PDA

View Full Version : Got 200 Francs? Moi...Lolita

edgar93
08-08-2009, 03:37 AM
RondasX and some other pals from Alizee-Latino have been working on this for the past couple weeks. It's actually a HUGE find, at least it was for me. I don't know if it's been posted before. When I read it I instantly thought about translating and posting it over here. RondasX gave me the permission to do so. Thanks to Julien and Paloma who also worked on the translation and investigated about the places mentioned in this writtings.

So this are Boutonnat Chronicles, which were actually written by an old friend of Boutonnat. And this what I've translated so far as for Moi Lolita's part, enjoy:

Moi...Lolita.

When I dream of Wolves it's Lola who bleeds.

It's the first in 8 years that Laurent Boutonnat has the task of putting Images and History into a Mylene Farmer song. After having composed the music of Moi Lolita and left the responsibility of writting the lyrics to Mylene Farmer, Laurent Boutonnat films the long-awaited video. Though he gets back to 35mm film -as it used to be in his golden era-, he no longer works with his old crew of friends, such as Carine Sarfati working on the costumes, or Jean-Pierre Sauvaire on the ilumination. Sauvaire will be replaced by Philippe Pavans. Hiden by the biggest secret in late June, after a large preparation, comes to the light, The video is aired for the first time on Wednesday July 26th, 2000. Laurent Boutonnat, whom used to include proffesional actors (Zouc, Louise Fletcher, Frederic Lagache) on his videos, this time he hired amateur actors such as Jerome Devoise, who plays the role of the boy in love, or Liliana, Alizée's sister in the video. The Only one used to the sets is Anne-Marie Pisarini , who plays the role of Lolita's mother. The filming was made in 2 days. The first day of filming took place outdoor for the scenes of big barley fields, the road, and the the patio at the mother's house. Laurent Boutonnat recorded this scenes in the outskirts of Senlis, in Oise. The second day of filming had to be done for the filming at the Parisian disco "Bains-Douches (http://www.lesbainsdouches.net/)", where almost 100 stunts were hired.

This clip is really diffent to what Laurent Boutonnat made for Mylene Farmer 8 years ago. What is an unusual change is that this as well is really different to those he made for Nathalie Cardone (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathalie_Cardone) a long time ago... For Nathalie he had got back to the extravaganza mise en scene (Hasta Siempre (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwTBCvb_4zo) - 1997), or what is based on the laconic that focused on a certain image of the singer (Populaire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULfbIH6b2U)-1998,or "el cielo nublado of My Angel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twAJCWbLsAI)-1999). Nowadays Laurent Boutonnat seems to be able to tell stories from our time, to stay away from the war, old century or timeless tales. This time Laurent Boutonnat actually recorded the panoramic clips again, but also got rid of the environment and the universe to focus in the esthetic of his new heroin. Misanthropy is certainly always there in his works and the hardness of the characters against each other. Rationable characters- without loving each other- they appreciate each other, like the mother and her daughter, Lolita and the boy in love... What is important to him is the opion they'll have about lolita... and consequently Alizée's. That's why it's right to think this clip is, maybe, the first one of many, most likely a coherent one, with its own symbols (strange ones, though), which will certainly make us follow... Alizee's adventures... After the first release splitted in 2 episodes, where he names his heroin the adjective "libertine". Laurent Boutonnat could make Lolita a new appealing heroin.
To be continued in the next episode?

