PDA

View Full Version : I'm Worried

Urb4n
10-13-2006, 02:55 AM
To say the least, I'm a little worried about Alizee's success when she returns. I've been reading some coments on some other sites and alot of the comments left by people who see her videos on Youtube.com It appears that not alot of Europeans seem to like her. One even went as far to say "She dishonour France, french culture and french nation. Grrr.. In France no so many who loves her. It's correctly!" After sifting through the broken English I get the feeling more and more that Lili's career is over.

The Alizee that we've all been so greatly attracted to is long dead, so to speak. I seriously doubt that she is the same cute, innocent, princess that so captured our interests. It's not like she's been frozen in time the past 3 years. Things have changed and I think that all of us are in for a huge surprise.

When (if) that album is released, the music style will be very different from what we've been listening to. I think that the majority of us will not like it. Those of you whom have decided that you will like it already, ask yourself if it's really Alizee's music that you like most about her.

In addition to the change in her music and image, I think that the new release will ultimately be a flop. After hearing from some other members on these forums that people hardly know of her anymore, I doubt that she will be the same big hit that she was 4-5 years ago. Hell, there are people from Europe who talk about her very negatively. It sounds to me that she is very unpopular over there.

I don't know, I'm just kind of flowing my conciousness onto the keyboard. I guess to sum it all up, I'll say this: Her career i probably over, it was shortlived like every other pop-icon of the late 90's-early 2000's. It's time to face the music, and move on to other things (like alot of you have, but won't admit:( ). Game over, man.

P.S. >>Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a fan of her music that she's recorded as of yet, but I have serious doubts for her future in the business.

DJ_Greg
10-13-2006, 03:08 AM
The Alizee that we've all been so greatly attracted to is long dead, so to speak. I seriously doubt that she is the same cute, innocent, princess that so captured our interests. It's not like she's been frozen in time the past 3 years. Things have changed and I think that all of us are in for a huge surprise.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8797/02hj6.jpg

Still looks damn cute to me...

When (if) that album is released, the music style will be very different from what we've been listening to. I think that the majority of us will not like it. Those of you whom have decided that you will like it already, ask yourself if it's really Alizee's music that you like most about her.

I like Alizée in spite of my musical tastes. From what I can tell, very few of us here listen to pop music outside of hers. Hell, RadioactiveMan is an 80s metal fan. mibir likes Sublime. Most of us were not drawn to Alizée because we heard one of her songs...

And really, is there anything wrong with that?

That being said, if Alizée's music shifts in more of a rock direction...which is what most people here like...why would you think the majority won't like it?

newalizeefan
10-13-2006, 03:24 AM
if i stopped listening to rap/hip-hop to listen to alizees music. i probably wont find it hard to get used to her new style of music if she comes back. although she lost many european fans she will probably regain some more when she releases her album... along with more american fans. but i dont think it will sell as much as gourmandise and MCE.
im just so damn desperate to see her comeback that im not even thinking about her new style of music. and with her image, she is still an angel, she will still be just as beautiful when she comes back. unless she goes skin bald =P

Twitch
10-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Tough question, I heard that the concert for the en Concert DVD wasn't sold out something around 70% capacity if I remeber right. But personally I actually like her voice more than Mylene's lyrics and Laurent's music. At times I find that her voice is buried under Laurent's music and wish you could hear more of it. I also wish she would sing live more to gain more confidence and power in her voice. But back to your question I don't think any other French artist had the success Moi Lolita had, and compared to it her new albums aren't going to be as popular, but Mes Courants Electriques still sold on par with other French albums. And I do enjoy her covers which shows she doesn't need Mylene and Laurent to deliver a performance. And if she moves in a new direction so what, yes it will alienate some fans, but it will also attract new ones. I don't listen to pop music outside of a few French artists, so it doesn't bother me if she grows as an artist. I can't say I will like something I haven't heard but don't expect not liking it. And as for what she looks like, she's a singer why the hell would I not listen to her songs based on what she looks like. The fact that's she's cute is only an added bonus, but not one I require to enjoy her singing. And one final point to this rambling is that some said that she was a one hit wonder after Moi Lolita and she was finished, yet she released two more albums (counting en Concert). Don't be so skeptical it takes a lot of work and time to create an album, especially those created outside of the world of manufactured pop music.

rwd716
10-13-2006, 03:42 AM
To say the least, I'm a little worried about Alizee's success when she returns. I've been reading some coments on some other sites and alot of the comments left by people who see her videos on Youtube.com It appears that not alot of Europeans seem to like her. One even went as far to say "She dishonour France, french culture and french nation. Grrr.. In France no so many who loves her. It's correctly!" After sifting through the broken English I get the feeling more and more that Lili's career is over.

I don't know if you've noticed, but all the posters on Youtube are idiots. They say the most random shit.

