PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts: Google Buys YouTube

Sir Wood
10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061010/ap_on_bi_ge/google_youtube;_ylt=AswYnlalZ9rd8KtGfJXCsEYjtBAF;_ ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Pros: Possibly one centralized location for all video contents.

Cons: Removes choice to the consumer. Bull's eye for MIAA/RIAA.

Matrix
10-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Why would anyone wanna buy YouTube? Its just going to go the same way as Napster.

Google purchased YouTube to eventually get rid of it or absorb it.. to get rid of competition. Business move

But eventually all uploaded video content with any copyright titles to it.. will have to be removed

RadioactiveMan
10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
I quite dislike this development. I'm much against any monopoly on the internet, even if it is by Google, which I otherwise like.

Having said that, if I owned Youtube.com, I would have sold it in an instant for 1.65 billion dollars.

Twitch
10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
There's still dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/Aliz%C3%A9e/1), not as big as YouTube but still competition. And $1.65 billion, I would have sold it for less without even thinking about it...and used the money to hire Alizée for a New Year's party.:D

aditya8617
10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
There's still dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/), not as big as YouTube but still competition. And $1.65 billion, I would have sold it for less without even thinking about it...and used the money to hire Alizée for a New Year's party.:D

:mad: What? New Years Party? Couldn't you just give her that money to release her album. That's what I would do. That way you can have even more parties with her:D!

Sir Wood
10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
It's a shame, everytime something good comes out of the WWW, we take two steps backwards. And big business wonders why P2P is affecting them. :rolleyes:

I guess that leaves room for some enterprising person.

Twitch
10-10-2006, 04:50 PM
:mad: What? New Years Party? Couldn't you just give her that money to release her album. That's what I would do. That way you can have even more parties with her:D!
With $1.65 billion I'm sure you would have more than enough to sponsor her new album, a concert tour, have her sing at a party, and still have some left over.:)

And as for big business, well like Matrix said, YouTube was going the way of Napster and copyrighted material was being removed, slowly but it was happening. And once there is only one service left can anyone else see subscriptions showing up, or you need to start paying for downloads, which would be crazy because of the quality of the flv's.

Bob
10-10-2006, 05:18 PM
hey i like it a lot =) google is awsome

and btw, my sister who works in the advertising department of google says that it should be interesting, but she likes it

DJ_Greg
10-10-2006, 06:52 PM

and btw, my sister who works in the advertising department of google says that it should be interesting, but she likes it

Gee, I wonder why she might say that... :p

Spartan500
10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
lol €i just hope they don't ruin youtube

rwd716
10-10-2006, 09:50 PM
lol €i just hope they don't ruin youtube

Ditto, Youtube was my first source of Alizée vids. Some sentiment there :p

General Patton
10-10-2006, 11:23 PM

GO GOOGLE! Yea! Google would never make us pay for downloading videos or viewing them! I know google they wouldn't do that... i hope...then again money can turn nice people into monsters...

cane17
10-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Ditto, Youtube was my first source of Alizée vids. Some sentiment there :p

lol same here.

DJ_Greg
10-11-2006, 12:41 AM
GO GOOGLE! Yea! Google would never make us pay for downloading videos or viewing them! I know google they wouldn't do that... i hope...then again money can turn nice people into monsters...

Don't count on it. If they think they can make more money charging people than keeping it free and getting ad revenue, they'll start charging.

Gatchaman
10-11-2006, 01:45 AM
I like the acquisition. YouTube is the biggest and most popular video site out there. Advertisers know that, and so does Hollywood. YouTube has also made great strides in acuiring the rights to host videos from major studios such as Fox, Universal, Warner Bros, etc.

Because of that, Google went ahead with the purchase. Besides, YouTube was a money pit, and burning tons of cash monthly to stay afloat. So this is a win for Google because of the potential advertising revenue, a win for YouTube (obviously, and a win for us viewers.

There are still a bunch of competition out there such as Vmix, DailyMotion, etc, so YouTube will still continue to work hard to improve itself.