In the countryside, a man of about 30 years old runs behing a 15 year old young girl. She stops. The man is angry, noticeable amazed by the young Lolita. He declared his passion to Lolita and wants to know if she likes him. The glances are soft, the declaration is truthful. Lolita's reply is "Got 200 francs?" Thanks, you'll get it back". In this introduction of the clip, Laurent Boutonnat just introduced the Lolita role. One sentence is enough to get to know who's been created. The rest of the film is nothing but a long confirmation. The 200 francs in the pocket, Lolita gets back home, without even looking at the boy in love. He would stay on the road, waiting for a response from the girl he is in love with. Is she a prostitute? Did she make him believe in a possible relationship? Lolita is simply a girl that is nice to look at, and for whom you'll do anything. You can recognize Laurent Boutonnat's language when she gets to her house. i.e The slight panning he uses to introduce a place that reminds us of a place like Giorgino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgino)'s orphanage (1994) or places like the cuban house from Hasta Siempre (1997). She finds her mother washing clothes and her 6 year old little sister sitting on the stairs at her house (just like the "pollita" in Giorgino's orphanage). The mother approaches to Lolita to violently insult her, remind her about her behavior and delay. Lolita takes her sister with her, she changes her clothes and goes through the barley fields with her. They get into the bus which will take them to the city. The man tries to run, but he doesn't make it to the bus because it leaves. He only looks at the young girl fade away in the bus through the rear windows.

That same night, she's at a disco where- in the middle of young girls with too much make up and very few clothes- she dances without hiding the fact that she is the youngest of them all. Slowly, everyone is looking at her. Wether she dances in the middle of the dancefloor or putting makeup on in the bathroom, men and women get hooked up by her charm. Wearing her short dress, there's nothing else to do than love her. Lolita asked her sister to sit on a stool from the bar, where she looked at her old sister become a phenomenon. The guy from the countryside followed her.

That same night, she's at a disco where- in the middle of young girls with too much make up and very few clothes- she dances without hiding the fact that she is the youngest of them all. Slowly, everyone is looking at her. Wether she dances in the middle of the dancefloor or putting makeup on in the bathroom, men and women get hooked up by her charm. Wearing her short dress, there's nothing else to do than love her. Lolita asked her sister to sit on a stool from the bar, where she looked at her old sister become a phenomenon. The guy from the countryside followed her.

He's there. He just got into the disco where he watches the catchy Lolita who dances among people 10 years older than she is. Lolita does not really care about them, what seems to be her main priority is the number of sighs she attracts, and not her identity. The little sister now starts to dance over the stool, while Lolita watches her from the dancefloor. The 2 sisters will eventually go back home in the morning, holding each other's hand, walking on a rural road. The little sister will tell her old sister: "- I'm a bit tired". There's no reply. They walk away, the man in love is still there, following Lolita, and probably will follow her for much longer...

Besides the camera spannings and the pictures that remind us of Giorgino, one could easily go farther making a comparision between the video and the song. First of all, the lyrics can create a certain paranoia, which reminds us of Catherine "It's not my fault". Some phrases can also be extended to autism, which she was victim of. "And when I give my tongue to the cats I see the others All set to throw themselves on me". It's also Lolita who "dreams of wolves", which was what everyone had a problem with, with Catherine; who had dreamt of wolves during the drowning of the orphans. As for the beginning of the song, playing a violin, reminds us of the soundtrack of Giorgino at the end.

At the beginning of the clip, in its mise en scene, it resembles a scene of Giorgino, which was the very first appearance of Mylene Farmer in the movie... This scene we are talking about is the one where Giorgio just got out of the refuge, goes across town's place and takes Catherines' arm, who was running away. She turns around and asks him for her money... In Moi Lolita, it's her who asks the Young man for the same thing.

Rev
08-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Wow! I've never seen this before.

I'm very much looking forward to part 2. :)

Roman
08-09-2009, 08:42 AM
What the... ? Well, I assume the original is in French; so... thanks for doing this and can you point me to the original too?

Ben
08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Cool, thanks Edgar! Some of the comparisons do kinda require familiarity with Laurent's film, "Giorgino", though (Catherine is Mylene Farmer's character - an autistic woman whom the protagonist falls in love with). The original English language version of the movie has recently been released on DVD if anyone's interested: http://www.amazon.fr/Giorgino-collector-DVD-DAHLGREN-JEFF/dp/B000X3BBFW/

edgar93
08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
What the... ? Well, I assume the original is in French; so... thanks for doing this and can you point me to the original too?

I'd love to Roman, since you could provide us with a more accurate translation (this one was French-Spanish-English :S), but I don't know the source of this writtings. There are many more coming anyways :).