And as for "She dishonors the country." I think she's done nothing but draw people to learn French and visit their country. Great advertising if you ask me. Her public life is very clean. I have no clue as to what would be disrespectfull to France. If they're referring to the upskirting incorporated in her dances, that's not really that big of a deal. Have they seen MF's basically striptease vid, lol. Seems more of a personal problem on their part.

In addition to the change in her music and image, I think that the new release will ultimately be a flop. After hearing from some other members on these forums that people hardly know of her anymore, I doubt that she will be the same big hit that she was 4-5 years ago. Hell, there are people from Europe who talk about her very negatively. It sounds to me that she is very unpopular over there.

It really depends on the marketing. Of course people barely think of her anymore. She hasn't been in the spotlight. But she still has her past fame to build on. When the new album comes out, it won't be like people will say, "Who's this?"

Yeah, I'll have to say I'll doubt if it is a big as before. To get to the level she had before is pretty hard. She was a solid no. 1 in the country--pretty tough to match, even if it is yourself. It's not immpossible, though. There's alot of artists that come back w/ a big hit!

You gotta remember that it's not the same "team" working on this record. This is a new step for Alizée, and first steps always a bitch! Anyhow.......you stay sexy San Diego!!!!!! :cool:

bt_bird_90
10-13-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm a little worried
Don't be

WARNING! MUSHY FEELINGS AHEAD
On a deeper note:
I couldn't care less what other people think, all I know is I enjoy her music, even if a new album is a tremendous flop, I'm sure she can still manage enough to get by.
As much as I want her to have every opportunity in the world, if the general population doesn't like it, fine, I'll still have my copy though. America has had some pretty shitty music, people often don't know what's good, take a look at some of the junk that's popular today, as much more sophistaced as we want the magical land of smart people across the Atlantic to be, they are able to fall into the same crummy tastes too.

The universe is a big f*cking place, a BIG f*cking place, with so many things bigger than us, the only thing we can be sure of is the effect we leave on others. Old Alizee is not dead, that girl has already meant something to me, she has left a mark on me and on a lot of the people here, through that she will live on forever.

And about her not the same cute girl - what I've always admired about Alizée is her love of life, she can make the funnest moments out of nothing. I might be delusional, but I think she is the rare case of a great person made a celebrity, not an average selfish nutcase that the media tells us to like.

As for her career being over, nah, talent like that can't hide forever.
But if she IS done, I'll let her be done, she deserves to live her life out the way she wants, I couldn't care less if that includes anther album in the future.
She's already changed my life, I can't ask for any more, she's left a mark on me that nobody can take away. That person existed, and that same person is still walking the same earth we do everyday, I just hope to learn more about her sometime.

bt_bird_90
10-13-2006, 04:05 AM
lmao, Urb4n opened up a can of worms with this one, you guys rock, btw

Señor Villa
10-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Well I wrote a long page and the damn thing shut me out and I lost everything so here is a short version.

*Alizée must change style to keep listeners interested. Change is good.
* American music sucks European music rocks because it's different
*Too many good artists in EU but they probably wouldn't appeal to the US listener as a whole since it is in a foreign language.
* Rap must go it sucks since 1998 now Europe is getting more into rap don't try to be American
*US schools should teach other languages at an early age so we can compete with Europe maybe more artists would show their stuff in their native language. I hate English versions of songs from artists that English is not their first language. After translating it loses its original meaning.

rwd716
10-13-2006, 04:25 AM
She's already changed my life, I can't ask for any more, she's left a mark on me that nobody can take away. That person existed, and that same person is still walking the same earth we do everyday, I just hope to learn more about her sometime.

Well spoken.

Señor Villa
10-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Here are some artists that I would recommend which most have videos on You Tube.

French: Melissa Mars, Pascal Obispo, Calogero, Jenifer, Natasha St Pier, Nolwenn Leroy, Clemence, Balbino Medellin, Arkol, Vegastar, Mylene Farmer

Italian: Paola e Chiara

German: Lafee

Greek: Elena Paparizou

aditya8617
10-13-2006, 05:09 AM
I wish Alizee can come soon and shut her critics up.

C-4
10-13-2006, 07:20 AM
bt-bird is correct! I totally agree!
Well written bt!
Stephen

rcs
10-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Urb4n,

She'll still have that eloquent singing voice, drop dead gorgeous eyes, and produce new cute facial expressions for us to froth at. :p I get bummed too sometimes; it's good you came to the forum to express your thoughts. As model citizens of any Alizee fan website, it's our duty to pick you up dude. You must have fallen hard during one of your difficult break dancing moves, LOL. :)

P.S. Don't you wish that there was a way you could email her personally and tell her your feelings, as a fan of course? Somebody invent the software, please.

