That being said I do want to make sure Corsica is represented in the design... Corsicans are very independent-minded and proud of being Corsican in general and I'm certain that Alizée must consider that as part of her identity at least as much as being French. So I'm thinking that some effort should be made to incorporate an outline of Corsica or some other less offensive (but hopefully no less obscure) symbol of Corsica into the design.

I also like the red 'A' for several reasons: 1) It incorporates the MCE 'A' colour in the Psych design; 2) It is still a "fire" colour; and 3) It is reasonably distinct from some distance.

I'm most especially pleased that there is interested in my design concept and that Ruroshen has taken it upon itself to realize that concept and the community has gotten involved in refining it. Makes all fuzzy on the inside :p

Sitting by the bay
08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7016/aamlogotest07a.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9659/aamlogotest07b.jpg

NITPICKER ALERT::p
FLAG PROTOCOL VIOLATION!:mad:
Being the Constitution carrying, red blooded America I am, I have a problem with the order of the flags.

As you well know, whenever the American flag is displayed with another country's, it must always appear to the viewer to be on the left. In other words, if you are the American flag, you will always be on the right of any other flags on display.

And in the case of crossing staffs as in your logo, the America flag staff must always be in front of the other staff. Not that you can really tell in your graphic, just an FYI.

(And yes, I do carry a copy of the Constitution in my wallet ;))

TheBarrett
08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
^ I guess strange patriotism really does go that far. :p

wasabi622
08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
^ I guess strange patriotism really does go that far. :p

there is nothing wrong with patriotism! though people question mine. apparently you can't be a "real American" if you're skin is yellow.

TheBarrett
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
there is nothing wrong with patriotism! though people question mine. apparently you can't be a "real American" if you're skin is yellow.

Haven't had a huge chance to be patriotic for any country, I frequently move and think the world overall beats any one country by lightyears. :p

wasabi622
08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Haven't had a huge chance to be patriotic for any country, I frequently move and think the world overall beats any one country by lightyears. :p

well, that's your sense, and that's fine! :D

but why can't I love America as my own country? It is my country. It's the country that I'd fight and die for. But noooo.. I have yellow skin and smaller eyes, so apparently I'm not actually American.

is that fair?!

I like this one a lot better. but without the microphone. but other wise, excellent! id like to suggest maybe incorporating that big fancy "A"?

Ben
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
As you well know, whenever the American flag is displayed with another country's, it must always appear to the viewer to be on the left. In other words, if you are the American flag, you will always be on the right of any other flags on display.
What if the other country feels the same way about their flag?

TheBarrett
08-11-2009, 10:41 PM
well, that's your sense, and that's fine! :D

but why can't I love America as my own country? It is my country. It's the country that I'd fight and die for. But noooo.. I have yellow skin and smaller eyes, so apparently I'm not actually American.

is that fair?!

I like this one a lot better. but without the microphone. but other wise, excellent! id like to suggest maybe incorporating that big fancy "A"?

Anyone can be American. There is no specification of what an American is nowadays. It's all too jumbled up to the point that it is anything :p
Americans are not white, the Caucasian Americans descended from European settlers. Asians are not American, they descended from Asia. Anyone regardless of appearance who is born in America Is considered American at birth, but of a descent that precedes USA's life. :)

lefty12357
08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Well I for one, feel sort of bad for CFH. All he wanted was to create a symbol representing Alizée, France, Corsica and her American fans. Why do we have to take an innocent and well meaning idea down this old familiar path? This is not about patriotism or nationalism. It's about Alizéeism...:)

TheBarrett
08-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Well I for one, feel sort of bad for CFH. All he wanted was to create a symbol representing Alizée, France, Corsica and her American fans. Why do we have to take an innocent and well meaning idea down this old familiar path? This is not about patriotism or nationalism. It's about Alizéeism...:)

Well there will always be those little details (which really don't matter) that come as a part in adding flags or nationalities in.
I for one vouch Ruro and CFH, and anyone else, judge for which design works fairly, ignore all the uselessness and unnecessary requirements, if anyone doesn't like it, they can just do their own design or not buy one at all. :rolleyes:

Ruroshen
08-12-2009, 01:48 AM

That's awesome, FC! Nice work! Like wasabi said, though, I think it'd be cool to see the 'A' represented on there somewhere. It'd also be fun to see the mic cord lead into Alizée's signature, rather than just dangle down beside it.

That being said I do want to make sure Corsica is represented in the design... Corsicans are very independent-minded and proud of being Corsican in general and I'm certain that Alizée must consider that as part of her identity at least as much as being French. So I'm thinking that some effort should be made to incorporate an outline of Corsica or some other less offensive (but hopefully no less obscure) symbol of Corsica into the design.

Yeah, that was a big part of why I was sad to lose the Moor's head. It really does lack something without it. The outline of Corsica's a nice idea, though. I'll see what I can do with that on the next pass.

I'm most especially pleased that there is interested in my design concept and that Ruroshen has taken it upon itself to realize that concept and the community has gotten involved in refining it. Makes all fuzzy on the inside :p

Awww...group hug, everybody!! :p

Uh, actually I didn't know that (being, um, Canadian and all). Anyway, it's an easy fix--probably the easiest fix I'll have had to make so far, as a matter of fact--but Ben has a good point...

What if the other country feels the same way about their flag?

Personally, I can see it both ways. On the one hand, we're an American fan-site, so shouldn't the American flag take precedence? On the other hand, we're an American Alizée fan-site, so shouldn't Alizée's nationality take precedence? We could argue around in circles forever. How about I flip it on the next pass, and we see how we feel about it?

(Man, every time I think I'm almost done, you guys pull me back in...!) :p

Next take will be up by tomorrow afternoon, give or take. Stay tuned!

Ben
08-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Personally, I can see it both ways. On the one hand, we're an American fan-site, so shouldn't the American flag take precedence? On the other hand, we're an American Alizée fan-site, so shouldn't Alizée's nationality take precedence? We could argue around in circles forever.
Well I think the point is favoring either one kinda defeats the purpose of a symbol meant to represent unity, no?

But then, will many notice? I didn't know that about our flag either.

I was also just asking in general, because rules on how to place one flag in relation to another strikes me as a sure-fire way to cause problems. :confused:

FireCanine
08-12-2009, 02:54 AM
I

I thought maybe the microphone as a good idea since she's a singer and with her singing she has united many countries with it like the USA and France. Though if you put a big ''A'' an ''A'' could mean alot of other things, hmm keep the good ideas comming Alizée fans! :D

That's awesome, FC! Nice work! Like wasabi said, though, I think it'd be cool to see the 'A' represented on there somewhere. It'd also be fun to see the mic cord lead into Alizée's signature, rather than just dangle down beside it.

oh yeah! while I was making the logo, I was thinking where to put the mic chord, I was going to put it where the line leads to the ''A'' but I didn't want to mess up her original autograph and then get yelled at by the other fans lol :confused:

ok ok I made a few changes
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/CopyofAlizeenewlogo.jpg

user472884
08-12-2009, 05:03 AM
I got a radically new idea, but I feel it gets the job done

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq231/King_Ocarina/Alizee/MC_JEAM_12.jpg

----------------

also if somebody could figure it out, have a flag made of those hologram-turning-things and have it do this
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq231/King_Ocarina/Alizee/alizee.gif

Karlalizee
08-12-2009, 08:44 AM
one of my brothers worked for a sports center where he made t-shirts for kids teams and he told me that the most colors you can use is four. that is because most printing machines have only four screens. if you want more than four it will cost more and is more likely to be out of align. instead of flags how about using the symbols of the u.s. and france? you could have the statue of liberty on side, the eiffel tower on the other and alizee in the middle.

