PDA

View Full Version : Afraid I am getting too feminized by Alizee

Matrix
10-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I watch so many of her videos and also learning the french language by watching the videos that I'm afraid I would probably sound girlish if I was in France asking for directions or help.

Being a guy.. is there anyone here who could give us some "tough" fench talk or words to say in france if we were there so us guys dont sound feminine.

For example a french translation for:

1. yo man whats up?
2. Alizee.. you go girl
3. Alizee you gotta smokin asss
4. hows it goin
5. Alizee she is the bomb
5. Sweet
6. Hey bro or bra
7. chill out
8. thats cool
9. my bad
10. fuck you..lol

A male tough french translation would be appreciated.. merci in advance :)

aFrenchie
10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
You'd need someone who masters both English and French, because I never heard half of your phrases! I can't translate English slang if I don't even know what they mean / when they're used, etc...

Also, if you were to come to France, that would sound weird that you're still very low with the language and already trying to use some slang words/phrases! That could even sound bad because that would mean you've learned 'bad' expressions before anything else!

You sure wouldn't sound girlish because you don't master the language. Just like someone who's not at ease with it...

Anyway, those I can try:
1. yo man whats up?
Salut mec, quoi de neuf ?

4. hows it goin
Comment va ?

5. Alizee she is the bomb
Alizée, elle est canon

5. Sweet
Super (?)

8. thats cool
C'est super

9. my bad
C'est ma faute

10. fuck you..lol
Va te faire foutre..mdr (mdr = mort de rire = dead laughing)

garçoncanadien
10-09-2006, 03:06 PM
ben est-ce que l'on peut dire "mdr" en français? I don't think Matrix really intends on saying lol in his daily conversations ;)

2. you go girl approximately equals "tu es BCBG (bon chic bon genre)"
3. smokin asss = beau cul (never ever say this until you are verrrrry familiar with someone :) )
6. probably use "salut mec" for that like aFrenchie said
7. chill out approximately equals "ne t'en fais pas"
8. Ça déchire (if you wanted to be Parisien about it :) right aFrenchie?)

I vote with aFrenchie in saying that anybody who is just learning French should not use these expressions right away!

How would you react if somebody who just emigrated from France with 2 years of English experience, only in school, greeted you by "Yo yo wuzzup my homie G?" :)

maareek
10-09-2006, 03:24 PM
As long as you aren't referring to yourself in the feminine you should be alright I'd think since imo a lot of the "femininity" Americans tend to give to the sound of the French language is the way it sorta flows melodically, which doesn't sound feminine to a native speaker at all. Just focus on learning how to speak the language first, you can worry about learning slang when (if) you get to France.

garçoncanadien
10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Referring to oneself in the feminine in spoken French? The majority of the time (70%), this difference is only perceptible in the written language. You can't hear the difference between J'y suis allée and J'y suis allé, for example. Exception: Je suis la serveuse/ Je suis le serveur.

For spoken French, there is no need to get anxious about that aspect if you are starting out in the language. Just keep it in mind.

maareek
10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I didn't read his post closely enough. I though he was just asking for phrases as a whole, not for speaking only. So I figured he'd be using these online as well, where he'd be typing them. Just a misunderstanding.

aFrenchie
10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
ben est-ce que l'on peut dire "mdr" en français?
No, not in spoken mode of course. Only on the internet (mails, forums, chat,...). It's used exactly like "lol" indeed.

8. Ça déchire (if you wanted to be Parisien about it :) right aFrenchie?)
OK. But not only Parisians say that :)

NANAKI
10-09-2006, 05:15 PM
What is the point of this thread it makes no sense there is specific femine and masculine tenses for certain words so there really isn't a girl kind of way of saying things unless you say things wrong by using wrong form.

garçoncanadien
10-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Yes Nanaki, that's right! If Matrix said "Je suis la serveuse", it would raise some eyebrows indeed.

Twitch
10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
You could always try your internet swearsaurus (google it), but I wouldn't recommend it. My French vulgarity is quite limited but I think the accuracy of the site is quite limited, not to mention the spam and ads it contains. Berlitz's Hide This French Book might be a better aproach after you have learned the basics so you know when and where it is appropriate to use/not use the expressions.

zemasterzzz
10-09-2006, 07:53 PM
At first it doesn't really matter. Like if someone learned english in a classroom without ever being exposed to the culture they're bound to sound odd. They'd either sound extremely really well mannered and excessively polite if they were an attentive learner well or they'll have poor grammer and a strange accent. Either way, to a native speaker, it would testify to your foreigness and unfililiartiy with the language. I think it's best just to learn the language and then speak it regularly with others . Eventually you'll pick up the terms and before that any mistakes you make will just be attributed to your familarity with the language.

