PDA

View Full Version : Ajaccio/Corsica posts from Facebook

Scruffydog777
12-26-2015, 09:00 PM
I had mentioned before how Chez Paulo had sent me a friend request in Facebook and now because of this, I see all his posts and he makes a lot of them so I decided to post some of his posts and pictures, some of which are shared from someone else. Some are of Ajaccio, some of Corsica, some of nationalism. I will only post pictures or articles that are marked "share". I will also post some that have been posted in the past few weeks

Edit:

After just starting this thread, I had wanted to go back and not only post what seemed to be posts about nationalism, but do some research into those posts, but I just went to his Facebook page and I saw a lot of pictures apparently taken in Ajaccio, one of which included what looked like a fire engine with smashed windows." So after following a link, I found this article translated by Bing.

"Various facts
Two firefighters and a police officer were injured in the night of Thursday to Friday during a procedure for a fire "deliberately lit for (the) attract (...)" ambush"in a city of Ajaccio, the prefecture has announced.

Two firefighters and a police officer were injured in the night of Thursday to Friday during a procedure for a fire "deliberately lit for (the) attract (...)" ambush"in a city of Ajaccio, the prefecture has announced. Late afternoon Thursday, in the said district of the gardens of the Emperor, the police and municipal services had carried out preventive removal of "400 wood pallets, a ton of tyres and an incendiary", specifies the sub-prefect François Lalanne in a statement.

But during the night, around 0:30, "fire was deliberately lit on the ground of the"Citystade"in the gardens of the emperor to attract the police and firefighters in a guet apens throwing projectiles and in is taking directly to the firefighters", continues François Lalanne. Two firefighters were "seriously" injured by shards of glass after "physicalaggression " during which their intervention vehicle windows have been destroyed, always according to the sub-prefect, evoking "of many young hooded" involved in the clashes.

The intervention of the security forces, during which a police officer was in turn was "slightly" injured, lasted until 2:45 time that calm returned to the district. A baseball bat, golf clubs and a bottle of acid were seized, but no inquiry was held. "Several useful identification elements" were collected, however accurate François Lalanne. "Total and fraternal support to the #pompiers attacked #Aiacciu. Vargogna in quelli ch´anu fattu que"("shame on those who have done it!"), responded on Twitter the new president of the Executive Council of Corsica, GIlles Simeoni. "Aggressione vergugnosa in Aiacciu ("shameful aggression in Ajaccio"): solidarity with the firefighters ', has tweeted Jean-Guy Talamoni, president of the Corsican Assembly."

In seeing the posts in the past few weeks, it seemed like there were still very strong feelings of nationalism there or maybe this was just some type of labor dispute??????

EDIT: I just watched some videos on Chez's site and it looks like there are several of the Moor's head Corsican flags around, so it looks like it did have to do with nationalism, but to attack firemen? I don't think you're going to get much sympathy for you cause by attacking people who's main job is to save lives.

alizeefan
12-26-2015, 09:34 PM
i know nothing only what you write. to say hooded drunken violent rock tossing youth and any peaceful gathering dis-associate the two as its not the causes fault some idiot showed up drunk with a rock, nor did the cause make them toss the rocks.individual action,that they were there for the cause should only shame the individuals and not detract from the cause itself.

is like say at AJ concert i tossed a banner and it hit her in the face by accident,is not AJ concert event fault i was a drunk idiot tossing a banner or concert shirt in her face disrupting the event.but the headlines would read ALIZEEFAN attacks En Concert - ruins event...

Scruffydog777
12-26-2015, 10:21 PM
As I said, in the past few weeks, I've seen a lot of posts on Chez Paulo's page that seem to do with nationalism. Something that drew my attention last week was this picture because I have a lot of interest in WW1 and 2. It's a picture of General Joffre who was one of the Grand Marshalls of the French army. What he said below it was basically, Corsicans came to the front by the boat load, but there were few boats to take them back meaning a lot of them lost their lives. But I clicked on that picture and was kind of shocked at the other words that were on that page. So I think it indicates some very strong feelings and I'm sure it's not just by rowdy teenagers. Still I don't know if it's the voice of many or just a dangerous few.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r536/scruffydog777/general%20joffre_zpsmfa4qecm.jpg (http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/scruffydog777/media/general%20joffre_zpsmfa4qecm.jpg.html)

"The French anti-racist primary Corsicans would do better to be quiet and for those who do not like to hear the speeches, writings, conversations, radio broadcasts, television, magazines, songs in Corsican language ... they stay home but not ... amalgam, they are not all speculators, basic colonizers and certain support us without a second thought, just for love of the most beautiful country in the world and its rebellious people in the soul!
(beware ... not insulting or racist after this comment)"

Edit:

Going through some more posts on Chez's page I found a link to this site which offers news on Corse. I'm not sure if this is a Corsican site or not. One thing it revealed is there are two types of nationalists on Corse. Here's the link to the page and some of the things it said.
http://www.corsenetinfos.corsica/La-presse-internationale-souligne-la-victoire-des-Nationalistes-corses_a18791.html#OAFCp0bFwxFprZHD.99

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r536/scruffydog777/Corsican%20nationalism%202_zpsxi3g5tmb.jpg (http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/scruffydog777/media/Corsican%20nationalism%202_zpsxi3g5tmb.jpg.html)
All the major international media have analyzed this Monday, the results of the second round of French regional elections. And, of course, the victory of Corsican nationalists did not go unnoticed in Europe where many media spoke of the historical moment that Corsica was the scene on Sunday night.
El Dia, El Mundo, El Pais, La Vanguardia, La voz de Galizia, El correo Basco. The list of Iberian daily, who have developed, on their pages, the victory of a Corsica Pé, would be very long to do, but all wrote in unison that "los Nacionalistas Ganan the Corcega" (The Nationalists have won Corsica, ed.)
The echo of the success of a Corsica Pè even rang to Mexico, as reported by the Diario de Yucatan!

