PDA

View Full Version : Music for my wedding

awkward Turtle
07-27-2012, 08:11 PM
I am getting married in a few weeks and over the years I have managed to convert my soon to be wife from somebody who despised Alizée as "that French chick he is way too into" into a begrudged Alizée fan. The En Concert DVD helped a lot with that.

I am currently in the process of picking music to play at the reception and I want to know what the community's views are on good Alizée songs to play at a wedding. I think we are going to make sure that there are at least three or four, enough to enjoy them and expose people but not too much so that we overwhelm people or weird them out with all the French music.

Let me know what you think would be the best to play! Remember, they need to be something people can dance to and enjoy.

alizeefan
07-27-2012, 09:21 PM
What an interesting question ! Unfortunately i've found when people don't understand something like a foreign language they fear it and depending on the maturity and their understanding may dislike it without giving it a chance . The old what the %^#$ is this ? Questioning . . . Being a festive get together that is easily overcome . Play your favorite songs as most important is your wife is o k with your selections , be SURE !
It's yall's wedding not ours or your guests besides requests . No matter what you play if you are enjoying it and dancing then others will follow right along with you .

People can dance to anything , especially if you get them into it by dancing .
Again my request is to play your favorite songs and be a dancing fool with your wife alot as well some guests . Congratulations !

Scruffydog777
07-28-2012, 03:41 AM
First of all, congratulations on two fronts. First in getting married, second on converting your wife to your religion (the order of Alizee that is)

Kind of interesting this should come up now. I can't remember if I posted this story here or if I e-mailed it to a freind but I'll relate it again either way.

A couple of weeks ago I recieved an invitation to a wedding for my cousin's daughter. On it they asked the recipient to request a song. Now I've always been close to my cousin's family. He has 2 daughters and a son. About 3 years ago, all of them were in college. I drove up to Canada with the son, and joined the rest of my cousin's family at his father's house for a short vacation.

One day I was playing cards down stairs with the older members of the family. I had my laptop out and I was showing them some Alizee videos. The kids (20s) were upstairs playing a game. They (the three kids and the older girls boyfreind) came down stairs to freshen thier drinks. Well Amelie just happened to be playing on my laptop. They recognized the name Amelie and it turns out, all of them had seen the movie, three of them on different occassions.

Getting back to the invitation and the song request, I wanted to request a song that wouldn't be inappropriate for the wedding. I thought Amelie would be good, because it's in English and it's a good happy story. I thought to e-mail the mother to see what she thought and she e-mailed me back that the movie Amelie was the favorite movie of the sister of the bride to be, so I'm hopeful that it will be played.

Last year I had gone to a family wedding and I had asked that Alizee's version of La Isla Bonita be played and they didn't play her version, but I think either of these songs would be good for a wedding in this country. A French song might seem out of place, but I think both of these songs would fit in very well.

The only problem with La Isla Bonita is it's sung in front of an audience and at times you hear the audience clapping and cheering which might be a drawback.
On the invitation, next to where I wrote in the song I requested, I also said that I could supply a cd 's go with the song on it.

If you were to play a French song, I'd have to choose ACC. It has a great beat and there are a lot of words in it that can be understood by any Enlgish speaking person. As far as it being appropriate that probably depends on whether your relationship goes against the current in any way.

awkward Turtle
07-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, I do remember reading your story, Scruffy. I know people might be a little put off by French songs, which is why we are limiting them, but a lot of the music I listen to is French, so at my wedding some will be played. Our first dance is going to be a version of La Vie en Rose by Édith Piaf that has the first verse in French and then the second in English, so I feel that will somewhat warm people up to it by first showing them the French and then showing them how beautiful the lyrics to the song are in English.

As for Alizée songs, we were thinking 50/60 and JEAM so far. We thought about ACC because it is probably my favorite of her songs, but JEAM is a bit more danceable. I think if the French songs are spread throughout the evening, people won't be bothered by them.

Amelie might work too, I will have to think about that one.

Fall
07-28-2012, 02:24 PM
If I remember right, Rictor once said he would like Eden Eden to be played at his wedding :D I liked the idea (still do), maybe you could play that one as well, obviously as a slow-dance kind of number. As for other songs, Lilly Town is pretty danceable, and I agree that ÀCC is also a great choice.

Also, congrats dude!!!! All the best to you guys :)

DrSmith
07-28-2012, 04:53 PM
The only problem with La Isla Bonita is it's sung in front of an audience and at times you hear the audience clapping and cheering which might be a drawback.

