PDA

View Full Version : A deeper digression of "Moi... Lolita"

Taxi Driver Aaron
10-02-2011, 04:49 AM
This is the translation I have managed to make up from various translations of "Moi... Lolita" with some digression of idioms and underlying meanings.

Also note that part of a successful translation entails using English words that sustain the original French meaning while making sense in English (and staying as poetic as possible). Lets face it, exact translations with words such as "I have at that" does not make sense and is not poetic.

Anyway... here is what I have found .. I don't speak French though, so someone that understands French will have to tell me if it is off or if it is B.S.

Me, my name is Lolita
Lo or just Lola
It's all the same really
Me, my name is Lolita
When I dream of wolves
It's Lola who's bleeding
When my tongue slips, I have
A crazy laugh(1), as crazy(2)
As a phenomenon
Me, my name is Lolita
Lo for life, Lo for a diluvial love

It's not my fault
And when I give my tongue to the cat(3)(3a)
I see the others
All ready to throw themselves at me
It's not my fault, not mine
If I hear all around me
Hello, helli, you're a (L.O.L.I.T.A.)
I'm Lolita

Me, my name is Lolita
A school-girl in stockings(4)
The color of methylene blue [stockings](5)
Me, my name is Lolita
Quick-tempered and not
Half cotton half wool(6)
Lips sealed not to tell
To Mom I'm a phenomenon
Me, my name is Lolita [as a phenomenon]

***Repeat Refrain (x2)***
It's not my fault
I see the others
If I hear all around me
I'm Lolita

***LO - LI - TA (x8)***

***Repeat Refrain (x4)***
It's not my fault
I see the others
If I hear all around me
I'm Lolita

1. A laughing fit
2. Line can also translate to "I am insane, I laugh insane"
3. French idiom meaning to give up (guessing)
3a. Line can also translate to "And if I don't know what to do anymore"
4. OR school girl from the waist down; hence 'student below'
5. Blue can also mean blue in French; it is the color of innocense (in France)
6. "Mi-laine Mi-coton" is a nickname for Mylene - Mylene Farmer wrote the song

Scruffydog777
10-02-2011, 05:50 AM
It's pretty close to what I've understood it to be.
The part where it says Collegienne aux bas, I thought meant Student below, in other words underneath this Lolita is really a student.

Then Bleus de methylene I thought meant blue jeans.
Motus et bouche qui n'dis pas a mama que je suis un phenomene, is pretty close to what you have. Quiet and with a mouth that doesn't tell mama that I'm a phenom.

Some other small differences
Instead of It's Lola who's bleeding............it's Lola who bleeds
When my tongue slips............when I have a slip of the tongue

As far as note 3..............chats is I believe plural for cats. Of the several interpretations I've read, the one I believe is the one that says that cats represents other Lolitas, that I guess are freinds of hers. As to what the whole sentence means, you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Bigdan
10-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Me, my name is Lolita
Lo or just Lola
It's all the same really
Me, my name is Lolita
When I dream of wolves (A)
It's Lola who's bleeding
When my tongue slips, I have
A crazy laugh(1), as crazy(2)
As a phenomenon
Me, my name is Lolita
Lo for life, Lo for a diluvial love (B)

It's not my fault
I see the others
If I hear all around me
I'm Lolita

Me, my name is Lolita
A school-girl in stockings(4)
The color of methylene blue [stockings](5)
Me, my name is Lolita
Quick-tempered and not
Half cotton half wool(6)
Lips sealed not to tell (C)
To Mom I'm a phenomenon
Me, my name is Lolita [as a phenomenon]

***Repeat Refrain (x2)***
It's not my fault
I see the others
If I hear all around me
I'm Lolita

***LO - LI - TA (x8)***

***Repeat Refrain (x4)***
It's not my fault
I see the others
If I hear all around me
I'm Lolita

1. A laughing fit
2. Line can also translate to "I am insane, I laugh insane"
3. French idiom meaning to give up (guessing) Yes.But you could also see a hotter meaning.
3a. Line can also translate to "And if I don't know what to do anymore"
True. But not relevant, here I think.
4. OR school girl from the waist down; hence 'student below' - wrong
5. Blue can also mean blue in French; it is the color of innocense (in France)
The good translation must be " A school-girl with methylene blue stockings"

6. "Mi-laine Mi-coton" is a nickname for Mylene - Mylene Farmer wrote the song. True

A. "wolf" is generally a symbol for the first male lover, in french language, and specialy in Mylene Farmer world.

B."LO de vie" is a trick between the sound of "Lo" and " L'eau" ( the water). Then "Lo de vie" sound like " L'eau de vie" (alcohol).Its also work with the adjective " diluvial", that refer to water.