Raptor12
08-09-2009, 05:58 PM

http://jodel.saint-marc.club.fr/moilolita.htm

edgar93
08-09-2009, 06:51 PM

dude! Thank you so much!

yeah, see the title of that website? The guy that wrote that called it an autopsy, since it had a lot of info about Boutonnat.

Srbski-kralj
08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for that edgar93 lots of usefull info btw u still packing or u already in Mexico?

Roman
08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
dude! Thank you so much!

yeah, see the title of that website? The guy that wrote that called it an autopsy, since it had a lot of info about Boutonnat.
oh dang, while looking for it I think I saw that site, but didn't think it was the right one. Cool, they even have scans of the sheet music.

TheBarrett
08-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for that edgar93 lots of usefull info btw u still packing or u already in Mexico?

I don't think he's not outside of Mexico at this moment in time. :p

Mai
08-10-2009, 01:40 AM
this things are from alizee-latino...Merci Edgar

edgar93
08-10-2009, 06:15 PM
this things are from alizee-latino...Merci Edgar

No, this is not from Alizee-Latino. This comes from the site Raptor12 posted, which is a public site, it can be visited by anyone.

The spanish translation which I had permission to translate IS from Alizée-Latino, RondasX gave me the permission to translate it.

:rolleyes:

I'm already in Mexico Srb, I wouldn't have the time to do this if I were packing up :p

Mai
08-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Some Anybody Can Erase This Link...Is An Exclusive from Alizée-latino

( RondasX , Rudy , Paloma and Julien , investigation and translation)

This isnt Fair for all those persons who investigate this topic, isnt just the plagiarism.

Please Check this.

No, this is not from Alizee-Latino. This comes from the site Raptor12 posted, which is a public site, it can be visited by anyone.

The spanish translation which I had permission to translate IS from Alizée-Latino, RondasX gave me the permission to translate it.

:rolleyes:

I'm already in Mexico Srb, I wouldn't have the time to do this if I were packing up :p

Yes , But The investigation of this link and all this stuff start in alizee latino right?...i know...who translate this in to spanish..and who helps rondasX and Who Find the link...(before Raptor...right? )

Ben
08-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Mai, that site has been known for many years. Here I post about it back in 2005:
http://www.alizee-forum.com/showthread.php?p=269827

And more in 2006: http://www.alizee-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16683

Besides, Edgar said he got RondasX's permission to share it, and even thanked Alizée Latino for the Spanish translation.
We're all friends, so I don't see why there would be a problem? :confused:

edgar93
08-11-2009, 02:27 AM
:confused:

Mai, that site has been known for many years. Here I post about it back in 2005:
http://www.alizee-forum.com/showthread.php?p=269827

And more in 2006: http://www.alizee-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16683

Ben don't tell me we already had a translation for this :S ?

Ben
08-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Ben don't tell me we already had a translation for this :S ?
I don't think so, though I do remember discussing the site on mf-international.com when I first became a fan back in 2004.

Roman
08-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Give credit where credit is due: site the original source and quit trying to pretend that any Alizée fan site had anything to do with that. I know much of the motivation for people to be around is self-engrandisment and I don't really have a problem with that until it starts tearing down the community instead of building it up.

Besides, think about it... most of us hear don't read Spanish and thus have no idea what's going on at those Mexican sites until someone like Edgar or Rehochipe informs us. We have had several people from Mexico come and share with us here. Lacking that sharing, we have no connection with them. And yeah, permission was given anyway.

No big deal. I have other things to occupy my attention. Just my opinion on matters such as this. I only bother I guess because the issue has come up on a number of occasions.

Mai
08-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I only said thats RondasX said to me...because he doesn´t have PC at the moment...so...thanks 4 the answers...:blink:

Ben
08-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Ok Mai, that's cool. Maybe RondasX could come by when he's back online and explain, because I really can't understand the problem?

