PDA

View Full Version : Lili.. her nickname

Matrix
10-08-2006, 12:01 PM
If you watch the Fun TV interview, she pronounces her nickname very clearly.. of course we Americans pronounce it differently, but she said it like this... WEEDISH or WEEDEE

I think her nickname means "small weed" .. aFrenchie help me out here. Did they give her that name.. Lilli ... because she is so small?

It was the Fun TV interview part 1 at 7:50 into video

brad
10-08-2006, 12:05 PM
weedish? lol

i dont remember her pronouncing it like that at all?

RMJ
10-08-2006, 01:14 PM
It's Lili. Or as she pronounces it in FunTV, more like Lilih.

And it comes from Alizée.

Just like common nickname for Elizabeth is Lili.

riva2model64
10-08-2006, 01:44 PM
maybe it just me,
but i heard her say "lee-lee"

Matrix
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Not in our country USA.. short for Elizabeth is Liz, but in Finland short for Elizabeth is Lili.. hmmm. Don't tell me her nickname came from Alizee.. the li...no there is a meaning behind her nickname Lili... aFrenchie where are you?? or snatcher42

Lol.. funny how everybody hears different things. Like whispering into the ear of one person and having the message sent to thirty other people, final person gets a completely different message.

She does say Topaz clearly, like we Americans would expect it to be heard. The name of her dog, Topaz

Spartan500
10-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Lol.. funny how everybody hears different things. Like whispering into the ear of one person and having the message sent to thirty other people, final person gets a completely different message.

lol i know wut your talkin about because i just watched it and to me it sounded like she said weli lol

aFrenchie
10-08-2006, 03:02 PM
aFrenchie help me out here. Did they give her that name.. Lilli ... because she is so small?
What RMJ said above. It's pronounced "Lee-Lee" and I think it comes from Alizée.
And "lili" in French would have no connection with small ("petite")

She does say Topaz clearly, like we Americans would expect it to be heard. The name of her dog, Topaz
I'm pretty sure her dog must spell "a la French" though: Topaze (but the "e" is mute)

Spartan500
10-08-2006, 03:15 PM
thanks afrenchie that should clear stuff up for matrix

RMJ
10-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Not in our country USA.. short for Elizabeth is Liz, but in Finland short for Elizabeth is Lili.. hmmm. Don't tell me her nickname came from Alizee.. the li...no there is a meaning behind her nickname Lili... aFrenchie where are you?? or snatcher42
No, in Finland we don't even have name Elizabeth. Lili is German nickname for German Elizabeth. Of course Liz is used, too, but also Lili.

And I'm quite sure that Lili comes from Alizée. Or to be exact from Ali, which she is also called.

Second guess would be from her middle name. But since that's not known and the first name is very good source for the nickname, I'd go for the first name.

Actually, it's Topaze.

edit:
Lol... looks like aFrenchie already answered. I had this message waiting like hour or two because forgot to press the send button. :P

brad
10-08-2006, 03:42 PM
And I'm quite sure that Lili comes from Alizée.

I agree ..

For no other reason than 'Alizée' would be a hard name for a little kid to say. I wouldn't be suprised if she came up with it herself when she was just learning how to talk.

Ben
10-08-2006, 05:27 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046000/

No, I'm not saying there's a connection, though... maybe...

The most famous song in the movie is "Hi Lili, Hi Lo" (nickname for Lolita).:eek:

RMJ
10-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I doubt her parents (?) thought her as a Lolita when they gave the nickname. :)

The poster is lovely btw...

Fall in love
all over again
with Lili

That's what we do all the time !

brad
10-08-2006, 06:35 PM
this is like something from the Twilight Zone .. lol

Matrix
10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I watched the video again for five times and again.. she pronounced her nickname Weedee, she is not saying Lee Lee as we would hear it in english.