Ruroshen
08-12-2009, 02:10 PM
OK, I think we're starting to cross over into "can't please everyone" territory, here. :p While I definitely appreciate everybody's input, I'm just about to the point where the design feels "finished" to me, so I don't think I'll be doing too many more iterations of it. If anyone wants to build on what CFH and I have started, or wants to post an entirely different interpretation, please feel free...but I think I'm just about done with my version. ;)

So here we go with take #8...

First, a quick look at how the current design looks with the flags reversed:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3753/aamlogotest08a.jpg

Not bad. Like I said before (short of offending anybody), design-wise, I could go either way. What do you guys think?

Next, a look at two attempts to incorporate the image of Corsica itself into the design, in place of the lost Moor's head. This didn't turn out quite as well. The two options I see are either blowing it up and having it sit in the background like so:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2838/aamlogotest08b.jpg

...or shrinking it down and placing it on the handle of the Liberty torch, like so:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7946/aamlogotest08c.jpg

I'm not convinced that either one works, exactly. Unless you know what it is you're looking at, the one on the torch is an unrecognizable blob. And the larger one in the background throws off the balance of the design, and really takes away from the rest of it. Unfortunately, if you make it any smaller, it winds up being so obscured that you really can't make out what it is.

Personally, as much as I like the idea and the symbolism behind it, I think we'd be better served to just leave it out altogether and keep it simple, but what do you guys think?

Sitting by the bay
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Nice work Ruro! Sorry I busted chops over the flag placement.

So on what capacity will the logo be used? I would hate to see all your hard work be only for shits and giggles

wasabi622
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM

hahaha, yes, im sorry, i didn't mean to steal the thread! :p

i was just trying to see what other peoples views were regarding something personal.

hey man, im all for this! like i said, i really like fire's idea.

ok ok I made a few changes
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/CopyofAlizeenewlogo.jpg

This is my pick. fo sho. BUT... the mike still needs to be worked on. not taken out! just.. refined a bit. :D

amazing job though!

Srbski-kralj
08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Thats preaty cool Rorushen, I like them all, Im gonig with wasabii on this one to.

Ruroshen
08-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Wow. No feedback or opinions about the Corsica outline at all? Really? Given how strongly everybody felt about the Moor's head, one way or the other, I'm kinda surprised.

Bueller...? Bueller...? Bueller...? :p

Nice work Ruro! Sorry I busted chops over the flag placement.

Heh, no worries. Given that we're playing with national symbols here, it shouldn't come as any surprise that some of us are going to be passionate about it.

So on what capacity will the logo be used? I would hate to see all your hard work be only for shits and giggles

Well, we'll see what happens. It's been fun no matter what. Thanks for helping out!

TheBarrett
08-13-2009, 02:30 AM
I liked the Corsica in the background design, but since you're looking for symmetry it wouldn't be that wise.
Although the Corsica in the background design can be implemented quite well if you're making patches or hats. :p

Ruroshen
08-13-2009, 02:37 AM
I liked the Corsica in the background design, but since you're looking for symmetry it wouldn't be that wise.
Although the Corsica in the background design can be implemented quite well if you're making patches or hats. :p

I'm so on the fence. I really want to include it (or at least something that speaks to Lili's Corsican heritage)...but yeah, I think it hurts the piece overall. I dunno, I guess this is why I was hoping for some second opinions. :o

Ben
08-13-2009, 02:43 AM
I'm so on the fence. I really want to include it (or at least something that speaks to Lili's Corsican heritage)...but yeah, I think it hurts the piece overall. I dunno, I guess this is why I was hoping for some second opinions. :o
Well again I think it comes down to what it's being used for. Imo, both of these logos would look great on polo shirts, where simpler is better.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5766/polo.png
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9895/39213887.png

TheBarrett
08-13-2009, 02:44 AM

Artistic vision varies, I personally like it as i'm very unorthodox with my artwork and don't tend to value symmetry as I do impressionism and placement.
You decide the end result, in the end i'm sure all the members that actually want a shirt will order one rather than not have one at all.

ImRawdg
08-13-2009, 03:25 AM
I think the only thing missing in the original design is that the straight flags should be waving (like the second design). Just a thought, if it can be done we should see how that would look.

Edit: By the way, I haven't read too deeply into this thread, so if the above has already been proposed, then forgive me.

FireCanine
08-13-2009, 04:01 AM
updated design once more http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/CopyofCopyofAlizeenewlogo.jpg

CFHollister
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Ruroshen, yeah I agree that those two implementations of the Corsica in the design aren't the greatest. I think we might need to put that on the back burner until some real inspirational idea happens to hit us.

As for as my design idea goes I think we are very close to a final. I love Ben's polo shirt idea, esp with the mock-up images he provided... makes a good sell (of the idea). I think one thing that the polo mock-up brings out is that the torch outline and details would need to be in black to actually be seen and for the torch itself to be recognized at a distance. I'm really digging the red 'A' now. :cool:

Wavy flags would be nice too. You might just try lifting the flag off of the mic symbol in this thread, resizing them and sticking them one, at least for a test. :p

My final suggestion is for the flag poles. I took the time to do a couple mock ups. These are only to display shapes only, they would need to be reproportioned to look right and possibly redrawn, since these are kinda crude and done quite quickly. Which one goes with which flag should be obvious.

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=46633&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=e0f8db5def63819123af387d30792850

lefty12357
08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
You can look at the link below for more symbols of Corsica to get some ideas, but we have no way of knowing if Alizée identifies with any of them. Regardless, I think the information is interesting. I like the spiral and the Eye of Santa Lucia myself.

http://www.corsica-isula.com/symbols.htm#Gran%C3%ACtula

wasabi622
08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
updated design once more http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/CopyofCopyofAlizeenewlogo.jpg

damn, you on fire! this is getting better and better!
:D

Ben
08-13-2009, 07:35 PM
You can look at the link below for more symbols of Corsica to get some ideas, but we have no way of knowing if Alizée identifies with any of them. Regardless, I think the information is interesting. I like the spiral and the Eye of Santa Lucia myself.

http://www.corsica-isula.com/symbols.htm#Gran%C3%ACtula
How about a Gecko like on her ankle?

http://www.rubberstampplantation.com/store/graphics/00000002/7680%20TN.jpg

CFHollister
08-13-2009, 10:28 PM
How about a Gecko like on her ankle?

http://www.rubberstampplantation.com/store/graphics/00000002/7680%20TN.jpg

There we go. That's a good idea. And if we're also thinking of Alizée's tatoos, maybe we might also give La Fée Clochette some consideration.

lefty12357
08-13-2009, 10:54 PM
There we go. That's a good idea. And if we're also thinking of Alizée's tatoos, maybe we might also give La Fée Clochette some consideration.

Yeah, tink can be lighting the flame...

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2352/aamlogotestfc.jpg

But she looks so out of place with the other elements and it's hard to maintain the symmetry you have now if you add more to it. I think you may have to quit while you're ahead...:D

(Now you can see why I didn't enter the art contest...:))

TheBarrett
08-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Well when it comes to art I rarely regard the wishes or opinions of others, my art is not something to garner fame or victory. It is to satiate my creative itches, considering this is art to add contempt for others the consideration is required. With the fanart, It is purely personal. :)

Alex
08-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Well this is a design that I just finished, I actually wanted this thread to start XD, when I joined this forum I thought to myself howcome this fan club didnt have a logo?? So I came up with this design,; I hope you guys like it and hopefully contribute to an official Alizee American Logo. I really liked the ideas brought up by all of us in getting an official design!
ENJOY!