Lili, if you're out there, WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! Please post...in French even.

maareek
10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
As an artist you grow up and change. You're a person the same as everybody else, and that means change. Her music is going to be different, I think everybody knows that. Why would you want it to be the same? I want to see her stretching herself musically. When you do that, you lose some fans but you gain some more. And the core will always be there (that's the majority of us, btw :)~).

So maybe the european community has "forgotten about her", which I doubt but meh, they'll remember as soon as the new album drops. That's what happens, you go away and do your work and the crowd moves on to the next thing until you become the new thing again, that's how the fickle world of pop culture goes.

When she comes back, it's not going to be what she was. And who wants that? We've grown up since then, and so has she. I want to see and hear the new Alizee, I've already heard the old one.

I understand your concerns, but I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. She's lost fans and will lose fans, all artists do. But she'll still have a solid base and will have ample opportunity to reach out and bring in new fans. And let's face it, I don't think she's strapped for cash, she can afford to make whatever music she wants and stick her cute little nose up at all the naysayers. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

spysmasher
10-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Has Europe lost interest in Alizee, or even turned against her? I don’t really know, but I wouldn’t consider a few posters on Youtube a reliable indicator of that.

Will Alizee’s loyal fans be turned off by a changed Alizee? I don’t think that most will. Even though we are all expecting her music and image to change with this new outing, the change may be a bit of a shock to us at first. However, some may find they like the new stuff even better than the old.

In any case, I’m not particularly worried about Alizee’s future, and here’s why: she has already proven that she has the talent and charisma to “wow” the world. Even with a different style of music and a new image, that talent and charisma will still be there; and that, I think, will win over fans both old and new. Granted, her new disc may not be as successful as her earlier ones (especially her first), but with her proven ability as a musical performer, I doubt if it will be a “flop.”

I’m not worried.

Gatchaman
10-13-2006, 01:56 PM
If she wants to call it quits, then I'm cool with that. She put out enough music in her last 2 albums to satisfy me for a lifetime. But if she does choose to come back, then there is no better time than now. She is bigger now globally than when she took a break, and I'm confident that she will do well regardless of what type of music she sings.

Matrix
10-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I guess to sum it all up, I'll say this: Her career i probably over. Game over, man.

P.S. >>Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a fan of her music that she's recorded as of yet, but I have serious doubts for her future in the business.

Thanks for sharing your opinion but I laughed at this post because Alizee is still so young, lol She had early success at a very young age. Some people forget that. Extraordinary success for her, now can she duplicate that again?

Remember... all it takes is one hit song and B A M !!! you back on top of the world! The career of Alizee is over when she says its over. She has legions of fans who are not going anywhere. The fact that we make these kinds of posts proves that.

Alizee is Toc de Mac, she is deeply imbedded in our hearts and you know and I know we cannot get rid of her no matter how hard we try. There will always be critics typing in nasty comments saying this and that.

I made a post on these forums saying Alizee is done, stick a fork in her. I said that out of spite. Why? Because we all are tired of waiting, waiting, waiting for more from this extraordinary talent.

We are fans! Its what fans do. We complain, we praise, we contemplate... we are FANS!

Alizee we are not going anywhere! We love you! :)

nurvonic
10-13-2006, 02:12 PM
well i dont have anything deep and meaningful to say like bt_bird over here, except ALIZEE WILL BE BACK AND SHE WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER

i think this to be true because of her long absense, and her old fans will be back to binge on some new Alizee:) and also she has many more new fans over here in the states, people who didnt discover her until this year. there will be an outcry from american fans (namely us) for alizee to come here and do a show

vctralca
10-13-2006, 02:17 PM
About the critics, they are random the people who wrote that sh*t, they just dont realize who alizee truly is, they just think she is another britney or whatever, there will be critics like that always, but we know that she is a great artist, i hope the early comeback with a great album, i think she ll do a grat job . .

HibyPrime
10-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Alizee changed my musical tastes, and by doing that exposed me to things in the world I never knew about, or previously cared about.

6 months ago my main goal was to be the best WoW player ever, it is now 2 things. One, to get my business to a point where I can just sit back and watch it run (which has nothing to do with Alizee), and two, to move to france before I am too old to enjoy it.

Wether or not alizee is seen as a good artist in france or anywhere else does not matter, nor does it matter if her third album will be good or if it will even be released. The point is, the music made by that trio is the best I have ever heard - nothing can change that, other than better music being released in the future.

Remember that time does not change music, only your perspective on it changes over time.

There are still people who even like britney spears' first album, mainly because it was an innovation of sorts - noone had done it before. Britney's music was always utter sh*t in my opinion, but does that change their (the people who like it) perspective? No.