When french say love in english.. do they say.. Wove? Do French have a hard time pronouncing their.. L's

Nobody knows how she got her nickname, interesting. Or even if she has a middle name or what that might be if she has one.

aFrenchie
10-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I watched the video again for five times and again.. she pronounced her nickname Weedee, she is not saying Lee Lee as we would hear it in english.
Ok, I've listened at 7:50 like you said and at first I heared her reply like "wee-lee" indeed! (but not "wee-dee")
I've tried again with the sound louder, and I really heared "lee-lee" this time. I'd say it's a matter of sound quality of the flv (so it's all Brad's fault :D :D). Try again with the volume higher!

brad
10-08-2006, 08:37 PM

When french say love in english.. do they say.. Wove? Do French have a hard time pronouncing their.. L's

Nobody knows how she got her nickname, interesting. Or even if she has a middle name or what that might be if she has one.

i clearly hear her saying 'Lee Lee' ... I think you have it in your head a certain way and it sounds like that to you.

and her nickname certainly comes from 'Alizee' .. i don't think there is any disputing that.

Matrix
10-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Man, Alizee could clear all this up if she only would come on here and put us all in our place! :)

Alizee could clear so much confusion up.. just POST Alizee.... P O S T!

You know what.. even if she posted.. most would doubt it was really her, lol

Okay i heard Lee Lee this time..after turning the volume up to max.. they talk so damn fast.. slow down Alizee!!!

Matrix
10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Okay aFrenchie since we talking about sounds....

Alot of times I hear Alizee say... Oui....Ouiit or weet...Ouish- 8:52 part I Fun TV...or weesh

Is that like us Americans saying.... yes...yeah..or yep ? So there is french slang for Oui

brad
10-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Alot of times I hear Alizee say... Oui....Ouiit or weet...Ouish- 8:52 part I Fun TV...or weesh

I have no idea what it means .. but i like it when she ads the 'sh' sound .. extra cute (if that is possible)..

Also, while I am posting .. even though I know that 'Lili' is pronounced 'lee lee' .. i still say 'Lilly' in my head when I read it. I felt I had to get that off my chest .. lol

rcs
10-09-2006, 03:59 AM
Okay then, Lee lee it is. Learned something new.

illuminatys
10-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Okay aFrenchie since we talking about sounds....

Is that like us Americans saying.... yes...yeah..or yep ? So there is french slang for Oui
Yes!It does mean da yes ye yap yep on your english!
Hello peoples!Yahooo!I am from KBR Nalchik Russia!How are you?I am fine!
For 8 days I learned 400 frenches words!It is so cool language as and your!But there just the words another but the rules of constructin sentences are same!You must know French!

Fisherman
10-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi illuminatys! Welcome to Alizée America!

aFrenchie
10-09-2006, 08:37 AM

You could say that, but the real equivalent of yeah or yep is "ouais", pronounced a bit like you say "way".
I'm not sure I could easily find an example in Alizée's interviews because she seems to rather say "oui" all the time, maybe just because she knows she's filmed. I'll have to pay attention to this each time I'll listen to an interview. And if not her, maybe at least a TV host will say it that way (no pun).

neoteny
10-09-2006, 09:30 AM
dont gild the lil' lili!

Matrix
10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
You could say that, but the real equivalent of yeah or yep is "ouais", pronounced a bit like you say "way".

Ah.. merci... you know I did hear a little french girl in an interview say "way" in one of those Alizee videos. ouais

maareek
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure I could easily find an example in Alizée's interviews because she seems to rather say "oui" all the time, maybe just because she knows she's filmed. I'll have to pay attention to this each time I'll listen to an interview. And if not her, maybe at least a TV host will say it that way (no pun).

I'm pretty sure Jeremy said ouais several times in that most recent interview, unless he was just slurring oui really badly. I don't recall ever hearing Alizee use it, either, though.

General Patton
10-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Lili...hm...thanks for clearing everything up frenchie what would we do without you?

atra201
10-13-2006, 06:41 PM
yeah i would think that lili comes from alizee

Norah
10-16-2006, 10:55 PM
my nickname is nony <<<<< who cares!! :P.....hehe

atra201
10-17-2006, 09:58 PM
my nickname is nony <<<<< who cares!! :P.....hehe

lol :)
cool nickname i got none

Luc