(Oh and happy birthday by the way! :))

Roman
08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Seems like this kind of thing should be cataloged somewhere. I know that at Alizée-Forum much has been posted in the resources section (as opposed to the sea of thread posts) including translations of songs and various articles.
In any case, thanks also to Ben for the pointers to the past discussions. This stuff never dies eh?

edgar93
08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Seems like this kind of thing should be cataloged somewhere. I know that at Alizée-Forum much has been posted in the resources section (as opposed to the sea of thread posts) including translations of songs and various articles.
In any case, thanks also to Ben for the pointers to the past discussions. This stuff never dies eh?

You mean like a gallery? I'd love to have one too, but I guess AAm is very busy these days, hopefully it will happen later :)

Gh0sT
08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
It was interesting reading this. Many thanks to whoever found it and translated it.

I wonder if we have translations of the other 4 articles about MCE. This is the main page - http://jodel.saint-marc.club.fr/pas20ans.htm. Anyone know?

Roman
08-13-2009, 09:31 AM
It should say Lolita with the boy in love. It's funny how at one point the author writes, Lolita avec je garçon amoureux instead of le garçon. Freudian slip? :p je means I, le means the
And check out the songs of Nathalie Cardone that are mentioned. Familiar imagery. One gets the impression that much of the powerful imagery that is special in the performances of these women comes from Boutonnat. So, his M.O. - find beautiful female singers and bring out their beauty and power to move the soul (amongst other things)? Seems like it. Seems like a nice job. :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkNCUifgfQw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULfbIH6b2U

Roman
09-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Here is my translation of that page. I will attach the original in a zip file since it appears that web site is now gone.

Moi... Lolita
Quand je rêve aux loups, c'est Lola qui saigne ( When I dream of the wolves, it's Lola who bleeds )

"Got 200 francs?"

It's the first time in eight years that Laurent Boutonnat has had the mission to attach images and a story to a text from Mylène Farmer. After having composed the music for Moi... Lolita and left it to her to write the lyrics, Laurent Boutonnat produces (rather belatedly) this eagerly awaited video. Though he shoots, as in his heyday, on 32mm film, he no longer works with the same band of friends, such as Carine SARFATI for the costumes or Jean-Pierre SAUVAIRE for lighting. The latter will be replaced by Philippe PAVANS. Working on the biggest secret at the end of June, after a long preparation, the film is distributed for the first time Wednesday the 26th of July 2000. Laurent Boutonnat, who frequently had the habit of using professional actors (Zouc, Louise FLETCHER, Frederic LAGACHE) engaged here semi-amateur actors like Jérôme DEVOISE, who plays the role of the boy in love or Liliana, the sister of Alizée in the film. Only Anne-Marie PISARINI, who takes on the role of Lolita's mother is accustomed to the stage. The filming took place during two days. The first day of filming was outside for the photo shoots of the big barley fields, the road, and the court-yard of the mother's house. Laurent Boutonnat went to film these scenes in the vicinity of Senlis, in the Oise. The second day of shooting was necessary for the shots in the Parisian discotech of Bains-Douches where like a hundred extras were engaged.

This video is of course far from that which Laurent Boutonnat produced for Mylène Farmer eight years ago. What's strange, on the other hand, is that it's also far from what he did for Nathalie Cardone not yet so long ago... For her, he had both revived his performances of grand spectacle (Hasta Siempre-1997 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkNCUifgfQw ) and been given to a terseness that essentially played on a certain image of the singer (the milk of Populaire-1998 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULfbIH6b2U or the cloudy sky of Mon Ange-1999 ). Laurent BOUTONNAT seems to be capable, today, to tell the stories of our age, to move away from the battle fields, the receding centuries or the timeless stories. [I agree. From what little I have seen, I consider Boutonnat to be a very important mark on the French culture.] This time, Laurent Boutonnat certainly got back to story telling videos, but he let go of the ambiance, the universe, the themes in order to concentrate on the esthetic of his new heroine. Certainly, the misanthropy inherent in his work and the hardness of the characters toward each other are always present. The characters are sensible, if not loving or appreciative of each other, such as the mother and her daughter, Lolita with the boy in love. [note: le garçon] What seems to be important to him is the opinion one will have toward Lolita... and by extension, Alizée. Because of that, we are entitled to believe that this video is perhaps the first in a series, coherent, with its own symboles (though rare) that will make us follow, sort of, the adventures of Alizée. After an initial two-episode saga in which the name given to his heroine was the adjective "libertine", Laurent Boutonnat could make a new recurring heroine of Lolita. The continuation in the next episode? [Well, it did sort of continue with Parler Tout Bas anyway.]

