PDA

View Full Version : Pardon my French, but #!&*%@$ !!!!!!!!!!!!

user472884
08-23-2009, 03:28 AM
My awesome aunt and uncle gave me this book yesterday for my b-day titled

MERDE!
The Real French You Were Never Taught At School

Now, the book is not solely about jurons; it also contains many slang words that are used in common French. I haven't had the time to fully read through yet, but here are a few of my favorites (of course the naughty vocabulary) I've found while skimming. *Children, look away!

Nice, Friendly - sympa (rather than "sympathique")
You bunch of - bande de
A midget - un nabot
Mannish (adj for women) - hommasse
a chick : his broad : his old lady - une gonzesse** : sa poule** : sa bergére
a male chauvinist pig - un pantouflard
a guy who likes to go pick up women (the bar scene) - un dragueur
obsessed - obsédé(e) (hmm, I wonder if there's a group of people or me I can use this on)
to sweet-talk - baratiner
lol, to dip one's wick/to get it wet - tremper son biscuit*
a "back street abortionist" - une faiseuse d'ange** (did anybody else think of Borat?)
the damage/bill - la douleureuse (the painful one)
a boozer - un picoleur*
to blow (money, mind you) - claquer

As I do not fully know the rules of these forums regarding profanity, I'll refrain from posting more traditional swear words (f', sh', etc), certain body parts/features, and such. If I get the O.K., I'll gladly add some.

I can't quite tell you whether or not this book will greatly improve your French skills enough to run out and get a copy, but I find it worth it if you want some good laughs. Plus at a base price of $10 (mine was on clearance) it won't break the bank. This book has a lot more than a list of the random words I pulled out. It is separated into chapters (The Musts, Parties, Sex Matters) which in each there is a long list of vocabulary relating to the chapter, various phrases/sentences/expressions, and even a quiz at the end!

~If this thread violates any rules or is just plain too offensive, don't hesitate to remove/close it.

wasabi622
08-23-2009, 03:31 AM
sort off topic.. but i never understood why people would say "pardon my french.. but *****"

what's that supposed to mean?! what does french have to do with the phrase that follows? :blink:

Fyrel
08-23-2009, 06:36 AM
sort off topic.. but i never understood why people would say "pardon my french.. but *****"

what's that supposed to mean?! what does french have to do with the phrase that follows? :blink:

I think he's just having a play on words.

Anyhow, I look forward to hearing about your results with this book.:cool:

Toc De Mac
08-23-2009, 09:36 AM
a male chauvinist pig - un pantouflard

I've always known un pantouflard to be a couch potato... :confused:

Karlalizee
08-23-2009, 10:01 AM
*covers my little innocent eyes* lol :p

CFHollister
08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I've temporarily hidden this thread for now. Personally I like swearing, especially in other languages and find this a valuable aspect of learning to communicate fully in another language. But some people can be rather sensitive to it, and if one of those people were Alizee herself if/when she stopped by our community... well then that might be a particular problem.

Get back to you on this ASAP pending a more permanent decision. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Karlalizee
08-23-2009, 04:44 PM
what if alizee swears in her private life? there are many celebs who would not dream of swearing when meeting the public or when a microphone is in thier face. then there are many who do not care what the public hears from their mouth. in those cases, their fans are thrilled when that happens.

BlackAnthem
08-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Not impossible but she is such a public figure I don't think she would want to spoil her image. I mean she has a lot of children fans so....

Ben
08-23-2009, 09:04 PM
As I do not fully know the rules of these forums regarding profanity, I'll refrain from posting more traditional swear words (f', sh', etc), certain body parts/features, and such.
Stick to that, and some reasonable discretion, and I think we'll be fine.
Edit: I removed a couple of the more risqué ones. ;)

user472884
08-23-2009, 09:38 PM
I've temporarily hidden this thread for now. Personally I like swearing, especially in other languages and find this a valuable aspect of learning to communicate fully in another language. But some people can be rather sensitive to it, and if one of those people were Alizee herself if/when she stopped by our community... well then that might be a particular problem.

Get back to you on this ASAP pending a more permanent decision. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Absolutely, I understand completely.

I've always known un pantouflard to be a couch potato... :confused:

You may be right, I have no authority on the accuracy of this book.

I'm just slightly weary of fully trusting this book for example, it lists that "un type" could be used in place of "un homme".

----
Also the book is written by somebody named "Geneviéve", which on the back of the books says born and lives in Switzerland, so yea

Fall
08-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Also the book is written by somebody named "Geneviéve", which on the back of the books says born and lives in Switzerland, so yea

They actually speak several languages in Switzerland. (mostly German then French and a little Italian) They have their own sort of dialect of these languages because the country is surrounded by the countries that speak them. My aunt told me she felt lost when she went to Switzerland because everybody was speaking a bunch of different languages. But tourism may have something to do with that, seeing as how she was a tourist from Spain

But dont take my word for it, ask Roger Federer :)

Toc De Mac
08-24-2009, 08:09 AM
You may be right, I have no authority on the accuracy of this book.

I'm just slightly weary of fully trusting this book for example, it lists that "un type" could be used in place of "un homme".

I know that is right... un type is like "a dude." :)

fsquared
08-24-2009, 09:54 PM

It appears to have its origins in the historical rivalry between the English and the French; in this case, covering up the use of a vulgar word under the pretense of it being a "French" word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_my_French

wasabi622
08-24-2009, 11:33 PM
It appears to have its origins in the historical rivalry between the English and the French; in this case, covering up the use of a vulgar word under the pretense of it being a "French" word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_my_French

hehehee, i wonder if in french, there is a similar saying "pardon my english but..."??

VVVACCPLPNLY
02-20-2010, 03:35 AM
I find things like this necessary to learn. If not for usage, but for avoidance thereof. Say you hear someone say a random phrase, and ask another French/English speaker what it means, and they are offended? Some of these phrases you can learn through subtitling, but they are usually less risque in their second language.

Deepwaters
02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
what if alizee swears in her private life?

She has certainly been known to use rather rude hand signals when provoked.

She's 25 years old and a celebrity. I don't think it's likely that she's easily offended by bad language. ;)