Somebody didn't buy Psychédélices Mexican Tour Edition. :banned:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5O-FQ69-cs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/I5O-FQ69-cs (http://youtu.be/I5O-FQ69-cs)

Taxi Driver Aaron
07-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I think that one of the things to be cognizant of when exposing people to foreign music is how it sounds to them for the very first time. People are not going to be able to understand the lyrics or the meaning of the song and you both will, but they will hear and understand the melody, tempo, and feelings that conveyed through the music.

With that said... a happy song with a mellow melody will probably not be a good idea... conversely, you can have a provocative break-up song that sounds happy for your first dance and you might even be able to pull it off! ha ha ha...

Anyway.. with that in mind.. here are my suggestion...

La Javanaise (Monaco 2008 Version) - by Alizée ... This is Alizée doing a cover of a classic French song... however it is the best version, in my eyes of that song! It may also be recognizable to some of the guests. I posted a video of it below but you can find audio with the clapping at the end and everything edited out... you'd have to endure clapping in the beginning but that's no biggie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WP9LYD_Am4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5O-FQ69-cs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry but... live version was better.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zqySOwqRumw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Scruffydog777
07-28-2012, 11:38 PM

I really don't like that version of that song.

Taxi Driver Aaron
07-29-2012, 12:31 AM

Amen Scruff! .... don't get me wrong.. I love her voice and I like the song.. but not that version.. Plus I firmly believe that she was coached to sing a version to make it her own... I like the cover better!

Rev
07-29-2012, 03:50 AM

Amen Scruff! .... don't get me wrong.. I love her voice and I like the song.. but not that version.. Plus I firmly believe that she was coached to sing a version to make it her own... I like the cover better!

Of all the songs she created new versions for, this is the one I like the best - at least this recording of it. Some of the others I often have to turn off - they simply do not do justice to the songs. :)

Azhiri
07-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Congratulations on getting married!! :wub:

As far as dance-able songs, I think her most dancy song is Moi... Lolita, but that might not be suitable for a wedding, haha. Gourmandises is also very easy to dance to, so that might be an option to consider.

Definitely consider Eden, Eden if you need a song for a slow dance! That song is great. Lui ou Toi as well. :)

Scruffydog777
07-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Congratulations on getting married!! :wub:

As far as dance-able songs, I think her most dancy song is Moi... Lolita, but that might not be suitable for a wedding, haha. Gourmandises is also very easy to dance to, so that might be an option to consider.

Definitely consider Eden, Eden if you need a song for a slow dance! That song is great. Lui ou Toi as well. :)

Gourmandises is a great choice. That lively part on the piano I think would be a great motivator for people to get up and dance, plus I think the subject matter is very appropriate for 2 people who will be going on a honeymoon.

However I think the subject of Lou ou Toi may not be appropriate. Might make people think "If he is Lou, who is Toi?".

awkward Turtle
07-29-2012, 01:05 PM
I love Gourmandises and I am considering using either it or ACC instead of JEAM.

I just looked up Lui ou toi with subtitles and, while it is a beautiful song, it really doesn't strike me as wedding appropriate. Even if nobody else knows what it means, I will and my wife will.

Euphoria
07-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Pshhh, you can play anything you want at your wedding. I went to a reception once where they played Pour Some Sugar on Me.

VVVACCPLPNLY
07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
ugh i wish other people here watched rvb... cause LIB always makes me want to quote srg... but u guys wouldnt get it!!! UGH. -_- im the only cool one here... and im not a hipster btw, lol its been around since like 2004!
anyways, i really like the studio version. the sound of it is more appropriate for a wedding. and i certainly wouldnt want the crowd effects playing, what with the clapping and such. and the beat is much less powerful so it won't sound right over a loud speaker. you couldnt feel it. yes, the live vocals were LIGHTYEARS better, and her accent isnt as harsh, but you need that beat to dance. idk if i will play her songs at my wedding, but i wouldnt choose the live LIB. i'll probably let my gf choose all our songs. because we've barely been dating a month, but already she's talking about marriage... themes and everything... i mean, i like to live in the fast lane, and find the rituals of courtship trivial and time consuming, and i love to just start a relationship out the gate, but marriage might take a minute to get used to. anyways, congrats dude, i hope you and your wife live happily ever after; cliche as it sounds. and uh... are we invited? ;)

Edit:

Pshhh, you can play anything you want at your wedding. I went to a reception once where they played Pour Some Sugar on Me.

probably one of my mom's. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! lol no seriously though she has had that played at one of them, im sure of it... but considering shes on her 6th marriage, remembering WHICH is kinda difficult. as well as a host of other def leaopard. and firehouse. shoot... i agree with you. imll play this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0) at mine just cuz it would be funny as hell for me to lay under her legs and have her hipthrust above me or vice-versa like that video.