In the open countryside, a man in his thirties [uh, don't think so] runs after a young girl of fifteen. She stops. The man is embarrassed, visibly strongly affected by the young Lolita. He declares his burning flame for her and he just wants to know if she loves him. His regard is tender, the declaration sincere. The response of Lolita is this: "you got 200 francs? Thanks, I'll pay you back." In this introduction to the video, LB has presented to us the character of Lolita. In one sentence we know who we are dealing with. [note: "à faire" should be "affaire".] The rest of the film will be naught but a long confirmation. The 200 francs in pocket, Lolita returns home, without a glance toward the boy in love. He will remain on the road, awaiting a new sign of life from the minor with whom he has fallen in love. Is she prostituting herself? Has she allowed him to believe in a possible love? Lolita is simply a girl that one enjoys watching, and to whom one would give everything. [and Alizée took on that characteristic truely enough] On will recognize, at her arrival in the courtyard of the house, the vocabulary of LB. The slight lateral tracking shot that he uses to introduce a place is reminiscent of those of the Giorgino (1994) orphanage or the Cuban home of Hasta Siempre [goodbye forever?] (1997). Her mother is washing the clothes and her little sister of six is sitting on the steps of the house (like "poulette" [chick] in the Giorgino hostel). The mother advances toward Lolita to insult her and make violent reprimand regarding her dress and tardiness. Lolita takes her sister, changes clothes and leaves through the fields with her. They meet the bus that will take them into town. The man will have to really run, he will not reach it before its departure. He will only be able to see the young girl leave on her bus, through the back windows.

That same night, she is in a discotech where, in the midst of scantily clad girls with make-up, she's dancing without hiding the fact of being the youngest in the place. Little by little, all eyes turn toward her. Whether dancing in the middle of the dance floor or reapplying make-up in the restroom, as many men as women fall for her charms. In her thin little dress, one can do nothing but love her. Lolita sets her little sister on a bar stool where she watches her big sister become a phenomenon. The guy from the country followed her.

He is there. He just entered the discotech where he watches dumbfounded as Lolita dances amongst people ten years older than she. Lolita pays no attention to that, the main thing for her seems to be the number of looks she attracts, not their identities. The little sister is now also dancing on her stool while watching Lolita on the dance floor. Finally, we see the two sisters return early in the morning, hand in hand, on a country road. This little one is the only object of her attention. The little one will just say, to her sister: "I'm a bit tired." No response. They are heading off together in the distance, the guy in love is still there behind her, following Lolita and will probably follow her for a long time.

Besides the camera movements and images reminiscient of Giorgino, one can easily carry the analogy much further, having the comparison between this title and the film in one's sights. First of all, the lyrics can not but recreate a certain paranoia that reminds us of that of Catherine: "It's not my fault". On can also hear certain autistic phrases to which she was victim: "When I give my tongue to the cat, they are all ready to throw themselves upon me". It's also Lolita who "dreams of wolves", while this is precisely what Catherine was reproched for; who had dreamed of wolves while the orphans were drowned. As for the into to this song, with the violin, it recalls the theme of the original soundtrack for Giorgino that played over and over. At the very beginning of the video, moreover, one is witness to a scene symbolizing, in its presentation to the public and in its production, a sequence from Giorgino, which corresponds to the veritable first appearance of Mylène Farmer in the film... We are evoking here the scene where Giorgino has just left the orphanage, crosses the village square and grabs Catherine, who is fleeing, by the arm. She turns then to ask him to request repayment... In Lolita, it is she who asks of the young man the same thing.

Criss_pl
09-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Big, really big THANKS to you for that translation:) Great job:)
It has very interesting references.
Once more, THANK you!

User22
12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
i finally got the full jist of what was happening btw alizee and the man....thx for the explanation:)