Matrix
10-09-2006, 09:01 PM
What is the point of this thread it makes no sense

I'll tell you the point... When I watch a video of Alizee.. I listen very very closely so basically I am picking up on her actions, facial animations, sounds she emphasizes.

I sit in front of my computer and speak it just like she speaks it. When she says OUI.. I say it just like her. When she says, MERCI.. I say it just like her. She is just so darn cute and ardorable and I like the sound of her voice.

So here is the point in a nutshell...I am learning the french language thru Alizee and I would probably sound like her if I ever visited France and said... MERCI or OUI or whatever

I would rather sound tough in France, thats why i asked for cool french slang. Besides what is wrong with learning STREET TALK first, rather than learning school french first?

I know I know.. just lower your voice and you wont sound feminine..lol

Anyone that knows me knows i have a sense of humor.. this post is also supposed to be humorous. :p Have a nice day crazed Alizee fans

NANAKI
10-09-2006, 09:03 PM
I'll tell you the point... When I watch a video of Alizee.. I listen very very closely so basically I am picking up on her actions, facial animations, sounds she emphasizes.

I sit in front of my computer and speak it just like she speaks it. When she says OUI.. I say it just like her. When she says, MERCI.. I say it just like her. She is just so darn cute and ardorable and I like the sound of her voice.

So here is the point in a nutshell...I am learning the french language thru Alizee and I would probably sound like her if I ever visited France and said... MERCI or OUI or whatever

I would rather sound tough in France, thats why i asked for cool french slang. Besides what is wrong with learning STREET TALK first, rather than learning school french first?

I know I know.. just lower your voice and you wont sound feminine..lol

Anyone that knows me knows i have a sense of humor.. this post is also supposed to be humorous. :p Have a nice day crazed Alizee fans

yeah I do that too

Matrix
10-09-2006, 09:07 PM
How would you react if somebody who just emigrated from France with 2 years of English experience, only in school, greeted you by "Yo yo wuzzup my homie G?" :)

hahahaha... funny I spit out a popcorn kernel when i read that, that shitts funny. :)

zemasterzzz
10-09-2006, 09:37 PM

I'd probably be rolling on the floor laughing. Actually any1 who said that to me with a serious face would get me lauging so hard.

Spartan500
10-09-2006, 10:58 PM
yeah that would be hilarious. the only time someone i know ever talks like that is because they are making fun of people

aFrenchie
10-10-2006, 07:25 AM
What does "my homie G" stand for? :confused:

RMJ
10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
What does "my homie G" stand for? :confused:
Homie basically means close friend. Short for homeboy.

G is short for gangsta, I think. But when used with homie, I'm not sure how it affects it. Prolly no way really. Just more 'cool' way to say...

maareek
10-10-2006, 11:35 AM
homie G would be a way of referring to pretty much anyone. It's literal meaning would be friend or close friend but in use it's used to speak to generally everyone (though it fell out of favor a realllllly long time ago, as most "hip-hop" terms do). Basically homie g is the same as "cuz", "nephew", "son" etc, as they were all basically popularized by rap artists and used to "sound gangsta" when speaking to other people.

So anybody using "hey homie g" would get looked at strangely and then laughed into the ground. Unless they were famous, in which case it'd become cool to say again.

Matrix
10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Alot of people here in Vegas come up to you and say... " hey G ". Just a tough slang word for Gangsta or someone just trying to be "hip"

Talk to P Diddy or 50 Cent if you wanna learn more..lol

DJ_Greg
10-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Man..."homie G" is really dated. Please, don't say that to anyone, unless you're trying to make a joke about it.

NANAKI
10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Man..."homie G" is really dated. Please, don't say that to anyone, unless you're trying to make a joke about it.

yeah you have to use "vanilla face"

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT

atra201
10-18-2006, 05:50 PM
yeah you have to use "vanilla face"

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT

ok i will:)
and matrix Yo yo wuzzup my homie G i hear ya man

i do the same