PDA

View Full Version : C`est trop tard song question

Matrix
10-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Alizee in this song says... "john ay marre" and she also says "yawn ay marre" - this is the English "sounds like"

Jen ai marre- im fed up.. i know that.. but "yawn ay marre" ???

What's the difference?

DJ_Greg
10-20-2006, 01:17 AM
I wondered the same thing. Maybe she slurs?

maareek
10-20-2006, 01:21 AM
"j'en ai marre" means I'm fed up. The second one is "oui, y'en a marre" means yes, that's enough. It's not a slur it's just a similarity.

HibyPrime
10-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Alizee in this song says... "john ay marre" and she also says "yawn ay marre" - this is the English "sounds like"

Jen ai marre- im fed up.. i know that.. but "yawn ay marre" ???

What's the difference?

1. J'en ai marre

2. Oui, y'en a marre

I think it means: "yes, fed up" - as to confirm her pissed off mood

nurvonic
10-20-2006, 01:24 AM
LOL...'john ay marre'

C'est trop tard! Pour l'histoire
Bien trop tard! J'en ai marre
C'est trop tard! Si tu pars
Parce qu'entre nous c'était un peu bizarre...
J'me barre!
C'est trop tard! Pour y croire
Bien trop tard! Oui, y'en a marre!
C'est trop tard! Si c'est ton "art" ...Ou du cochon moi j'ai pas d'opinion.
T'es con!

It's too late! For the story
Much too late! I'm fed up
It's too late! If you leave
Because between us, it was a little awkward...
I'm leaving!
It's too late! To believe it
Much too late! Yes, that's enough!
It's too late! If this is your "art"....or of the pig, me, I have no opinion.
You idiot!

Matrix
10-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Yep i just looked at the lyrics. "yes, thats enough".... = "yawn ae marre"

Whatever... the french language is very confusing. How come there isn't a OUI in there for the "yes" ? She doesnt sing OUI in there, its missing

I love the french sound but my god your language is DIFFICULT!!!!

Merci for your help

maareek
10-20-2006, 01:27 AM

Whatever... the french language is very confusing. How come there isn't a OUI in there for the "yes" ?

Merci for your help

There is. O_O In my opinion it's certainly less confusing than english, just takes a lot of getting used to if you're used to doing things differently.

Matrix
10-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Less confusing than english. I wish i had been born french and tried to learn english so i could understand that statement. To me english is the simplest language in the world... duh i wonder why...lol

I do hear many foreignors complain about english though. IT must be true.. english is difficult

maareek
10-20-2006, 01:33 AM
She definitely sings "oui, y'en a marre" in the En Concert version. I'm too lazy right now to load up WMV and listen to the studio version, but I'm going to assume it's there as well and that you're just missing it.

HibyPrime
10-20-2006, 01:34 AM

Whatever... the french language is very confusing. How come there isn't a OUI in there for the "yes" ? She doesnt sing OUI in there, its missing

Merci for your help

The whole line is pronounced: we-an-ah-mahr

The "Oui" is in there.

Edit: I just listened to it, she sings it more like: ee-an-ah-mahr

Matrix
10-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Lets ask Mylene Farmer she is the one who wrote the wierd lyrics! Mylene.. what did you mean by that? Never mind.. you are one crazy lady.. but i like you

maareek
10-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Less confusing than english. I wish i had been born french and tried to learn english so i could understand that statement. To me english is the simplest language in the world... duh i wonder why...lol

I do hear many foreignors complain about english though. IT must be true.. english is difficult

It may not be the most difficult or confusing, but it's definitely hard if you aren't a native speaker. And very few native speakers even get it right. It's just so complex and there's so many rules and words and grammatical nuances that it's hell to learn if you speak it your whole life, much less if you just started it. I'm a native speaker but having dabbled in other languages and paid pretty close attention to this one I know it's pretty difficult, and most people thing I have an excellent grasp of it, while I think I'm pretty poor at it.

Most other languages seem pretty straightforward to me in comparison, but I could be missing something. You just have to get past the "well why is it this way" stage and figuring it out becomes easier.

And yeah, I wish I'd have learned french as a child too. Hell, now I wish I'd have paid more attention in French class, my teacher was very knowledgable and I squandered the opportunity. :(

HibyPrime
10-20-2006, 01:43 AM
You just have to get past the "well why is it this way" stage and figuring it out becomes easier.

