PDA

View Full Version : Spam members have received from my e-mail account

Scruffydog777
10-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I've had problems again with my main e-mail account sending out spam. This problem first cropped up when I was in Paris back in march and I opened an e mail that said from dh777. After I opned it, it started sendding out spam to everyone in my address book. Once I got home, I ran virus programs and spam programs and consulted with Comcast support and thought I had the situation resolved.

One extra level of protection I thought I had is I deleted just about all my contacts from this account and if I wanted to send someone an e mail from this account, I would just copy and paste their address from a document file on my computer.

Well it started again last week. On three seperate instances, it sent out spam, but it's sending them out to people who aren't in my address book. So I'm not sure if it's using names from emails in my inbox or sent folders that I haven't deleted, or maybe it kept those names on file. In each case it sent out 8 emails each time, I haven't checked yet to see if it's the same addresses each time.

It's funny but in each case, I received an e-mail from "Gabriel Bordeaux", just before each event happened. I didn't open them, but it almost seemed like them being received was a triggering event for what happened.

I'm also trying to find out from view source exactly where GB is coming from.

I have 2 comcast e-mail accounts. The one in question starts with

dh777

If you've received any spam from me from a different address, please send a message to my google account

scruffydog777@google.com if you so dare.

I called Comcast again to see if there was a way I could set it up so each time I sent out an e-mail, it would require another password to be entered, but it sounded like I was talking to a rep who has a bunch of prepared responses in front of him for each situation a customer has and didn't have anything I hadn't heard before.

To date, my other Comcast account and google account seem to be unaffected.

I'm sorry if this might have inconvenienced anyone and thanks to all who let me know about the problem.

Merci Alizée
10-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Did you try basic stuff like changing your password and checking if the e-mail provider uses some kind of authorization for external applications which may allow spams to be sent?

Fall
10-21-2013, 11:31 PM
I did get a Direct Message from you on Twitter, I opened it and the link too but then closed it immediately. Afterwards I did change my password as MA said, just in case. I don't know if I've gotten any emails though, haven't checked in a few days. I'm sure they suggested the password change to you, but if they haven't, that might be all you need to do :)

Lili4ever
10-24-2013, 05:43 PM
shit, i have opened that email too. I wonder if now everyone in my contacts is getting spam from me ?

lefty12357
10-24-2013, 05:56 PM
I got an email a while back from you Scruffy, probably just before this thread was posted. It had a link in it, but I didn't click on it and just deleted the email. The link had a ".cz" extension on it and no text in the email as to what it was for, so I assumed it might be spam. I got bit once a long time ago so I am more careful nowadays. Anyways, this kind of thing can happen to anyone so don't feel bad about it.

Junkmale
10-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Yp. I got a couple too Scruffy but they were obviously Spam so i just deleted them straight away. Not a big deal...don't concern yourself about it.