General Patton
10-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Urb4n...I agree with you in many ways...and by saying this I am probably going to be hated even more in the forums...
I too have seen alot of European comments about Alizee stating that no one is in to her. Also, didn't some here go to Paris...and ask about her? And their reply was that no one listens to her any more? It looks like a three year break killed her popularity... However most of you here are so biased that even if she said that she no longer going to publish and album you still would say that she is publishing a new album. On the other hand if she does publish it she will be SO different. Like Urb4n said.
I agree with Urb4n.... please don't kill me...

NANAKI
10-13-2006, 05:02 PM
As it was aid earlier most people here listen to rock and that is the way she is probably going so we would probably like it. And I heard her music before I even saw what she looked like so it is her music for me. What happened was I clicked on another video after a was done listening to a you tube video well i clicked on it then went back to web surfing. Once it was well into the song I really enjoyed it so i looked up who it was and found out all I could and just found more of her songs and now I own the cd's so I am in love with the music and the girl.

DJ_Greg
10-14-2006, 12:51 AM
* American music sucks European music rocks because it's different

You're just not listening to the right American music, then.

DJ_Greg
10-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Urb4n...I agree with you in many ways...and by saying this I am probably going to be hated even more in the forums...

Nobody hates you here, GP. And if someone does, they need to grow up. People tease you here, but it's all in fun...you should know that by now!

jaco
10-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm not too worried. Alizée rivals Mickey Mouse (http://www.google.com/trends?q=mickey+mouse%2C+alizee%2C+Aliz%C3%A9e&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all) in terms of popularity. The masses have an extremely short memory span, so of course when someone has not been in the mass media for three years they will have forgotten her (note how in the bottom graph mickey has been in the news constantly). When her new album comes out and her marketing campaign gets started (besides the grassroots campaign we have going) she will be very popular again. I for one believe that Alizée has great taste and I'm sure her new album will be fantastic. Less poppy, more mature, etc. But then I was younger when she first was popular, so this is fine with me.

General Patton
10-15-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm not too worried. Alizée rivals Mickey Mouse (http://www.google.com/trends?q=mickey+mouse%2C+alizee%2C+Aliz%C3%A9e&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all) in terms of popularity. The masses have an extremely short memory span, so of course when someone has not been in the mass media for three years they will have forgotten her (note how in the bottom graph mickey has been in the news constantly). When her new album comes out and her marketing campaign gets started (besides the grassroots campaign we have going) she will be very popular again. I for one believe that Alizée has great taste and I'm sure her new album will be fantastic. Less poppy, more mature, etc. But then I was younger when she first was popular, so this is fine with me.

Hm...from 2005-2006 her hits on google where skyrocketing...probably that "Shake" video.

Twitch
10-15-2006, 05:18 PM
This was posted in an Alizée sightings thread on Oct 9. It was scanned from a French magazine Public dating the week of Oct 9 to 15. So she is not completely forgotten in France. And once the PR for the new album starts I'm sure she'll be plastered all over the French media once again.
http://www.nidalizee.com/presse/presse_2006/sept_oct2006/public.jpg

aFrenchie
10-15-2006, 06:01 PM
^^^ The frame says:
"Lolita vs. daughter of...
We knew her as a lolita. She knew how to remain that way. As for Laura, she looks more like a woman..."

Laura Smet is the daughter of Johnny Hallyday (huge singer in France since the early 60s) and Nathalie Baye (actress)

Sir Wood
10-15-2006, 10:42 PM
This was posted in an Alizée sightings thread on Oct 9. It was scanned from a French magazine Public dating the week of Oct 9 to 15. So she is not completely forgotten in France. And once the PR for the new album starts I'm sure she'll be plastered all over the French media once again.
http://www.nidalizee.com/presse/presse_2006/sept_oct2006/public.jpg

Wow, nice find. Thanks Twitch!

Twitch
10-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks aFrenchie, I was lazy and didn't post a translation, although it's probably best because I suck at translating even though I understand the French I'm not the best at always translating it correctly. And I had no idea who Laura Smet was, even though I know about Johnny Hallyday, helps put the article in perspective.:)

aFrenchie
10-16-2006, 09:00 AM
And I had no idea who Laura Smet was, even though I know about Johnny Hallyday, helps put the article in perspective.:)
J.H.'s real name is Jean-Philippe Smet. You can see that his daughter's eyes looks a lot like his:
http://bretagne.air-nifty.com/anne_de_bretagne/images/B00008LOS0.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You can also see his son David singing with Alizée in this video (http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=57) at 3:27.
At last, for those who never heard of J. Hallyday, he's the favorite singer of Alizée: http://www.alizee-fanpage.com/page.php?language=en&content=bio

RMJ
10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I was expecting her to go to Johnny's concert in Paris but haven't heard anything about it... Maybe no-one just happened to spot her there.