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx242/AlexTHX/2.jpg

Rev
08-14-2009, 12:41 AM
How about putting the Gecko where the Corsican symbol was earlier (And keeping the Tinkerbell)? :)

wasabi622
08-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Well this is a design that I just finished, I actually wanted this thread to start XD, when I joined this forum I thought to myself howcome this fan club didnt have a logo?? So I came up with this design,; I hope you guys like it and hopefully contribute to an official Alizee American Logo. I really liked the ideas brought up by all of us in getting an official design!
ENJOY!

holy frick! you draw this by hand!? nice job! you nailed the fancy "A" thingy!! :D

Alex
08-14-2009, 01:17 AM
holy frick! you draw this by hand!? nice job! you nailed the fancy "A" thingy!! :D Yeah man,thanx for ur comment!:)

jung_adore_ALIZEE
08-14-2009, 06:53 AM
I do like the hand drawing it's quite nice

TheBarrett
08-14-2009, 07:08 AM
More artists = more fun
Which is why I love this forum out of all the Alizée forums, the personalities are clear and the creativity will always be at an all-time high. ;)

Toc De Mac
08-14-2009, 08:34 AM
[IMG]http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx242/AlexTHX/2.jpg

Wow... GREAT work !! :eek:

Fyrel
08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
ENJOY!

I'm really liking this one; it's in an easily usable format (i.e, not too tall or wide) and doesn't incorporate too many elements. It has a very clean feel to it. I have two complaints though: 1. It's not digital (easily fixed) and 2. The silhouette is still old school Alizée. I suppose that being an Alizée forum means we hold onto the past just as dear as we do the present (or future?), so....I guess it's a moot point. Good job though, it's seriously nice!

JEP
08-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Good Drawing Alex , Another Option For AA To Consider.:D

lefty12357
08-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Alex, I think your design is really good too! I can picture a large version of it on the back of a jacket. As far as Alizée’s silhouette goes, I think it has become such a huge icon that it represents Alizée in general and doesn’t necessarily confine the image to the MCE era. I wouldn’t change it.

Alex
08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
THANX ALOT GUYS!! Really appreciate your comments and suggestions I`m glad you liked it. :) Lets hope we soon have an Official Logo with merchandise!XD

Srbski-kralj
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Nice job Alex :D nice ot have another artist in here. yeah Lefty I agree with that would look awesome on the back of a Jacket.

wasabi622
08-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Alex, I think your design is really good too! I can picture a large version of it on the back of a jacket. As far as Alizée’s silhouette goes, I think it has become such a huge icon that it represents Alizée in general and doesn’t necessarily confine the image to the MCE era. I wouldn’t change it.

ZOMG! excellent idea! that would work perfectly on the back of a leather jacket or something similarly badass. we need to create a "clothings" thread!

Ben
08-15-2009, 12:59 AM
As far as Alizée’s silhouette goes, I think it has become such a huge icon that it represents Alizée in general and doesn’t necessarily confine the image to the MCE era. I wouldn’t change it.
Well to be honest, I would want something more recent for anything used here officially. Though don't let that stop anyone from making whatever they want just for fun. It's still great art, Alex! :)

Ruroshen
08-15-2009, 03:07 AM
OK, so here we go with take #9. Get ready for an info-dump!

Remember when I said that I thought we were crossing over into "can't please everyone" territory? We are now well past the border, have cleared customs, and are shopping in the duty-free store. :p I've done my best to incorporate everybody's suggestions since the last pass, and I'm finding the result is less than the sum of its parts. Your mileage may vary.

(The only suggestion I haven't incorporated is the inclusion of Tinkerbell. I don't know how serious you guys were about that, but Disney does not fool around when it comes to protecting their trademarks. A foreign fan club might have some wiggle room...but a site based in the States? Eesh. It wouldn't be pretty.)

So with all the "options" turned on, the logo looks like so:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2192/aamlogotest09a.jpg

I'll be blunt: I don't like it. This is waaaaaaay too busy now. And the wavy flags--as great as they look in Fire Canine's design--look limp and uninspiring here. I'm still not crazy about how the torch looks outlined in black, but I appreciate that's probably a necessity if we do use it on a shirt. The one thing I do like is the gecko, but I'm not sure how well that will reproduce, especially on a polo shirt-sized design.

Fortunately, through the wonder of Photoshop, I can turn options on and off at will, so here's a look at a few more stripped-down options...both with the wavy flags, and without. (Allow me to stress, though, how much I really don't like the wavy flags!) Let me know if you see one you like.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4311/aamlogotest09b.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2694/aamlogotest09c.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6273/aamlogotest09d.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8649/aamlogotest09e.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1494/aamlogotest09f.jpg

Fair warning: I think we're coming pretty close to the end of the "community input" portion of our little experiment here, folks. So if you have an opinion, now's the time to speak up! Thanks again!

TheBarrett
08-15-2009, 03:13 AM
I actually really like the wavy flags option. :)

Ruroshen
08-15-2009, 03:18 AM

Yeah, I was afraid somebody was gonna say that... :o

jung_adore_ALIZEE
08-15-2009, 03:26 AM

I concur and the one without all the fancy type poles

Ben
08-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Looking good! Though if you go with the details on the flag polls, I think they should be smaller. Also the "A" still seems kinda jagged. Maybe it's just in these shrunk down samples, but are you using the vectors I sent you? Make sure to set them to antialias.

wasabi622
08-15-2009, 09:29 AM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4311/aamlogotest09b.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2694/aamlogotest09c.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8649/aamlogotest09e.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1494/aamlogotest09f.jpg

my favorite is the second picture. with the wavy flag and the fancy flag pole thingy.
i think the straight flags would look kinda lame on a t-shirt, whereas the wavy flags adds a bit of something to it.

JEP
08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
I Like Option #4,Wavy Flags And All.

lefty12357
08-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Once you introduce the wavy flags, the graphic takes on a 3D quality instead of a 2D quality. If you do that, I think you should also accentuate the curved isolines on the torch to show that it is cylindrical. But if you do that, the gecko needs to be "wrapped" onto the surface of the torch, not just placed on it flat.

If you go with the straight, flat flags, then it holds together better as a 2D graphic. As Ben said, if you use the flagpole details, I would make them smaller.

I find mixing 2D with 3D doesn't always work. I would lean one way or the other. Having said that, I think the 5 versions above are all appealing to the eye. Sorry if my musings aren't much help...:)

Ruroshen
08-15-2009, 02:33 PM
So I say that I don't like the wavy flags, and what does everybody else pick? Yeah, that sounds about right. :p

Also the "A" still seems kinda jagged. Maybe it's just in these shrunk down samples, but are you using the vectors I sent you? Make sure to set them to antialias.

Since this is just a mock-up and not the final design, I've been lazy and haven't used the vector "A" yet. I should probably work that in on the next pass.

Once you introduce the wavy flags, the graphic takes on a 3D quality instead of a 2D quality. If you do that, I think you should also accentuate the curved isolines on the torch to show that it is cylindrical.

If we do wind up going with wavy flags--and have I mentioned how much I don't like the wavy flags? :p--I will definitely need to do some work on the torch to have it match. Honestly, though, I feel like we're really getting away from the clean, iconic simplicity of the original design, which is one of the things I liked about it. Sometimes 1 +1 + 1 = 1/3.

If you go with the straight, flat flags, then it holds together better as a 2D graphic. As Ben said, if you use the flagpole details, I would make them smaller.

I'll try it again with the details smaller on the next pass, but again, I'm not sure how well it would reproduce, especially on a small polo shirt design.

I find mixing 2D with 3D doesn't always work. I would lean one way or the other.