Scruffydog777
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Have you considered any of her remixes?

alizeefan
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Totally agree ^ as my point above play whatever you want don't worry about the songs lyrics maybe sending messages . The only message being sent that will matter is you and your wife to be are having a good time .

All though Def Leppard . . . wouldn't be on my list lol .
More appropriate for a Kool Aid commercial .

As for the above remarks on applause being in a song and people not liking that , i fail to grasp why that would be a problem for anyone ? ? ?

My first thought for dance songs was the Benny Benassi remix .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fDGxTAqaA

Again i suggest pick whatever songs you both like don't be so concerned with us or your guests . While taking suggestions is fine they're to be taken lightly , it is your day not ours or guests .

Ray4AJ
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Whatever you choose, it couldn't hurt to have a couple little cards printed up and available that give some links to some youtube vids of her. Maybe even a few dvds to pass out for anyone interested. Who cares whether it's appropriate at a wedding to pass out stuff?

alizeefan
07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Whatever you choose, it couldn't hurt to have a couple little cards printed up and available that give some links to some youtube vids of her. Maybe even a few dvds to pass out for anyone interested. Who cares whether it's appropriate at a wedding to pass out stuff?

Great suggestion , the last few weddings i've been to they gave out CD's with the songs played and a nice cover to match the wedding theme .

Taxi Driver Aaron
07-29-2012, 05:48 PM
My first thought for dance songs was the Benny Benassi remix .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fDGxTAqaA

That is one of my favs as well! I hope more remixes like that are made in the future... there is so much potential to make these types of remixes in all of her music.

However, I don't think the content is really good for a wedding though... Like Moi...Lolita, it is perfect for the club though! :D

Edit:

Here is another suggestion...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_um0-aE9qEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

awkward Turtle
07-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Pshhh, you can play anything you want at your wedding.

Try telling that to the mother of the bride.

I have considered them, they are a lot of fun and there are some that I enjoy as much as her normal songs. However, when listening to them back to back I felt that the remixes gave too much of a club vibe that would be more appropriate at a bar or party than a wedding reception whereas the normal versions of the songs were plenty danceable and probably would be more widely liked.

Taxi Driver Aaron
07-29-2012, 10:26 PM
how about Mon Taxi Driver ... :D

vivealizee
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Music ... don't know, Fifty Sixty..?
But I have a great name suggestion for your firstborn child :P

MYGOGT
07-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I know, long time no posts, sorry all.
Anyways, my daughter and I used Parler Tout Bas for our father-daughter dance. It was very well received. Congrats on your wedding !

Fall
07-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Welcome back MYGOGT!!
Parler Tout Bas and Mon Taxi Driver are great suggestions :)

How's the wedding preparations coming along Turtle?

awkward Turtle
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
How's the wedding preparations coming along Turtle?

They are coming along slowly. We have been engaged and sort of planning for 2 years, but now that we are only a few weeks away we are in full swing planning and we still keep finding new things that need to be done or resolved. It feels like a full time job right now. Simply flying to Vegas and eloping would have probably been a lot easier, and cheaper.

As for the songs that will be played, we are leaving most of that to the DJ, but I am doing 50/60 for sure, probably JEAM or Gourmandises, and À cause de l'automne because my fiancée really likes that one and I am excited for the new album.

Taxi Driver Aaron
07-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Alizée - Par les paupières

may not be a bad... it's more of an abstract song, though, but the lyrics can be interpreted to anything...

Edit:

They are coming along slowly. We have been engaged and sort of planning for 2 years, but now that we are only a few weeks away we are in full swing planning and we still keep finding new things that need to be done or resolved. It feels like a full time job right now. Simply flying to Vegas and eloping would have probably been a lot easier, and cheaper.

As for the songs that will be played, we are leaving most of that to the DJ, but I am doing 50/60 for sure, probably JEAM or Gourmandises, and À cause de l'automne because my fiancée really likes that one and I am excited for the new album.

À cause de l'automne is a breakup song though...

awkward Turtle
07-31-2012, 04:34 AM
À cause de l'automne is a breakup song though...

This is why I come to you guys, I don't speak French. Thanks for the warning.