I never understood why this is so hard for people, the answer is and always will be "it just is."

maareek
10-20-2006, 01:47 AM
As an adult you've become so accustomed to doing things in such a way it becomes unusual and difficult to understand why it would be done differently. For an adult to learn a new language (an entirely different way to communicate) it's pretty natural to have to fight the udge to question why. It's just about whether or not you want to learn it bad enough to get past that stage, since once you accept it for what it is things get much, much easier.

And children rarely have this problem as they haven't had the same level of ingraining of set patterns put into them yet so they're more susceptible to different ways of doing things. When I have children I'm going to follow my French teachers child rearing advice and teach them every language I know (which at the moment is one with bits and pieces of like 3 others, though I hope to expand that to 4 eventually) from the earliest possible moment. If they decide not to pursue it further later on they'll have a basis to make a judgment on and if they decide to pursue it, they'll already have a foundation.

Twitch
10-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Mais non, vraiment? Le français n'est pas difficile ça seulement prend du temps c'est tout.:) (French isn't hard it just takes a bit of time, that's all)

But from what I've been told English if you don't grow up with it is very hard to learn because of all the different pronountiations, (otion and ocean, not to mention all the different sounds ough can make) and spelling like knife where at one the k wasn't silent but was never removed when it became silent. French once you learn the rules is a lot simpler, as is Spanish.

HibyPrime
10-20-2006, 02:12 AM
But from what I've been told English if you don't grow up with it is very hard to learn because of all the different pronountiations, (otion and ocean, not to mention all the different sounds ough can make) and spelling like knife where at one the k wasn't silent but was never removed when it became silent. French once you learn the rules is a lot simpler, as is Spanish.

Don't forget nearly every word meaning something different depending on where it is used.

I recently switched my keyboard layout to azerty as part of my ongoing attempt to never stop learning (deciding to learn french is probably the biggest part of that so far).

When I first switched it a couple days ago, I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and I ended up typing at about 10 WPM (words per minute). I can already almost type at the same speed I can on a qwerty keyboard, not to mention having access to the french accents MUCH faster.

It's not that adults loose the ability to learn new things easily, they purposely give up the ability to learn things easily by not continually learning new skill sets.

I once changed my computer language to chinese for a day and was just completely lost, but it made me think twice about taking things for granted.

Twitch
10-20-2006, 02:34 AM
^^ Wow AZERTY that's ambitious, I never liked the shift to use the numbers so stuck with the French Canadian, what I have it set at almost all the time now, except when friends use the computer and bitch about it. Not quite as fast as an AZERTY for accents but still decent. And faster for me because it's still a QWERTY keyboard.

HibyPrime
10-20-2006, 02:37 AM
^^ Wow AZERTY that's ambitious, I never liked the shift to use the numbers so stuck with the French Canadian, what I have it set at almost all the time now, except when friends use the computer and bitch about it. Not quite as fast as an AZERTY for accents but still decent. And faster for me because it's still a QWERTY keyboard.

My goal is to beable to switch between the 2 easily. When I do get to that point, then it's a new layout to get used to (if there are anymore latin ones?).

I typed out 2 multiple page emails today, i think my backspace button is going to break soon...

aFrenchie
10-20-2006, 07:49 AM
"Y en a marre" is the abbreviation of "Il y en a marre", meaning "it's enough" indeed. Or at least, it's the best English translation. Literally it's "there's fed up"! Should mean nothing that way for you :). It's a way to apply "fed up" to everybody, like "everybody's fed up".

And you're right, she doesn't sing "oui" just before but something else that I can't catch because of the music/choirs in the background...

garçoncanadien
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
English is hard because it has so many exceptions. French has them too, but nowhere near as many :)

aFrenchie
10-20-2006, 10:21 AM
English is hard because it has so many exceptions. French has them too, but nowhere near as many :)

I'd say the exact opposite! :) English is known as one of the easiest languages by far, with the exception of the pronunciation, still it's not even a big problem. Especially grammar, conjugation are easy as pie compared to any other language. Almost no variant (conjugation), no accord (adjective, articles, etc), not even a gender for each and every noun! :)

Look at this for example (just a conjugation example):