This is my sense as well. I'm obviously leaning more towards 2D myself. I'll wait until CFHollister weighs in before making any decisions, though.

lefty12357
08-15-2009, 02:52 PM
If we do wind up going with wavy flags--and have I mentioned how much I don't like the wavy flags? :p--I will definitely need to do some work on the torch to have it match. Honestly, though, I feel like we're really getting away from the clean, iconic simplicity of the original design, which is one of the things I liked about it. Sometimes 1 +1 + 1 = 1/3.

Yeah, I agree, I guess this is what I was driving at.

ImRawdg
08-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I Like Option #4,Wavy Flags And All.

^^^

Same here.

FireCanine
08-15-2009, 08:18 PM
FireCanine's new and improved Alizée America design
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/AlizeeAmericFlagDesign.jpg

edgar93
08-15-2009, 08:34 PM
I cast my vote for the very last one. To be honest I don't like the wavy flags and the 3D effect :o. Besides, the 5th one is simple, no 3D object, no poles, and for me it looks great that way.

And I think the Gecko just doesn't fit in there :o. Sorry about the "downer", but I'm just saying what I think.

FireCanine
08-15-2009, 09:11 PM
some shirt ideas with the designs (the shirts remind me of the French Flag)
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/AlizeeAmericaFireCaninedesignexampl.jpg

Fall
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
i sorta the wavy flags ruroshen, but i totally see where you're coming from. the flags look kinda crumpled up if you look at it from an art critics point of view i guess, but the people who will see this will just be people on the street, at school (for me), not art pros.

ben, i like the shirts you posted. it looks great except that they're polo shirts. i dont really like the collar thing unless its on a button up shirt but thats just me. all im asking is for a regular collar type shirt like on fire canines post above. lol pweety pweease? i would order one or two, i assure you.

Alex, i love your drawing! wow omg! in case some other members want to add their flags, it easy to include them in the circle you drew, so thats very convinient.

FC, you have a pretty good design going there too. the blue and red options for the shirts was a great idea.

wasabi622
08-15-2009, 11:51 PM
is there anything else we can do it on rather than those? i mean.. they seem sorta plain.
how bout like.. having the logo a bit smaller, or on a colored shirt?

id like to offer more suggestions.. but im a bit out of it right now. :P

FireCanine
08-16-2009, 12:28 AM
There are many different colors and styles, these are only a few
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/shirts.jpg

Fyrel
08-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Personally, I'd like the current logo, but red. Minimalism wins. I might take a crack at the design though.

btw, is it possible to obtain a clean image of the Alizée America logo that's currently being used? Or at least the Alizée without the bottom Z cut off?

wasabi622
08-16-2009, 12:46 PM
There are many different colors and styles, these are only a few
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/shirts.jpg

i like the placement and size of the logo on the yellow shirt... though i think it'll look cooler on a black t-shirt, rather than a sickly yellow. or maybe i just prefer dark colored clothing.

*shrug*

FireCanine
08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
as someone said before, seems like we can't please everyone lol

wasabi622
08-17-2009, 12:26 AM
hey man, don't please me! im just throwing suggestions out there. :D
I JUST WANT A BLOODY T-SHIRT TO WEAR AROUND! now that im going to college, i no longer have a car to drive around in raping everyones ears with her music. :p

Chuck
08-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Boy, I wasn't gone that long. Where'd the whole party go?

(Don't worry, I know, I was keeping up, just had nothing new to contribute.)

But in a way, this totally reminds me of something I found while looking up different flags. Some guy invented a new "world flag" by tracing all the existing flags. It looked like this:
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/onefla10.jpg

Anyway, I still love Ruroshen's bold, 2D styling of the design, but i was hung up on trying to get other flags into the picture. With varying degrees of success. I'm quite ready now to give up on the additional flags, but first let me show you all a couple attempts:

This first pic was just to try to show the logo with black background, like wasabi said.
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/aamlog10.gif

Then I started downloading separate flags to add. Pretty soon I had several dozen, which was getting ridiculous. We really do have people from a lot of different places here! Plus, once you add Belgium and the Netherlands, you're kinda stuck with Luxembourg too.

So then I just found some round, composite-flag graphics to add. Here is one.
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/aaproj10.jpg

And here is one where I did a couple shocking changes. Besides the ring of flags, I moved the Gecko. And I screwed with the "A". Hold on, lemme 'xplain!

I wanted us to be able to copyright the image or something (simple as adding the '(c)' line in the image below). Yes, my business gears flaring up again.. Anyway, we couldn't do that if it's already infringing on somebody else's copyright. Which the "A" could be construed to be.

So to make a new "A", I traced her hair. See if you can guess which photo it's from!

Like I said, I could give up on the extra flags. But I do wish we'd rethink the "A". Even if it's not this way. But I do kinda like this "hairpiece" thing. Here goes:
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/aaproj11.jpg

Huh? Hey? Come back to this thread, someone? Anyone? :(

Anyway, that's what I got. Correspondingly, Chuck. :o

Fyrel
08-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Boy, I wasn't gone that long. Where'd the whole party go?

(Don't worry, I know, I was keeping up, just had nothing new to contribute.)

But in a way, this totally reminds me of something I found while looking up different flags. Some guy invented a new "world flag" by tracing all the existing flags. It looked like this:
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/onefla10.jpg

Anyway, I still love Ruroshen's bold, 2D styling of the design, but i was hung up on trying to get other flags into the picture. With varying degrees of success. I'm quite ready now to give up on the additional flags, but first let me show you all a couple attempts:

This first pic was just to try to show the logo with black background, like wasabi said.

Then I started downloading separate flags to add. Pretty soon I had several dozen, which was getting ridiculous. We really do have people from a lot of different places here! Plus, once you add Belgium and the Netherlands, you're kinda stuck with Luxembourg too.

So then I just found some round, composite-flag graphics to add. Here is one.
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/aaproj10.jpg

And here is one where I did a couple shocking changes. Besides the ring of flags, I moved the Gecko. And I screwed with the "A". Hold on, lemme 'xplain!

I wanted us to be able to copyright the image or something (simple as adding the '(c)' line in the image below). Yes, my business gears flaring up again.. Anyway, we couldn't do that if it's already infringing on somebody else's copyright. Which the "A" could be construed to be.

So to make a new "A", I traced her hair. See if you can guess which photo it's from!

Like I said, I could give up on the extra flags. But I do wish we'd rethink the "A". Even if it's not this way. But I do kinda like this "hairpiece" thing. Here goes:

Huh? Hey? Come back to this thread, someone? Anyone? :(

Anyway, that's what I got. Correspondingly, Chuck. :o

The hair idea is really unique. It's worth experimenting with, I think, maybe even as its own logo. There's the issue of Alizée constantly changing her hairstyle (as people are wont to do), but the idea definitely has potential.

BlackAnthem
08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
hey man, don't please me! im just throwing suggestions out there. :D
I JUST WANT A BLOODY T-SHIRT TO WEAR AROUND! now that im going to college, i no longer have a car to drive around in raping everyones ears with her music. :p

I am in the process of making one right NOW!

Toc De Mac
08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Chuck,

I really do like the design with the flag-sphere in the background even if it is moving away from the idea of simplicity.

As for the second, "hair symbol" design, I must admit that I didn't make the connection to the letter A until you pointed it out. I thought that perhaps Alizée was being blindfolded, as if she were "nationality-blind." :o

Perhaps sunglasses might connect the two sides of hair better to form a more elegant A?

Chuck
08-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi Chuck,

I really do like the design with the flag-sphere in the background even if it is moving away from the idea of simplicity.

As for the second, "hair symbol" design, I must admit that I didn't make the connection to the letter A until you pointed it out. I thought that perhaps Alizée was being blindfolded, as if she were "nationality-blind." :o

Perhaps sunglasses might connect the two sides of hair better to form a more elegant A?