Look for Yahoo to step up and make the next video service purchase.

rcs
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't care what they do, just don't lose the Alizee videos. :)

O Rly
10-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, they would have to remove them if the copyright's owner complains about it. I hope that it won't happen though.

rcs
10-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Quick, everyone start downloading!

O Rly
10-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Stupid question - How?
Seriously.

Gatchaman
10-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, they would have to remove them if the copyright's owner complains about it. I hope that it won't happen though.

Many of Alizee's videos are TV type appearances, so I doubt that those TV programs would sue at this time. Plus YouTube struck a deal with Universal Music, which if I'm not mistaken represented Alizee.

http://news.com.com/YouTube+cuts+three+content+deals/2100-1030_3-6123914.html?tag=nl

O Rly
10-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah i know that, they probably wouldn't sue for that, but i was just saying that they could do it.

DJ_Greg
10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I like the acquisition. YouTube is the biggest and most popular video site out there. Advertisers know that, and so does Hollywood. YouTube has also made great strides in acuiring the rights to host videos from major studios such as Fox, Universal, Warner Bros, etc.

Because of that, Google went ahead with the purchase. Besides, YouTube was a money pit, and burning tons of cash monthly to stay afloat. So this is a win for Google because of the potential advertising revenue, a win for YouTube (obviously, and a win for us viewers.

There are still a bunch of competition out there such as Vmix, DailyMotion, etc, so YouTube will still continue to work hard to improve itself.

Look for Yahoo to step up and make the next video service purchase.

Actually, I wonder if YouTube will continue to exist. Google already has a very similar service, integrated with their web browser, called GoogleVideo. They might have just bought YouTube to eliminate competition. It's not quite like when Yahoo bought Broadcast.com and turned it into Yahoo Broadcast - they didn't have the feature at that time. Google doesn't "need" YouTube in that way, so they might just dismantle it.

Gatchaman
10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Actually, I wonder if YouTube will continue to exist. Google already has a very similar service, integrated with their web browser, called GoogleVideo. They might have just bought YouTube to eliminate competition. It's not quite like when Yahoo bought Broadcast.com and turned it into Yahoo Broadcast - they didn't have the feature at that time. Google doesn't "need" YouTube in that way, so they might just dismantle it.

Google has stated that they will continue to operate independently, and will work together to create new features for YouTube. My guess is that Google will phase out their current video service.

Pirate515
10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Google has stated that they will continue to operate independently, and will work together to create new features for YouTube. My guess is that Google will phase out their current video service.That's what I thought of as well. Business-wise, it just doesn't make sense for one company to have two products/services that do the exact same thing. So one of them will have to go, and given the fact that YouTube is far more popular than Google Video, Google Video will probably bite the dust.

Spartan500
10-11-2006, 02:03 PM
yeah i wonder if they do decide to "phase" google video out if they are gonna put all the google video vids on youtube and combine the collection cause there is stuff on google that isn't on youtube

DJ_Greg
10-11-2006, 03:14 PM
I wonder, though, if YouTube will continue to be known as "YouTube" or if they'll incorporate the Google name in..."GoogleTube" or something. It's branding...gotta get your name out in as many places as possible.

Spartan500
10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
yeah but they might want to stick with youtube as the name because people already know it. its like with the newest generation mazda mx-5 they cut off miata but people still call them miatas and now mazda has or is already putting miata back in the name

Gatchaman
10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Stupid question - How?
Seriously.

Check this site out guys http://www.keepvid.com

It allows you to download .flv video files from YouTube, Google Video, etc. I'm not sure how long this site will last, so use it while you can.

Oh, and you will need to download an FLV player to view the files. I suggest using this one. Works for both Windows and Mac.
http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/wimpy_standalone_flv_player.html

bt_bird_90
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM

It allows you to download .flv video files from YouTube, Google Video, etc. I'm not sure how long this site will last, so use it while you can.

Oh, and you will need to download an FLV player to view the files. I suggest using this one. Works for both Windows and Mac.

:eek: Oh... my... Alizée... thank you Gatchaman!!!!1!!one!!