Italian newspapers have been less responsive to the nationalism of the victory over the island even if, as we say in addition, the right-wing daily Il Giornale spoke of a historic victory.

Daily on the other side of the sleeve have been decidedly more receptive to change than the Italians. The Guardian, on the Europe page of its website, as the article "Corsican nationalists win historic victory in French elections" (Corsican nationalists win a historic victory in French elections, ed) by reminding the English in Corsica, there two branches of nationalism: the Nationalists seeking reform to promote Corsican identity, and nationalists who want a separation from France. The journalist is the question of whether two years will be sufficient in these two wings of nationalism to learn to govern together.

The British Daily Mail and The Telegraph narrate, too, that victory in headlines that speak more generally of the French elections.

Always across the Channel, the historic political magazine The Spectator devotes a long section to nationalist victory, pondering: "Corsican nationalism is Gaining strength. Could it soon causes problems for France? "(The Corsican nationalism strengthens. Does he not soon cause problems in France?, Ed.)

Lucas
12-27-2015, 05:06 AM
From what I have read and heard in news today, firemen were attacked by masked arabs. According to news, in the mentioned street is living big community of arabs (and other muslims). And as a reaction on attacks, several muslim places were destroyed.

Maybe it has something to do with nationalism, no idea. But with the very bad mood in Europe cause migrants and muslims, simply maybe some people are fed up with the situation. And you dont need to be nationalist.

Ray4AJ
12-27-2015, 02:23 PM
http://www.thelocal.fr/20151227/protests-banned-in-corsica-after-anti-arab-demos

Corsica protests banned after anti-Arab demos

Published: 27 Dec 2015

France banned demonstrations in part of the Corsican capital Ajaccio on Sunday following two days of anti-Arab protests and sectarian tensions.

Security forces also cordoned off Ajaccio's poor Jardins de l'Empereur housing estate, as Corsica's administrator Christophe Mirmand told AFP that the ban would be in effect until at least January 4 and cover "all protests and gatherings".

Hundreds of protesters marched for a second straight day Saturday through several working-class districts of Ajaccio shouting slogans such as "This is our home!" and "Arabs get out".

The unrest followed a Christmas Eve clash in which two firefighters and a police officer were injured at the estate, home to some 1,700 people.

Regional official Francois Lalanne said a fire had been "deliberately lit" in the neighbourhood in a ruse aimed at "ambushing" the emergency services.

A firefighter told French television that "about 20 people armed with iron bars (and) baseball bats" had tried to attack them but were unable to smash through the windows of their truck.

The next day, 600 people gathered in front of police headquarters in Ajaccio in a show of support for the police and firefighters. But some 300 broke away to head for the housing estate.

Shouting xenophobic slogans, the group smashed a Muslim prayer room, partially burning books including copies of the Koran, Lalanne said.

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls wrote on Twitter that the break-in was "an unacceptable desecration", while also condemning the "intolerable attack" on the firefighters.

"This behaviour must stop. It hurts Corsica's image," Mirmand said, describing as "shocking and unacceptable" remarks that could lead to prosecution for hate speech.

The population of France's lush Mediterranean "Isle de Beaute" (Island of Beauty) increases by tenfold during peak tourist season.

The Jardins de l'Empereur (Emperor's Gardens) area perched on an Ajaccio hillside was tense on Sunday amid rumours that a new protest was planned despite the ban.

The unrest came as France remains jittery following the November 13 jihadist attacks in Paris that left 130 dead.

Regional elections in mid-December handed major gains to France's anti-immigration far right, with Corsica's nationalist party winning power for the first time.

Scruffydog777
12-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Sounds like there will be trouble ahead. The Corsican people seem to be a proud and fiercely loyal people. As I had mentioned before, an attack on firefighters who's job is to save lives is a pretty despicable act and it surprised me it might have been done by nationalists. But now to realize it might have done by a related group of people who may have supported the attacks in Paris, well that's no surprise.

Being over 3,000 miles away and speaking a different language, we will probably have to wait a week or two to get a clear picture of what happened and what is the climate there.

I saw the pictures where the attack took place and I saw several Corsican flags that had been hung in the area. I thought they had been put there by who ever carried out the attacks, but now it looks like they were put up after the attacks by people loyal to Corsica. Again, it will probably take time to sort this all out.

Scruffydog777
01-03-2016, 05:07 AM
Recent post by CP;

Today we celebrate sainte geneviève happy holidays to all