Thanks! And thanks Fyrel, too! (Anthem, can't wait to see what you did!) As for sunglasses, that's good, I'll try it. But I like the suggestion of "nationality-blindness" Toc mentions. I was sorta thinkin the rectangle-across-the-eyes represented Alizee's relative anonymity in the states, in a way that might even make people more curious about her. Or it could even suggest the way US radio and record labels have "blanked" her out from the US markets...

I confess, I also did the rectangle because it was fast and easy. And because it seemed the best way to make an "A". But sunglasses, maybe that could work...:cool:

CFHollister
08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
So I've been gone for a few days and subsequently out of the loop, but my final favorite design is this one, Ruroshen:

I think the pole toppers I suggested should be left off, or made almost half their size (actually the pole bottoms could be a little smaller, but now I'm just nitpicking :p). We could tweak and adjust forever and still not please everyone... But as Ruroshen's excellent work stemming from my idea, I think it's just about a wrap. :cool:

I also like the wavy flags as a variation to be maintained in parallel, though I agree that the 2-D make a more clear a bold statement.

Love the gecko, personally. I also like the additional personal element from Alizée.

About the incorporating world flags into the design... I'm for it if it's developed as a separate variation of the main design. But also, I envisioned the symbol to symbolize France-Alizée-American unity, not Alizée America the site itself which is clearly a much more international entity. And so I would only really support including other American flags. Not that I want to exclude the World of Alizée, but then the other major symbols particular to both the USA and France (the Torch of the Statue of Liberty which exists in New York and two locations in France; and the US and French flags dominant) would themselves be out of place... Such an international scope was not the intention of my original idea, which is also why I've never been advocating that this symbol represent this site in any "official" capacity per se.

wasabi622
08-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I am in the process of making one right NOW!

once yer done, can i see it? i'll pay money for it!! :D

B

freaking LOVE it!

Chuck
08-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Dear Esteemed CFHollister,

First, another big thank you! You were the one who "thought up" this current logo, and started this whole process off. We owe you one! But I gotta talk to you bout what you say, two comments up:

Look, you can criticize my contributions, you can criticize me. I won't take it personally. I'm not married to the "ring o' flags", like I said. I'm just trying to contribute.

But when you say you never intended for your "Alizée America Logo/Symbol" to represent this site, well, intended or not, I don't think you can really say that anymore.

In Post #1 here, from you:
"I've had an idea for, what I think would be, an awesome logo/symbol for Alizée America ... Between the bottom ends of the flagpoles, is "Alizée America" in Alizée hand as the logo here on the site."

So, CF, you had a lot of us thinking from the start, that you meant for this "Alizée America Logo/Symbol" to represent this site. To represent us. You can see where we might've gotten that idea, right? I mean, you can't just ask Google to help you put out ads that say "Google", with Google logos, then later claim they don't really represent Google, can you?

And more importantly, who's been working this logo? Ruroshen and other members of the Alizée America Forum, that's who-- including you! You can do whatever you want, of course, go make your own Alizée hat or shirt or bolo tie or jockstrap with this, or use part of it, or use any logo you wish. But you cannot, good sir, no you cannot say now or ever that this communally-developed masterpiece does not represent us! No sir, you may not take this away from us! Not anymore!

In other words, sorry, but I do like OUR logo. I like the fact that it's better already (BECAUSE OF ALIZÉE AMERICA) than if any of us had just done it alone.

So I propose we should let this thread keep going for another week or two, without all the negativity!

Let's let a few more people comment, or try other changes, and wait to see what Anthem gets. For quite a while there, this thread was exciting and fun! And some good things could still actually come of it, if we just see it through to some conclusion we (mostly) all agree on!

So, CF, sorry to go all Victorian on you there, but man, you can't just bail on your baby now. You can't just talk like you're pulling the plug or the funding or your endorsements away. So you might as well relax and enjoy it!

Most Respectfully, Chuck. :o

CFHollister
08-20-2009, 03:11 AM
LOL (or MDR if you prefer) :p Wow, you eve whipped out the bigger font size on me :blink:

Apparently the part that I didn't emphasize enough in my first post was:
...more specifically USA/French unity in Alizée.

Which I did try to clarify several posts later:
I think some people might be slightly confused what I'm proposing here. I'm not proposing this really be a logo or anything actually used on the site in any "official" capacity. I just think it would: 1) just look cool and be a neat combination of symbols; and 2) might be something cool to put on the back of some shirts.

The main reason I stated/intended this was that: I had an idea, and I didn't want to be so arrogant myself to come in and say: "Hey everyone, I have an idea to represent all of us (which my idea doesn't do very well since AAm really is much more international than the name suggests)... And... I want it to be 'official' and posted all over the site." That's what I didn't want to say or have happen. But I did have an idea that I wanted to share and would love to see be made into reality, but where my own skills were lacking.

So in my effort to mainly not try to speak for everyone, it seems you think that I am. I am not trying to necessarily close the discussion. If people want to take it further, then, by all means. But, Ruroshen himself has stated that we're probably coming to the end of his efforts to put work into many more iterations. I'm mainly just stating now that I feel that my idea has come to fruition to the satisfaction of my original concept and intentions. In fact I was trying to make clear my satisfaction with all the work everyone has done, not be negative in any way.

I hope that clarifies my position and alleviates your concerns.

Ben
08-20-2009, 03:48 AM
(which my idea doesn't do very well since AAm really is much more international than the name suggests)
You know it's funny you say that. Not that we don't welcome international members, but this site's raison d'être has always been to be an American Alizée fansite (indeed the very first), since places like AF already had the global angle covered. I think that's still true, especially in regard to promotion. I even kinda wrote it into a mission statment (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4759) when taking over (though do mention international outreach as well).

So while the other flags are very nice, I don't think I'd use them on anything "official" (hate that word) like a shirt. Though that's the only use I have in mind at the moment, so it shouldn't discourage anyone from developing this or any other ideas further. Thanks for the enthusiasm everyone ! :)

FireCanine
08-20-2009, 06:21 AM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w281/FireCanine/noir.jpg

Ruroshen
08-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Woo! This is probably my favorite "alternate" interpretation so far. I love the ring of international flags in the background, and I really dig what you did with the "A"! Like others have said, I think if you swapped in Lili's signature Wayfarers in place of the rectangle, it would look really ace!

OK, so here we go with take 10, incorporating some of the suggestions since the last pass. While there will probably be a minor tweak or two to be done, I'm pretty sure that one of these is gonna be "it".

First of all, I've decided to stick with the 2D flags. I know some people were really in favor of the 3D wavy flags, but I feel pretty strongly that they don't serve the design nearly as well, even though they may look better to some. It's an easy enough swap, though, that we may be able to do a "wavy flag variant" if there's a demand for it, once everything else about the design is nailed down. (It'll really depend on how we decide to handle the shirt printing and order fulfillment.)

So here's how it looks with the flag tops and bottoms shrunk down about 2/3:

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7131/aamlogotest10a.jpg

...and here it is without the tops:

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4771/aamlogotest10b.jpg

I've also finally incorporated the vectorized "A", which now gives us the option to leave some of the accents on it transparent. I don't think it stands out as well, but for sake of argument, here's how it looks:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9463/aamlogotest10c.jpg

Finally, just for wasabi, here's how it looks on black (with a white outline for contrast). I can't believe this is all it took to win you over, dude! :p

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1803/aamlogotest10black.jpg

Let me know what you think, guys!

ImRawdg
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM

let me know what you think, guys!

WIN!!! I love it!

BlackAnthem
08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
How do I post a picture I have on my computer?

Ruroshen
08-20-2009, 12:50 PM

You have to host the image somewhere on the web, and then post a link to it in your post (using the "Insert Image" button on the top of the reply form). I generally use ImageShack (http://imageshack.us/) (which is free) but there's a lot of different options out there if you Google it.