Spartan500
10-11-2006, 07:09 PM
yeah thanks gatchaman im gonna download as much videos as i can

O Rly
10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Cool, thanks. I didn't know about that site. *goes to dl stuff*

nurvonic
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM

either theres something wrong with my computer, or im just a complete dumbass when it comes to computers, cuz none of that shit isnt working for me:mad:

O Rly
10-12-2006, 04:08 PM
What exactly isn't working for you? Cause everything's ok, except that on some videos the sound is kinda odd.

Anyways, since you said everything just copy in a URL of a video in the tab as shown belowin the attachments.

After that, just rename the file to have a ".flv" at the end and view it in a player like VLC.

nurvonic
10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
What exactly isn't working for you?.

my brain isnt working

O Rly
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I edited my post, try what i said there.But anyways i really have to go now.

Matrix
10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
First thing you do..

1. You see the two inch wide rectangle that says "Drag this button onto your links toolbar" Drag that onto the toolbar directly below they provide for you.

2. Copy and paste the link to the video you are viewing and want to save, to the SAME toolbar they provide for you, now you got this really long thing printed in the toolbar.. okay

3. Make sure you use the drop down menu immediately to the right of the toolbar , if you watching a video on Youtube.. select youtube.. etc..

4. Immediately to right of that click Download and wait... wait..

4. Directly below the toolbar you should see Downloading in progress... if you get an error message just try it again. If it works you will get a message saying its completed or something. This is the file you want to save to your desktop or wherever you save files.

5. Click on that and Save the file... wait til its downloaded to your computer then change the file to an FLV file. Go to My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View, uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

6. This is where i get confused.. im not sure how to change the file to FLV. I got the FLV player... I see the file i downloaded to my desktop but what program do i use to change the file name?

Help!

Gatchaman
10-12-2006, 06:16 PM
First thing you do..

1. You see the two inch wide rectangle that says "Drag this button onto your links toolbar" Drag that onto the toolbar directly below they provide for you.

2. Copy and paste the link to the video you are viewing and want to save, to the SAME toolbar they provide for you, now you got this really long thing printed in the toolbar.. okay

3. Make sure you use the drop down menu immediately to the right of the toolbar , if you watching a video on Youtube.. select youtube.. etc..

4. Immediately to right of that click Download and wait... wait..

4. Directly below the toolbar you should see Downloading in progress... if you get an error message just try it again. If it works you will get a message saying its completed or something. This is the file you want to save to your desktop or wherever you save files.

5. Click on that and Save the file... wait til its downloaded to your computer then change the file to an FLV file. Go to My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View, uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

6. This is where i get confused.. im not sure how to change the file to FLV. I got the FLV player... I see the file i downloaded to my desktop but what program do i use to change the file name?

Help!

Just add ".flv" to the end of the downloaded file, and that should do it.

Matrix
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks, i know that, just add .flv but what program do you use to open the file you downloaded? Dont you have to open the file up to change it? I would think so. Doesnt matter anyways, im not gonna get into this.. but was just trying to help Nurvonic

Twitch
10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Here's a similar site but that also has a Mozilla plug in so you can download the flv's directly from YouTube through Mozilla.http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php
It has an animated demo that shows you how its used, being desigend for YouTube it doesn't work at everysite but it does for most of them. And VLC will also play flv's if you have it.

Sir Wood
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Record companies smelling the coffee?

http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6127363.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=ns_music&tag=r2jmusic

Music companies grab share of YouTube sale
"Three of the four major music companies--Vivendi's Universal Music Group, Sony and Bertelsmann's jointly owned Sony BMG Music Entertainment, and the Warner Music Group--each quietly negotiated to take small stakes in YouTube as part of video- and music-licensing deals they struck shortly before the sale, people involved in the talks said Wednesday. The music companies collectively stand to receive as much as $50 million from these arrangements, these people said...

The deals that the music companies struck for stakes in YouTube should help to shield Google from copyright-infringement lawsuits, an issue that concerned some Google investors when the YouTube deal was first announced. Still, other copyright holders, including the Hollywood and television studios, could pursue legal action if their content appears on YouTube...

Of the four major record companies, only EMI did not strike a deal with YouTube... "