C That's a hard one. "Motus et bouche..." are the first words of" Motus et bouche cousue !" which means " keep it under your hat!"

Taxi Driver Aaron
10-02-2011, 04:16 PM
A. "wolf" is generally a symbol for the first male lover, in french language, and specialy in Mylene Farmer world.

B."LO de vie" is a trick between the sound of "Lo" and " L'eau" ( the water). Then "Lo de vie" sound like " L'eau de vie" (alcohol).Its also work with the adjective " diluvial", that refer to water.

C That's a hard one. "Motus et bouche..." are the first words of" Motus et bouche cousue !" which means " keep it under your hat!"

Hey thanks for the corrections Bigdan! I am updating the lyrics on my iPod :D

I have noticed that the line "Motus et bouche..." has given many translated versions of this song some trouble. Now that I know it is the beginning part of "keeping it under your hat" I suppose the English translation can simpy be "Don't tell anyone" as it keeps the poetry flowing with "Phenomenon."

Euphoria
10-23-2011, 03:46 PM
This song is absolutely rampant with sexual references. This is probably the best translation of the song that I've seen and it's explained quite thoroughly. Please keep in mind that this song was written before Alizee was on board with Mylene Farmer. It is absolutely not a representation of Alizee whatsoever.

01. My name is Lolita
02. Lo or even Lola
03. it's all the same
04. My name is Lolita
05. When wolves ravish my dreams,
06. it's Lola who bleeds
07. When my tongue slips,
08. I let out such a wild giggle
09. A wild little Phenomenon
10. My name is Lolita
11. Aqua vitae, Deluge of Love

12. It's not my fault!
13. Even when I stop trying
14. I see them all
15. ready to spurt on me
16. It's not my fault,
17. if all around me I hear
18. "L. O. L. I. T. A."
19. Me, Lolita...

20. My name is Lolita
21. Schoolgirl in stockings
22. dyed methylene blue
23. My name is Lolita
24. Hot-blooded, or not;
25. Partly-cotton, or partly-wool
26. Secretive lips that hide
27. from mom that
28. I am a Phenomenon
29. My name is Lolita
30. Aqua vitae, Deluge of Love

The Definitive Footnotes:

Lines 1-4: Direct reference to Ch. 1 in Lolita.

Line 5: In French, saying "Elle a vu le loup" implies that she has lost her virginity (or "deflowered" as Greg says...hehe). Here, the literal translation would go something like "When I dream of wolves...." The word "ravishes" plays on both these ideas, for it has a primary meaning of consumption (i.e., the wolves consume her sleep), and a delicious secondary meaning of "deflowerment." Beautiful. Just beautiful!

Line 6: Again in reference to defilement, the bleeding is a cause of the first penetration. Don't know if there is a non-sexual meaning for this line...

Lines 7-9: There is a great play on "f" sounds here in the French version that is simply impossible to capture in a translation. The basic idea behind these lines is the fact that she is a tease, and she knows she is. For me, the French "fourche ma langue" always evokes an image of a forked snake tongue, which leads naturally to temptation. She tempts men (older men...Humbert Humbert, to be exact) with her half-child, half-adult ways, almost drawing them in and then retreating in fit of giggles and laughter; she understands her power, and she loves playing with it.

Line 8-9: To play on sounds in the French is "reproduced" with a play on words in these two lines with "wild." (This translation is deep, I tell ya!). The word "Phenomenon" here is capitalized to detract from the primary meaning of "phenomenon"; that is, she is not a phenomenon in the precise sense of the word. Rather than the singular miracle that the word suggests, we strive here for a reference to the fact that she is a wild nymphet.

Line 11: This line in translation is simply beautiful. No other way to put it. To understand the meaning, we must look at the French: "Lo de vie, lo aux amours diluviennes." The first phrase carries three primary meanings: (1) the traditional translation of "Lo of life," or "Lo is life"; (2) a play on "Lo" as "l'eau de vie," giving a sense of the fact she is the spring water of life ("water of life," Biblical references, etc.); and (3) "eau-de-vie," as in a cognac, meaning that her effect is one of light-headed alcoholic pleasure. The second phrase ("lo aux amours diluviennes") carries two primary meanings: (1) "diluviennes" implies "torrential," so there is an unrestrained, overflowing, abundance of love for her; and (2) there is such a "torrent" of this feeling that it is in fact deadly (i.e., Humbert Humbert committing murder out of jealousy). Finally, there is a play between the two phrases with their water imagery. Here, "Aqua vitae" refers both to an alcoholic beverage, as well as (literally from the Latin translation) "water of life." The word "deluge" captures the two meanings mentioned previously of the second phrase, adhering to the water allusions. Finally, the word "aqua" ("water") plays beautifully with the word "deluge." Beautiful!

