PDA

View Full Version : Translation Assistance

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-20-2010, 06:28 AM
This thread is for all the non-French speakers. If you have a short phrase or two that you would like assistance in translating, post it here. Hopefully, the members who do know French will be able to help. Nothing too long, and no requests for lyrics. Whether it is French to English or English to French, you can post it here and have it translated. Also, please try to not go off topic too entirely much, that way people can find the answer to their question. Here is an example: how would I say 'Wish me luck!'? And if all goes well, a French speaker will respond to it with an accurate answer. I hope to be able to answer questions in this thread instead of asking, but I am still learning. So, can anybody help?

Chuck
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Re your example, V "Wish me luck" - it would depend whether you're asking for luck from one (familiar) person or not. If so, I think you'd get "Souhaites-moi la chance!" If not, it's "Souhaitez-moi la chance!"

Either way, here you go - "Bonne chance!"

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Merci, chuck! For helping with the example, and the translation!

paintballpdh19
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
great idea for a thread, i will surely be posting here for some translations :D

Fall
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
How do you say "This Is It?" :o:D

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-20-2010, 11:44 PM
C'est il ! Though, I doubt that conveys the same meaning. Also, is this correct: J'ai un entrevue pour une tâche à 13h (19h à Paris). Souhaites-moi la chance ! Feel free to correct spelling, grammar, or accents! It is here in English: I have an interview for a job at 13h (19h in Paris). Wish me luck! And is the time conversion correct? I am at the east coast, so Paris is 6 hours ahead? Or five?

paintballpdh19
04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
alright i got one... how would you say: " thank you for autographing my CD at the session for Alizee America a couple of weeks ago"

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Merci pour signer ma cd à la séance pour Alizée America il y a trois semaines. Though, you may want to wait for a second opinion. I don't know 'autograph', I used signing instead. I also don't know how to translate the idiom 'a couple weeks ago', I don't think it would work right. So I just used the closer measure of three weeks. Still practically the meaning. Shouldn't be a problem.

user472884
04-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Off the top of my head;

"Merci beaucoup pour votre autographes à Alizée America"

More simplified-

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I translted it as he posted it, full length. But is autograph (the verb form) the same in French? Pdh, do you want it formal or casual? Votre is formal, but you can use 'tes' for casual.

paintballpdh19
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I translted it as he posted it, full length. But is autograph (the verb form) the same in French? Pdh, do you want it formal or casual? Votre is formal, but you can use 'tes' for casual.

formal would prob be best

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I never use formal with Alizée. I always use tu, ta, ton, tes. Not because. Don't respect her, but I prefer vous, vos, votre for authoritile figures.

paintballpdh19
04-21-2010, 10:15 PM
I never use formal with Alizée. I always use tu, ta, ton, tes. Not because. Don't respect her, but I prefer vous, vos, votre for authoritile figures.

well i have no idea about the French language so whatever u think is best ill go with.

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Well, I always use casual when I post on her fb wall. And she normally responds by pressing like. Which means she must not mind her fans being casual, since she is so young. So I would say tu, but if you feel vous is more appropriate, go with that.

Toc De Mac
04-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Wish me luck!
Souhaite-moi bonne chance!

This is it.
More context is needed. I know it probably relates to Michael Jackson, but even then the title of the film about his life still has various meanings in English.

thank you for autographing my CD at the session for Alizee America a couple of weeks ago
Merci d’avoir dédicacé mon album à la séance pour Alizée America il y a quelques semaines.

VVVACCPLPNLY
04-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Merci, toc de mac !

Toc De Mac
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Pas de quoi ! :)

user472884
05-01-2010, 02:33 AM
I find that often, I'll use the phrase "I'll go with that" in restaurant situations and such. As english speakers, we understand what that means.

Does this concept translate into French? Is "Nous allons aller avec ça" correct and understandable? or is there another phrase that should be substituted?

*Also, is it "Nous allons aller avec ça" or "Nous allons avec ça"?

paintballpdh19
05-02-2010, 03:15 PM
thanks Toc De Mac

Toc De Mac
05-04-2010, 08:04 PM
thanks Toc De Mac

You're welcome. :p

I find that often, I'll use the phrase "I'll go with that" in restaurant situations and such. As english speakers, we understand what that means.

Does this concept translate into French? Is "Nous allons aller avec ça" correct and understandable? or is there another phrase that should be substituted?

*Also, is it "Nous allons aller avec ça" or "Nous allons avec ça"?

I'm sure that the concept exists in French, though I'm doubtful that it would be said like that. :confused: My first reaction was, "Je prendrai ça," meaning simply, "I'll have that." Which, I guess, can in English essentially replace the original phrase.

hartford10
08-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Here is a solution to your trouble that the translation of wish me luck in French is Souhaitez moi bonne chance! Hope you are satisfied with this answer.