Just make sure to save your picture in a format that can be displayed on the web, like jpg or png.

CFHollister
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
With the smaller flagpole tops and bottoms, I'm leaning towards leaving the tops on but I'm not married to the idea. I think the vector A is much better, but I agree with leaving those portions that were white, white... I think you're right about them helping the A logo stand out and remain fully distinct. I also dig the black version :cool:

You have to host the image somewhere on the web, and then post a link to it in your post (using the "Insert Image" button on the top of the reply form). I generally use ImageShack (http://imageshack.us/) (which is free) but there's a lot of different options out there if you Google it.

Just make sure to save your picture in a format that can be displayed on the web, like jpg or png.

Sometimes I use my member gallery here on AAm for that purpose ;)

BlackAnthem
08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Ahh. Thank you all. I will do that.

Ben
08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
All these latest designs are pure win. Toppers or not I don't care, and black background or white will totally depend on what we're printing on.

I've also finally incorporated the vectorized "A", which now gives us the option to leave some of the accents on it transparent. I don't think it stands out as well, but for sake of argument, here's how it looks:
There is a third option, though I'm not necessarily advocating it because I can't be sure how it will look until I see it. But just to throw it out there, instead of transparent those portions could be a lighter shade of the main color, like they did on the album cover:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/Alizee_psychedelices.jpg

Srbski-kralj
08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
yeah ruroshen i love the one with the black background and the white outlining, it is awesome, i also love the one that Chuch presented with the geiko in the fancy A, and the other flags in the back ground.

wasabi622
08-22-2009, 01:53 AM

EPIC. WIN. honestly, we need to VOTE and start churning these out!

when can i hope to get my hands on a few of those?

Fyrel
08-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Finally, just for wasabi, here's how it looks on black (with a white outline for contrast). I can't believe this is all it took to win you over, dude! :p

Let me know what you think, guys!

This is my favorite version thus far, but I do have a couple suggestions. The color scheme is a little too complicated right now; the eye is attracted to too many things at once, and it becomes a little confusing, visually. A sharp white outline would work better than a fuzzy one, IMO. Tighten it up, remove any excess visual elements and focus on a color scheme (3 colors at most, I would think) and we could have a winrar. :D

AlizéeDuSiècle
08-22-2009, 05:12 AM
im not gonna lie but that would make a cool hat design too

JimmyDean23
08-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Soooo.... when can are we going to decide on the final version and get these shirts printed? Sorry but I just cant wait to wear this around campus. Anyways I really like it on the black background, its almost perfect. I kind of agree with Fyrel on the fact that there are too many things going on but we really cant get rid of anything. The torch is kinda throwing it off, its just not a pretty shade of green. Honestly I dont care what it looks like as long as it has Alizée America written on it.

Fyrel
08-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Gimme a couple days, I'm still working on my design...

wasabi622
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
im on campus. and NOTHING to promote Alizee with. that's a problem!!

i have my poster, but i can't really carry that around with me. its in my room, so whoever comes in gets a dosage of my Alizeeification, but thats it.

the black back ground one is orgasmically awesome! now lets start churning 'em out.

Alex
08-27-2009, 03:39 AM
I think we have done huge progress since the opening of this thread, we have seen the hard work of many members all trying to contribute to a final Oficial design worthy of Alizée America. Ruroshen has done a really awsome job doing it digital the design. With all our comments,opinions, and designs we are working together to make this an accomplishment.
Now the reality is that soon the new album will be released and Alizée America will need of an Official Logo to start the promotion, I just hope we can have the official design ready for the new album, the thing is that we are all anxious to wear our logo around school, work anywhere!XD But so far I am enjoying the designs and brainstorming for the Official design, Great Job Dudes!

wasabi622
08-28-2009, 12:04 AM
to make it all official and such, i think we need to have an legit vote!

so once everyone has submitted their logo, such as fyrel's, we can vote on it, so that later on, no one can complain that they don't like the logo.

Alex
08-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Seems perfectly democratic to me Wasabi XD So there could be no if's and but's =D

Fall
08-29-2009, 11:35 PM
im ready to vote! hopefully the awesome designers are close to wrapping up their creations. thank you guys so much, your work is greatly appreciated. :)

wasabi622
08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
i too, am very much ready to vote! :D

Chuck
09-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Wow, it's been a few days since any activity here!

As some may recall, last time I was on this thread I was trying to tear CFHollister a new one, olde schoole style. (Not really. Again I apologize to CFH! He's a gentleman and a scholar, and he got that I was only about 1/10th serious there) (so I guess I'm summarizing this in case anyone else thought I was more earnest than that...) CFH, again, here's to you!

As far as voting goes, I'd happily vote today for The Alizée America Logo exactly as it is, in Ruroshen's latest incarnations. It's beautiful, simple, got nice primary colors-- what more do you want?

Okay, one more thing we might want...
>> How about a monochromatic version? << Just black on white, and maybe it could be reversed for white ink on black t-shirts or hats. Otherwise, color printing on black gets more challenging. Also more expensive. If it's a smaller, pocket-size or hat-size printing, full-color will certainly look quite sharp, but more economical alternatives can have almost as much appeal.

(Actually, I suppose a monochrome version would be best developed AFTER the final color version is chosen. So this suggestion is kinda early. But just thought I'd mention, to see if I was the only one thinking that or not.)

So there! I think a lot of us are ready to vote, because we've already got a winner!

That much being said, NOW SOME IDEAS FOR NEXT YEAR'S VERSION: (XP)

At some point in the future, I'd like to see more flags on there. I've said it before, now I've said it some more. Because we're international. And so is Alizée.

Also, I previously said I was concerned about using the Psychedélices "A" because it might be copyrighted.
Well,
Not that I'm lobbying,
but I've got three other teensy little probs with that "A". So I'm just going to say 'em, cause I can't seem to shut up now.

1.) It's rather feminine. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
2.) "The Scarlet Letter". Big Red A. That`s all.
and -
3.) Here's a good one: in just a few weeks, that "A" will be the symbol from the old album! In all likelihood, she'll have moved on.........

Okay, I'll shut up now. But here's some other A's. Just to look at. Some bad. Some less bad. The Eiffels are supposed to look like A's too. They don't. I know.

http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/eiffel10.jpg

http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/a_s110.jpg

And, for those who liked the "hairdo" thing, but wanted to see her with sunglasses, well i tried a few different kinds. The results are pretty good, but none of 'em look anything like a letter "A" anymore. So I'm gonna keep doing something with those, I'm thinking a printable sticker sheet could be neat.

But here's one of the experiments, perhaps looking a little Warholesque. (Hey, if the new disc really IS about Edie, that may be an effective marketing approach to exploit ) ?.?.?..

http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/21/49/37/aliz210.jpg

:confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused: :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes: :confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused: :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes: :confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused: :rolleyes: - Ch.

user472884
09-03-2009, 07:13 AM
I like the hair one but I think the sunglasses are unnecessary

Chuck
09-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Jalen. Actually, the hair thing will probably reappear somewhere else soon*, but I just brung it here for show-an-tell. It's got nothing at all to do with this logo any more, as far as I'm concerned.

As for saying "Warholesque" above, yes, I am full of it. I'm sorry. But I do have a rough version with 16 hairpieces on an 8-1/2 x 11 size - each a bit different - and it reminded me of warhol's Marilyn and Mao prints, that's why I was thinking that.

quoting my earlier submission:
(Hey, if the new disc really IS about Edie, that may be an effective marketing approach to exploit ) ?.?.?.. *

...Intending a lot, but not saying very much, I Babylon.
But it's made me wonder some more. Why the connection, why Lilly's attraction to the sad and amazing life of Edie Sedgwick? And I think I've come up with some insights that I'm just gonna hafta post as a new essay soon. So for now I'll shut up and skedaddle again.