Line 12: Oh but it is your fault! Hehe. This emphatic renouncement of her power actually affirms it. Connects back to lines 7-9.

Line 13: The word "chat(te)" is the French word for cat, and just like in English the word "pussy (cat)" carries a dirty connotation to the female reproductive system, it is likewise in French. Note here, though, the word is "chat" instead of "chatte." The phrase "Quand je donne ma langue aux chats" is an idiomatic expression that means "When I stop trying to get an answer" or "When I don't get an answer." Literally, it translates as "When I give my tongue to the cat," from which, after making a slight leap to a frame of vulgarity, we obtain a very nice possible lesbian reference. (You figure out the rest).

Lines 14-15: One of my proudest lines of translation, "se jette" means not only to throw, but also to eject (as in a man ejecting his manliness...hehe). The word "spurt" is great, cause it carries both these meanings, with the latter one probably stronger than the former (just the way I like it!).

Line 16: The "à moi" gives a nice emphasis reproduced here. It is similar to line 12, but carries it a bit further; she knows very well it is her fault (...that little nymphet!).

Line 18: Reference to Ch. 1 on Lolita. Possible reference to Serge Gainsbourg.

Line 21: This is primary translation--knee-high schoolgirl stockings. However, there is also the possibility for a secondary translation. We can translate "collegienne" as an "inexperienced person," "en bas" as "down below," and we arrive at "inexperienced down below." This makes a nice reference to her childish, pure, virgin state.

Line 22: "Hot-blooded" here as both a fiery temper and as a fiery, passionate aura.

Lines 22-23: These two lines capture her half-childish, half-adult state, playing back onto "c'est pas ma faute," as well as lines 7 and 8. Here, she is saying, "I can be hot-tempered, or not; it's my choice, my whim." Many people translate "mi-coton, mi-laine" as "half-cotton, half-wool," and use it to describe her sexy schoolgirl stockings. To me, that sounds illogical due to it's placement in the song. Rather, it is more of a reflexion on the idea expressed in the previous line. She is partly like cotton (fuzzy, soft), yet partly like wool (itchy, irritating); and she can change on a whim. Finally, "mi-laine" in the French makes a nice reference to Mylène.

Lines 26-28: "Motus a bouche" being an idiomatic expression for "hush, hush!," we have here a reference to (1) Lolita's mom is oblivious to the power her daughter wields, and (2) the secret "relationship" that Lolita has with Humbert Humbert (Ch. 12-13, for example). Here, I took a little liberty to add a sexual reference of my own in "secretive lips." I'm not sure if "lips" can be used to describe the female reproductive system as in Spanish, but the reference here in English is clear (and justified--she is bound to feel pleasure from her actions as a nymphet, pleasure to which her mother is oblivious).

Credit: The Honorable on M.F. International, link here (http://www.mf-international.com/viewtopic.php?t=1690&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0).

Taxi Driver Aaron
10-25-2011, 10:39 PM
I saw that breakdown before, good post.

I have heartburn with translating line 25 to English even though I did it myself, because it is a nick name... it should probably stay as "Mi-laine Mi-coton"

Roullette
12-18-2011, 05:38 PM
To give ones tongue to the cats is an idiom for to give up. Lolita was the name given to a character who was the intrest of pedophiles in a well known frencn book. Her song j'en ai marre is also full of double entrendre and puns.
Marrer means to laugh, but j'en ai marre to be fed up comes from marrer, marir related to the person who harvested the grain as in rakes with a hoe.

Moi lolita obviously is a and continuation. I mpersonal opion is that is a more blatant tease like Spears saying 'hit me baby one more time", and acting like she was not hinting or that only a perv would get something sexual out of it.
Then she sings " not a girl not yet a woman"

Taxi Driver Aaron
01-18-2012, 02:34 AM
To give ones tongue to the cats is an idiom for to give up. Lolita was the name given to a character who was the intrest of pedophiles in a well known frencn book. Her song j'en ai marre is also full of double entrendre and puns.
Marrer means to laugh, but j'en ai marre to be fed up comes from marrer, marir related to the person who harvested the grain as in rakes with a hoe.

Moi lolita obviously is a and continuation. I mpersonal opion is that is a more blatant tease like Spears saying 'hit me baby one more time", and acting like she was not hinting or that only a perv would get something sexual out of it.
Then she sings " not a girl not yet a woman"

good observation... thanks for the input!