PDA

View Full Version : New Server

Ben
06-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi guys. We moved to a new (much cheaper) server today. Let me know if you encounter any bugs. The video section is down for now. Sad to see it go, it was the reason this site was created, but Aaronius31 has volunteered to upload youtube videos to replace it. :cool:

Cruzier
06-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank You! The Site Loads Much Faster Now When Surfing The Forums.

rcs
06-04-2011, 08:10 PM
:eek: Videos?!...

*starts having withdrawals*

DannyMac524
06-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Will there be an Alizée photo gallery? I miss having a resource of her pictures.

Ben
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Will there be an Alizée photo gallery? I miss having a resource of her pictures.
Good question. I might look into starting a new gallery, but one thing that won't happen is any attempt to restore the old one. The database and files were a complete mess, and I didn't even try to move them over. Sorry.

Merci Alizée
06-05-2011, 06:18 AM
So far there doesn't seem to be any problem. Even though the video section is gone now, but moving to new server was much better option.

I'm looking forward for changes with the site.

Ben, do you have any thought about upgrading the forum software from vB 3 to vB 4?

DrSmith
06-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Now I keep clicking Podcast instead of Forums. D:

Oh, here's an idea. Maybe even a good idea. (maybe not) Would it be a good idea to keep the Videos button at the top of the page and have it link to the YouTube channel ?

Merci Alizée
06-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Oh, here's an idea. Maybe even a good idea. (maybe not) Would it be a good idea to keep the Videos button at the top of the page and have it link to the YouTube channel ?

Which youtube channel?

DrSmith
06-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Whichever channel the videos from AAm are being uploaded to.

woohoo
06-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I think there is just an AAM youtube channel but I know there is a channel for AVOM, which kind of died.

Ben
06-05-2011, 01:48 PM
I think there will be multiple youtube channels, so we don't loose everything if one gets shuts down for copyright reasons. I might add the header link back, though, and have it point to a forum thread or something where everything is listed.

Ben, do you have any thought about upgrading the forum software from vB 3 to vB 4?
It's something I've been meaning to look into... though there are a few other things I need to take care of first (like email accounts, etc.) before the old server closes out at the end of the month.

VVVACCPLPNLY
06-05-2011, 02:18 PM
thanks for the update, ben! :)
i agree, the site is much faster. and i never really used the videos here. i know it's more meant for new people, but uh, i'm sure they've seen a lot before coming here anyways. we'll survive, i'm sure!

DannyMac524
06-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I like the suggestion to have a button to link to Alizée's YouTube Vid's.

Chuck
06-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Man, that was a seamless transition if I ever didn't see one. Great job, Ben! Looks like you didn't lose any of us, or our long-winded histories, or any other bits of the glorious minutiae that had accumulated here. Thank goodness! :D

(And the forum calendar is still stuck on last December, like it was before, by the way ;) )

But Again, Congratulations! I woulda been sweating buckets, but I bet you even kept your wig on during the whole process.

User22
06-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Like Ben said, there are about 3 host Youtube channels we are using for the uploads and I'll add a fourthfor the long interviews.

So I don't know if he'll make the Youtube Video-embedded Video Section, or if we'll just cram em in a thread...and I like the first idea so our comps won't die haha.

DrSmith
06-06-2011, 02:25 PM
A couple people said the site is faster… Maybe this is just on my end, but it seems slower if anything.

Ben
06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Technically the new server is a little slower. But I cleared out a lot of junk in the move, so that could make things smoother. To be honest, I don't think there should be a big difference either way, and I don't see one myself. We're just more efficient and cost-effective behind the scenes now. :)

OGRE
06-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks Ben. Not just for letting us know, but also for keeping it all together.

ferb96
06-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Oh man the video section was so great :( I fell in love with Alizee there. Please can anyone show me some YouTube AAm (or as far as I know it's been inactive for months now) ??

I didn't see any difference in the speed. But anyway thanks ben. Mastering a site is not an easy job ^^

Oh and btw I love the embed Les Collines on the homepage :P

rcs
06-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Anyway, I could get my old gallery back. This time I'll put it on my external HD.

User22
06-10-2011, 12:59 AM
A couple people said the site is faster… Maybe this is just on my end, but it seems slower if anything.

Eh, seems much faster on my end...

Maybe VVV's lawn ninjas are getting into your internet line again...

But hey thanks again Ben for getting us to the new (very quick) server so fast! Really appreciate it (especially since that mess of a gallery is indeed gone)!

Edit:

Oh and btw, the LC MV on the home page looks great :D