I think
You think
He/She thinks
We think
You think
They think

French:
Je crois
Tu crois
Il/elle croit
Nous croyons
Vous croyez
Ils croient

Not to mention that it's totally different if you use future:
Je croirai
Tu croiras
Il/elle croira
Nous croirons
Vous croirez
Ils croiront

Compare in English:
I will think
You will think
He/She will think
We will think
You will think
They will think

Or pasts (imparfait.... :
Je croyais
Tu croyais
Je croyait
Nous croyions
Vous croyiez
Ils croyaient

...and passé simple):
Je crus
Tu crus
Il/elle crut
Nous crûmes
Vous crûtes
Ils crurent

English (same for both!):
I thought
You thought
He/she thought
We thought
You thought
They thought

Still something totally different in subjonctif, subjonctif futur, subjonctif passé, conditionnel and lots more while there's no change at all in English! And I'm not talking about the 3 different groups of verbs (that vary forms) and all the exceptions!

Talk about an encouragement for you to learn French :D :D

aditya8617
10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree, English is the easiest to learn. I had hard time learning my native language and so always liked reading and writing in English. But I still prefer speaking in my native language as while talking who cares about grammer. Getting back to the point, as aFrenchie mentioned English has simple grammer rules and if one can take care of pronunciation stuff then it is really easy. Also, I think pronunciations in French seem really hard. when I try and read something in French at times it seems easy but when I hear somebody speak the same lines I read my pronunciations are no where even close.

RMJ
10-20-2006, 12:40 PM
French may sound hard at first but if you try to learn Finnish, you will take your words back. :D

And I mean it !

It's fricking insane language... All the conjuctions and other shits... it just makes no sense ! Or well, it does if you understand the logic behind it... But correctly speaking it will take you decades... and still you'd be recognized to be non-native speaker.

For example word "kuka" (who/whom/whose) can have these basic forms:

In singular form:
kuka, kenen, kenet, ketä, kenellä, keneltä, kenelle, kenessä, kenestä, keneen, kenenä, keneksi, kenettä

And plural forms:
ketkä, keiden, ketkä, keitä, keille, keiltä, keille, keissä, keistä, keihin, keinä, keiksi, keittä

And like I said, they were basic forms... You could modify them further like (just singular forms):
kukakohan, kenenköhän, kenetköhän, ketkäköhän, kenelläköhän, keneltäköhän, kenelleköhän, kenessäköhän, kenestköhän, keneenköhän, kenenäköhän, keneksiköhän, kenettäköhän

Which means something like "wonder who", like in " I wonder who he is".

And those rules applies to all nouns. Verbs har their own ways to be formed. 4 tenses, 6 different forms for every tense (for each personal pronoun). That gives 24 basic forms for each verb.

One word can replace whole sentence. For example question:
Taloissanikinko?

It means roughly "[do you mean that] in my houses, too?". It could be written in form "[Tarkoitatko, että] myöskin minun taloissani?"

Word order is somewhat free, you can mix and match as you wish (within certain limits of course). Which makes it's very hard for non-native speakers to understand. And not to mention that spoken Finnish is nothing like written Finnish. Spoken Finnish uses character replacing, word compression, word truncating, word combining... even word replacing... Also, the word order of spoken and written Finnish hardly ever matches.

Finnish has no relation to any other (than Hungary) language in Europe. The closest relative is prolly some Indonesian language, on the other side of the world. And even them doesn't resemble anyway our language. Neat...

aFrenchie
10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
French may sound hard at first but if you try to learn Finnish, you will take your words back. :D I was only comparing French and English :).

Not sure but I think I've heard or read somewhere that the Finnish language has no article. At least, I could have guessed it because each time I read a Finnish person speaking in English, I always notice the lack of articles in many phrases. Do you confirm?

RMJ
10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, we lack definite and indefinite articles.

"a book" = kirja
"the book" = kirja

Altho, you could use in the latter case "se kirja" which literally means "that book".