Scruffydog777
07-31-2012, 08:16 AM
I still think a remix might not be a bad option, but you would not to trim a lot off of it. A 7 minute song would be way too long imo. But you could trim one down to about 3 1/2.

One song you might want to consider is the one where someone did a great job of combining the English of I'm not twenty with the French of J'ai pas vingt ans. I added video to it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vucEZU2XmpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome back Keith!!!!!!!!!!

Taxi Driver Aaron
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
I still think a remix might not be a bad option, but you would not to trim a lot off of it. A 7 minute song would be way too long imo. But you could trim one down to about 3 1/2.

One song you might want to consider is the one where someone did a great job of combining the English of I'm not twenty with the French of J'ai pas vingt ans. I added video to it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vucEZU2XmpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome back Keith!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!.... problem is the song is about not being tied down... not a good wedding song.

alizeefan
07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd bet the DJ plays songs that people here wouldn't consider appropriate , ya'll are overthinking things . A good song is a good song , what it is about shouldn't matter .
Also haven't you ever thought a song meant something then years later thought it meant something completely different or the opposite ?

Ya could always use some instrumental versions of her songs too !

Taxi Driver Aaron
07-31-2012, 11:42 PM
I'd bet the DJ plays songs that people here wouldn't consider appropriate , ya'll are overthinking things . A good song is a good song , what it is about shouldn't matter .
Also haven't you ever thought a song meant something then years later thought it meant something completely different or the opposite ?

Ya could always use some instrumental versions of her songs too !

The DJ only plays the songs that the wedding party approves of. And no... it is not over thinking things. I've been to 6 weddings... that's how it's done.

alizeefan
08-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Hey Mister DJ put a record on i wanna dance with my baby .

As for the songs that will be played, we are leaving most of that to the DJ,

At all the weddings i've been to and been in the DJ takes requests . .

The DJ only plays the songs that the wedding party approves of. And no... it is not over thinking things. I've been to 6 weddings... that's how it's done.

Just because you drove people to 6 weddings in your taxi doesn't make you an expert !

Music - makes the people come together !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdz2oW0NMFk

Taxi Driver Aaron
08-01-2012, 01:06 AM
At all the weddings i've been to and been in the DJ takes requests . .

Just because you drove people to 6 weddings in your taxi doesn't make you an expert !

The DJ takes requests... but what the DJ can play is still limited by what the wedding party allows. Some wedding parties don't limit the DJ and in that case then, yes, you can play just about anything. But in most weddings there's a "do not play list" or a "play only" list that limits the DJs ... and don't be jealous of my expertise!

awkward Turtle
08-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Yes, DJs take requests, but the DJ at our wedding gives us the final say. We submit before hand a few lists, the first are songs that must be played, the second are songs that we would like played, and the third are songs that no matter how many people request them will never be played. We filled the third list with songs about break ups and stalking because we don't want them at our wedding, no matter how popular or danceable they are. For example, I love the song "I will survive" and I even have great memories dancing to it at my high school prom with my current fiancée (we didn't go together but I stole her from her date for that song) but we aren't allowing that song to be played at our wedding because we feel the message isn't wedding appropriate.

On a completely different note, thanks for that upload Scruffy. I love the way they melded the English and French versions together and it is a great remix, I just listened to it about 8 times straight through on repeat. However, I do have to agree with Taxi Driver Aaron that the song is not really wedding appropriate, which is why I never really considered even the original version of the song.

alizeefan
08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
The DJ takes requests... but what the DJ can play is still limited by what the wedding party allows. Some wedding parties don't limit the DJ and in that case then, yes, you can play just about anything. But in most weddings there's a "do not play list" or a "play only" list that limits the DJs ... and don't be jealous of my expertise!

The more you try to control things the more out of control they will be .

Yin and Yang kinda thang .

Impossible to include every single song which may not be what some of you here or guests there wouldn't consider wedding appropriate . Perhaps in some views - unfortunately - it is guaranteed there will be songs played which half the people find wedding inappropriate , fortunately the other half of the people will enjoy all the songs no matter what is played because they are there to have a good time celebrating the event not the music titles and lyrics .

As awkward Turtle wrote above too much to worry about and plan already .
Which is why people hire a DJ instead of having to add to those tasks by planning and programming many hours of music . Also you want your guests to request and get all crazy dancing to favorite songs no matter the song title or lyrics subjects as it adds to the fun .

Yes, DJs take requests, but the DJ at our wedding gives us the final say.

DJ won't ask ya'll about every single song before it is played .
As i said above the more you try to control things the less control you will have and worry for nothing .