* re: reappearing hair, exploitative marketing This is another idea to post elsewhere, too, like under promotions. So I'm goin do that. Later.

wasabi622
09-03-2009, 11:23 PM
ok, i think someone (*coughcough* Ben *coughcough*) should take charge, set up a deadline for everyone who wants to to contribute, and then we can vote on it.

seriously, i really do want many a Alizee apparel. as in, when me and my buddies go out to eat, i usually stick with an appetizer to save money so i can spend it on Alizee material, especially with the new album coming out! LOTS OF COOL STUFF BY THEN! :D

and i say Ben cuz.. well, he knows how get things done around here! :p

Amigo!
09-04-2009, 12:24 AM
seriously, i really do want many a Alizee apparel.

Boy, :p this all sounds so familiar...

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3045&highlight=shirts

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3037&highlight=shirts

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2985&highlight=shirts

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3854&highlight=shirts

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3552&highlight=shirts

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4089&highlight=shirts

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3926&highlight=shirts

...And all this time I thought we already had a logo. :confused: I swear i've seen it somewhere on the forum. Probably on every page :D

Seriously though I think we have dragged this idea through the dirt. Beat it with a stick, then dragged it some more :blink:

Fall
09-04-2009, 12:36 AM
seriously, i really do want many a Alizee apparel. as in, when me and my buddies go out to eat, i usually stick with an appetizer to save money so i can spend it on Alizee material, especially with the new album coming out! LOTS OF COOL STUFF BY THEN! :D

and i say Ben cuz.. well, he knows how get things done around here! :p

Same! Same! :eek: Same! Plus now that I'm starting senior year, im going to make new friends to introduce Mademoiselle Lovely to, and the school is going to have us do a bunch of leadership and community stuff and im going to go all over the place: hopefully promoting Alizeé along the way!

ps. i was gonna say Miss Lovely but Mademoiselle just came to me immidately :D

wasabi622
09-04-2009, 12:42 AM

...And all this time I thought we already had a logo. :confused: I swear i've seen it somewhere on the forum. Probably on every page :D

Seriously though I think we have dragged this idea through the dirt. Beat it with a stick, then dragged it some more :blink:

good point my friend... however, there is only one flaw: i had yet to be bitten by the lilly bug at the time those votes were taken!

im here now, so lets stop dragging the idea, and freaking catapult it into the sky!

Fall
09-04-2009, 02:33 AM

:eek:
Dang and i thought we were being a little indecisive about it now, this has been discussed for years! But at least now the excitement about the new album will help us to get this thing going :)

FireCanine
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM
When are the t-shirts gunna be made??? I want to promote Alizée in my French Class!

Fall
09-13-2009, 05:26 PM
When are the t-shirts gunna be made??? I want to promote Alizée in my French Class!

So do i, this thread has been quiet for a while. I dont know if it was on this thread or not, but i remember Ben saying something was coming soon. As long as something is actually coming, im willing to wait. Cause the people making this stuff have lives to live too. Take your time guys, just dont forget about us! :)

Youpidou1
09-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Promote by T-Shirt? I just brought a CD too my French teacher and she loved it that I was into French pop and she played the CD while we took tests and after school at French club. I think if you just bring in an MP3 or a CD I am sure your teacher would be more than thrilled too play it since it's French.

wasabi622
09-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Promote by T-Shirt? I just brought a CD too my French teacher and she loved it that I was into French pop and she played the CD while we took tests and after school at French club. I think if you just bring in an MP3 or a CD I am sure your teacher would be more than thrilled too play it since it's French.

BUT I STILL WANT A T-SHIRT!

I've already brought up Alizee many many times in my french class.. but my french teacher is from ethiopia and doesn't know who she is. :(

im still gonna be nagging till we get one! :p

FireCanine
09-14-2009, 06:42 PM

but what about when you're walking outside or in a library where you can't play her music??? Then a solution is a t-shirt :)

Sir Wood
09-15-2009, 08:00 PM
BUT I STILL WANT A T-SHIRT!

I've already brought up Alizee many many times in my french class.. but my french teacher is from ethiopia and doesn't know who she is. :(

im still gonna be nagging till we get one! :p
To be honest, if you can't wait you might consider designing your own custom T-shirt. ;)

The thing is that you can't please everyone and then when you get into the pricing and distribution discussion . . . fugetaboutit. :rolleyes:

wasabi622
09-15-2009, 08:43 PM
To be honest, if you can't wait you might consider designing your own custom T-shirt. ;)

The thing is that you can't please everyone and then when you get into the pricing and distribution discussion . . . fugetaboutit. :rolleyes:

oh don't worry. im impatient, but i sure as hell am going to wait. (but im gonna keep on bugging people about it!)

'sides, i don't have the time or the resources to make my own.. or the knowledge either.

Alex
09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
oh don't worry. im impatient, but i sure as hell am going to wait. (but im gonna keep on bugging people about it!)

'sides, i don't have the time or the resources to make my own.. or the knowledge either.

lol; Everybody is eager and impatient to see the final results:) We just have to keep being patient until Ruroshen has the time and does the final touches and steps.

wasabi622
09-22-2009, 06:10 PM
soooo! has Ruroshen finished his long awaited design yet??
with the new single to be released soon, now would be epic timing! :D

JimmyDean23
09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
He hasnt been on here for days. I asked him the same question on twitter but he hasnt reponded. Where the hell is he?

wasabi622
09-29-2009, 08:54 PM
so, is the t-shirt/logo thing gonna be like her new album and keep getting pushed back??
:p

Fall
10-03-2009, 11:50 PM
idk if the absence is usual Ruroshen behavior but its been a while, and nobody says they've heard of him so far... I'm sorta worried, hope he's ok! :(

JimmyDean23
10-04-2009, 12:48 AM
He's on twitter but he wont respond when I ask where he is. I think he may be ignoring us. Just goes to show, you can never trust those Canadians.:p

wasabi622
10-04-2009, 02:57 AM
hm.. does anyone know him personally? like face to face? cuz maybe someone should check up on him? he's been gone for a while, no? im hoping it's nothing to worry about but still..

Fall
10-04-2009, 04:23 AM
maybe he's fed up with Lilly? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :confused::blink::(

ImRawdg
10-04-2009, 02:26 PM
maybe he's fed up with Lilly? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :confused::blink::(

Very possible. He seemed to be very stressed out by the logo situation too.

This is probably very wrong, but I wonder if he was caused to leave, for example via PM fight. But my primary assumption is maybe he is just bored. I know I am.

wasabi622
10-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Very possible. He seemed to be very stressed out by the logo situation too.

This is probably very wrong, but I wonder if he was caused to leave, for example via PM fight. But my primary assumption is maybe he is just bored. I know I am.

PM fight? who'd he fight with and about what???
i've always wondered why fights would occur in forums.. for most of the time, they're about something totally unrelated to the forum. :blink:

ImRawdg
10-04-2009, 05:27 PM
PM fight? who'd he fight with and about what???
i've always wondered why fights would occur in forums.. for most of the time, they're about something totally unrelated to the forum. :blink:

Well a PM fight was just an example. I'm not saying he did or anything. I really think he's probably just Alizee'd out for the time being. It happens to everyone (well, almost) and it will likely happen to you eventually.

jung_adore_ALIZEE
10-04-2009, 11:16 PM
well it appears we are here for one who you either blindly follow for years after years to no avail or you get over eventually be it quick like or it may take a matter of years, but eventually it fades

whether you are here for the long haul or are just passing through one must one day take his leave be it flamboyant or he just leaves

regards

Jung

TheBarrett
10-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Well a PM fight was just an example. I'm not saying he did or anything. I really think he's probably just Alizee'd out for the time being. It happens to everyone (well, almost) and it will likely happen to you eventually.