And yea, we do forgot to use articles time to time. :P I do that all the time. :P

Also, we do not have any feminine/masculine forms of words. Even pronouns: "he" = "hän", "she" = "hän". Ok, maybe exception would be some words that has exceptions adapted from other languages (and most of those words are occupations), like tarjoilijatar = waitress (female), tarjoilija = waiter (male). The -tar is added for female. But in modern Finnish, even that is dropping off little by little. It's very neutral language in that sense, male and female is treaten equally in the language. That may make it sound like easy then but as explained, we have million other rules to replace those. :P

rwd716
10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks for letting me know to never try to learn Finnish. :D

garçoncanadien
10-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Hey aFrenchie, you didn't mention the articles business! Learning when to place a, the, ... is a grand pain in the cul :) Also, English has so many exceptions with pronounciation, like Twitch said with words that contain ough. Thirdly, look for and look at are the same word in English, but in French it is chercher and regarder. That's only one example, but there are many examples of weird stuff in Anglais that takes a long time to get right :)

aFrenchie
10-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Hey aFrenchie, you didn't mention the articles business! Learning when to place a, the, ... is a grand pain in the cul :) Also, English has so many exceptions with pronounciation, like Twitch said with words that contain ough. Thirdly, look for and look at are the same word in English, but in French it is chercher and regarder. That's only one example, but there are many examples of weird stuff in Anglais that takes a long time to get right :)
Of course, English has its own diffculties, but it's always been considered as one of the easiest languages (but not the most) and French one of the hardest (but not the most). Maybe RMJ who learnt both as second languages could tell you himself...

RMJ
10-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, all the languages has their problems. I find French more difficult than English. But in English there's many things that are hard to remember (not hard to understand). English is more straight forward to learn, even tho, it has so much exceptions in grammar. French has more complex grammar in general. And it ain't helping that it has feminine and masculine words, which you simply gotta remember which is which.

Out of all languages that I have learned, Japanese is the easiest to speak. Without a doubt. It took 6 months to become almost fluent in speaking in Japanese. After 15 years of English studies, I'm still not fluent in it. Tho, my Japanese is rusty now since I haven't practiced it at all in year or so. And grammar is very easy. Well, atleast for me... It reminds bit like Finnish with it's flexible word order. Writing and reading is of course somewhat more difficult than European languages. But you quickly catch it, too. Katakanas and hiragana (kanas are syllables) you can learn in couple months and be able to read and write with them. It then just takes rest of the life time to learn all the kanjis (characters that means whole words)...

Swedish I never learned. 6 years of studies for nothing... (well, I didn't even want to learn it but we had to study it...). It's said to be easier than English, tho. But I do not agree with that. Altho, I can understand bit of Swedish, thanks to English. But I could not survive if my life would depend on Swedish skills... :) But the little I know about it, helps me to understand Dutch. Altho, my vocabulary is so small that I couldn't write one sentence in it... But I can understand little bit it when reading. Dutch is like mixture of French, English and Swedish.

Spanish looks kinda like French, to me, and it has about the same learning curve, I think. French might be harder tho, at long run. Italian seems to be the easiest of romance languages. At least it's much easier to pronounce for me than anything else (especially French is hard), and I can actually hear what they are saying ! Tho, I don't know anything about Italian grammar... Translating from Italy to English is very hard, tho. I'd say that it's even harder than from French to English. Altho, I'm not very good at either one. :)

Mozaik
10-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Finnish has no relation to any other (than Hungary) language in Europe.

I'm happy couse you didn't forget us! :p In the school I've learned and heard many times, that the Hungarian and the Finnish languages are relatives.
Hungarian is supposedly one of the most complicated languages... Just one thing, what's much easier then English, German, French: we have one present, one past and one future, that's all. :D

Cooney
10-20-2006, 09:03 PM
The thing that gets me with French is definitely all the conjugations for the different tenses. Hearing it spoken, or speaking it myself, doesn't cause me quite so many problems, because so many of the different spellings are pronounced the same way, or at least so similarly, that it's hard to notice the difference in casual conversation. Six or seven years ago, when I was still in highschool, I was able to get a free tour of a temple in China by following the back of a French tour group and listening to what the guide was saying - I was both surprised and pleased to find I could understand that much. I still have trouble reading highschool level writing though, when I see it.

I could probably get by in France speaking what I have right now (though I'd definitely want a dictionary for an extended visit), but if I had to try and write messages to be understood, I would be in deep trouble.

I think the reason I like Alizée's songs from a sheerly academic perspective as well as otherwise is because they simultaneously use relatively simple language I can understand (being pop songs), but have a lot of double entendres and word quibbles that make it a challenge to keep the same meaning when I translate. ACC is the song that really hooked me in to her world, for precisely that meaning, and now I look for it everywhere :-)