We submit before hand a few lists, the first are songs that must be played, the second are songs that we would like played, and the third are songs that no matter how many people request them will never be played. We filled the third list with songs about break ups and stalking because we don't want them at our wedding, no matter how popular or danceable they are. For example, I love the song "I will survive" and I even have great memories dancing to it at my high school prom with my current fiancée (we didn't go together but I stole her from her date for that song) but we aren't allowing that song to be played at our wedding because we feel the message isn't wedding appropriate.

On a completely different note, thanks for that upload Scruffy. I love the way they melded the English and French versions together and it is a great remix, I just listened to it about 8 times straight through on repeat. However, I do have to agree with Taxi Driver Aaron that the song is not really wedding appropriate, which is why I never really considered even the original version of the song.

Your guests surely know this story of I Will Survive - correct ?

One would think they will request it be played if not for nostalgia but the humor alone . I have to insist you reconsider to play it now ! It's a great song played at many a wedding !! To add mostly it's a BIG part of your lives !

The message of all music is a feeling that ya get when listening makes you enjoy it , this whole idea of appropriate or not because of the lyrics or title sorry to say i find ridiculous . Now yes above i laughed about Def Leppard but that is just because i think they suck and as a group aren't appropriate for anything not that i find a song they sing in-appropriate for any occasion if those organizing any event wish them to be played i may even dance to it .

Put it this way - Do you honestly feel that playing I Will Survive is going to make yourselves or guests think at the time of this festive celebration " OH MY GAWD why are they playing this song , the wedding is now cursed , this is just wrong , lets get up and leave , i am outraged , this song is not wedding appropriate lets sit down and act sad and stop enjoying the moment etc etc . . .

Can pretty much guarantee you if you do play it more people than not will be like OH MY GAWD I love this song lets dance and many will sing along .

To me it's like saying don't play the chicken dance because it will send the wrong message lol . . . See it's just a silly song .

I Will Survive may not be appropriate in your minds eye , i get it right and of course it's up to ya'll so don't let me influence your decisions . Even though i will add this final note here -

That song wasn't written for you , by you or about you .
It's just a good song , people love to sing and dance to .
I being you , would definitely play it .

Un-rêve
08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I am getting married in a few weeks and over the years I have managed to convert my soon to be wife from somebody who despised Alizée as "that French chick he is way too into" into a begrudged Alizée fan. The En Concert DVD helped a lot with that.

I am currently in the process of picking music to play at the reception and I want to know what the community's views are on good Alizée songs to play at a wedding. I think we are going to make sure that there are at least three or four, enough to enjoy them and expose people but not too much so that we overwhelm people or weird them out with all the French music.

Let me know what you think would be the best to play! Remember, they need to be something people can dance to and enjoy.

Congratulations!!!

If I was to choose an Alizée song to play at my wedding it would be Ella Elle La.

It's very upbeat, and a great song to dance to.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8jlYB5ielJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ella, she has it
What, I don't quite know
Something that others don't have,
that puts us in a funny state

Ella, she has it
Ella, she has it
this gift from the sky that makes her beautiful...

Rev
08-03-2012, 12:25 AM
...Your guests surely know this story of I Will Survive - correct ?

One would think they will request it be played if not for nostalgia but the humor alone . I have to insist you reconsider to play it now ! It's a great song played at many a wedding !! To add mostly it's a BIG part of your lives !....

And, in case they do not know the story, just have the DJ read a one sentence note you give him explaining this is the first song you ever danced to.

Congratulations!!!

If I was to choose an Alizée song to play at my wedding it would be Ella Elle La.

Agreed. :)

Taxi Driver Aaron
08-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Congratulations!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8jlYB5ielJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ella, she has it
What, I don't quite know
Something that others don't have,
that puts us in a funny state

Ella, she has it
Ella, she has it
this gift from the sky that makes her beautiful...

I was thinking the same thing.. that song would be good.

User22
08-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Just saw this thread!!! Congrats Awkward (Soon-To-Be Married) Turtle! This made me smile :D

awkward Turtle
08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Just saw this thread!!! Congrats Awkward (Soon-To-Be Married) Turtle! This made me smile :D

It is actually Awkward (just got married Friday) Turtle. We put a couple of Alizée songs on the "must play" list but I only heard one, JEAM, actually get played. I am a little disappointed that more weren't played, including a number of non-Alizée songs that we requested, but it was a great night and I did manage to expose 196 friends and family to at least a little bit of lily's magic.