And all you did was point out the truth.

We outgrow everything, take it for what it is and just be happy with what you've got in the next.
The distance you stick with one particular thing varies.

I could see why he could be bored however...

JimmyDean23
10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Here's what he said on Twitter

To all from @AlizeeUSA who've asked after me: I'm OK, just taking a break from Alizée fandom for various reasons. Thanks for your concern!

Fall
10-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Here's what he said on Twitter

To all from @AlizeeUSA who've asked after me: I'm OK, just taking a break from Alizée fandom for various reasons. Thanks for your concern!

I'm glad he's ok, just wish he hadnt taken a break when we needed his help for the shirts :o:p:)

wasabi622
10-06-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm glad he's ok, just wish he hadnt taken a break when we needed his help for the shirts :o:p:)

agreed. terrible timing in my opinion. :p especially seeing as how i've been nagging away at the topic for some time now!!

user472884
10-06-2009, 03:18 AM

too much Alizée? HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA

ImRawdg
10-06-2009, 12:27 PM
too much Alizée? HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA

Actually, yes. :rolleyes:

TheBarrett
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Well, what are you going to do Rawdg.
Anything else is considered heretical by everyone else.

Fall
10-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, what are you going to do Rawdg.
Anything else is considered heretical by everyone else.

i believe we can all coexist (like that one bumpersticker) as long as we respect our differences :p and focus on each others positive qualities :)

Joonhyuk
10-06-2009, 11:33 PM

Lol, I ran out of that the first month dude. xD

Fall
10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Lol, I ran out of that the first month dude. xD

BLASPHE... uh... I mean... interesting! :p
Seriously though, I hope you still stick around :)

wasabi622
10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
um, anyways.. about them t-shirts???

if some of you have gotten over Alizee, then feel free to hang around and such! :D

but for some of us still hung over, lets get this t-shirt thingy going eh??
has ruroshen said anything to anyone in anyway yet?!

ImRawdg
10-10-2009, 11:54 AM
um, anyways.. about them t-shirts???

if some of you have gotten over Alizee, then feel free to hang around and such! :D

but for some of us still hung over, lets get this t-shirt thingy going eh??
has ruroshen said anything to anyone in anyway yet?!

He hasn't been active for about a month, but I still think if that picture is final, somebody active could certainly get it done.

wasabi622
10-11-2009, 04:08 AM
He hasn't been active for about a month, but I still think if that picture is final, somebody active could certainly get it done.

*sigh*

too many important people have been missing... to put in military terms, i feel like we're a battalion lacking in NCOs and PLs.. not too good.

jung_adore_ALIZEE
10-11-2009, 08:41 AM
^maybe it's time to promote yourself by stepping up and getting something done ;)

FireCanine
10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I just want the shirt I won from the Alizée contest :p

Ben
11-06-2009, 01:26 AM
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7131/aamlogotest10a.jpg
Anyone think they could re-create this logo in a high-res, layered, photoshop format? We need it for many things, predominantly t-shirts. I can send a vector of the "A" logo if needed. My suggestion would be to truncate its flourish to the left so as to increase the logo's symmetry. A single color for the flame would also help when printing.

JimmyDean23
11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I'll give it a shot, but I need the signature, torch, and flame in high res if possible. I've been dying to make something in photoshop lately.

Ben
11-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Here's the sig (also on the homepage if you want to try re-extracting it):

http://alizeeamerica.com/images/main-header.png

The "A" I can send as a vector via PM. I'm not sure where Ruroshen got everything else!

user472884
11-07-2009, 04:16 AM
never noticed this before, what's with the salamander?

Fall
11-07-2009, 04:21 AM
never noticed this before, what's with the salamander?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: You're kidding, of course? The tattoo on Lilly's leg/ankle? :eek:

JimmyDean23
11-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Ok, I got the torch and flame from Ruro, send me that "A" whenever you get the chance.
Also, is there a higher res pic of the salamander?

Edit: Does anyone know what the thing on top of the french flag is called?

Double Edit: here is what Ive got so far...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2773/4084157683_809675d0a0_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4084157655_9f3c8fc8ef_o.jpg

Fall
11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Edit: Does anyone know what the thing on top of the french flag is called?

It is called the fleur de lis and it is one of the many official/unofficial symbols of France, but also appears on many other coat of arms in Europe. :) I have a silver necklace with a fleur de lis on it :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis

Ben
11-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Double Edit: here is what Ive got so far...
Looking good! Btw, what I meant about truncating the "A" is something like what Ali-Latino did with their twitter background. I think it would really balance the image:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6792/checkerq.png

JimmyDean23
11-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Truncated, although I prefer it the other way. It doesn't fill the flame as well this way.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2691/4087675074_db9c521765_o.jpg

wasabi622
11-08-2009, 09:29 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4084157655_9f3c8fc8ef_o.jpg

My choice!! though, I think it looked better without the flag top thingies.

Ben
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Truncated, although I prefer it the other way. It doesn't fill the flame as well this way.
Yeah well we'd have to truncate the flame as well. Some of the early designs in this thread had that.

wasabi622
11-08-2009, 11:16 PM
in case you couldn't tell yet, i love the black background!
so please have some either a black background or black t-shirt option available!!

wasabi622
11-11-2009, 12:36 AM
so i take it that we're going to wait on the new symbol?

FireCanine
11-11-2009, 03:12 AM
come on! French Class is going to end soon for me and I never got to promote Alizée in t-shirt form!

Chuck
11-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Hi Wasab! Good question!

JimmyDean, you're doing awesome work, I just wanna say. Ten thumbs up! Ben, too. (Please don't go Ruro on us, either o' yall ) ;)

A bit ago, I'd said they were gonna change that "A" thing, and we might want to take that into account. But now I'm backtracking. I'm NOT saying "told-you-so", rather, I vote for this:

DON'T change the "A" (any more than necessary), DON'T wait to see Lilly's new logo. It's a beautiful design, so it should go to print. Then the shirts'll sell out, and then we can worry about the next edition after that.

I mean, no matter what comes next, that swirly, art-nouveau-nouveau Psych "A" logo is always going to be as strongly emblematic for Alizée as anything ever was. So waiting, to me, is nothing but waiting.

Which we're all very good at, true, but...

FIRECANINE'S CLASS IS ENDING. Doesn't that make you want to get moving here?

OH YEAH! (plug plug) TOMORROW'S EVERYONE'S LAST DAY TO SUBMIT A SIGNATURE!!!!!! :eek:

FireCanine
11-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Less is more

Ben
11-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Yeah send your latest version JimmyDean, with the vectorized "A" and truncated flame if possible. I want to get the shirts out ASAP too, maybe even quicker now before the new logo hits. The only problem is I won't send anything without testing it myself first for quality. The last two iterations didn't cut it, and every change means about another week, not to mention about $20, turnaround to print samples.

wasabi622
11-11-2009, 10:03 AM
hey man, im fine with any of the "A"s!!

Lets just get them t-shirts out and in the open!
Then.. then I can proudly wear that shirt and scream "YES WORLD! I AM AN ALIZEE FAN!"

JimmyDean23
11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
O crap, I totally forgot about this for the past couple days what with MW2 coming out. I'll get the design finalized as soon as I get home tonight.

Edit: Here they are! Trunc'd and non trunc'd in black and white.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/4097094184_d70df52f68_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4096335401_dde8348098_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2559/4097094142_167206f53d_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2487/4096335375_977755b88b_o.jpg